• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HD4850 modded bios working with cat 8.8!

steve30x

Ive got the 8.8 driver installed after changing my Motherboard and CPU. My new motherboard (Asus Maximus Formula) has PCIExpress 2.0 where as my other motherboard is PCIExpress 1.1. I cant explain why that made any difference but it helped a lot.

ViciousXUSMC

System Name Vicious's Rig
Processor Q6600 @ 3.6ghz @ 1.4v (Windows)
Motherboard Asus P5Q Deluxe
Cooling Thermalright Ultra 120 Extrme with S-Scyth fan
Memory 2x2gb Mushkin DDR2 800
Video Card(s) 2x Visiontek 4850 @ 675/1000
Storage 2x 640gb Western Digital
Display(s) 37" Westinghouse LVM37-W3
Case Antec P182 Special Edition
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750w Silencer
Software Windows Vista x64 Ultimate
Benchmark Scores 3dmark06 18,582
Well now with a hand full of programs out there that can overclock you to and past the overdrive limits AND fix the fan. I may just flash back to stock bios.

I just got the new version of rivatuner and it supports 8.9

I wonder if just upping the core voltage to 1.2 will driver anything on the new drivers. Its been so long I forgot what my stable core setting was without the voltage increase I think only 675 with both cards but it does 720 with the voltage increase.

For me the drivers are fine with any bios mod except if I change voltages. Once I change voltages cat 8.8 won't install.

BAGZZlash

RBE Author
Okay, the voltages seem to be pretty much the problem.

One hint: RBE v1.15 (and any future versions, of course) has combo boxes for voltage selection in the clock settings tab instead of the old textboxes. Those combo boxes contain a list of the voltages the BIOS itself reports to being able to set on the card. Be sure to use those voltages only. This seems to solve the problem.

In fact, this is no real restriction: Imagine a BIOS with a maximum voltage of, say, 1.237 volts in the voltage table. Maybe you felt like entering, say, 1.4 volts in order to gain a maximum voltage out of the card. I did that myself as I didn't know about the voltage table yet... :eek:
For Catalysts previous than v8.8, this was no problem. It assumed an error in the powerplay table but it was clear what to do: Order the voltage controller on the card to set the maximum voltage. That was 1.237 volts.

In other words: Entering higher voltages (or lower ones, also) than the boundaries of the voltage table allow was pointless from the very beginning because there is a hardware limitation: The controller could simply select the voltages that are hard-wired on the card anyway. So be sure to set voltages allowed by the combo list only. Still, you can enter your own values. But to quote myself: This is pointless. It had no effect before and produces an error now with newer drivers... :rolleyes:

Think about it: Of course, this is the cause for old modded BIOSes (that worked with Catalyst v8.7 and previous) not to work anymore now. All you have to do is to re-mod your BIOS observing the voltage table (or easier, selecting voltages from those combo boxes).

Remember one thing: In case you choose to overclock your card using Overdrive, you don't have to care about this. Even if you modify your BIOS using RBE's Overdrive increasing hack, you don't. Overdrive selects the voltages on its own, then.

Last edited:
I cant get it to work even though I am observing the bios tables?

I am changing the voltages of 3 and 6-9 to 1.158v. Like others Ive had this problem from 8.8 onwards.

edit:

The problem was actually a failed injection of the signature from another bios.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24505

For referance,here is how mine is modded so you can all see.It works perfectly on 8.7/8/9.

As an added extra i have injected the overdrive sig from an asus 4850top and my overdrive limits are now 800/1300.I have testeed my card on 06 and my maximum clocks(benchable) are 760/1200.

Hope this helps someone.

System Name Everchanging
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair Dark Hero
Cooling Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer 2 420mm
Memory 2x16GB Corsair DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) eVGA RTX 3090 Ti FTW3
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 256GB, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) 2xSamsung 28" 4k HDR 144Hz
Case Fractal Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) fiio K9 to Hifiman Sundara's via 4.4mm balanced cable
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX 850w
Mouse Corsair Harpoon Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 x64
If I were to just then go and apply the first hash method to increase the overdrive limits and then flash the card with that BIOS then it should work?

BAGZZlash

RBE Author
I cant get it to work even though I am observing the bios tables?

I am changing the voltages of 3 and 6-9 to 1.158v. Like others Ive had this problem from 8.8 onwards.

Maybe you still have to remove and reinstall the driver. See VuurVOS's guidance.

If I were to just then go and apply the first hash method to increase the overdrive limits and then flash the card with that BIOS then it should work?

Please remember that in case you turn on and use overdrive, the powerplay table settings won't kick in after all. So there will be no powersaving but you can leave those settings at default values, then. This should also answer you question here.

D

Deleted member 24505

Powerplay seems to work on mine,500/750 on windows and switches to 700/1100 in a game.

steve30x

Im using my default bios and using Ati Tray Tools for automatic overclocking. I have my GPU @ 500 / 500 default load clocks with ATT. Ive tried putting the ram to 200mhz but after about half an hour the GPU gets unstable and freezes.

kimnkk

Weird, my HD4850 isn't working with any drivers at all! Does anyone know if its related? I initially flashed it with the first Guru3D modded HD4850 725/1100 BIOS but i've flashed it back to stock and drivers will not install.

I've tried 8.7, 8.8 and 8.9! The only drivers that i've tried that does work is the one that came on my HIS HD4850 disc.

This is the error i get, no matter the driver version i try.

"Setup was unable to find components that can be installed on your current hardware or software configuration. Please make sure you have the required hardware or software."

I've also tried a fresh reformat! :cry:

D

Deleted member 24505

can you upload your stock bios,so i can have a look at it please?

thx

tigger

kimnkk

Hey mate,

Thanks so much! I've uploaded the BIOS to rapidshare, i hope that's okay.

http://rapidshare.com/files/147136484/RV770.bin

If i got another graphics card (like a cheap 2400pro) and ran it in the other PCI-E slot, do you think the 8.9 drivers would install okay for both, since there is 'compatible' hardware that it can detect?

Thanks again mate!

D

Deleted member 24505

It looks ok to me,here is my stock bios,its exactly the same as yours,you can try it if you like.

There is nothing wrong with your stock bios,it is exactly the same as my stock,all the settings the lot.I have no idea why it wont work.

Its worth a try with the 2400 in too.

If it dont work with the 2400 in or with my stock bios,rma the card.

Attachments

• RV770.zip
    39.4 KB · Views: 216

kimnkk

Thanks mate! I'll give yours a go now and report back.

Also, i've been using Winflash to flash the BIOS - would that affect the way that its flashed? I wouldn't think so, but my problem is so weird that i wouldn't be surprised that it did!

D

Deleted member 24505

I have flashed my bios loads of time using winflash 2011 with no problems at all.

kimnkk

I just tried flashing it with your BIOS but still the same problem. Bugger.

Anymore ideas mate? I'm willing to try anything now!

D

Deleted member 24505

I'm out of ideas bud,i think you may have to return it,there is nothing wrong with the bios.How about trying a reinstall of windows? or trying driver cleaner to scrub out all the ati driver and stuff,then trying a reinstall of cat 8.8?

Other than that i dont know what to suggest.

kimnkk

No worries mate, appreciate your help :).

I did a full reformat yesterday :(. Actually, i don't think i've tried any other drivers apart from the ones that came on the disc, so it could have been like this from factory but because i haven't tried installing newer drivers since a few days ago, i didn't know.

I'll keep fiddling around and see what happens :).

Thanks mate!

steve30x

The voltages arent the problem. I tried changing the voltages as suggested but the driver failed to install for me with that done. So I went to flash another bios and bricked my 4870. Thankfully I was able to recover the GPU by using my 8800GTX in the first PCI Express slot and reflashing the GPU. But it will only work with the DVI connection on the right of the card as you are facing the rear of my computer. The other DVI connection is dead now. Initiatly the card wouldnt work on that DVI connection but now its the opposite. I may have a defective card.

mauronow25

For referance,here is how mine is modded so you can all see.It works perfectly on 8.7/8/9.

As an added extra i have injected the overdrive sig from an asus 4850top and my overdrive limits are now 800/1300.I have testeed my card on 06 and my maximum clocks(benchable) are 760/1200.

Hope this helps someone.

opppppps!

nice clocks!!! , I can not overcome 710/1080 stable playing Grid, because it can be? I will be lacking the power source of 12 volts. ? Is a Powercooler 550watts, or which will be the problem? :confused::confused::confused:
I use the CCC 8.8 and I have put the clocks as shown in the picture.

Thanks !

Mauro from Argentina.

BAGZZlash

RBE Author
opppppps!

nice clocks!!! , I can not overcome 710/1080 stable playing Grid, because it can be? I will be lacking the power source of 12 volts. ? Is a Powercooler 550watts, or which will be the problem? :confused::confused::confused:
I use the CCC 8.8 and I have put the clocks as shown in the picture.

Thanks !

Mauro from Argentina.

Please use RBE v1.15 and enter supported voltages only. Refer to the tutorial for more information.

Zebatshu

Processor Intel Cor2Duo E8200
Motherboard Asus P5E x38
Cooling Fail stock
Memory 2x1g DDR2 800
Video Card(s) 2 x HD4850 512mg
Display(s) Asus VW222U
Case Coolermaster stacker 690
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX
Power Supply Coolermaster 650W
I have a bit of a problem here, I used RBE v1.15 just to change the fan profile, but now I can't use CCC 8.9. CCC 8.8 works fine with the new bios I made. Does anyone have an idea how I can get CCC 8.9 to work?

Last edited: