• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nvidia GT300 Yields under 3%

troyrae360

System Name My Computer!
Processor AMD 6400+ Black @ 3.5
Motherboard Gigabyte AM2+ GA-MA790X DS4
Cooling Gigabyte G-Power 2 pro
Memory 2x2 gig Adata 800
Video Card(s) HD3870x2 @ 900gpu and 999mem
Storage 2x wd raid edition 120gig + 1 samsung 320 + samsung 250
Display(s) Samsung 40inch series6 full HD 1080p
Case NZXT Lexa
Audio Device(s) ALC889A HD audio with Enables a Superior Audio Experience (on board)
Power Supply Vantec ION2+ 550w
Software Vista Home pream 64
any time you read the words "yield" and "%" together in an article on the internet, click the X, no matter the source. Yes, not even press releases from AMD, Intel, NVIDIA, TSMC or God himself. Besides, that number has no meaning for you.

If you buy some coke do you ask how many plants died because the DEA burnt them down? No, you ask how much it costs and what it does for you (and how you can get more of it)

Not only dose W1zzard get to benchmark the latest ATI cards..:)

He also gets to benchtest the latest coke stright from columbia :pimp:

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro
Cooling AiO 240mm
Memory 2x 32GB Kingston Fury Beast 3600MHz CL18
Video Card(s) Radeon RX 6900XT Reference (amd.com)
Storage O.S.: 256GB SATA | 2x 1TB SanDisk SSD SATA Data | Games: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo
Display(s) LG 34" UWQHD
Audio Device(s) X-Fi XtremeMusic + Gigaworks SB750 7.1 THX
Power Supply XFX 850W
Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless
VR HMD Lenovo Explorer
Software Windows 10 64bit
I won't believe it until I read it elsewhere, Charlie's articles are usually complete BS
the same Charlie Demerjian who used to blog at the Inq and now blogs over at www.semiaccurate.com ? thos 2 websites say it all :wtf:
Again, Charlie Demerjian. You can trust anything he says about nVidia about as far as I can fly with my arms. Also, note that the only places reporting it are simply quoting him. No one else mentions anything about this that isn't using his words.(...)

Charlie may be a sensationalist anti-journalist, but he was spot-on with the GT212 production issues, which makes me believe he actually has a source in TSMC itself.

He is biased, but not necessarily incorrect. I still haven't seen anything on any Nvidia 40nm parts. To put it more truthfully it should be said that TMSC can't make Nvidia 40nm GPU's.

This isn't true.
The Acer Aspire 5739G has a GT240M (GT216) and the Medion P7612 has a G210M (GT218). Both are already in the market for some time and both have a 40nm DX10.1 nVidia GPU.

Nonetheless, given that there's only one laptop with the 48sp GT216 and another one with the 16sp GT218, I'd say the yields for nVidia's GT21x are still not good to this date.
The 96 shader, GDDR5 GTS250/60 (GT215) is yet to be seen at all.

any time you read the words "yield" and "%" together in an article on the internet, click the X, no matter the source. Yes, not even press releases from AMD, Intel, NVIDIA, TSMC or God himself. Besides, that number has no meaning for you.

If you buy some coke do you ask how many plants died because the DEA burnt them down? No, you ask how much it costs and what it does for you (and how you can get more of it)

Factory yields determine the profit margins on the waffer and on each sold GPU, which in turn has an important role in the final price of the graphics card.
Very bad yields could even lead to the cancellation of an unnanounced GPU, like what happened with the GT212, or even the cancellation of an anounced graphics card, as we saw with the Mobility HD4860 in the Asus K series.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
What about techpowerup? :nutkick:

yes even tpu, we would never post such guesses anyway because any source can not be trusted

Processor amd phenom 2 x4 955 @3.8
Motherboard asus m4n68t v2
Cooling tx2 cooler
Memory kingston hyperx blu 1600mhz
Video Card(s) gtx460
Storage 300gb+320gb+500gb
Display(s) targa 19"
Case black
Audio Device(s) audigy 2
Power Supply 700 watt generic brand
Software win 7 64bit
That's really hard to believe. He states, that TSMC produces 104 dies out of 1 waffer. If I'm not mistaken, they used 300mm waffers. Dunno if my mad math skillz are correct but that would leave us with a total area of ~7050mm^2 per waffer and a die area of over 650mm^2. That's supposedly twice the die area of the HD5870 and highly unlikely case...

that is about rite, thats how big these are.

Benetanegia

I have not payed too much attention to the posts or the editorial (he doesn't even have a clue about what a news article is) itself, but come on, Demerjian really? We have to believe anything? :roll:

The very first day he links to a source that is not an editorial made by himself previously, I will start considering that anything he said might have a 3% of truth into it. I do read him a lot for fun, but when it comes to Nvidia he is so pathetic. It's so usual to read "as we found out some weeks ago" in blue letters ---> link to an editorial made by him in which the only link you can find is again to one of his previous editorials. You can travel as much as 20 links back this way, until you find one editorial which will not have a link to another of his editorials. Yes, you guessed it, there's no source or link at all. You finally found the one first editorial that came straight from his ass.

I still remember that thorought article in which he calculated how much every GTX2xx card costed Nvidia to make. Component after component, the final cost turned out to be in excess of $300 for the GTX260 and a lil more for the GTX280, before the distributors or retailers had even eaten their piece of the cake. According to him, then (that was when RV770 launched or around that date), Nvidia couldn't sell the cards below $400 and $550 respectively. Yeah, 1-2 weeks later stores were selling the GTX260 below manufacturig costs (calculated by him, thats' $300) and 2 months later they were losing more than $100 per card sold instead of earning the usual $40-50 per card, and they are selling for $140 now (wow to the cost reductions!!), yet Nvidia has always turned a profit and still had $200 millions to pay the bumpage thing. Magicians? :laugh:

I do have to give him some credit though :laugh:, because in the art of lying he is a master. You know, that art is based in that the perfect lie is the one that has some small percentage of truth. This way Nvidia might have some problems with GT300, so you just say 3% yields and just sit back watching the site hits go up.

There's no difference between him and the sensationalist media, where they don't mind to say that <insert famous actress> is pregnant, based on info coming from their ass in order to bump their TV share and when it comes to be false, no worries because "we will get an even bigger share when we say that we were the only ones that knew it was not truth, even if we were the ones that said she was in the first place." Who cares about truth when you can just make money. Literature sells and it neither is true isn't it? The blame is on those who believe anything he says, he didn't ever say it was true anyway...

Processor C2Q6600 @ 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Memory GEiL2 x 1 GB PC2 6400
Video Card(s) MSi 4830 (RIP)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB Perpendicular Recording
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software MCE2K5

But my tpu tabs would go too :(

System Name Cosmos F1000
Processor i9-9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370XP SLI, BIOS 15a
Cooling Corsair H100i, Panaflo's on case
Memory XPG GAMMIX D30 2x16GB DDR4 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 ti
Storage 1TB 960 Pro, 2TB Samsung 850 Pro, 4TB WD Hard Drive
Display(s) ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q 27"
Case CM Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) logitech 5.1 system (midrange quality)
Power Supply CORSAIR HXi HX1000i 1000watt
Mouse G400s Logitech
Keyboard K65 RGB Corsair Tenkeyless Cherry Red MX
Software Win10 Pro, Win7 x64 Professional

Considering that site is decked out with three ATI/AMD adverts and says silly statements like "Nvidia, don't let the door hit your ass on the way out". I would say you have another cooked up article made by a basement dwelling idiot.

*EDIT* I now see Benetanegia has weighed in on the subject. I agree with you for the most part. I hate it when blogs without sources are respected without proof.

Last edited:
System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
If this would be true, it could even tha market balance, which would be good.

System Name not very good (wants throwing out window most of time)
Processor xp3000@ 2.17ghz pile of sh** /i7 920 DO on air for now
Motherboard msi kt6 delta oap /gigabyte x58 ud7 (rev1.0)
Cooling 1 green akasa 8cm(rear) 1 multicoloured akasa(hd) 1 12 cm (intake) 1 9cm with circuit from old psu
Memory 1.25 gb kingston hyperx @333mhz/ 3gb corsair dominator xmp 1600mhz
Video Card(s) (agp) hd3850 not bad not really suitable for mobo n processor/ gb hd5870
Storage wd 320gb + samsung 320 gig + wd 1tb 6gb/s
Display(s) compaq mv720
Case thermaltake XaserIII skull / coolermaster cm 690II
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply corsair hx 650 w which solved many problems (blew up) /850w corsair
Software xp pro sp3/ ? win 7 ultimate (32 bit)
Benchmark Scores 6543 3d mark05 ye ye not good but look at the processor /uknown as still not benched
mah i wouldn't beleive any of it, the guy who wrote it loves amd, and probably posts himself an amd christmas card,
pretending it's from amd saying they love him chuckle.gif
anyway to nvidiayou rock.gif

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
They're merely making engg. samples, so obviously they're going to pick the best ones on the wafer. GT300 will be an engineering marvel on 40 nm. They're not facing foundry/yield issues during mass-production, so Charlie's point doesn't hold any ground.

Binge

Overclocking Surrealism
System Name Molly
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard Z77 ASRock
Cooling CooliT Eco
Memory 2x4GB Mushkin Redline Ridgebacks
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 680
Case Coolermaster CM690 II Advanced
Power Supply Corsair HX-1000
After reading this I wonder what kind of bad buzz this generates for anything except stock holders. Really it doesn't mean that nV's chips suck, or definitively that their product would hypothetically take more time to be released. What it does mean is that an unreliable source is giving figures that he may or may not have access. Fabricating samples... it's soooo early in the game I doubt this sort of message true or false means much to us, the end users.

Andy77

there's no source or link at all

I've read the 2nd paragraph... not to spam the ATI HD 5800 Series Leaks article so I'll post here, this line isn't really accurate.

What exactly do you expect from a source statement?... if he has insiders, or a few contacts that don't want to be mentioned (because they will probably get in trouble?) that won't be suffice to discredit him!

btarunr posted some articles in this manor as well... his sources... his privileges!

The thing is that sometimes you can relay the already printed / posted news while other times you have to rely on your contacts and be "the first"... among other firsts.

I don't say he's a saint and that's he's right... nor don't I agree of his hatred towards nvidia, but neither can I on yours towards him or AMD's ads... which BTW point out to expired newegg offers.

What Easo says is what I want so see... thus I would like it to be the way Charlie said.

And my point about GT300 being to expensive and having a low yield to actually be considered as a real product still stands. Good for them that the GT300 will be faster than anything ATI has... in my view, it's more of a PR stunt which reminds me of Phenom's debute.

If I would make the usual comparison... with cars... Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati do make some really fast limited-edition cars ... but they were also threatened by bankruptcy until someone who produces mainstream cars bought them out... else they would have faded. We don't want that for Nvidia, nor do we want them to always be the best!... the ACTUAL BEST!

Benetanegia

I've read the 2nd paragraph... not to spam the ATI HD 5800 Series Leaks article so I'll post here, this line isn't really accurate.

What exactly do you expect from a source statement?... if he has insiders, or a few contacts that don't want to be mentioned (because they will probably get in trouble?) that won't be suffice to discredit him!

btarunr posted some articles in this manor as well... his sources... his privileges!

The thing is that sometimes you can relay the already printed / posted news while other times you have to rely on your contacts and be "the first"... among other firsts.

I don't say he's a saint and that's he's right... nor don't I agree of his hatred towards nvidia, but neither can I on yours towards him or AMD's ads... which BTW point out to expired newegg offers.

What Easo says is what I want so see... thus I would like it to be the way Charlie said.

And my point about GT300 being to expensive and having a low yield to actually be considered as a real product still stands. Good for them that the GT300 will be faster than anything ATI has... in my view, it's more of a PR stunt which reminds me of Phenom's debute.

If I would make the usual comparison... with cars... Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati do make some really fast limited-edition cars ... but they were also threatened by bankruptcy until someone who produces mainstream cars bought them out... else they would have faded. We don't want that for Nvidia, nor do we want them to always be the best!... the ACTUAL BEST!

There's a substantial difference between protecting your sources and what Charlie does. If you take Fudzilla for example (another rumor spreader), they never tell their sources, but they limit themselves to giving news. They don't write editorials, giving their opinion on something he can't give proofs about and when they are found wrong, they retract.

It's as simple as that, you have no proofs for whatever reason, you shut your mouth up. But that's not the problem, anyway, the problem is that 99% of what those sources tell him about Nvidia ends up being false. There are plenty of examples of that and just one in which he was correct. There's a difference though, when he is correct, he is not the only one saying it and you have Nvidia making some sort comment on it the day after it's made public. That's what happens when you deal with true info vs false info. I don't know if he makes things up, or if he is naive enough to constantly believe a "source" that makes things up, either way, 99% of what he says comes from inside one ass.

System Name Thakk
Processor i7 6700k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Z170N ITX
Cooling H55 AIO
Memory 32GB DDR4 3100 c16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX3080 Trinity
Storage Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD / Intel 250GB SSD / Samsung Pro 512 SSD / 3TB Seagate SV32
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 100hz IPS Gsync / HTC Vive
Case QBX
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 > Creative Gigaworks T40 > AKG Q701
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Ducky Shine TKL MX Blue + Vortex PBT Doubleshots
Software Windows 10 64bit
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12108888
There's a substantial difference between protecting your sources and what Charlie does. If you take Fudzilla for example (another rumor spreader), they never tell their sources, but they limit themselves to giving news. They don't write editorials, giving their opinion on something he can't give proofs about and when they are found wrong, they retract.

It's as simple as that, you have no proofs for whatever reason, you shut your mouth up. But that's not the problem, anyway, the problem is that 99% of what those sources tell him about Nvidia ends up being false. There are plenty of examples of that and just one in which he was correct. There's a difference though, when he is correct, he is not the only one saying it and you have Nvidia making some sort comment on it the day after it's made public. That's what happens when you deal with true info vs false info. I don't know if he makes things up, or if he is naive enough to constantly believe a "source" that makes things up, either way, 99% of what he says comes from inside one ass.

Yeah.. speaking of fud,

Several people confirm
http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/15535/34/
Nvidia is still not revealing any details about its chip that we still call GT300 but one thing is getting quite certain. A few people who saw just leaked performance data on ATI's soon to launch Radeon HD 5870 have told Fudzilla that they are absolutely confident that GT300 will win over Radeon HD 5870.

Since GT300 has its GX2 brother they should not fear much against Radeon 5870 X2 whenever that comes out, as if Nvidia wins a single chip battle, they can win the dual one as well.

We can only confirm that GT300 is not a GT200 in 40nm with DirectX 11 support. It’s a brand new chip that was designed almost entirely from the ground up. Industry sources believe that this is the biggest change since G80 was launched and that you can expect such level of innovation and change.

The launch as far as we know is still slated for late November and hasn’t been confirmed.

Benetanegia

Yeah.. speaking of fud,

Several people confirm
http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/15535/34/

I don't see several people confirm anywhere there.

And again there's a signficant difference between saying some people have told fudzilla bla bla bla, and leave it there (they inform, they pst news), to starting by saying that, and then taking that as granted and if it was a fact, continue saying that because of bla, XXXX comapny is going to bla, and is a joke and bla, and patethic bla.

Fudzilla informs about what their sources think. States his sources are confident about one thing, they don't make that theirs and utilise it later as they better think will help them gain some "clicking share".

For example when any site gets the info "GT300 will be 500 mm2", including Fudzilla, they post: We've been told that GT300 will e 500mm2" and maybe say a little bit more. When Charlie gets that, he goes on to produce a melodramatic editorial about how the chip will cost twice to produce (which until now is mostly true, althought there are far more things to consider that he simply forgoes), how that will make the card twice as expensive (whaaat? how?) and only will be able to compete with the X2 in price, and hold on to your seat because he didn't finish yet: GT300 will NOT be faster than a single RV870, because... ah no there is no a reason for that, he doesn't say why exactly. He does link you to another editorial made by him in which based on the fact that Nvidia is making a new architecture using MIMD, it will fail. IN that linked editorial, the news are "Nvidia to use MIMD", and out of that he concludes it will be slower. Well from now on GT300 is slwer and he will happily say that many times in the future with his precious link at hand in case someone doubts the "well stablished fact" (sarcasm) that GT300 will be slow and primarily that Nvidia simply sucks in everything, because... well he has enough links to probe that several times...

Last edited:
System Name Cosmos F1000
Processor i9-9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370XP SLI, BIOS 15a
Cooling Corsair H100i, Panaflo's on case
Memory XPG GAMMIX D30 2x16GB DDR4 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 ti
Storage 1TB 960 Pro, 2TB Samsung 850 Pro, 4TB WD Hard Drive
Display(s) ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q 27"
Case CM Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) logitech 5.1 system (midrange quality)
Power Supply CORSAIR HXi HX1000i 1000watt
Mouse G400s Logitech
Keyboard K65 RGB Corsair Tenkeyless Cherry Red MX
Software Win10 Pro, Win7 x64 Professional
I believe it will just follow current market trends until you see a good established reason to believe otherwise.

I would predict the GT300 to be faster and more expensive. The ATi offerrings will all be most likely cheaper at their respective price points. It doesn't make one company better than the other. I enjoy offerings from both. I have preferred Nvidia more lately, but competition needs to stay strong.

theonedub

habe fidem
System Name Erakith || AsRock NUCS
Processor AMD ThreadRipper 2990WX ES (32c/64t 3.5ghz@1.02v) || Intel i7 1360P Raptor Lake-P
Motherboard MSI X399 MEG Creation || AsRock OE
Cooling EK Supremacy TR4 Full Nickel, D5 w/ EK Top, 2X EK-CoolStream XTX 360 & Photon 270 Res || OE
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB DDR4 3000|| 2x16GB Corsair DDR4
Video Card(s) Vega 64 EK FC|| Intel Iris Xe
Storage 250gb WD Black NVMe & (2) 2TB Intel 660p NVMe || 2TB Corsair MP600 Pro
Display(s) 34" Dell Ultrasharp U3415W
Case CaseLabs Merlin SM8 || Aluminum Unibody
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Mouse Corsair Harpoon Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB w/ Cherry MX Silent
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 || WIndows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores WCG & F@H Only
I will be waiting patiently for the GT300, only way I go ATI is if a new Folding Client is released :laugh: