• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Accelero Xtreme GTX 280 mini review and support

System Name Silent allround
Processor i5 750 @ 3,0Ghz 1.04v / 3.4Ghz 1.11v/ 3,6Ghz 1.15v
Motherboard Gigabyte P55-USB3
Cooling Thermalright IFX-14 + Scythe Slip Stream 140mm @ 600RPM
Memory 2 x 4GB Samsung M378B5273DH0-CH9 @ 2000 MHz 9-10-10-27 T1
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 5870 Vapor-X @ 940/1270
Storage Intel Postville 80GB SSD & Western Digital Green 2TB
Display(s) Dell Ultrasharp U2412M
Case Bitfenix Merc Alpha
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2 with Unified Drivers
Power Supply Nexus NX-5000 R3 530W
Software Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Benchmark Scores Super pi 1M : 8,549s @ 4,7Ghz (Core i7 920)
That's sick dude :eek: But it seems there is no VRM temperature drop against 0.825V so I would keep something little over 0.8V, just to be sure :)

Working fine so far , but I might flash to 0.80v i must test a little bit more

xmas2

to: darkseph

uff, hardly read it through :)
As for video port - if it needs only to cut some fins off then it'll be easy, but if heatpipe is in the way then i'd suggest going for something like Thermalright HR-03 GTX.
As for RAM chips, VRM chips and (forgot the name of that small chip near video ports) - if supplied heatsinks won't fit then as far as i can see you can replace all of them with something from EnzoTech.
you can use original backplate for cooling rams on the back, you can cut the VRM part from original cooler also (same as written for GTX in post nr.11), i think that RAM heatsink will fit also from Accelero so you'll need only some additional heatsinks from Enzo to cover all chips, but for chip next to video ports you'll have to try something like http://www.enzotechnology.com/cnb_s1l.htm with making holes to fix it on the card (if size is big enough).

If you were in my country then my friend could do you a custom heatsink from copper for water cooling - that would be the best mod for this card :)

darkseph

Gah...I totally ignored the heatpipe problem. I suppose there is some room left out for the video port, but the double DVI port will be a problem...I would have to cut the heatpipes, I suppose...which kinds of defeats the purpose of it. .. :( The Thermalright cooler is no option, its way too huge, sadly...damn it. Anyone have any other suggestion?

Thanks xmas for the advice - I suppose custom water cooling would be best, yeah..but I used to have a watercooled system which finally broke down and I don't feel like investing in a whole new loop...I thought I could slap a high end air cooler on my high end card, guess I will run into problems due to a damn heatpipe...

Cheers,
Seph

Retro*

Processor 2500K
Motherboard Asus M4E
Memory Corsair Doms
Video Card(s) 7950 Crossfire
Storage Samsung 830 256GB
Display(s) Acer X223w
Case TJ07
Power Supply XFX Seasonic OEM 1250
Software W7 64 Pro
And I sure am crazy, but... I want to mount the Xtreme to my Nvidia Quadro FX 5800. Now before you scream "Are you retarded!?" and "Warranty!" let me tell you that I bought the card as an OEM without any Quadro like guarantee, and as such didn't pay a quadro like price (mind you, still the price of 3 GTX 280 cards, but not of 10...). So I read up on the entire thread, getting more and more worried about the different layouts of all the different 200er boards. It took me a while to find a dismantled quadro FX 4800 (which is basically the same as the fx 5800 but with 4 GB Ram instead of 1.5, a different placement of the connection panel and a second PCI power connector at the back). To be seen here:

http://www.quadro.net.cn/uploads/FX4800/Quadro_FX4800_5.jpg

http://www.quadro.net.cn/uploads/FX4800/Quadro_FX4800_4.jpg

http://www.quadro.net.cn/uploads/FX4800/Quadro_FX4800_7.jpg

(More images here: http://www.quadro.net.cn/Pro_DocumentReading.aspx?id=1465)

Now seeing that, it appears to be quite alot like the original GTX 280 (though the quadros are 55nm), yet there are a few minor differences as far as I can tell. In addition to the Accelero, what sinks would be absolutely the best for this particular layout, in your opinion? For ramsinks, I see noone mentioned the low profile copper ones by Enzotech - the BCC9 - would they be good? (http://www.enzotechnology.com/bcc9.htm). I can get most of the other Enzos too, if needed. I want to make this mod as perfect as possible, as this card is really dear to me - hence the upgrade at all. My temperatures are kind of too high for my liking, Idling at about 67 one the core (I set the fanspeed to 50 percent minimum to get at least 58 degrees on idle) and hitting abut 86 degrees max in Furmark.

The stock cooler really is worse than the standard GTX 28X ones, as the addition of the Video out on top really shrinked the exhaust holes to a minimum.

http://www.inet.sk/images/user/tomsik/grafika3.png

Which brings me to the biggest problem, probably. As can be seen, the video out port is actually a seperate mini board attached to the stock cooler and connected to the main board through a cable - I would somehow have to mod the Accelero to fit that miniature board in there and probably also damage the stock cooler in the process in which case I could just as well hack some portions of the heatsink off.

Anyways, I would welcome any suggestions and will surely take lots of pictures of the mod (and the first dismantled FX 5800 pictures on the net, probably...)

Sorry for the long post and thank you for the guide and everything in this thread, it really got me to believe that this was possible .. :)

All the best!

darkseph

Not wanting to knock the Accelero, I really like that cooler and this wonderful thread by OnBoard:) Unfortunately, the Accelero wasn't available when I bought my HR-03GTX. However, for your card, the HR-03GTX, along with some Enzotech sinks, may be a suitable fit? However, I am not certain how the heatpipe issue you mentioned would affect your card. The heatpipes can be carefully bent upwards if there is a small clearance issue.
Here are some photos of my setup so you can evaluate how the various sinks may fit on your card:

Last edited:

darkseph

Thank you, Retro. Awesome pictures...but man, that thing is so huge. I am wondering, what kind of temperatures do you get with that setup?

My problem is, I have a PCI Express Asus Xonar DX2 and that Thermalright cooler with fans (and ramsinks on the other side) would block all my available slots... :(

Thanks again, I am tying to wrap my brain around these solutions. Is there anyway to cut a heatpipe without destroying it? or bent/dent it?

I might be stuck with the stock cooler...oh no .. :D

Regards,
Seph

Retro*

Processor 2500K
Motherboard Asus M4E
Memory Corsair Doms
Display(s) Acer X223w
Case TJ07
Software W7 64 Pro
Gah...I totally ignored the heatpipe problem. I suppose there is some room left out for the video port, but the double DVI port will be a problem...I would have to cut the heatpipes, I suppose...which kinds of defeats the purpose of it. .. :( The Thermalright cooler is no option, its way too huge, sadly...damn it. Anyone have any other suggestion?

Thanks xmas for the advice - I suppose custom water cooling would be best, yeah..but I used to have a watercooled system which finally broke down and I don't feel like investing in a whole new loop...I thought I could slap a high end air cooler on my high end card, guess I will run into problems due to a damn heatpipe...

Cheers,
Seph
Edit: Sorry, I am posting a bit later than you are! My temps. are very good on the gpu, about a 20C reduction, but the vrms, although fine for gaming and most 3D work, do tend to get hot still when I run Furmark, they can get into the 120C's after three minutes of running it. I think OnBoard does a lot better with his modded Accelero in that respect:D And yes, the HR-03GTX does eat up all PCI-E slots below the card. I often wonder if I should have just gone to water cooling as well:p

Here is a possible option, with the D-Tek Uni-Sink & GFX-2 block, if you do go to water cooling again, although the sink may need to be modded for clearance. It may allow for easier modding than a full-coverage block, due to the separate water block and heatsink design, they are two separate pieces. I have some plans of my own with the Uni-Sink plate, (less the water block);)

OnBoard:
I have the above pictured Uni-Sink plate on order from D-Tek (without the water block). I don't know how well it would clear the Accelero, but I have decided to try it, along with my backplate, for better overall vrm cooling, and a straighter pcb! I was attempting to try your "cutting off the stock plate vrm section" mod, but I screwed it up and cracked the stock plate while hacksawing it off:p

I then tried a mod suggested by BababooeyHTJ, where you use the supplied Thermalright vrm plate and fit the Enzotech sinks into it. I was able to mod my TR plate by drilling 7/16" holes into the vrm indentations, and then lapped them down flush. Then I fitted the plate onto my existing Enzotech sinks, clipping it down onto the board. This didn't help the vrm temps (when running Furmark) very much, maybe only a degree or two. But it sure keeps the sinks attached to the card now:D

I will report back if I am able to get the Uni-Sink to fit with my HR-03GTX. Who knows, it may work with the Accelero too.

Last edited:
Case Bitfenix Merc Alpha
Not wanting to knock the Accelero, I really like that cooler and this wonderful thread by OnBoard:) Unfortunately, the Accelero wasn't available when I bought my HR-03GTX. However, for your card, the HR-03GTX, along with some Enzotech sinks, may be a suitable fit? However, I am not certain how the heatpipe issue you mentioned would affect your card. The heatpipes can be carefully bent upwards if there is a small clearance issue.
Here are some photos of my setup so you can evaluate how the various sinks may fit on your card:
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee300/DerComissar/Picture001.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee300/DerComissar/Picture003.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee300/DerComissar/IMG_2065.jpg

Nice looking card :toast:

Retro*

Processor 2500K
Motherboard Asus M4E
Memory Corsair Doms
Display(s) Acer X223w
Case TJ07
Software W7 64 Pro
Nice looking card :toast:
Thank-you!
I must emphasize that I posted those shots for darkseph just in case they would be of any help for his Quadro card. My TR solution works well for the gpu, not so good for the vrm's. But from a looks and overall size standpoint, as well as it's terrific performance, I think the Accelero wins hands-down. Since I have a crazy habit of trying new ways of cooling my card all the time, I may very well be fitting an Accelero onto it one day:p

But first I am going to play with the Uni-Sink when it is delivered.

I have been following your voltage reduction results with interest, they are working very well for you. OnBoard has done some of that as well, and I think it is a great idea for getting the temps. down. Also had a look at your I7 overclocking with very low v-core:toast:

Last edited:

xmas2

to tell you how to do with heatpipe we'll need to see pictures of accelero put on your video card.
maybe it'll fit without modifications, maybe some fins will have to be cut out, maybe just to cut some fins round the heatpipe and then bend the end of the pipe a bit...
if you don't use two monitors - see if you can remove the second video port at all :) (i hade one card with had second port connected with wires, so i just unscrewed it and moved to the side, and once moved even to the backside of the card

Case Bitfenix Merc Alpha
to tell you how to do with heatpipe we'll need to see pictures of accelero put on your video card.
maybe it'll fit without modifications, maybe some fins will have to be cut out, maybe just to cut some fins round the heatpipe and then bend the end of the pipe a bit...
if you don't use two monitors - see if you can remove the second video port at all :) (i hade one card with had second port connected with wires, so i just unscrewed it and moved to the side, and once moved even to the backside of the card
why not use the quote button?

xmas2

doesn't work for some unknown reason when using on this PC (will be formatting it this evening)

OnBoard

Processor Core i5-750 @ 3.6GHz 1.136V 24/7
Motherboard Gigabyte P55A-UD3, SATA 6Gbit/s & USB3.0 baby!
Cooling Alpenföhn Brocken HeatpipeDirectTouch
Memory Geil Ultra Series 4GB 2133MHz DDR3 @ 1440MHz 7-7-7-24
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB OC (mostly stock speeds)
Storage OS: Samsung F3 500GB Games: Samsung F1 640GB
Display(s) new! Samsung P2350 23" FullHD 2ms / Mirai DTL-632E500 32" LCD
Case new! Xigmatek Midgard/Utgard side window with red cathodes, 1x140mm & 3x120mm fans
Audio Device(s) new! ASUS Xonar DG & JVC HA-RX700 headphones
Power Supply Cougar CM 700W Modular
Benchmark Scores Logitech UltraX Premium & G5 laser v2 + Ulti-mat Breathe X2 for fragging
And I sure am crazy, but... I want to mount the Xtreme to my Nvidia Quadro FX 5800. Now before you scream "Are you retarded!?" and "Warranty!" let me tell you that I bought the card as an OEM without any Quadro like guarantee, and as such didn't pay a quadro like price (mind you, still the price of 3 GTX 280 cards, but not of 10...).

Anyways, I would welcome any suggestions and will surely take lots of pictures of the mod (and the first dismantled FX 5800 pictures on the net, probably...)

Sorry for the long post and thank you for the guide and everything in this thread, it really got me to believe that this was possible .. :)

Heh I ruined my warranty on the first page, doubt there would be such shouts even if it was was way expensive.

Pics of that card would be awesome, something rare and special. I have a hard time getting those pictures open, so I can't say anything about the fit at the moment. I'll post more once I get them open. The one picture that did open makes it look like GTX 280 with bottom VRM missing.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee300/DerComissar/NV200-1.jpg
OnBoard:
I have the above pictured Uni-Sink plate on order from D-Tek (without the water block). I don't know how well it would clear the Accelero, but I have decided to try it, along with my backplate, for better overall vrm cooling, and a straighter pcb! I was attempting to try your "cutting off the stock plate vrm section" mod, but I screwed it up and cracked the stock plate while hacksawing it off:p

I then tried a mod suggested by BababooeyHTJ, where you use the supplied Thermalright vrm plate and fit the Enzotech sinks into it. I was able to mod my TR plate by drilling 7/16" holes into the vrm indentations, and then lapped them down flush. Then I fitted the plate onto my existing Enzotech sinks, clipping it down onto the board. This didn't help the vrm temps (when running Furmark) very much, maybe only a degree or two. But it sure keeps the sinks attached to the card now:D

I will report back if I am able to get the Uni-Sink to fit with my HR-03GTX. Who knows, it may work with the Accelero too.

That sinks looks great, how much was it? (edit: found it) Sorry to hear that the stock VRM mod didn't go quite as planned :D (you didn't seem too sad about it, so I think grinning is fine) Have you got pictures of the Thermalright-Enzotech VRM fusion, would surely look funky too :)

Waiting to hear how it goes with that Uni-sink too.

edit: looks like it has thermaltapes on bottom, so no paste mounts. But surely it'll still cool well.

Last edited:

OnBoard

Case new! Xigmatek Midgard/Utgard side window with red cathodes, 1x140mm & 3x120mm fans
Benchmark Scores Logitech UltraX Premium & G5 laser v2 + Ulti-mat Breathe X2 for fragging
So I read up on the entire thread, getting more and more worried about the different layouts of all the different 200er boards. It took me a while to find a dismantled quadro FX 4800 (which is basically the same as the fx 5800 but with 4 GB Ram instead of 1.5, a different placement of the connection panel and a second PCI power connector at the back). To be seen here:

Now seeing that, it appears to be quite alot like the original GTX 280 (though the quadros are 55nm), yet there are a few minor differences as far as I can tell. In addition to the Accelero, what sinks would be absolutely the best for this particular layout, in your opinion? For ramsinks, I see noone mentioned the low profile copper ones by Enzotech - the BCC9 - would they be good? (http://www.enzotechnology.com/bcc9.htm). I can get most of the other Enzos too, if needed. I want to make this mod as perfect as possible, as this card is really dear to me - hence the upgrade at all.

Which brings me to the biggest problem, probably. As can be seen, the video out port is actually a seperate mini board attached to the stock cooler and connected to the main board through a cable - I would somehow have to mod the Accelero to fit that miniature board in there and probably also damage the stock cooler in the process in which case I could just as well hack some portions of the heatsink off.

Now I got the pictures to load and made a picture of mine what is needed to be done at minimum to Accelero to make it fit.

As for the copper ramsinks, they aren't mentioned as aluminum sinks are enough, but yes they would be better and look great :) (as seen on Retro*'s card)

edit: Quadro has only 3 mounting holes for NVIO chip, so custom sinks there are not so easy. The Accelero sink might work fine, as it uses only those 2 middle holes.

You would have to lose the S-video port (but you have hdmi already, so it isn't even needed). The cut the last about 10 fins (orange lines on below picture) off to make door for DVI ports. Probably a bit more as you'd have to bend the 2 remaining heatpipes somewhere there too.

Or maybe cut with the pink line and take all the fins off the last 2 pipes and then bend them half in the remaining space.

Or then take Thermalright HR-03 GTX and bend all the pipes so that the heatsink fins are in 90 degree angle and float above the extension slots. Don't know if you could fit any fans there after that though :)

Last edited:

Retro*

Processor 2500K
Motherboard Asus M4E
Memory Corsair Doms
Display(s) Acer X223w
Case TJ07
Software W7 64 Pro
That sinks looks great, how much was it? (edit: found it) Sorry to hear that the stock VRM mod didn't go quite as planned :D (you didn't seem too sad about it, so I think grinning is fine) Have you got pictures of the Thermalright-Enzotech VRM fusion, would surely look funky too :)

Waiting to hear how it goes with that Uni-sink too.

edit: looks like it has thermaltapes on bottom, so no paste mounts. But surely it'll still cool well.
http://img.techpowerup.org/090810/unisink.jpg
The Uni-sink does look good, not too pricey at $34.99 on their US site, but it's going to cost me about $65 with shipping. There is an expression in North America called "Money Pit":D

It's quite ok to grin about me destroying the stock vrm sink area with my bad cutting job:D I find in life you must have a sense of humor to get through it all. Like you said about ruining your warranty on the first page, I chose to do so as well. A year or two from now, this card will probably be in an older system while I play with a 300 series card, or maybe something from ATI/AMD:p But I still want to enjoy it for a while yet.
I will get a shot of my funky Thermenzoright plate and post it soon. I think Babs would be interested in seeing my take on his idea when he is checking into this thread.

The Uni-Sink is still on route from Los Angeles, should be here this week. It does come with thermal pads, but there is a thread I saw elsewhere where someone cut it into three sections and used thermal paste on it:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=230514
With my record I shouldn't attempt that:p But I may need to do some cutting to get the heatsink to fit with it. I bought a dremel tool recently which may come in handy.

Just looking at your post #513 above, that's a good job on that layout for modding an Accelero for the Quadro card. Now that would be quite a project!

darkseph

Now I got the pictures to load and made a picture of mine what is needed to be done at minimum to Accelero to make it fit.

As for the copper ramsinks, they aren't mentioned as aluminum sinks are enough, but yes they would be better and look great :) (as seen on Retro*'s card)

edit: Quadro has only 3 mounting holes for NVIO chip, so custom sinks there are not so easy. The Accelero sink might work fine, as it uses only those 2 middle holes.

You would have to lose the S-video port (but you have hdmi already, so it isn't even needed). The cut the last about 10 fins (orange lines on below picture) off to make door for DVI ports. Probably a bit more as you'd have to bend the 2 remaining heatpipes somewhere there too.

Or maybe cut with the pink line and take all the fins off the last 2 pipes and then bend them half in the remaining space.

Or then take Thermalright HR-03 GTX and bend all the pipes so that the heatsink fins are in 90 degree angle and float above the extension slots. Don't know if you could fit any fans there after that though :)

Hey and many thanks!!! Seems like it is indeed possible, yes :) I am still not sure, what was the best method to cool the VRMs now, the original sink hacksaw method? And how did it stack up against the stock cooler? I got lost somewhere between page 5 and 15 as to who had what temps on the VRMs with what solution...

As for the S-Video port - I would like to keep it, as I have an analog TV Monitor for video editing hooked up. And I don't have HDMI, but Displayport (looks almost the same). And I do need both DVI's too... hmm....I guess I should contact Arctic Cooling about a custom build cooler ;)

I didn't get your suggestion about the Thermalright HR-03 GTX..could you explain that a bit more?

On another note, I checked out the product sites of Sparkle, Galaxy, Zotac and Inno3D., all of whom were originally announced to use a custom Accelero built setup of GTX 280ies and 285ies. Weird thing is that except for Sparkle, they were all taken out. I THINK there is a 260 Galaxy one with the accelero. I do suppose this has something to do with the weak VRM cooling solutions, because in all other regards, the Accelero seems to rule. There were many reports about dead or dying fans though, another point of concern to me...

Anyways, thank you again! I didn't order the Accelero yet as I have still to make up my mind...

All the best!!!

darkseph

System Name not very good (wants throwing out window most of time)
Processor xp3000@ 2.17ghz pile of sh** /i7 920 DO on air for now
Motherboard msi kt6 delta oap /gigabyte x58 ud7 (rev1.0)
Cooling 1 green akasa 8cm(rear) 1 multicoloured akasa(hd) 1 12 cm (intake) 1 9cm with circuit from old psu
Memory 1.25 gb kingston hyperx @333mhz/ 3gb corsair dominator xmp 1600mhz
Video Card(s) (agp) hd3850 not bad not really suitable for mobo n processor/ gb hd5870
Storage wd 320gb + samsung 320 gig + wd 1tb 6gb/s
Display(s) compaq mv720
Case thermaltake XaserIII skull / coolermaster cm 690II
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply corsair hx 650 w which solved many problems (blew up) /850w corsair
Software xp pro sp3/ ? win 7 ultimate (32 bit)
Benchmark Scores 6543 3d mark05 ye ye not good but look at the processor /uknown as still not benched
Well said:toast:
I see this comment about the heat not being vented out the back a lot. Those who think that all the heat should just be magically blown out the back of the case, do not understand that, for a good aftermarket heatsink, such a design that would actually vent all of the heat completely out of the case has never been made and likely never will, as it is totally impractical from a cost/design standpoint.
Just imagine trying to make a custom shroud that totally encloses and seals your Accelero and video card so all the air has to go out the back of the case:p

Most modern cases have more than sufficient airflow to take care of the heat produced inside the case from the video card.
As you mentioned about the 20C GPU temperature reduction, I have found that is typical for a good aftermarket cooler.
Which further shows how inefficient the typical stock video card heatsink, that "vents the hot air out of the back of the case", is:D

well i have to agree that some cards (like my 3850:p) don't vent outside at all :laugh:
but joking aside i still beleive it is best to vent the hot air out as caps have a nasty habit of popping when they get 2 hot
i still can't get over my 3850's fan blowing hot air directly at my caps now that just makes me

Retro*

Processor 2500K
Motherboard Asus M4E
Memory Corsair Doms
Display(s) Acer X223w
Case TJ07
Software W7 64 Pro
well i have to agree that some cards (like my 3850:p) don't vent outside at all :laugh:
but joking aside i still beleive it is best to vent the hot air out as caps have a nasty habit of popping when they get 2 hot
i still can't get over my 3850's fan blowing hot air directly at my caps now that just makes me http://www.snesorama.us/board/images/smilies/scared.gif
That would be nice if it could first be blown out the case with these aftermarket sinks. My 280 could heat a good part of my house!
I did find it interesting that when I put together a build for a friend, I ran his card, a stock 4870, at 100% fan speed while running Vantage. I put my hand at the slotted vent area out the back of the card, and could not believe how much super-heated air was blowing out of that card. The stock fan was too noisy to leave at that speed, but it shows how much of the heat does actually leave the case with that design. I think the 4870 has one of the better stock heatsink designs for actually pushing the air out.

OnBoard

Hey and many thanks!!! Seems like it is indeed possible, yes :) I am still not sure, what was the best method to cool the VRMs now, the original sink hacksaw method? And how did it stack up against the stock cooler? I got lost somewhere between page 5 and 15 as to who had what temps on the VRMs with what solution...

As for the S-Video port - I would like to keep it, as I have an analog TV Monitor for video editing hooked up. And I don't have HDMI, but Displayport (looks almost the same). And I do need both DVI's too... hmm....I guess I should contact Arctic Cooling about a custom build cooler ;)

I didn't get your suggestion about the Thermalright HR-03 GTX..could you explain that a bit more?

Anyways, thank you again! I didn't order the Accelero yet as I have still to make up my mind...

Stock cooler wins on the VRM temps, but Accelero+stock VRM cooler part gets close. Don't know how Enzotechs come into that mix, as people get a bit different temps on different cards. If you can use the Enzotech sinks without cutting them, they probably beat my solution. Them shaved up is likely about the same.

If you need the S-Video too, I think it would be better (easier) to go with Thermalright. You'd have to take so much of the fins of the other side to make room for all the connectors.

Here's what I meant with the bent HR-03 GTX:
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=100653728&mpage=2&key=&#100696880

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=100653728&mpage=1&key=&#100655932

There's also more pictures in the link above the first picture and if you look at the thread, there you'll see Accelero+all Enzotech on a GTX 285. Memory sinks are a bit high on the top.

The HR-03 isn't installed on Accelero on that (as it's an earlier model) but you get the idea. You wouldn't need to cut anything and plenty of space too for heatsinks on the card. VRM area would need an additional fan, as the HR-03 fan would be blowing on different direction.

OnBoard

i still can't get over my 3850's fan blowing hot air directly at my caps now that just makes me http://www.snesorama.us/board/images/smilies/scared.gif

Is your card this by chance? http://i.testfreaks.de/images/products/600x400/227/sapphire-ati-radeontm-hd-3850-agp.468451.jpg

That doesn't look so nice if it is. I though you meant a 2 slot fan blowing air downward to capacitors. In Accelero's case, yes it blows on capacitors too, but the air is most of the time under 45C. It's better to have airflow overs caps, than have hot air stagnant there.

I did find it interesting that when I put together a build for a friend, I ran his card, a stock 4870, at 100% fan speed while running Vantage. I put my hand at the slotted vent area out the back of the card, and could not believe how much super-heated air was blowing out of that card.

You have forgotten how hot the air coming out of GTX 280 rear was too, with stock cooler :) Made the DVI cables pretty warm, didn't like that.

OnBoard

The Uni-sink does look good, not too pricey at $34.99 on their US site, but it's going to cost me about $65 with shipping. There is an expression in North America called "Money Pit":D

The Uni-Sink is still on route from Los Angeles, should be here this week. It does come with thermal pads, but there is a thread I saw elsewhere where someone cut it into three sections and used thermal paste on it:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=230514
With my record I shouldn't attempt that:p But I may need to do some cutting to get the heatsink to fit with it. I bought a dremel tool recently which may come in handy.

Eew, not so cheap after all after postage :) I'd like one of those unisinks to play with too, if they were available here.

That 3 part thing wouldn't work with Accelero as the memory portion would be left with just one screwhole to attach with. Those around core holes are already needed for attaching Accelero it self and need to be cut off.

But, if you would dremel the Accelero mounting feet, so that only the inner holes remain, then it could work.

Something like this could be an option too. Leave one corner from the NVIO part for RAM and one corner of the center holes too. Leaves 3-point mount to RAM, NVIO works with 2 corners fine and VRM remain like it is. Then you'd only have to worry with one feet on the Accelero mount how it fits.

Or just cut it in three parts, take the middle out and use thermaltape to attach the rest as one big ramsink.

edit: oh, that small picture "lies", the UNI-Sink has nipples on the bottom too!
http://www.linustechtips.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/gtx-260-uni-sink-upgrade-44-copy1.jpg
http://www.linustechtips.com/build-logs/using-a-d-tek-uni-sink-with-an-mcw60

I was wondering how that xtremesystems link said he could use paste. Now I want one (or xmas2 sink), it looks like it would fit under Accelero the way it is. You mind measuring the height of the sink, once you get it Retro*? edit2: looks too high to fit under Accelero: http://www.linustechtips.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/gtx-260-uni-sink-upgrade-41-copy.jpg

Last edited:

Retro*

Processor 2500K
Motherboard Asus M4E
Memory Corsair Doms
Display(s) Acer X223w
Case TJ07
Software W7 64 Pro
You have forgotten how hot the air coming out of GTX 280 rear was too, with stock cooler :) Made the DVI cables pretty warm, didn't like that.

Eew, not so cheap after all after postage :) I'd like one of those unisinks to play with too, if they were available here.

That 3 part thing wouldn't work with Accelero as the memory portion would be left with just one screwhole to attach with. Those around core holes are already needed for attaching Accelero it self and need to be cut off.

But, if you would dremel the Accelero mounting feet, so that only the inner holes remain, then it could work.

Something like this could be an option too. Leave one corner from the NVIO part for RAM and one corner of the center holes too. Leaves 3-point mount to RAM, NVIO works with 2 corners fine and VRM remain like it is. Then you'd only have to worry with one feet on the Accelero mount how it fits.
http://img.techpowerup.org/090811/unisink_cut.jpg

Or just cut it in three parts, take the middle out and use thermaltape to attach the rest as one big ramsink.

edit: oh, that small picture "lies", the UNI-Sink has nipples on the bottom too!
http://www.linustechtips.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/gtx-260-uni-sink-upgrade-44-copy1.jpg
http://www.linustechtips.com/build-logs/using-a-d-tek-uni-sink-with-an-mcw60

I was wondering how that xtremesystems link said he could use paste. Now I want one (or xmas2 sink), it looks like it would fit under Accelero the way it is. You mind measuring the height of the sink, once you get it Retro*? edit2: looks too high to fit under Accelero: http://www.linustechtips.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/gtx-260-uni-sink-upgrade-41-copy.jpg
Wow! That's quite the collection of links and tips there, OnBoard:toast:
Most of those links are quite familiar to me. Jsunn made a thread at XSF back in March, before he bought his Accelero, about fitting an HR-03GTX to his card. I posted my ideas about fitting the Enzotech sinks, etc. to my card with the HR-03GTX, and gave him a list of the parts and costs:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3693354&postcount=86
Then he did a thread on his Accelero cooler installation:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3779097&postcount=14
Although he was originally going to use the Thermalright cooler, he decided to get an Accelero. He had to order one from the UK (at a high shipping cost to the US, unfortunately!). He purchased the Enzotech sinks and proceeded to make his Accelero masterpiece:p after I did my Thermalright project. I really admired his report and great photos on his project.
BababooeyHTJ also fitted the Enzotech sinks, along with an HR-03GTX, to his 280. He did a great job on his as well, but both of us would like to improve upon the vrm cooling.

I originally bought the TR cooler locally (I am in Canada). I purchased the Enzotech parts here too, from NCIX, where Linus works, he did the Tech Tips posts you linked. I am about a four hour drive from NCIX so I usually have my parts shipped from them.

You are right, there was some very hot air coming out of the 280 stock cooler, as I now recall!

Unfortunately, the Uni-Sink isn't sold here so I had to order it from the US, thus the high postage cost. I chose to get it directly from D-Tek as it was a good price there, rather than from a US shop. Hopefully I won't get dinged with a big duty bill from Customs! It will take a few days yet to get it from the US Postal Service.

I don't know if D-Tek could ship one to you in Finland, or perhaps from one of the US shops like Petra's or Performance PC's?

It is hard to tell if it could be fitted with an Accelero. I will be sure to post some measurements of it when I get it in. I know it looks too high, but perhaps with some mods it would work, there are lots of options there. I would prefer to try it whole first without cutting it up, unless I have to! Fitting the HR-03GTX on the card with the Uni-Sink may require some cutting out of the square hole in the middle section as well.

I also wonder about using paste rather than pads. My stock pads from the 280 cooler are rather trashed, I really don't care for them anyway, kind of a weird mixture of some kind of white fibres they use! It is difficult to find any good thermal pad material here. The Uni-Sink comes with pads, but I would need something for the back plate, unless paste would work there. Interestingly, you posted a photo of an ATI card cooler's pads, I just happen to have an old one with the pads on it, I may be able to re-use those. It is from an old ATI Radeon X1950 XTX card that I replaced the stock cooler with an AC cooler years ago.

I will get a photo of the TR vrm plate with the Enzotech sinks poking through it, after I get the Uni-Sink.

Last edited:

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
i just got a 65nm GTX280 (finally :toast: ) and im really wanting to do this mod.

it sucks that it seems you have to cut on the cooler, like it doesn't even fit as you buy it... i really don't want to have to do that.

is it worth it......

Retro*

Processor 2500K
Motherboard Asus M4E
Memory Corsair Doms
Display(s) Acer X223w
Case TJ07
Software W7 64 Pro
i just got a 65nm GTX280 (finally :toast: ) and im really wanting to do this mod.

it sucks that it seems you have to cut on the cooler, like it doesn't even fit as you buy it... i really don't want to have to do that.

is it worth it......
Were you looking to fit an aftermarket cooler, like the Accelero, on the 280?
If you just fit the cooler and it's included bits, no cutting is required, it does fit the 280 just fine. It's the mods, such as using part of the stock heatsink on the vrm's., that would require cutting, if you choose to go that route.
I think it is well worth it, for the gpu temperature reduction, and a quieter running card.
Looking at OnBoard's card, the Accelero looks good too, a lot better than the funky TR cooler:D

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss

http://img.techpowerup.org/090810/fins2903.jpg

Were you looking to fit an aftermarket cooler, like the Accelero, on the 280?
If you just fit the cooler and it's included bits, no cutting is required, it does fit the 280 just fine. It's the mods, such as using part of the stock heatsink on the vrm's., that would require cutting, if you choose to go that route.
I think it is well worth it, for the gpu temperature reduction, and a quieter running card.
Looking at OnBoard's card, the Accelero looks good too, a lot better than the funky TR cooler:D

cheers man i was referring to this post, makes it seem like modding the accelero is a neccessity to fit on a GTX280.

Definitely the cooler i want to put on my GTX280, and ill totally be gunning for the stock VRM sink, I've been watching this thread since it was on its first page :)

System Name not very good (wants throwing out window most of time)
Processor xp3000@ 2.17ghz pile of sh** /i7 920 DO on air for now
Motherboard msi kt6 delta oap /gigabyte x58 ud7 (rev1.0)
Cooling 1 green akasa 8cm(rear) 1 multicoloured akasa(hd) 1 12 cm (intake) 1 9cm with circuit from old psu
Memory 1.25 gb kingston hyperx @333mhz/ 3gb corsair dominator xmp 1600mhz
Video Card(s) (agp) hd3850 not bad not really suitable for mobo n processor/ gb hd5870
Storage wd 320gb + samsung 320 gig + wd 1tb 6gb/s
Display(s) compaq mv720
Case thermaltake XaserIII skull / coolermaster cm 690II
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply corsair hx 650 w which solved many problems (blew up) /850w corsair
Software xp pro sp3/ ? win 7 ultimate (32 bit)
Benchmark Scores 6543 3d mark05 ye ye not good but look at the processor /uknown as still not benched
Is your card this by chance? http://i.testfreaks.de/images/products/600x400/227/sapphire-ati-radeontm-hd-3850-agp.468451.jpg

That doesn't look so nice if it is. I though you meant a 2 slot fan blowing air downward to capacitors. In Accelero's case, yes it blows on capacitors too, but the air is most of the time under 45C. It's better to have airflow overs caps, than have hot air stagnant there.

ha ha :laugh:yes it's that one hey i'd forgotten it's only got 3 caps in the way
:eek: (i thought it had more) it bsod's on me on a lot of games
(probably something to do with the age of my machine) so it's just a net machine at the mo
last card (9700) started burning the 5volt line so i had to get the saphire agp version:cry::ohwell: