• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My Project Log:

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Motherboard AsRork x370 Taichi
Cooling EK Custom Loop - CPU only
Memory 32gb G-Skill Trident Z
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 Superclock 2
Storage Too Many
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2450WM-LED 24" & LG 32 IPS
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 500
Software Win10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i5 750 4.62ghz pi runs // Evga FTW p55
Update:

All right it’s been a while since I was able to update with something more then just text.
You’ve seen the fact that the Side panel was finally cut. Man, I gotta say that the money spent on the Bi-metal saw was great buy… The Worst part… RM can even tell ya…I wanted to buy more and more tools! I think I get that from my father. He was a Contracted Carpenter before getting a job in engineering. So, grew up with tools.. lol After getting the cutting done for the raid, it was time to buy… MORE FANS! That’s right.. The total for fans is going to be 15! I probably can throw another 4 fans on this case.. The 4 couldn’t be inside the case because THERE ISN’T any more room for it on the rad from the inside! Lol… You’ll see. Once I got the fans I just made up a 4in1 fan connector.. I didn’t want to wire them up all together because of the fact I may change those out…So, I’ll still have 4 funuctional fans.. So, the 4in1 was the best bet… Plus, I got them from Performance PC, so they where sleeved all ready… lol..

Then from that I connected the fans with the rad.

MMMmmmm, It’s almost done! I can taste the fact that the side panel is screaming for the rad/fans now! Lol… Yes… I’m crazy… Not Paint Chip crazy, but, was raised eating Tuna/cottage cheese for dinner.. Lol..

I think when I went to cut the holes, I should of threw a few layers of Painters tape around the whole side panel.. As you can tell in both pictures, I do have some scruffs now because of just doing the rad area only. But, oh well.. It’s bound to happen.. lol.. Not like the case is going to be displayed to the millions.. If that was the case, I’d wear gloves! Lol..

Damn, that’s a snug fit! I know you love my mock-up pump!
After that, it was time to do the un thinkable..

I took apart my Cosmos.. :cry: I did… I’ve had that thing Ever since December of 2007 when I got it for almost $100 bucks at Compusa. Go, out of business sells! :toast: But, it was time to give it up… Or Was it? Hahahaha…

So, the first thing that I did when I removed it all was to take apart the water cooling so I can get the pump ready for the MM case. I didn’t think it needed to be changed quite yet. I’ve only had it for a year… lol.. So, After I did that, I saw that the damn Power cord was around 2 feet long itself.. So, I think of the no turning back.. Shorten the thing! Damn, I really didn’t want to do it. But, hey, you gotta do it to work it! Lol.

Before:

After:

I couldn’t believe I was able to do it that well.. It even looks like I didn’t even touch the thing! I’m getting better! I hope I am at lease! All the damn fans!! Lol..
Now, it’s time for the swap, and water to go in..

Man, that looks so sweet! So small also! Very! Lol… Man, almost makes me not even put it into the case! :D

Now, a good point to throw out is that because of the total removal of most the case it’s easy to do some of the small things. One, being the filling of the res. As you can see from the above picture, all I had to do is take the top panel off..

When I said eariler that it was a tight fit, I really meant that it’s a TIGHT fit… Think of a young… Never mind, I don’t think we should go that route on thinking :D . But, it was a pita… Doing this side panel rad has made it to where my rig stands apart from any other MM Pinnacle 24 cases out there.. I don’t think I’ve seen one yet like that, or the front panel… But, I gotta say it’s now a bitch to do wiring of some sort… I can’t take the side panel off to screw in the CPU block, and I gotta think, where everything is going while my left hand is in the dark moving it all around.. lol.. Where’s the needle!? Lol..

Yeah, that’s how close my Blu-ray drive is to the fan.. Well, its really just RIGHT ON, the fan, but ntohing going wrong with it! The pump needs to be a little higher so it’s not leaning backwards, but that’s something that will be coming soon..

There will be quite a bit more updates to the rig in the weeks to come.. I still have to wire the lights up with the switches, and then I am going to use the sheet metal I have left over from the cosmos to do a cover for the bay drives.. That way it’s not so.. You know! And I’ll probably buy anohter bay drive cover from MM so I can have something ontop of the sheet metal!. Plus, the big daddy of all.. Frozen Q’s Liquid Chaos!

System Name Main / Home Media Serever
Processor Intel i5 2500k @ 4.75ghz / AMD AM3 5200+ x2
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty P67 Performance / Biostar 790GX
Cooling Xigmatek Dark Knight / XIGMATEK Apache
Memory 12gb of G.Skill Value Series DDR3 / 4x 1gb DDR2
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon 6870 1gb / Asus Radeon 5450 512mb
Storage 2x Samsung 830 64gb SSD Raid 0 & 750gb WD Blue HDD / OCZ Vertex II 80GB & 10TB of HDD Space
Display(s) 2x Acer 24" LED / Samsung 50" LED
Case Xigmatek Asgard II / APEX PC-389-C
Power Supply Rosewill 750w / Antec EArthwatts 380w
Software Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 / Ubuntu 14.04
Wow that really was huge update. Thanks for sharing. Definitely looking forward to seeing more!

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
All right, Some may want to ask, about why my fan set up is the way it is..

Remember a few pages back, I threw out the fact that i was going to do the side panel rad? Well, because of how the side panel was going to be set up now, I thought of doing a blanketed effect for fans.. have the three sides blowing in to the case while the rad sucks everything out.. It's all going to be done via testings so there will be more to come. The fan at the bottom for the GPu's are blowing onto the cards. I forgot all about turning it around when I put the side panel on, then heard it grind onto the sli bridge... lol.. there we go, my bridge be cut via fan! :roll:

I do have to say, I do like the temps right not. Yeah, their at stock, but you can tell a difference!

It's around a 4c drop across the board on CPU. I gotta say going from 5 fans on the triple to 4, and the block change up, I am very happy with the results! Now, I just gotta install Everest and see how this whole thing is doing!!

I do have to say a few things about how I set this up..
  • Front fans make you think half the time they aren't moving!
  • The rad blows some serious air!
  • My feet & Legs are now Freezing because of the rad blowing on the!

:rockout:

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Memory Crucial2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-16000
Video Card(s) CrossfireX 2 X HD 4890 1GB OCed to 1000Mhz
Storage SSD 64GB
Display(s) Envision 24'' 1920x1200
Case Using the desk ATM
Audio Device(s) Sucky onboard for now :(
Power Supply 1000W TruePower Quattro
MADNESS!!!!

I'm in LOVE!

MKmods

Case Mod Guru
System Name Crossflow III
Processor AMD 965 (4.04Ghz)
Motherboard Asus Crosshair III
Cooling Air
Memory 4 gigs Mushkin 7-7-7-20@1T
Video Card(s) single 9800GT
Storage Raptor 150's in Raid0
Display(s) LG Flatron 24"
Case Custom
Audio Device(s) AuzenTech X-Raider W/OP637
Power Supply Custom modded Corsair 750HX
Software Win 7 64/Solaris Utility
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06--21963 so far
I get dizzy looking at all those fans, intakes, exhausts, intakes, more exhausts......you definitely are moving air there...

I really like how you have given thought to airflow, and are trying something different:respect:

Mark_Hardware

System Name Mark1
Processor Intel Core2 Extreme QX9770
Motherboard EVGA 790i FTW PWM
Cooling Koolance Exos 2.5
Memory OCZ SLI PC3 14400 4Gb
Video Card(s) GTX 285 FTW
Storage WD raptor 300 Gb, WD 2tb
Display(s) ASUS 25.5"
Case NZXT Lexa Blackline
Power Supply Tagan BZ 1100w
Software Vista 64bit
Damn that looks sweet man. great work!!

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
I can say, that when I took off the side panel, an gust of air can out and the thing blows like a mofo!

I'm happy with the air flow. I can say that it's not justice on how low I have went on temps.. The before was with a side panel off... My after is with the MM side panel on.. So, you'r probably looking at a 3c upper with the before temps... But, I'm happy all around. Trying something different.. My god I know this isn't done.. I just want to :cry:

I forgot to mention in the update something very key..

I'm going to have to mod the PSU.. The ATX cable is about 2 feet long. With the 8pin for the mobo being around the same size.. So, if it was say, at the bottom of a case it could stretch... Well, now I got about "maybe" 6in from the cable of the psu to the atx/8pin connectors.. So, It looks like I'm going to have to mod that.. I also need to mod the 3 piece power connector for drives.. I can only connect two of the three if I wanted to, so I have to use two.. I want to use as less cables as possible.. But, on a sunnier note, I can reach the bottom of the case, from the back side of the mobo tray, with the 12v1 pcie connectors.. so I was able to hide those wires quite well...

Also, I do want to thank everyone for your help. I have learned quite a bit from this build. I guess I shouldn't of went with a $350 doll case to learn what I have.. lol.. But, it's turning out to be well worth it!

RM, Bro, thanks for the extra hands on this build.. I almost went to try and hide it from ya! Surprise all that I could... That didn't work out! :roll:

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Memory Crucial2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-16000
Video Card(s) CrossfireX 2 X HD 4890 1GB OCed to 1000Mhz
Storage SSD 64GB
Display(s) Envision 24'' 1920x1200
Case Using the desk ATM
Audio Device(s) Sucky onboard for now :(
Power Supply 1000W TruePower Quattro
Does it sound like an Airplane?

p_o_s_pc

F@H&WCG addict
System Name el'lappy|Cruncher | Cruncher 2
Processor intel C2D T6400 | i7 3770k @4.2ghz | AII X2 220 @3.4ghz
Motherboard some Acer | Asus P8Z77-V Pro |Gigabyter GA-M61p-S3
Cooling dual 80mm cooling fan | WC'ing ) |cheapo
Memory 2x2gb ddr3 | 2x2gb Ripjaws 1600 |4x512mb D9s
Video Card(s) onboard | 60 1GB(hd7770 ) |8800GTS
Storage Momuntus xt 320gb |Kingston Hyper X 120gb SATA III|500gb WD
Display(s) 17in | 42" 1080P HD 3D TV
Case lappy case | CM HAF XB |none yet
Audio Device(s) onboard | onboard | onboard
Power Supply Dell brick w/ acer end end | Antec EW 650w |Antec SP 350w(upg.soon)
Software Windows 7 Ult. 64bit---->------->
looks nice... But reading how many times you said tight fit made me think of my gf now i miss her even more :cry:

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
Does it sound like an Airplane?

Nope, doesn't sound like that.. I'm quite amazed that the sound is less then what the cosmos sounded like with just 8 fans... I guess it doesn't help when the cosmos had 44db fans in it... lol

looks nice... But reading how many times you said tight fit made me think of my gf now i miss her even more :cry:[url]http://smiliesftw.com/x/sadpace.gif[/URL][url]http://smiliesftw.com/x/emo.gif[/URL]

lol... I was trying not to get that stuff going! lol I promise!

System Name StarCruiser Dark Knight v.2
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-3570K
Motherboard P8Z77-V LX
Cooling 1x custom W/C loop/ inflow:6x120 /outflow:4x120, 2x200
Memory Viper 3 Black Mamba (4x4GB)
Video Card(s) Powercolor LCS 5870
Storage 1X 128GB OCZ, 2 x 1.500 Gb Seagate
Display(s) Samsung 24" LC24F396
Case custom MDF case (I BUILT IT) check sig.....NOW
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Tagan 900 watt
Software Win 7 RC / Open office / Games
firstly, thanks for the update! looks super great....
It good to see you are taking your time with this, as well as trying new ideas. I agree with MK..this must be good for air flow on the rad! :respect:

good luck modding the PSU.... keep us updated!:toast:

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
thanks. im going to be doing alot of research for the psu mod. should be easy just time taker!!

thoughtdisorder

System Name Decent Lappy
Cs, it has been quite interesting watching this rig as it goes through it's transitions. Watching you guys saw and drill and leave metal shavings all over the front and back porches has been fun and interesting. (Lol) The rig is looking sweet my man!

VERY nice work! :toast:

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 360 A-RGB // X12 Phanteks D30-120 D-RGB Fans
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series (AMD Expo) DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MT/s CL30
Video Card(s) ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme AIRO
Storage Samsung Pro 980 2TB NVMe (OS and Games) // WD Black 10TB HDD (Storage)
Display(s) SAMSUNG 34-Inch SJ55W Ultrawide Gaming Monitor (LS34J550WQNXZA) – 75Hz Refresh WQHD Computer Monitor
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex GX-1200, 1200W 80+ Gold, ATX 3.0
Software Windows 11 Pro
hey CS, love how this rig came out bro :toast: I love the pump top as well, i've been thinking of getting one :rockout:

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
Cs, it has been quite interesting watching this rig as it goes through it's transitions. Watching you guys saw and drill and leave metal shavings all over the front and back porches has been fun and interesting. (Lol) The rig is looking sweet my man!

VERY nice work! :toast:

lol.. sorry about the shavings. Next time I know to hose down the area after doing so. But, I do thank you for letting me use the area.

:toast: I'll have to bring it over, it's not as heavy as the Cosmos was, and let you see the baby first hand!

hey CS, love how this rig came out bro :toast: I love the pump top as well, i've been thinking of getting one :rockout:

I do love the pump top, I really got to say that. The only thing that's wrong with it is the fact that I wasn't able to use the Fancy pump cover for it that I bought from PPC... so that was a waste of 40 bucks.. lol.. it covers about 1/3rd of the pump, and there isn't the ability to screw it in.. lol.. So, I'm thinking of getting a Alphacool pump and getting more then 375 gph out of the loop.. Still a thought.. lol.. The MCP655 is a sweet pump. Just thinking of more things.. lol

thoughtdisorder

System Name Decent Lappy
lol.. sorry about the shavings. Next time I know to hose down the area after doing so. But, I do thank you for letting me use the area.

:toast: I'll have to bring it over, it's not as heavy as the Cosmos was, and let you see the baby first hand!

I do love the pump top, I really got to say that. The only thing that's wrong with it is the fact that I wasn't able to use the Fancy pump cover for it that I bought from PPC... so that was a waste of 40 bucks.. lol.. it covers about 1/3rd of the pump, and there isn't the ability to screw it in.. lol.. So, I'm thinking of getting a Alphacool pump and getting more then 375 gph out of the loop.. Still a thought.. lol.. The MCP655 is a sweet pump. Just thinking of more things.. lol

Dude, it's all I good! You know me, I just like breaking you and RM's stones every chance I get! :D

System Name Stealth 2 Duo Turbine
Processor Intel e6850 @ 3.8ghz
Motherboard Asus Striker Extreme
Cooling CoolerMaster V8 Modded With 2 white LED's & 100CFM fan
Memory OCZ DDR2 1066_ SLI Black-4GB
Video Card(s) 2xMSI 8800GT"s SLI
Storage <<HDD For OS>> 2x150GB_Western Digital Raptor_Raid 0. <<HDD For Storage>> 3 x 1TB
Display(s) ACER B273HU 27" LCD 2048x1152
Case Apex SuperCase_Custom 7 month Build
Audio Device(s) Striker Extreme Add-In Card HD-Audio
Power Supply EnerMax INFINITI 720watt
Software SE7VEN ULTIMATE 64bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark01=NTTA, 3Dmark06=NTTA 3Dmark_Vantage=NTTA, Core Temp v0.99.5=28C
Nice work, your using the space given, also no were to hide wires, & it still looks neat.

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
Dude, it's all I good! You know me, I just like breaking you and RM's stones every chance I get! :D

I know, "dad" you gotta go and bust are blocks every chance you get!
:toast:

Nice work, your using the space given, also no were to hide wires, & it still looks neat.

Thank you for those words steelkane. They do mean a lot coming from you.
:respect:

Now, Gotta think of the next thing I want to do! lol

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
Well, i got in the three last barb to make it look "a little" better.

I do say it's a lot nicer in the system.. Now, I just gotta think of what i want to do..

Still gotta do:
  • Sheet Metal cover for bay
  • Wiring for switches
  • To do/ not do the wiring on the psu... Steelkane got me to think not to since it's still well hidden.
  • Emblem for the top of the bay

Then what I'm thinking of.... NB cooling... the nb is hot as it is, but I'm still thinking of if I really want to do that, or do cooling with another board... This set up is going to be there for time to come.. So, get the 790i Ultra for something that doesn't have a FSB hole, or just say finish... lol... I want to get done with this... i got a huge idea for the next set up!!! Next build!

freaksavior

To infinity ... and beyond!
System Name ZeroUptime | M.A.S.S / MM1
Processor Xeon 2659 v3 / Xeon 2683 v4 / ARM A14
Motherboard Asus X99-E-10G WS / ASRock x99 usb 3.1 / Apple
Cooling NZXT Kraken / Noctua NH-L12 / Apple
Memory 16Gb DDR4 / 32Gb DDR4 / 16GB HBLM
Video Card(s) Powercooler ATI vega 64 / GT 7300 / ARM
Storage Samsung 970 512 Evo NVMe / A lot. / 256 + 512 External TB3
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 / Headless / Acer X34 Non predator
Case NZXT H630 |Rosewill 8bay 4u server chasiss / MMM1
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Onboard / Onboard
Power Supply Corais HX850 | Corsair TX750 / Internal 250w
Mouse g502 proteus core / Headless / g502 proteus core
Keyboard Corsair K95 Cherry Blue / Headless / K65 Cherry Red
Software Windows 10 / ESXI / Big Sur 11.2.2
dude that looks nice :)

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
I think I need to sleeve the Switch box cable! lol... The blue cable that is right under the PSU, next to the mobo tray fan.

But, I gotta say, the switch box sure does look sweet

Now, I just want to build one via wood. I like the Plexi one... but wood would look sweet!

I'm going to be picking up some new sleeving.

https://www.wirecare.com/products.asp?prodline=NM

It's suppose to be able to sleeve anything and still not show the wires of what it is sleeving.. So, Plus!!!

System Name StarCruiser Dark Knight v.2
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-3570K
Motherboard P8Z77-V LX
Cooling 1x custom W/C loop/ inflow:6x120 /outflow:4x120, 2x200
Memory Viper 3 Black Mamba (4x4GB)
Video Card(s) Powercolor LCS 5870
Storage 1X 128GB OCZ, 2 x 1.500 Gb Seagate
Display(s) Samsung 24" LC24F396
Case custom MDF case (I BUILT IT) check sig.....NOW
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Tagan 900 watt
Software Win 7 RC / Open office / Games
great work so far CS!

Really tidy for a case with limited cable hiding options.... you manage those cables superbly! And I know that must have taken you a while!

Now, what is your plan with the wooden switch box?
copy of the plexy one? is it going to have a plexy top? maybe a colored plexy!?

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
great work so far CS!

Really tidy for a case with limited cable hiding options.... you manage those cables superbly! And I know that must have taken you a while!

Now, what is your plan with the wooden switch box?
copy of the plexy one? is it going to have a plexy top? maybe a colored plexy!?

Thanks. The cabling took some time.. It would be a lot easier to do the cabling if I didn't do the rad on the side panel.. I could just take the panel off, and do it all right there... But, still does look good...

I believe that the switch box will be a project log. That way people can see what to do, and others can have one as well! :rockout:

Just going to start that once I get my next weekend off...

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 360 A-RGB // X12 Phanteks D30-120 D-RGB Fans
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series (AMD Expo) DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MT/s CL30
Video Card(s) ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme AIRO
Storage Samsung Pro 980 2TB NVMe (OS and Games) // WD Black 10TB HDD (Storage)
Display(s) SAMSUNG 34-Inch SJ55W Ultrawide Gaming Monitor (LS34J550WQNXZA) – 75Hz Refresh WQHD Computer Monitor
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex GX-1200, 1200W 80+ Gold, ATX 3.0
Software Windows 11 Pro
looking good CS. Just looked at the pics quickly, I like it man. I would have just gone with different color tubing, grey is not my favorite. However, loooks good nonetheless :toast:

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
Yeah, I need to get the lighting into this case so I can see if I really want the Silver tubing... It's suppose to be UV/Blue active so that's the reason I went for it.. If I don't like it with the lighting, then I'll probably go with some black tubing... Or, Blue...