• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

x800pro Vivo PCIe => x800xt-pe PCIe

albertr

Thanks for a tip on Radioshack's conductive pen, I've checked it out in a local store, and it looks fine. I'm still waiting for my PCI-E motherboard to arrive, once it's here, I'll do the mod and post my results.
-albertr

ju1es

5 attempts using a a magnifying glass and conductive pen. Painting a connection over the laser cut. NO LUCK :(

I have tried flashin the card with many bioses all of which are XT and the 16 pipes will just not come. Do you have to use a modded pro 16 pipe bios first?

Consilio

hmm first attempt not working

Well...

after the first attempt I have had no luck. Zim, could you tell us the bios flash order again and what you used, was it flashrom16p?

I guess I will be attempting this again, soon I will be back at radioshack buying a multimeter.

PS. buy more then a 2x magnifying glass

System Name TheReactor / HTPC
Processor AMD 7800x3d 5050Mhz / Intel 10700kf (5.1ghz All Core)
Motherboard ASrock x670e Taichi / ROG Strix z490-e gaming
Cooling HeatKiller VI CPU/GPU Block -2xBlackIce GTX 360 Radiators - Swiftech MCP655 Pump
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz DDR5 / 32GB G.Skill 3400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3090ti / Nvidia 2080ti
Storage Crucial T700 2TB Gen 5 / Samsung Evo 2Tb
Display(s) Acer Predator xb271hu - 2560x1440 @144hz
Case Corsiar 550
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Antec Quattro 1000W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair Gaming k70
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Consilio

attempt 3

I am going to go for attempt 3 tonight. That link helps a lot, thanks Zem

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
ZenZimZaliben said:
5 attempts? Well it could be that some cards are just not able to be modded. Maybe. But hey I found a great article for you all. To bad I didn't have this when I was going through all this trouble.

http://www.madshrimps.be/gotofaqlink.php?linkid=2577

Sorry Zin but that's the same mod the AGP guys beat their heads on ... congrats on doing the mod, but the percentage is still very, very low for a successful mod .... IMHO it's not worth attempting and voiding the warranty ...

Cooling HeatKiller VI CPU/GPU Block -2xBlackIce GTX 360 Radiators - Swiftech MCP655 Pump
Case Corsiar 550
Audio Device(s) on board
Mouse Logitech G502
The link was more for a graphical representation of the LaserCut, and the tools\supplies used to bridge. Yeah I am aware that our chips are r423 but the same principle applies, the lasercut is the exact same on the r423.

Just use x800XT PCIe Bios instead of AGP. The order I installed was x800pro vivo 16p pcie, then without rebooting, flashed to asus x800xt pcie bios. This is of course after the hard mod.

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
ZenZimZaliben said:
The link was more for a graphical representation of the LaserCut, and the tools\supplies used to bridge. Yeah I am aware that our chips are r423 but the same principle applies, the lasercut is the exact same on the r423.

Just use x800XT PCIe Bios instead of AGP. The order I installed was x800pro vivo 16p pcie, then without rebooting, flashed to asus x800xt pcie bios. This is of course after the hard mod.

Zen ... I understand :) ... my referrence was to the percentage of cards that were able to make the lazer cut hardmod work... I hope it goes better with the PCI-E than it did with the AGP... I just think people should know the percentage is not in their favor and attempting it will void any warranty... with slim chance it'll work ... I hope I'm proved wrong ..

albertr

Can you guys post the marking found on your GPU core? At least we can see if they look the same or not... Also if you get your hands on a digital multimeter, please test if you have contact between points...
-albertr

albertr

Zen, does your card have 2.0ns or 1.6ns memory chips? Also, does your card have VIVO?
-albertr

Last edited:
-He has VIVO (yellow MPC connector on the end and Rage Theater chip)
-He is the only one to say he has opened up the pipes with the hardmod (ATITool screeny maybe? Nothing personal, I just want to see. :D )

How did you other guys attempt it? Did you fill the lasercut with non-conductive material before painting over? Did you remove the clear coat from the contact points so the paint could make contact? ...or did you dig a channel under the lasercut like ZZZ?

As far as the softmod goes, I've done it over half a dozen times and all it requires is flashing to the 16 pipe bios and then the XT one like ZZZ did. The hardmod had about a 5% chance of success with the Pros, but I thought the ViVos might still be unlockable...

Case Corsiar 550
Audio Device(s) on board
Mouse Logitech G502
Ok, I will get a screen shot. :D Will have to be later in the day though as I am not home.

My card as I have said. Is a Sapphire x800pro VIVO, with 1.6ns memory, I believe, otherwise I wouldn't be able to hit 560MHz on the mem.

Also I didn't dig a channel under the lasercut. I scraped a little off the contacts and etched a thin path across the lasercut. I didn't make some major cut or anything and I would say DONT DO THAT. No pick-axe, shovel or jackhammer required. :D

BlackPearl

Any news on screen shots? Has anyone else succeeded with the mod on a PCI-e VIVO?

albertr

I finally got my PCI-E motherboard. Didn't have much time to play with it last night, but it does seem that my Sapphire X800Pro VIVO PCI-E card with 2.0ns memory from NewEgg is indeed hardware locked. Under locking I mean that some of the bits which comprise Device ID (DID) could not be changed by software. Most probably they are hardwired to some resistors on PCB or something.

I'm glad that ZZZ has managed to overcome it with his card by just flashing its bios, I've tried to use all my luck and some prays, but miracle ... just didn't happen -;) I'll try to figure out which bits are locked, maybe there could still be a slim chance to convert it to some other DID with 16 pipes, especially since ATI seems to introduce some new DIDs with X850 series and such...
-albertr

Last edited:

albertr

sleepeeg3 said:
As far as the softmod goes, I've done it over half a dozen times and all it requires is flashing to the 16 pipe bios and then the XT one like ZZZ did. The hardmod had about a 5% chance of success with the Pros, but I thought the ViVos might still be unlockable...

Could you please elaborate on:
1) Why you flash PCI-E card with AGP card's bios (I assume that "16 pipe bios" is the one for AGP-based card)?
2) Which flasher do you use to flash either bios'es? Is it cracked flashrom (by Wizzard) or just a regular one? For either bios?
-albertr

pl4Gue

1) I dont think he said that. He said that he has done the softmod many times. I assume he ment the AGP Softmod ...
2) To get additional pipes you allways need to use w1zzards flashrom.exe, the other wou8ld complain or produce errors ...

albertr

Maybe I was not clear in my questions, let's me explain... Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I see a theory going on here that says to take a Pro PCI-E VIVO card and flash it with "special" 16pipes Pro AGP bios, and then flash it with XT PCI-E bios without reboot in between. I'm just trying to see if this theory has any valid grounds...
-albertr

albertr

The DID is indeed is locked. I've tried all different bit combinations, but no dice. Until someone can compare PCI-E PCBs of 800PRO and 800XT, and figure out where's the lock (I guess it's some SMD resistors somewhere), I give up. Sorry.
-albertr

ventrix

albertr said:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I see a theory going on here that says to take a Pro PCI-E VIVO card and flash it with "special" 16pipes Pro AGP bios, and then flash it with XT PCI-E bios without reboot in between.
It begs the question, will a pcie x800pro work correctly when flashed with the AGP 16 pipe pro bios?

albertr

AFAIK the code in the BIOS would work, however you need to make sure to change bytes @ offset 0x74 & 0x7B, since they control DID, and DID controls ASIC initialization. However, if your DID is locked, it won't matter.
-albertr

BlackPearl

I've been watching this space, hopeful that the PCI-e VIVO mod would somehow prove successful. Unfortunately, all the news has been negative and the one person (OP) who claimed success has not been back 5 days after saying he/she would post screen shots "later in the day". I guess that ATI has finally taken steps to prevent the easy bios flash unlocking we enjoyed with the AGP models. :(

albertr

AFAIK, the lock is most probably implemented as a SMD registor(s) somewhere on the card's PCB. The problem is I don't have access to X800XT PCI-E card (of the same PCB's revision), so I can't compare PCBs. IMHO it shouldn't be too hard to figure out the differences if you do have both.
-albertr

Kniteman77

Yeah

Yeah I'm having trouble modding my X800 Pro VIVO that is Sapphire as well.

I'll keep you all posted.

Contact me on AIM at Kniteman77 if anyone wants to chat bout this, it'd be much appreciated.

chr0n1c

ZenZimZaliben said:

Where diod u get the Pro 16p vivo bios? :confused:

And albtr yes I knew I had to flash after the hardmod. :rolleyes:

ju1es

I've already asked about the 16 pipe pci-e bios but got no reply :(