• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How-to: Pencil mod your HD 3870!

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
Sure you do. Add /numproc=1 to the end of your boot.ini. Bam! Instant single core. lol.

if its as simple as that wile i can sure do it.. and will.. anybody care to guess the results..

trog

ps.. this gets f-cking depressing in one way and good in another.. i have just set my system to use one core.. my argument is entirely backed up.. both the cpu and gpu crysis benches at the resolution i play crisis at score the same.. one core or two..

so ramdom and all u other fooled completely by the multi-bollocks con.. what do u recon..

if the software dont use the multi-whatever there is no point in having it.. most software still dosnt..

i will have a go at supreme commander later just to see just what having one fast core does to that.. i strongly suspect it will play perfectly okay fully maxed out at 1680 x 1050 which is what i have been playing it at..

supreme commander.. about the only game that does make effective use of more than one core.. the pic at 14 fps is about as bad as it gets.. fully maxed out at 16080 x 1050 with just the one core at 3.6 gig.. mostly it runs around 26 fps.. perfectly okay for such a game..

Last edited:
System Name Slave
Processor Core i7 920 @4.2 Lapped
Motherboard Biostar Tpower x58
Cooling Ek Supreme + Backplate, Thermochill 120.3, mcp655
Memory 6Gb Gskill Black Pi ddr3 1600 8-7-7-19 1t
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290 (flashed to 290x) + DTek Fuzion block @1100
Storage Samsung 840 evo, WD Black
Display(s) Asus PB278Q 1440p
Case p180b
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Extreme P.O.S.
Power Supply Enermax Revolution 85+ 950watt
Benchmark Scores i7 920 c0 @ 4.6ghz
I decided to try the pencil mod im very surprised at the results, 985 Mhz at 1.51volt, 320 omh using the scratch resistor method and a Hb pencil (thanks trog).:respect:
Would go much higher since the temps didn't increased at all.
I need to try other pencils as i can't get a lower resistance even after an hour of trying... :shadedshu

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
if its as simple as that wile i can sure do it.. and will.. anybody care to guess the results..

trog

ps.. this gets f-cking depressing in one way and good in another.. i have just set my system to use one core.. my argument is entirely backed up.. both the cpu and gpu crysis benches at the resolution i play crisis at score the same.. one core or two..

so ramdom and all u other fooled completely by the multi-bollocks con.. what do u recon..

if the software dont use the multi-whatever there is no point in having it.. most software still dosnt..

i will have a go at supreme commander later just to see just what having one fast core does to that.. i strongly suspect it will play perfectly okay fully maxed out at 1680 x 1050 which is what i have been playing it at..

supreme commander.. about the only game that does make effective use of more than one core.. the pic at 14 fps is about as bad as it gets.. fully maxed out at 16080 x 1050 with just the one core at 3.6 gig.. mostly it runs around 26 fps.. perfectly okay for such a game..

http://www.cavecom.com/pics/sp.jpg
But does Sup Com still perform better with more than one core? That's all that matters.

As far as games that don't benefit, you can blame that on lazy developers.

And again, games aren't the only programs, and multi threading isn't the only reason to have multi-core cpus. There are plenty of useful multi-threaded apps that benefit from multi cores. And the more cores you have, the more multi-tasking you can do. Can you encode a video and play a game at the same time on a single core system? Not likely.

D

Deleted member 24505

I dont know if you guys knew,but you can get this from rivatuner-

I'm gonna put my mark2 vmod on tommorow.

I did'nt really trust the modded bios,so i flashed my stock back.i will use the vmod i think,not a modded bios.It seems the bios's need jiggering to remove the 862mhz limit is all.

System Name money pit..
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
i did say most wile... most.. most most.. i used the one game that does deliberately.. if i were to run my single core at say 5 gig.. another core would be of no help.. the game would become gpu limited.. so yes more than one core helps S/P but only if the single core isnt fast enough..

so we have one that does (possibly) 999 that dont.. come on dude be real..

so wile prove your point.. i have.. or at elast i am trying to.. else stop simply speculating.. prove what u say dude.. else stop making the claims..

i get rather bored with the "every body knows" type rubbish i keep hearing..

i aint argueing that certain specific apps dont benifit from muti simple that most dont..

i dont even go for the multi tasking argument ether.. if that were true running two cores should produce a faster super pi.. if simply by taking the operating system load of the other core.. it dosnt even do that.. super pi scores exactly the same one core doing the lot or the other supposedly multitasking and helping it..

i am running the one core still and cant see the slightest difference in how my machine us functioning.. two cores should at least take some of the load of things.. they dont seem to.. 2003 still scores 40,000.. 2005 still scores 23000.. 2006 sores one cpu score less just as expected..

i am looking hard for this multi tasking benifit thing but so far aint found it..

but u do have the real answer dude.. As far as games that don't benefit, you can blame that on lazy developers.

personally i put the blame equally on the majority of "fools" who think games do already benefit.. why should they bother when the majority dont even notice they havnt bothered at all..

the S/P guys had cause to bother.. the game pretty much brought every system it was placed on to a standstill when it first came out..

necessity drives.. but if folks think we are getting the benifits from multi when in reality we aint the necessity aint there.. so its easier to let em keep thinking what they do.. any "fool" knows two is better than one and four is better than two dont they.. he he he

trog

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
i did say most wile... most.. most most.. i used the one game that does deliberately.. if i were to run my single core at say 5 gig.. another core would be of no help.. the game would become gpu limited.. so yes more than one core helps S/P but only if the single core isnt fast enough..

so we have one that does (possibly) 999 that dont.. come on dude be real..

so wile prove your point.. i have.. or at elast i am trying to.. else stop simply speculating.. prove what u say dude.. else stop making the claims..

i get rather bored with the "every body knows" type rubbish i keep hearing..

i aint argueing that certain specific apps dont benifit from muti simple that most dont..

i dont even go for the multi tasking argument ether.. if that were true running two cores should produce a faster super pi.. if simply by taking the operating system load of the other core.. it dosnt even do that.. super pi scores exactly the same one core doing the lot or the other supposedly multitasking and helping it..

i am running the one core still and cant see the slightest difference in how my machine us functioning.. two cores should at least take some of the load of things.. they dont seem to.. 2003 still scores 40,000.. 2005 still scores 23000.. 2006 sores one cpu score less just as expected..

i am looking hard for this multi tasking benifit thing but so far aint found it..

but u do have the real answer dude.. As far as games that don't benefit, you can blame that on lazy developers.

personally i put the blame equally on the majority of "fools" who think games do already benefit.. why should they bother when the majority dont even notice they havnt bothered at all..

the S/P guys had cause to bother.. the game pretty much brought every system it was placed on to a standstill when it first came out..

necessity drives.. but if folks think we are getting the benifits from multi when in reality we aint the necessity aint there.. so its easier to let em keep thinking what they do.. any "fool" knows two is better than one and four is better than two dont they.. he he he

trog
What do you want me to prove, and how? I claimed that multi core is faster in some apps, and that they multi task better. I don't have to prove anything here, as it's already been proven for me.

Here's a better idea, why don't you prove it for me by encoding some video to H.264 in single and dual mode. Then encode the same video while playing a game in both single and dual. I'll let you guess the outcome.

System Name money pit..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
a bit of an extreme test that one.. i dont encode video.. and even if i did would not be foolish enough to encode video whilst playing a theoretically cpu intensive game..

find me a more sensible test and i will run it..

and to all the guys out there who think u need a powerfull cpu to play your games.. u dont really.. just stop encoded the several videos u have on the go whilst frying eggs at the same time as trying to play your game....

come on dude be real..

trog

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
a bit of an extreme test that one.. i dont encode video.. and even if i did would not be foolish enough to encode video whilst playing a theoretically cpu intensive game..

find me a more sensible test and i will run it..

and to all the guys out there who think u need a powerfull cpu to play your games.. u dont really.. just stop encoded the several videos u have on the go whilst frying eggs at the same time as trying to play your game....

come on dude be real..

trog
I DO encode video and game at the same time. It's nothing for my rig. While waiting for my encode to finish, it's not unusual for me to fire up some FEAR or HL2.

System Name money pit..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
I DO encode video and game at the same time. It's nothing for my rig. While waiting for my encode to finish, it's not unusual for me to fire up some FEAR or HL2.

i do believe u.. but i would say u are an exception rather than a rule.. but again a single core would probably do that at a fast enough speed..

but u are again proving any old mickey mouse cpu is good enough to play fear or HL2..

my problem with this mulitasking thing is it dosnt work as it should.. the op isnt clever enough to use one core for the game and one core for the video.. its just as likely to be daft enough to try and do both on the one core or just mix it all up and run both cores at half speed..

i quite often see two cores working at 50% or less.. i never unless useing a multicore app see them both working at 100%..

with one core the op uses it at 100%.. with two cores i see 50% and no more.. i should see 100% way more often than i do.. a single core chip running twice as fast would show 100% two cores running half the speed dont..

i simply am trying to point out the multi things aint quite what its made out to be..

yep two cores at 2.4 gig may be needed for S/P but one at 4 gig would do the job just as well plus it would do everything else better.. basically one fast chip at 4 gig is way better than two slow ones at 2 gig.. but we are brainwashed into multi..

trog

D

Deleted member 24505

Well heres my new mod.

basically,the block with the trimmer on,plugs into the block on the card.there are two measure points on the trimmer block for measuring vgpu.I can disable it by just pulling off the trimmer block.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name money pit..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
nicely done tigger.. another idea.. more than one trimmer pot.. preset and marked.. diffrent colour paint dabs would do.. just plug the one u want in..

i only say this cos i cant see much point in going back to full 850 cripple voltage cos thats what it is..

it would also save measuring voltages if more than one boost is needed.. a 24/7 boost or short term benching extra boost..

to me the default voltage is now redundant..

trog

D

Deleted member 24505

Thats an interesting idea,I could use different blocks with the trimmers set for differant voltages.Then just plug the one in i want.With it like this,i can plug the block in,then set it for whatever vcore,and take it off and measure what resitance the trimmer is on.It means the trimmer is not affected by the components on the board when i measure the resistance.

I've been trying to find a small volt meter,i would like one fitted to my card so i can see what the vgpu is at a glance.

Reset

Good job there Tigger, nice neat and compact looking mod. I also like how you used a terminal block to plug in the trimmer so you can remove it to go back to stock. I think the idea works great for two trimmers also, but I don't get that really. Yeah it's fun to know the extreme benchmark, but once you've seen it, that's that! I am more concerned on my games running as extreme as I can get without errors or crashes. The plug in idea also is good down the road when you need the trimmer for a different, new card, you won't have to desolder it. Good idea!

I can't wait to get my trimmers and see how my mod turns out. If it looks good enough I might show a pix. :)

System Name money pit..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
the only advantage i see with the hard mod as opposed to the pencil mod (done properly) is the easily adjustable factor..

for one fixed voltage increase the simple pencil mod seems to do the trick..

i had mine at 2.5 volts just with a pencil.. i had it that high the card woulnt boot.. 1.5 volts or just over should take any half decent 3870 chip right up to 1000 or close on the core but would need water cooling at the least..

mine at 1.5 stock cooler ran way too hot.. i ran it just for the the heat test.. the fan at 100% just about kept it at 100 C..

how long the card will live at 1.5 volts is also anybodies guess..

haunted will soon tell us... he he

trog

D

Deleted member 24505

For me,the pencil mod is too hit and miss tho'.Its much easier to get an accurate voltage increase with the hard mod.

System Name money pit..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
For me,the pencil mod is too hit and miss tho'.Its much easier to get an accurate voltage increase with the hard mod.

yes i agree.. but it does kill the warranty on the card and the skill and equipment to do it is required..

i have the skill and equipment but still wont bother but i can see why some do..

trog

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
ok guys I have been playing around with my card all week long and now I have a problem, I lost one of my probes, can I use a crock clip to replace that probe to check the resistance

D

Deleted member 24505

heres a pic of it in action while running 3dmark06

EDIT- i just rebooted and took it off to measure the resistance.On my dmm set on the 200k setting,it is 61.2kohms for 1.34vgpu.

maybe you could just put a 61/2kohm resistor between the ground and the connection point to give you 1.34vgpu?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
heres a pic of it in action while running 3dmark06

http://img.techpowerup.org/080118/IMG_3179.jpg

EDIT- i just rebooted and took it off to measure the resistance.On my dmm set on the 200k setting,it is 61.2kohms for 1.34vgpu.

maybe you could just put a 61/2kohm resistor between the ground and the connection point to give you 1.34vgpu?
To figure out the size of fixed resistor you need, just pull your VR off, and measure it by itself.

Processor e8200 3.93mhz@1.264v
Motherboard P5E3 Pro
Cooling Scythe Infinity
Memory 4gb of G.Skill Ripjaw 6-7-7-18@1404 and 1.62v
Video Card(s) HIS 5770 v2 940/1275mhz stock volts
Storage 1TB Hitachi
Display(s) Acer 22" Widescreen LCD
Case Blue Cooler Master Centurion
Audio Device(s) Onboard audio :(, and Klipsch 5.1 Pro Media's
Power Supply 650 Watt BFG
Software Vista 64 Ultimate
A little off topic guys, but do you feel it is safe to flash the g-card bios from a virtual floppy? I have no floppy drive, but the mobo has a virtual floppy. Unless I have the bios a vmod is useless.

D

Deleted member 24505

Thats what i did wile E,its 61.2kohms for 1.34v.I figured mebbe someone else could use the info if they wanted to use a fixed resistor.

System Name money pit..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
can u give us some adjustment parameters tigger.. like say 1.34.. 1.4 .. 1.45..

it would be useful..

trog

D

Deleted member 24505

I will do today,i will log the resistances for a few set voltages-

1.3/1.35/1.4/1.45

Its so easy to be accurate now,i can hold the probes on the measure points and adjust it,so i can see the voltage go up.

I figure as long as i'm in windows and not in 3d mode,it should be ok to put the trimmer block on.What d'ya think?

System Name money pit..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
I will do today,i will log the resistances for a few set voltages-

1.3/1.35/1.4/1.45

Its so easy to be accurate now,i can hold the probes on the measure points and adjust it,so i can see the voltage go up.

I figure as long as i'm in windows and not in 3d mode,it should be ok to put the trimmer block on.What d'ya think?

i cant see any problems with putting it on or off on the fly..

trog

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Motherboard AsRork x370 Taichi
Cooling EK Custom Loop - CPU only
Memory 32gb G-Skill Trident Z
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 Superclock 2
Storage Too Many
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2450WM-LED 24" & LG 32 IPS
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 500
Software Win10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i5 750 4.62ghz pi runs // Evga FTW p55
Tigger, its sweet looking! and it won't harm your card at all by taking it on and off. Its volts that your messing with. isn't there ocing programs that you can use to oc your computer in windows?? then if so, they change volts there.. so I really don't see how they would hurt it.