• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

help with flashing 3870x2 please

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
would someone mind walking me through the process of flashing my 3870x2 gpu?
thank you..

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
i have an idea but need some help with final steps eg... voltage... core and memory speeds... power play settings... i just want to get a bit more bang for my buck if ya know what i mean :D

System Name Iam-a-computah
Processor i9 9900k @5 Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte Auros z390x
Cooling Custom water loop, x2 280 radiators
Memory 16gb Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 TI FE 11gb WC
Storage SSD: 256gb Samsung 840pro & HHD: WD black 2T
Display(s) LG 34" UW screen
Case EVGA DG-86
Audio Device(s) Creative x-FI
Power Supply EVGA super NOVA 1300wtt
Keyboard G710
Software W 10
my 3870x2 flash guide

I've just recently flashed my 3870 x2's, and well its pretty easy, although you gotta remember that the 3870 x2 has 2 different types of bios [from what i saw] one its, i think, the master[has fan control] and the other one, the slave [no fan control]. To recognize which one is which, i used GPU-z then saved the BIOS of the first card and right after that, open the newly saved BIOS on RBE to check the "Bios version string" which also appears on Ati-Flash [as BIOS p/n] which it would then tell me which adapter that BIOS belongs to. Do this with the second card's BIOS too.

first bios saved from GPU-Z:

second bios saved from GPU-z:

The check which adapter the the bios belongs to:

[to check on ati flash you gotta type the command "atiflash -ai" to see all adapters and their info]

BIOS with "BIOS p/n # 113-B40001-104" belongs to adapter 1

BIOS with "BIOS p/n # 113-B40001-103" belongs to adapter 0

-so remember where each bios belongs.

i have an idea but need some help with final steps eg... voltage... core and memory speeds... power play settings... i just want to get a bit more bang for my buck if ya know what i mean :D

For that check theTutorial on how to use RBE

Last edited:

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
great man thanks.... but typing the command line is so new to me..... where do i do that?
forgive me but i can clock the crap outta cpu's but other things i have no idea about.... and what would ya recommend i set volts at as well as core speeds :toast:

Case EVGA DG-86
Keyboard G710
Software W 10
great man thanks.... but typing the command line is so new to me..... where do i do that?
forgive me but i can clock the crap outta cpu's but other things i have no idea about.... and what would ya recommend i set volts at as well as core speeds :toast:

The commands are simple :), firstly and the most basic of all is to type "atiflash.exe" to star atiflash then:

===

atiflash[space]-p[space]*adapter number*[space]*bios name* --> is to do a normal flash

example: atiflash -p 0 3870bios.bin

===

atiflash -i 0 -->shows basic info of the card in adapter 0 [if you dont type the adapter # atiflash will just give you the info of all the cards you have on]

===

atiflash -ai 0 --> shows advance info of the especified adapter [again if adapter number is not typed atiflash will give you the advance info of all cards]

====

These are just the basic commands required for a BIOS flash, you can also check The Guide to Video BIOS flashing page 8 tells you the commands needed for a proper flash.

-good luck ;)

EDIT:

if you dont know how to use atiflash just refer to the guide. [Easiest way to boot to DOS is by making a bootable USB stick]

-hehe forgot to post ......so far i have my 3870 x2 at 905/1100 1.304v with tweaked fan speeds, I can do more but i live in FL and temps kill me =[

Last edited:

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
The commands are simple :), firstly and the most basic of all is to type "atiflash.exe" to star atiflash then:

===

atiflash[space]-p[space]*adapter number*[space]*bios name* --> is to do a normal flash

example: atiflash -p 0 3870bios.bin

===

atiflash -i 0 -->shows basic info of the card in adapter 0 [if you dont type the adapter # atiflash will just give you the info of all the cards you have on]

===

atiflash -ai 0 --> shows advance info of the especified adapter [again if adapter number is not typed atiflash will give you the advance info of all cards]

====

These are just the basic commands required for a BIOS flash, you can also check The Guide to Video BIOS flashing page 8 tells you the commands needed for a proper flash.

-good luck ;)

EDIT:

if you dont know how to use atiflash just refer to the guide. [Easiest way to boot to DOS is by making a bootable USB stick]

-hehe forgot to post ......so far i have my 3870 x2 at 905/1100 1.304v with tweaked fan speeds, I can do more but i live in FL and temps kill me =[
well thank you so much man..:toast:
i use Amd gpu clock tool that has been modified to o/c both gpu's.... i've ran 910 core and 1110 on the memory.... it gave me a score on pcmark06 of 16741 using this Phenom cpu...thanks again but i cant make a bootable thumb drive.... my Kingston 2ghz stick is grayed out where ya click to make dos bootable :ohwell:.....

Florida? wow.... im in canada and its like +4c here and the room window is open.... my water cooled 3.02ghz cpu is running 23c at idle haha.... god i hate winter.... thanks again Warup89

System Name The Dove Box Rev 3.0
Processor i7 8700k @ 4.7GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus X APEX
Cooling Custom water loop
Memory 16GB 3600 MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) 2x MSI 780 Ti's in SLI
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 PCIe SSD, 4TB
Display(s) 27" Asus 144Hz
Case Enermax Fulmo GT
Audio Device(s) ON BOARD FTW
Power Supply Corsair 1200W
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Win 10 64x
I've just recently flashed my 3870 x2's, and well its pretty easy, although you gotta remember that the 3870 x2 has 2 different types of bios [from what i saw] one its i think the master[has fan control] and the other the slave [no fan control]. To recognize which one is which, i used GPU-z then save the BIOs of the first card and right after that open the newly saved BIOS on RBE to check the "Bios version string" which also appears on Ati-Flash [as BIOS p/n] which it would then tell me which adapter that BIOS belongs to. Do this with the second card's BIOS too.

first bios saved from GPU-Z:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3050/2990074192_ff150cf9b9_o.jpg

second bios saved from GPU-z:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3157/2989219635_70d0edd203_o.jpg
The check which adapter the the bios belongs to:

[to check on ati flash you gotta type the command "atiflash -ai" to see all adapters and their info]

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3293/2989231507_596a42a6b7.jpg
BIOS with "BIOS p/n # 113-B40001-104" belongs to adapter 1

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3182/2989231289_c88a41b019.jpg
BIOS with "BIOS p/n # 113-B40001-103" belongs to adapter 0

-so remember where each bios belongs.

For that check theTutorial on how to use RBE

Thanks for the mini guide. You should publish a full walk through for the peeps who are interested but not wanting to ruin their GPU.

Case EVGA DG-86
Keyboard G710
Software W 10
No probs man :), there are many ways to boot up on DOS, you can also use almost any kind of usb storage device as a bootable drive [psp, d. cameras, external hdd, etc] just make sure to back up your old data ;).

-good luck :toast:

Thanks for the mini guide. You should publish a full walk through for the peeps who are interested but not wanting to ruin their GPU.

Ill look into that :)

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK
Just a note here to the nobs like me, DO NOT USE WINFLASH ON THESE CARDS AS IT WILL AND DOES BRICK THEM!

Awaiting my RMA'S two bricks not one(black eye) ouch!

Also thank you for the guide and this should be made a sticky too......