• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The AMD Phenom II OC'ers Club

jjFarking

System Name Frankenstein C3
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965BE C3
Motherboard Asus M4A79T DeLuxe
Cooling Aywun A1-V10
Memory Corsair XMS3 DDR3 (2x2GB @ 1333MHz)
Video Card(s) XFX HD 5850 @ 775/1125
Storage Seagate 250gb/500gb/1tb
Display(s) BENQ E2200HD
Case Thermaltake Element S (VK60001W2Z)
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Elite Pro
Power Supply Zalman ZM600-HP
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
i've been running my memory at 1t... should i have been running it at 2t??

Only if you're having stability issues.
Running it at CR2 might give you a little more headroom for OCing though, but the performance when compared to CR1 may not be worth it (CR2 has a higher overall latency).

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero
Cooling EK FLT 240 DDC, x2 Black Ice Nemesis 360GTX, x1 EK-Quantum Surface P240, Phanteks D30-120 fans x9
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series (AMD Expo) DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MT/s CL30
Video Card(s) ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme AIRO
Storage Samsung Pro 980 2TB NVMe (OS and Games) // WD Black 10TB HDD (Storage)
Display(s) Samsung 49" Ultrawide Gaming Monitor
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply ASUS Rog Thor 1200 Certified 1200W
Software Windows 11 64 Bit Home Edition
i've been running my memory at 1t... should i have been running it at 2t??

Only if you're having stability issues.
Running it at CR2 might give you a little more headroom for OCing though, but the performance when compared to CR1 may not be worth it (CR2 has a higher overall latency).

Couldn't have been said better.

Kei

System Name ...no name yet
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800x3D
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X670E-E Wi-Fi
Cooling EK Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux-D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws DDR5 6000Mhz CL36 32GB (2x16)
Video Card(s) MSI 4090 Gaming Trio
Storage 1Tb Samsung 860 SSD, twin 2TB Samsung nvme drives
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG279Q IPS gsync 2k
Case Thermaltake P5 wall mounted and backlit with Corsair lighting node pro
Power Supply EVGA P3 1000w
Mouse Logitech G9x (awesome!)
Keyboard Logitech G105
VR HMD Pimax 5k+
Software Windows 10 64Bit
Benchmark Scores CPU-Z 698s/7465m (7800x3D result)
Individual core testing, stablity, and ACC...

This mobo or cpu will not run 3000MHz NB speed.... If I go 3000mhz in the bios it safe modes itself im thinking cus it will boot, but will only be running 2100 MAX.... 2999MHz works and boots fine as well as shows running at its set speed. But then weird shit happens lol.... Windows Defender is popping up asking to update.... the side bar closes and pops up asking to restart the gadgets lol....

Yep, whenever you're using a setting that's too far out of range/incompatible on the AM3 systems it seems that the system will automatically do that. It's the samething when trying to run 1800Mhz ram for my system, no matter what settings used it will not work it seems, and then just safe modes itself.

The other bit about the weird stuff is what happens (I've seen that LOADS of times testing undervoltages) just before the system is about to freeze/reset on you. It always happens when there is not enough voltage so the component is unstable causing things to shutdown automatically, virus programs to try to update, system clocks to be incorrect, windows to say it's not valid, etc.

Any tips on how to find the strongest core on my 955BE?

I meant to answer this right after you posted it. It's not a quick process finding the strongest/weakest cores, but it's a very important thing to find out and worth the time. What I do is load uo K10stat (or AOD if you wish, but K10stat is much faster to use), task manager, and LinX or some other serious torture program. Select the stock cpu voltage in the bios (1.35v) since it's the only voltage that we know is absolutely 100% safe. That part will save you a lot of time as well instead of chasing settings to start testing at.

Once you have those 3 things loaded up, set LinX to have only 1 thread running (settings) then go back to K10stat. Using K10 choose whichever core you want to start with first (I recommend Core 2 or 3), and up the speed from the stock 3.2Ghz/16 FID to say 3.5Ghz/19 FID and hit the little apply button next to that core. Using the task manager go to the processes tab and select whatever torture program you have up, then right click and change it's affinity to only use the core you're testing.

After that it's as simple as hitting start on the torture program, I usually do a quick 5 minute run of LinX so I don't have to wait all day and I know it gets worked like mad. Make 100% certain that you are not doing anything else on the computer, you're are only stressing a single cpu core at a time, and that EVERYTHING else in the system is 100% stock/safe settings so that you don't get an error from something other than the cpu core.

If the core passes that test, let the usage go back to 0% and then up the core speed again another notch...don't make jumps even though it takes time to do each one. I personally play it smart during this testing and cap the max core speed to 3.7Ghz/ 21 FID. By doing that you can just set the core back to it's stock speed, and move right on to testing the next core without worrying about having to reboot from an error. Once you've done all the cores at 3.7Ghz (if the system makes it that far) then go back to the first core you started on and try 3.8Ghz...it may or may not make it, but that's what we're looking for. If it has an error then reboot, and go to the next cpu core to test. Once you've finished testing all the cores at 3.8Ghz or whatever the top speed you're able to get to ON STOCK 1.35V still then you can work on whatever the weakest core is.
========================================================

ACC testing with specific cores

Now that you've found what the weakest cpu core is you can work on helping it out to achieve a higher clock. Go back to your bios and still leaving stock voltage and overall cpu speed change the ACC option to enabled PER CORE and set all the cores to 0% except for the weaker core that you're testing. That core should be set to either +2% or -2% to begin your testing. Again, do not try to test more than one core at a time as it will defeat the purpose of what we're doing.

Go back to windows and load up the 3 programs again, set the core speed to whatever failed for you last time again. This time for the torture test however you will be doing a 10 minute test not just 5 minutes so that we can be sure that stabilty has been achieved or at least ~80-90% (it better make it 7-8 minutes). If it doesn't make it then go back and change the ACC level up one more notch and see what happens. Make notes of how long it makes it during each attempt if it doesn't pass. If it fails super quick and you were using +2% then go to -2% and vice versa then move on. If it fails after a few minutes then proceed to the next notch from wherever you were with the ACC level.

If you have 2 cores that didn't make it during the stress test then check them individually with ACC, if it's 3 cores or all four then don't bother with the ACC test and just up the cpu voltage 1 click to see if they pass. Your goal is to get it so that not all of the cores fail...just one or two...and then testing again until there is only 1 that fails.
=========================================================

Once you've finished you now have an idea of how to really attack the system when going for an overclock. You'll know which core will need the most help and how to work with it. You'll know how much voltage you need to compensate for the worst core compared to the others, and you'll know how much ACC is the starting point to achieve greater stablity for that core.

In my case testing all cores gave me the following results...

Core 0 = 3.8Ghz passed no mods/retests
Core 1 = 3.8Ghz passed no mods/retests
Core 2 = 3.8Ghz failed - add +2% ACC quick failed - add -2% long failure (good) - add +2 cpu volts total pass
Core 3 = 3.8Ghz failed - add +2% ACC failed - add +4% mid failed - add -2% long fail - add +2 cpu volts total pass

The results above don't show the whole picture, but Core 2 is easily the weakest out of my available cores. It failed the fastest w/o any mods (less than 1 minute), adding the first mod (less than 30 seconds), the third mod (failed roughly 6min 1sec), fourth mod total pass. I already knew that Core 2 was my weakest by far with Core 3 being next as I did this testing a long time ago, however now that I have a board with ACC and DDR3 it was time to retest all over again. On the previous board with DDR2 I was only able to get 3.6Ghz partially stable on Core 2 and 3.7Ghz stable on Core 3, the other two were the same passing 3.8Ghz each and able to run 3.9Ghz for a very short while.

If I didn't have the information then I would end up trying to run 3.8Ghz at something like say 1.50v because it would just fail at anything less. With that information I know that I need to start off with -2% ACC and then test 3.8Ghz to see if it passes. If it fails then add +2 clicks to cpu volts and see if it passes then. That core just needs a few clicks more volts to make it happen than the others.

I'm typing to you right now from 3.8Ghz @ 1.425v on all four cores right now. The best I loaded 3.8Ghz before on any board was 1.39v but it wasn't stable. Added -2% ACC to both cores 2 & 3, clicked the cpu voltage up 2 clicks and I've been running 1.425v for more than 1 hour now without so much as a hiccup. Hopefully it'll pass full stablity testing, but either way it's working great...1.40v would make it into Windows for only 30 seconds or so.

Hope this helps, have fun testing...the initial core tests will take you roughly 1 hours time with 5 minute tests starting at 3.5Ghz. :toast:
========================================================================

Northbridge approximate voltage versus clock guide...

During testing with my PII 955 on more than one board I've found the following to be true for both boards to within 1 click of the voltage. This is an APPROXIMATE guide you can use when trying for stablity with Northbridge clocks, so don't think it's law as your system may vary though I doubt by very much. Adjust the voltage with the "cpu/nb" setting in the bios to adjust the northbridge/memory controller voltage level. The other Northbridge voltages are for the chipset.

2.0Ghz @ 1.06v
2.2Ghz @ 1.07v
2.4Ghz @ 1.10v
2.6Ghz @ 1.16v
2.8Ghz @ 1.26v
3.0Ghz @ 1.35v+

Those are the voltages that I've found to get those specific Northbridge/memory controller speeds 100% stable when using the 3.2Ghz speed of the PII 955. The same has proven true so far when testing all the way up to 3.9Ghz, and has worked for 4.0-4.1Ghz in my testing though cooling problems arise at those speeds from large cpu volts on air cooling. The default voltage for the Northbridge/memory controller is 1.10v on the Phenom II processors with the 2.0Ghz default speed. Much like cpu voltage it can be lowered and stll prove stable, you can also raise it and prove stable though please remember that heat increases significantly once the voltage is raised as it's housed in the cpu casing as well.

Also note that if you're having problems getting a specific cpu clock stable, it may be because you're running the Northbridge at too slow a speed and choking it. Instead of adding cpu voltage sometimes all you need is to simply raise the Northbridge clock speed and it will cure your problem. If you're getting BSOD as certain clocks...it's probably time to take a look at your Northbridge speed. 2.0Ghz is great for a 3.2Ghz setting...but 4Ghz will need more like 2.2-2.5Ghz for best stablity.

I can't find whom said it right now, but I read recently that your CPU to Northbridge speed should be roughly the following. (CPU * 2)/3.15 = Northbridge speed

There is of course a margin of freedom in that formula, but in all my time testing with Phenoms (since the first Phenoms came out) I can say that formula goes along with what I've found. I wish I could find his/her name so I could give them credit, but although I find the same things as they did PLEASE NOTE that is NOT my formula but I do believe it has some truth to it.

The Northbridge voltages/speeds mentioned above were arrived at with the rest of the system at the following voltages...

CPU VDDA 2.50v (stock)
HT Voltage 1.20v (stock)
NB Voltage 1.30v (stock)
NB 1.8 Voltage 1.80v (stock)
SB Voltage 1.20v (stock)
Memory Voltage 1.50v (stock)

Kei

(if you don't have ACC you can do the samething, I've been doing this a long time, the ACC part is just an extra step/bonus)

Attachments

• After ACC testing.jpg
    After ACC testing.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 390
Last edited:
Cooling EK FLT 240 DDC, x2 Black Ice Nemesis 360GTX, x1 EK-Quantum Surface P240, Phanteks D30-120 fans x9
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series (AMD Expo) DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MT/s CL30
Case Phanteks NV7
This is really good stuff Kei but I got an observation of my own.

When you run prime 95 and a core fails you can look at task manager or AOD "Monitor" section and see which core failed. Wouldn't this eliminate have to test one core individually? Just a thought/observation of my own. What do you think Kei?

Reactions: Kei

Kei

Keyboard Logitech G105
VR HMD Pimax 5k+
That is useful information, but it may still throw off your results when trying to find the weakest core. The reason that you're testing individual cores is because it takes less voltage, produces less heat, and is not stressful on anything but that single core. That way when you get the error you know 100% that it was the core and not anything else. :)

I forgot to mention that during these tests you should try to run your cpu fan at it's lowest setting so that the cores will be able to reach their limits faster. That of course is if you have the ability to do so, H20 peole of course won't have the same luxury since they run cooler anyway.

Kei

Case Phanteks NV7
Thank you Kei, now I'm just simply curious. I'm going to try my method and see how efficiently it can work. I left the rig priming all night long at 3725MHz @ 1.392v (default). The rig has also spent the whole day crunching today. I will work my way up from there and keep you guys posted. :toast:

Kei

Keyboard Logitech G105
VR HMD Pimax 5k+
AMD...how we love thee

I've been playing around today at 4Ghz to see how many different ways I can run it and how stable it is.

So far I've tried...

200*20 = ran a slew of wPrime tests without problems
250*16 = ran a slew of wPrime tests without problems (posting from it right now)
300*13.5 = didn't run any wPrime tests without problems lol (then again that's 4.05Ghz)

All of them are at 1.537v set in the bios with -2% ACC on cores 2 & 3. None have passed the complete wPrime 1024 test, but I didn't really expect them too either lol. Once the cpu temp hits 46C I know that I've got only a few seconds left before the system has an error. Typing to you now the 'idle' temp is a sweet 29C with all the fans running full blast. It doesn't take long to overwhelm the cooler though with so much voltage and that high a cpu speed though.

Just because I could, I also loaded up 4.1Ghz @ 1.53v to get a screenshot with the full spec I was running my max speed wPrime tests.

These Phenom II's are simply ridiculous, remember back when we were going mad to see 3Ghz speeds on air cooling....now I can run 4Ghz almost any way I want to! :eek: We should all tip our hats to AMD for hookin us up with some seriously ridiculous *** processors! :rockout:

Kei

EDIT: Just realized I messed up the 4.1Ghz screenshot and put two cpu shots of the same tab instead of the usual one cpu and one memory lol.

Attachments

• 250HTT 1.53v.jpg
    250HTT 1.53v.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 357
  • 300HTT 1.53v.jpg
    300HTT 1.53v.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 316
  • 4.1Ghz 1.53v.jpg
    4.1Ghz 1.53v.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
Case Phanteks NV7
Yesterday I was running 4GHz @ I believe 1.470v or something like that. It was stable for almost the whole night. I was getting ahead of myself though. I backed down to 3.7GHz default voltage and I'll tweak from there. I'll do some more when I get home. You notice much performance difference when running lower multi and higher HT Ref. Clock as opposed to lower HT Ref. Clock and higher multi?

Kei

Keyboard Logitech G105
VR HMD Pimax 5k+
Nope, I tested that as well and there really isn't anything worthwhile going using high vs low. The only difference of course would be the ability to clock your ram (you can clock higher using the 10:3/1333Mhz divider instead of the 4:1/1600Mhz divider) and set tighter timings.

Other than that bonus you get nothing really in system speed.

Now...I KNOW I'm probably going down a rabbit hole I should just leave alone instead of wasting an hour or so but.....the 250*16 setting came OH so close to passing the wPrime 1024 test. Any other test hit the 46C mark at around 30-70 seconds in (barely 10-20% finished), but I just ran the test with those settings and I almost went mad staring at the screen.

The temp hit 46C and....well stayed there for almost-ever! It touched 47C for a few seconds then went back down, but the test just kept on pluggin away...it actually made it to ABOVE 80%!!!!! I couldn't believe what I was seeing, so now I'm on a very possibly futile quest to see if I can manage to get it to pass that test stable...air cooling. :D

Kei

Case Phanteks NV7
So did you have better stability with a higher bus?

Kei

Keyboard Logitech G105
VR HMD Pimax 5k+
Bah, I'm not gonna pull my hair out trying to get it lol. It didn't happen yet, maybe I'll return to it another day though it's unlikely.....unless I have better cooling of course.

I'm 95% certain that if I still had the H50 the test would've passed giving far cooler temps. I'm thinking about going to the store I bought it from and exchanging this board for another one (same board) since I have some questions about mine now.

Since I got the board the voltage readouts are just not correct looking at Everest, CPU-Z (current version), AOD, etc. As a matter of fact AOD is all kinds of screwed up looking. It reports only two voltages, and no option for ACC at all even though I've uninstalled twice and used the latest version.

CPU-Z ver1.50 shows only the bios setting for the cpu voltage. Hardware Monitor appears to show the correct voltages...I think, among a few other little things I've noticed. I attatched a screenshot of what things look like as it stands.

This stuff has never set right with me since I've had the board. In some things it's better than the last, but in others it's far worse. I could hit 3.8Ghz stable @ 1.42v but on this board I can't do that with even ACC enabled. On this board I can do 4.1Ghz, but on the old board I couldn't do that period no matter what settings I tried.

There are other weird things that I've noticed, but those are the biggest...what do you guys think? Anybody with a 955 got AOD and can see the option for ACC? I've put off thinking about swapping boards for about as long as I dare...don't want to piss off the store coming back 1 month later to get an exchange lol.

Help?

Kei

Kei

Keyboard Logitech G105
VR HMD Pimax 5k+
So did you have better stability with a higher bus?

Nope, best stablity was with 250*16 from what I remember. I'll test 200*16 again later on after I nourish myself finally lol.

Kei

Case Phanteks NV7
Yeah that board is not reporting voltages incorrectly. You can have one program differ from another but not all of them. Also, missing ACC and all those voltages. Something doesn't seem right.

Kei

Keyboard Logitech G105
VR HMD Pimax 5k+
Yea, I've had boards where a program or two will report 'incorrectly' or just slightly off....but I've NEVER had something act this completely mad.

I've tried every bios from 1703 up to the latest 2303 version (that's 6 different bios verions), and none of them fixed the issues. I've tried changing the cpu overvoltage jumper to both positions and it didn't help, I've even done 2 Windows installs just to make sure that wasn't the issue...nothing again.

Something is crazy for sure so I'm trying to get it worked out without having downtime on my rig. I didn't even send in for the rebate yet just so that I didn't have any issues returning/exhanging the board if it came to that.

Kei

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
whats funny, some have reported performance problems with not due to hardware, but due to the way windows installs, after installing windows ensure the OS detects 4 cores, and it doesnt matter if its XP or 7, ensure it has 4 CPUs so to speak.

Case Phanteks NV7
I would try to exchange it bro. Just to have the piece of mind.

Kei

Keyboard Logitech G105
VR HMD Pimax 5k+
OH YEA!!!! I forgot the BIGGEST OFFENDER of the whole bunch.....we all know that the max HT 3.0 speed is 5200MT/s which translates to an HT Link max speed of 2600Mhz (x2 of course).

Well in my bios the option only goes up as far as 2200Mhz for the multiplier no matter what bios version I use. I can't see any speed above that mark unless I raise the HTT dramatically to achieve it. Obviously we don't need to ever set it to 2600Mhz, but the fact that I don't even have the option shows that something is obviously wrong since it's a default thing we get on all 790 boards and Phenom II processors. It's even listed on my motherboard box in big shiny letters to support 5200MT/s like every other board I've bought.

I've been wondering if others with this board had the same limitation, but I forgot to ask anyone here. I also just found a review online for the board dated April 20, 2009 and it shows they have the option all the way up to 2600Mhz like you're supposed to.

Kei

Last edited:
Case Phanteks NV7
If you don't exchange it by Friday I'll go and do it for you!

Kei

Keyboard Logitech G105
VR HMD Pimax 5k+
Okay so going back to the 'original' bios for the retail board gives me the proper HT Link multipliers (up to 2600Mhz), but fixed nothing else. I went all the way back to the ver.1001 bios which is the first one supporting the PII 955 and the bios spoken of in the review I saw with all the mulipliers. Bios that came installed on the board is ver 2105.

Voltages, ACC, and AOD are all still messed up though. I cleared the CMOS just in case it was just having an issue. Nuffin so far...

Kei <--- should be halfway to the store right now, but can't stop trying to find the problem lol

Case Phanteks NV7
Okay so going back to the 'original' bios for the retail board gives me the proper HT Link multipliers (up to 2600Mhz), but fixed nothing else. I went all the way back to the ver.1001 bios which is the first one supporting the PII 955 and the bios spoken of in the review I saw with all the mulipliers. Bios that came installed on the board is ver 2105.

Voltages, ACC, and AOD are all still messed up though. I cleared the CMOS just in case it was just having an issue. Nuffin so far...

Kei <--- should be halfway to the store right now, but can't stop trying to find the problem lol
I know how that is, you want to do anything possible to fix it before exchanging or what not. But dude, just go do it man.

Yesterday I was running 4GHz @ I believe 1.470v or something like that. It was stable for almost the whole night. I was getting ahead of myself though. I backed down to 3.7GHz default voltage and I'll tweak from there. I'll do some more when I get home. You notice much performance difference when running lower multi and higher HT Ref. Clock as opposed to lower HT Ref. Clock and higher multi?

Ckn, do you not have an i7 rig any more? Just curious. :)

Case Phanteks NV7

Kei

Keyboard Logitech G105
VR HMD Pimax 5k+
I know how that is, you want to do anything possible to fix it before exchanging or what not. But dude, just go do it man.

Yea, you're right I just couldn't help myself...I've since given up (translation: I couldn't fix it) and I'm going to head up there either tonight or tomorrow morning to do the exchange. :slap:

Kei

Case Phanteks NV7
Yea, you're right I just couldn't help myself...I've since given up (translation: I couldn't fix it) and I'm going to head up there either tonight or tomorrow morning to do the exchange. :slap:

Kei

Good luck man, hope they don't give you crap about it :toast: Keep us posted.

I just got home so I'm going to do some further testing, wish me luck :)

System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
Memory 40gb of DDR 4 2700
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon 500
Storage Fusion Drive 1 TB
Display(s) 27 Inch IMac late 2017
fellas need some help here whats the best overclocking AM3 board as a rule of thumb