• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Afterburner

AlexUnwinder

RivaTuner Creator
Documentation regarding this is is lousy like hell for both, MSI Afterburner and RivaTuner.
Just a stupid and rather useless FAQ and arrogant author.

Do you really expect to get help using such language? I supposed that ban warning for troublemaking and trolling @ Guru3D fixed your attitude, looks like I was mistaking.
So keep searching for solutions yourself, mr. arrogant user.

Your attitude hasn't changed since the day 1 when i talked to you. Why the hell should i changed it now? I don't care even if you've invented cold fusion, you'll not treat me like shit. I asked for help because i couldn't find any real documentation about it and you like yelled at me, that i'm a stupid moron because i ask something that was written somewhere in some hell hole.
So chill it dude. I already know you can't handle any kind of critic, regardless of what kind of critic it is. So, unless you want to help, i don't need to watch your whining.

Btw, MSI Afterburner and EVGA Precision have great interface, RivaTuner doesn't. I hope that is civilized enough for you to understand it. Maybe you could take something positive out of this comment (instead complaining that i don't appreciate your work) and enhance the RivaTuner interface that hasn't changed ever since i can tell. And that was back in the days of GeForce 2...

EDIT:
Ban on Guru3D. Mhm, sorry, but i don't want to hear about that nazi forum anymore, so don't bring that shit here. I was not banned, i left it myself for your information. Cut it right here and stop it.

Last edited:

AlexUnwinder

RivaTuner Creator
Your attitude hasn't changed since the day 1 when i talked to you. Why the hell should i changed it now? I don't care even if you've invented cold fusion, you'll not treat me like shit. I asked for help because i couldn't find any real documentation about it and you like yelled at me, that i'm a stupid moron because i ask something that was written somewhere in some hell hole.
So chill it dude. I already know you can't handle any kind of critic, regardless of what kind of critic it is. So, unless you want to help, i don't need to watch your whining.

Btw, MSI Afterburner and EVGA Precision have great interface, RivaTuner doesn't. I hope that is civilized enough for you to understand it. Maybe you could take something positive out of this comment (instead complaining that i don't appreciate your work) and enhance the RivaTuner interface that hasn't changed ever since i can tell. And that was back in the days of GeForce 2...

EDIT:
Ban on Guru3D. Mhm, sorry, but i don't want to hear about that nazi forum anymore, so don't bring that shit here. I was not banned, i left it myself for your information. Cut it right here and stop it.

1) Take your reading lessons and try to feel the difference between ban and ban warning. Evererybody have a chance to change himself before leaving the forum.
2) Take your time to graduate the school once again and try to feel the difference between the critics and insults. If typical crytics in your understanding is "piece of shit", "crap" and similar insults you constantly throw into my products (like in our nazi forum for example http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3286388&postcount=27) - then you're just not too smart person.

P.S. You've correctly guessed command line switches for runtime profile slots loading right in your first posting in this trhead. Instead of your typical RivaTuner hating postings, you could just move a finger to TRY it.

kylzer

System Name NDA BD
Processor NDA
Motherboard NDA
Cooling --------------
Memory Corsair GTX 1866Mhz 2x4GB
Video Card(s) --------------
Storage WDBlack 640GB and WDGreen 750GB
Display(s) BenQ G2200HD
Case ---------------
Audio Device(s) Built in
Power Supply Silverstone 500w
Software Win7 64
Multi forum trolling :(

Well, i don't see anything insulting in that post (i've got few similar critics for my work and i've never taken it as insult, it actually helped me to improve things). And i'm perfectly sure we could talk about that just fine if Hilbert wouldn't have come around with his "I'm your God" attitude.
That's why i hate him, not you, even if words might have fallen that way. He really pissed me off that day... So, if you think that i've insulted you, i apologize to you. It's just that i use word "crappy" a lot for stuff that's just not done too well and could be improved and enhanced in several ways.

Anyway, as far as that command is concerned, i tried it and for some reason it didn't load profile under button "1" at startup (both with space bwteen Profile and 1 and without it). But now, Afterburner is loading that very profile automatically on startup even though i don't have apply settings checked or settings supplied in cmd in any way. Loading it directly or through wrapper, random results almost on every try. But now it's loading the profile all by itself.
Have no clue why or how. But would be nice to know exact command to load the profiles through cmd.

newfellow

System Name ID
Processor Q9450 ~3.74Ghz
Motherboard ASUS-P5E
Cooling Air
Memory G.Skill CL4-8GB
Video Card(s) ATI/Geforce 5850/9800
Storage A-lot
Display(s) BenQ G2400WT
Case 900
Audio Device(s) Shitty ASUS FX;P
Power Supply OCZ GXS 850W
Software -
Benchmark Scores too many machines to spec
@RejZoR

Don't really see any documentation missing. Neither on Rivatuner nor MSI Afterburner nor on EVGA Precision to add on that line I think.

There's a good reason why some features like command line and for example rivatuner power users menu has 'unknown' functions. Although I have to admit sometimes there's so god damn many functions that even knowing what 90% do makes me uninstall the whole damn thing just for has a bit less control where MSI Afterburner/EVGA Precision comes in the picture. Atm, only damn sad thing I see happening on these tools is the voltage polling on volterra VRMs which completely mixes up with other tools like Lavalys Everest which I usually see as nice base on information.

Insulting? get over yourself.. Know that devels can be pain in the ass sometimes, but you try it with couple thousand feature requests, few hundred bug fixes & never ending updating chips and, if you consider that consider also how fast new stuff is actually supported even on bottom level by these "toys" we use.

@Rivatuner devel

'Trolling', 'fanboy' o my god people grow over. I don't really give a damn green/red or shuffling carrots for breakfest. All I am sad of is that ATI Tray Tools & NVTray has gone this way with unsigned drivers. I think makers of Rivatuner should help Ray out and drop him signed drivers just for a selection and good will.

Last edited:
Apart from FAQ, there really isn't any documentation. There is for bunch of obvious things but not for advanced stuff where docs are actually needed. CMD stuff falls under that category...

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I personally would love to say something here, but as a moderator I will use restraint and decorum.

Gentlemen. Please take your argument elsewhere (PM's, email, IM, etc.) or just just think happy thoughts and forget about it. It would be much appreciated. :toast:

System Name inferKNIGHT
Processor Intel Core i5-4590
Motherboard MSI Z97i Gaming AC
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 2 x 4GB DDR3-1866 Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (R/G)
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 970 STRIX 3.5GB (+0.5GB? o.O)
Storage 1 x 256GB Cricial M550, 1 x 2TB Samsung 7200.12
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster T260
Case Corsair Obsidian 250D
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Software Windows 8.1.1 pro x64
Wait, let me get this straight, AlexUnwinder made RivaTuner only or both RivaTuner & Afterburner?

So this is just like Rivatuner but for MSI products?
That sounds cool.

Last edited:
System Name Enslaver :)
Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming B650-Plus
Cooling CPU: Noctua NH-D14 with LED fans, Case: 2 front in - 1 rear out
Memory 2x16GB Kingston Fury Beast RGB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 4070Ti OC
Storage Samsung Evo Plus 1TB NVMe , internal WD Red 4TB for storage, WD Book 8TB
Display(s) LG CX OLED 65"
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II Mesh C Performance
Audio Device(s) HDMI audio powering Dolby Digital audio on 5.1 Z960 speaker system
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard ASUS Strix Tactic Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Nice program... since you can manually set the fan speeds for specific temperatures i dont need to bother anymore with my card stuck at 40% fan speed no matter how hot it is.. i simple set the behavior curve myself with MSI Afterburner :)

System Name inferKNIGHT
Cooling Corsair H100i
Nice program... since you can manually set the fan speeds for specific temperatures i dont need to bother anymore with my card stuck at 40% fan speed no matter how hot it is.. i simple set the behavior curve myself with MSI Afterburner :)
Yup, that's just what I've been looking for too.:)
But, does AfterBurner need to be running for that to happen? If so, then it need admin privileges, so making it autostart will make UAC pop-up right? Any way to bypass the UAC?:confused:

Yup, that's just what I've been looking for too.:)
But, does AfterBurner need to be running for that to happen? If so, then it need admin privileges, so making it autostart will make UAC pop-up right? Any way to bypass the UAC?:confused:

you can disable UAC but ive forgotten how to do so... maybe someone else can elaborate? please

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
This application is the best/easiest yet for making your own fan profile IMO, I use it on all my machines now, It really is the best of both worlds when it comes to noise vs temps, and every user can set exactly whichever balance suits them the most.

This application is the best/easiest yet for making your own fan profile IMO, I use it on all my machines now, It really is the best of both worlds when it comes to noise vs temps, and every user can set exactly whichever balance suits them the most.

wait so you dont need a MSI product to use it then?

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Case Coolermaster NR200P
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Not at all my friend, works with all modern cards and both brands, (ATi/Nv) MSI or not :)

Currently using it on a Sapphire 5870 and Gainward GTX260 1792mb, not sure how far back card compatibility goes tho.

It uses the ass and balls of Rivatuner to work if I'm not mistaken.

System Name inferKNIGHT
Cooling Corsair H100i
you can disable UAC but ive forgotten how to do so... maybe someone else can elaborate? please
I mean w/o disabling UAC.
I noticed that when launching FRAPS manually, it makes UAC pop-up, but when it autostarts with Windows, it doesn't. Any way to make Afterburner do the same?
Then again though, FRAPS works sometimes, and is simply off others...:ohwell:
It uses the ass and balls of Rivatuner to work if I'm not mistaken.
What an analogy!:p

Last edited by a moderator:
rofl i might try afterburner then, i use evga precision and its okay does the job but like to see what else is out there

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Case Coolermaster NR200P
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
I used to be an EVGA precision man, but after 1.10 of afterburner I was sold.

The original one used to give me black screen crashes...

System Name inferKNIGHT
Cooling Corsair H100i
So, any word on whether the RivaTuner and Afterburner author is one and the same?
Also, any info on the level at which Afterburner sets it's profiles? That is, does it need to be running for profiles to be active?
A bit off topic, but while we're at it, do you guys know if AMD Overdrive changes settings at the BIOS level? Or does it do it at driver level, or at application level, thus needing to run?

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Case Coolermaster NR200P
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
1. Yes I'm pretty sure the author are one and the same, I think W1z conformed this early on in post 2 or 3, actually maybe not but I'm still pretty sure :D

2. I don't think it needs to be running either, like EVGA precision it will apply your profile at startup, but not actually run the GUI of the application itself, however I have it run on startup so i get my OSD for FPS and GPU temp.

System Name inferKNIGHT
Cooling Corsair H100i
Thanks for the info wolf.
I saw what w1z said, but just wanted to confirm.
So since this is by the same maker, rivatuner is rendered obsolete. :)
BTW, your "drop bear" avatar is both amusing and troubling, lol! :D

Processor Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | P4 @ 2.1GHz
Motherboard Asus Commando ROG (Vdroop mod) | Asus P4V8X-MX
Cooling MegaShadow w/ 2x Scythe Slipstream MX-2 Paste + Kama Bay + 4x120mm case fan | stock Intel
Memory Kingston 4x1GB DDR2 @ 800MHz w/ OCZ XTC cooler | 1GB DDR @ 400MHz
Video Card(s) Palit GTX 260 1792mb 448bit @ 713/1458/1116x2 | GeForce 4 MX 440 AGP8X 64mb 64bit
Storage 640GB WD AACS 250GB Excelstor 160GB Seagate | 40GB WD
Display(s) Samsung T220, Samsung 32" 1080P | LG L1752S
Case Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 | Trendsonic mid tower
Audio Device(s) Asus Supreme FX (Creative Inspire 5.1 speaker), Samsung HT-Z220 | Onboard audio (2.1 Speaker)
Power Supply Gigabyte Odin Pro 800W | 550W generic
Software Vista Ultimate 64 SP2 | XP Pro 32 SP3
Benchmark Scores 3Dmark06 - 17,348 Vantage - P13,510 Super PI 1M - 12.765s @ 4.1GHz GenericCPUbench - 6,864 ms 38,
System Name 黒い美
Processor i7 4790k
Motherboard ASRock z97x Fatality killer
Cooling Swiftech h220-x
Memory AMD Performance DDR3 1866 4 x 4GB
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080 FTW+ ACX
Storage Samsung 840 pro 256gb, 640gb WDBlue, 1.5tb WD Black
Display(s) ASUS VG248QE, Oculus Rift, LG IPS236v
Case Antec Twelve Hundred
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply Cooler Master v1000
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB
Software Windows 10 PRo 64 bit
Benchmark Scores Fanatec CLubsport V2 Base, CLubsport V3 pedals
kool, downloading now :) i was running 1.3 after flashing my sapphriuwe to an asus. being able to adjust the progressive speed of the autofan is a nice feature.

10TaTioN

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo Q9550 @ 3.833Ghz [Stable]
Motherboard ASUS P5Q Pro
Cooling Xigmatek HDT-S1283
Memory Team Group DDR2 Xtreem Dark PC2-8500 @ 902Mhz
Video Card(s) PNY GTX 570
Storage Western Digital 1TB WD10EARS
Case AeroCool AeroEngine II
Software Windows 7 x64 RTM
Benchmark Scores http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=754350