• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Extreme Overclocking Research Project

Processor Intel Core i7-7700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z270E Gaming
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer i11
Memory 4x 8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 2133MHz
Video Card(s) 2x NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti FEs
Storage 512GB SSD, 2x2TB HDD
Display(s) AOC U2879VF, AOC G2260VWQ6
Case Corsair 750D Airflow Edition
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850G
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
Well, after geting bored, I thought this up. Basically, the aim of this project is to research which components are the best for overclocking, the most effective way, and how to aid stability etc. At the minute, I'm doing the first phase of research, by using a Radeon XPRESS 1150 (according to BIOS, though software detects it as XPRESS 200) and an Athlon X2 3800+. I can currently go up to 2.2GHz without any major heat increase, but I can't go any higher with dangerous temperatures.

Because of this, I am asking you guys to aid me, by donating cash or old hardware. ALL results will be uploaded here, and you guys can then analyse or ask questions about them. Also, If anyone would like to help with the research, PM me, and I'll set you something to do. Thankyou.

CURRENT PROJECTS:

Socket AM2 Athlon X2 3800+:
Stock Cooling, max achieved 2.2GHz.
Multiplier: 10x
Temps: System 22C, CPU 35C.
Voltage 1.360.
Max available FSB: 500Mhz.
Stability Testing: Coming soon, I need to make sure that temps are safe after 24hrs operation.

When I got the money dude ;).

Anyway, I've decided that donators of cash/hardware will get full reports sent to them, but non-donators only get part of the reports. That way, it's an incentive for people to donate, and I won't have to fear blowing this rig up. My dad will kill me if that happens again.

First result:

Motherboard: ECS RS485M-M
CPU: Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Original frequency: 2000MHz (200MHz FSB)
Max overclock: 2500MHz (250MHz FSB) This is because of the motherboard being crap.
Voltage: 1.400V
Temperature: 43C idle, 47C load.

Really need donations now, or we won't have the next set of results for about 38 weeks.

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
First result:

Motherboard: ECS RS485M-M
CPU: Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Original frequency: 2000MHz (200MHz FSB)
Max overclock: 2500MHz (250MHz FSB) This is because of the motherboard being crap.
Voltage: 1.400V
Temperature: 43C idle, 47C load.

Really need donations now, or we won't have the next set of results for about 38 weeks.

as great as your intentions are, I don't think this is gonna work well...

Unless you know how to handle a dual stage cascade, or a triple autocascade... Then it would be useful. :laugh:

To truely do "research" you need control parameters, and in this case you would have to try as many identical (and I mean very close in date) CPU's, strictly controlling operating temperature, until failure.

and most of this is known already :p (Actually, AMD publishes this, and basic overclocking still has to follow the phycis barrier of heat->DEATH)

Sub-zero research is always interesting though.

HVAC certified? :p

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
What overclocking experience have you had?? Throwing money at something isn't going to help if you're not sure what you're doing. And you expect people to donate money?

Let me put it this way. When you get that cpu past 3.2ghz and Orthos stable for an hour, i might consider donating a small amount.

Anyway, I've decided that donators of cash/hardware will get full reports sent to them, but non-donators only get part of the reports. That way, it's an incentive for people to donate, and I won't have to fear blowing this rig up. My dad will kill me if that happens again.

... you're starting this "extreme" overclocking experiment on a family pc... :wtf:

Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Storage 1TB SSD
Case Razer Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
"My dad will kill me"

I'm assuming you're under 18.

This project as a whole, would be a liability from the start.

Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Storage 1TB SSD
Case Razer Core
Keyboard Logitech G910

pt

not a suicide-bomber
Processor AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-60 (Trinidad)
Motherboard ASUS F3Ka (ATI RS690M)
Cooling stock
Memory Nanya 2x1GB ddr2 667@5-5-5-15-2T
Video Card(s) ATI Mobility Radeon HD2600 512MB DDR2@ 580mhz/486mhz
Storage 160GB on laptop+250GB external
Display(s) ASUS 15.4
Case Asus Laptop F3Ka chassis
Audio Device(s) on-board
Power Supply 1:30minutes battery
Software "genui xp", 'cause i hated vista
System Name GaMEr / HTPC
Processor FX8320 4.5ghz so far NB- 2815mhz / X2 255 @ 3.2ghz (Temp till BD)
Motherboard 990FX-UD5 / GA-MA785GPMT-US2H
Cooling XSPC - 240rad 480rad 5 x 120mm out, 6 x 80mm in / H220-edge 1/2" & 2 x 120mm Magma
Memory 4gb PI 6,8,6,18 1T 1706mhz / 4gb Crucial D9's 1400 @ 6,6,6,18,1T
Video Card(s) 3gb HD7950 / Onboard
Storage 2 x 120gb Sandisk ultra plus 2tb WD / 60gb vertex 2 + 2 x 2tb WD Greens
Display(s) 3x24in Dell Ultra (portrait) / NEC 32" FullHD LCD
Case LL PC71A Full tower / Antec fusion black with Imon remote Modded for WC
Audio Device(s) OB / Auzentech cinema 7.1
Power Supply TT 700w TR2 / TT 600w Litepower modded with Noctua S12 fan.
Software 7 Ult / 7 premium x64
Man.. I just wanna see this kid toast the family PC.. heeheee.

Uuummm... Sorry Ben that wasn't very nice at all. :)

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64

Alright first you try to sell Custom Made PC's with equipment we can buy at the same prices at the same places, if not find better deals, just so you can build it...but you had no real plan..and that's cool that you're dreaming big..but in the same thread you say that you will OC cpu's to a certain extent, but will charge for a "full" system OC of "every component", but burn up your "store bought PC"... I'm sorry Ben, but that is the worst of the worst business practice ever...that shows no sense in advertising. If you have nothing good to say about your PC or it's situation other than MAX OC and such..don't ADVERTISE IT! Just some advice...I ran a small business online before..but I built credibility and proof of it, then started that business.

But onto the gusto of this post, now you're asking for money and hardware donations for your OC project in a different area of the same forum. If you were the owner of any type of repuatble business, well..you wouldn't have a business for long. It's cool if people want to give you money/old hardware...heck if I still had my old Pentium2 stuff you could have it, but that hit the trash years ago. I'm sorry if I seem somewhat harsh at you Ben, and it may just be the way you come across to me, but the way you are going about everything you do is horrible. If you want help OC-ing what you have or suggestions for buying what type of certain component or whatnot, this is the place. To try to sell PC's we WILL build for as cheap if not cheaper, and not ask for donations for "TEST" OC Rig or in a better term: Already been done many times, search the forum or even Google to find many results on the same components!

And saying your dad will kill you if you "Kill" your PC "Again"...that is no good dude. That just adds to the feeling of aggrivation causing me to get all this out. It's obvious you're very inexperienced in any sense of business/advertisement/easy income...You need to build some sort of credibility and trust with people before you can "take" their money/components. From what I've seen of you thus far...I'd consider your "offerings" to be more a SCAM than a service. I'll offer my OC info for free and every step it took to get there...on any PC I've ever owned..cause THAT IS WHAT THIS FORUM IS ABOUT! That is why I came to the Tech...great people, a lot of help, and a great plethora of information. We are not about coming in out of nowhere, with nothing to be known of, trying to offer services with a charge, whilst blowing up our own admittedly store bought PC, and being afraid of our father's if we do blow up our PC's. Can you at least try to OC a rig without trying to have us pay you for the results we help you attain? Hell, we might not even CHARGE YOU for ASSISTANCE! I understand there are plenty of younger people out there...but I got a job and bought my own shit! :rockout:

lol. Noone will donate, for a thing that will do more harm than good.

Geez, get a job Ben Clarke, life isnt that nice. If you knew what quad phase cascade was, you would know that its EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE. Also, why should we donate? You might as well sell the parts at more expensive prices. I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but do you see people begging others for parts? No.

Thus, forget about it if you don't have the money and if you are too lazy to buy your own parts or make money for them.

98% of us here are enthusiasts, and many who arent leave the forum in like less than a week, thus the PC building buisiness is gone, TPU is not a place for free advertising of your buisinesses, in which seem like a scam on the scaling of the prices. Dont look like a dell when you do that kind of stuff as we arent very lenient people. We are those cheapskates who thrive off building everything ourselves.

Please learn that half of us are barely able to pay our monthly fees even though we have godly shit compared to the majority of people in the world.

Alright first you try to sell Custom Made PC's with equipment we can buy at the same prices at the same places, if not find better deals, just so you can build it...but you had no real plan..and that's cool that you're dreaming big..but in the same thread you say that you will OC cpu's to a certain extent, but will charge for a "full" system OC of "every component", but burn up your "store bought PC"... I'm sorry Ben, but that is the worst of the worst business practice ever...that shows no sense in advertising. If you have nothing good to say about your PC or it's situation other than MAX OC and such..don't ADVERTISE IT! Just some advice...I ran a small business online before..but I built credibility and proof of it, then started that business.

But onto the gusto of this post, now you're asking for money and hardware donations for your OC project in a different area of the same forum. If you were the owner of any type of repuatble business, well..you wouldn't have a business for long. It's cool if people want to give you money/old hardware...heck if I still had my old Pentium2 stuff you could have it, but that hit the trash years ago. I'm sorry if I seem somewhat harsh at you Ben, and it may just be the way you come across to me, but the way you are going about everything you do is horrible. If you want help OC-ing what you have or suggestions for buying what type of certain component or whatnot, this is the place. To try to sell PC's we WILL build for as cheap if not cheaper, and not ask for donations for "TEST" OC Rig or in a better term: Already been done many times, search the forum or even Google to find many results on the same components!

Agreed. Ben, think of it, you always use the most ridiculous advertising methods that could land you in court if you ran a buisiness. So basically, when i try to run the PC building service, i just go "Hey guys ill just build u a PC that will be considerably cheaper, have the premiums that sometimes dont come with standard dells, etc"

I also try to educate the buyer (i only "sell" PCs to my school students >_>), saying that "Wheras for the same performance and low-tier OEM parts, for a dell it would cost $3000, for this however it would cost almost half the price, wait actually the 8800GTS isnt even availiable for manufacturers like dell!"

So basically some tips:

-Know what you are doing, use the professional tools.
-Do not force the buyer into buying something that needs constant matinence whether they like it or not
-Have a LOW cost overhead, thats set, not a percentage cost overhead. I charge a low $30 overhead.
-DO NOT resort to using parts from the most expensive source.
-DO NOT offer extras if you want to charge more, honestly how hard is it to overclock a CPU like 16mhz?
-Dont use messages that give an impression that you are desperate to obtain money like "URGENT"
-Be flexible, let the poor have the $10 discount
-Don't diss the buyer!

Last edited:

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
So basically some tips:

-Know what you are doing, use the professional tools.
-Do not force the buyer into buying something that needs constant matinence whether they like it or not
-Have a LOW cost overhead, thats set, not a percentage cost overhead. I charge a low $30 overhead.
-DO NOT resort to using parts from the most expensive source.
-DO NOT offer extras if you want to charge more, honestly how hard is it to overclock a CPU like 16mhz?
-Dont use messages that give an impression that you are desperate to obtain money like "URGENT"
-Be flexible, let the poor have the $10 discount
-Don't diss the buyer!

Exactly right. Do some business research, because you are attempting to sell in an industry where many have better, cheaper, and more viable sources. You need a background and a successful one at that. Especially if you're trying to sell PC's to enthusiasts in the PC world. Do yourself a favor and stop what you are doing until you have the financial backing, experience in building PC's component-by-component, have your own personal PC be your protege so to say, so you can prove what you can do. Burning up a store bought PC shows lack of experience/sense. Come here for help, assistance, recommendations on your PC, OC, etc...but don't try to sell us your horrible sales pitch (well did you even have one?). Sorry dude, but you need to go back to the drawing board, and take note to all of this and all of the responses you got for a FAILED attempt at your business. Look at what others do, how they built reputation, what they do to ensure trust with the buyer to recieve money for services/product. If you do this and pay attention, learn a lot in the PC world, you could turn yourself around and be successful. If you don't, then please stop wasting your time...and trust me, jumping to a different forum will net you the same results if not worse.