• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Media PC 3.0

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
All my pictures seem to be gone from this thread - i will reupload them if i can find them.

This is the project log for my new media PC.

1. Current hardware

Nexus Caterpillar 'silent' case
Athlon 64 4000+ (skt AM2)
GA-MA78GM-S2H - 780G chipset, HDMI. DTS connect onboard (real time DTS encoding)
2x1GB DDR2 800
onboard Radeon 3200
1x 160GB 3.5" IDE HDD. Near silent.
Logitech cordless MX3200 keyboard set
Antec Basiq 550W. Fan modded for silence.

40" samsung HDTV (Shared with main system)
Shares Logitech Z-5500's with gaming PC

2. Long term hardware list. (parts i'm looking for)

mATX half height media case. Looking for a silent one, w/ PSU.
2.5" SSD HDD, 30GB or larger. (Expecting to wait a few months on this)

Plan for things to do:

1. Install system with generic PSU on a testbench. Run full power tests with my maplin 2000MU power meter done
2. swap to antec PSU, run full power tests. done
3. Post results up here on TPU, so that beginners can begin to see how quality PSU's can even save you money done

4. take pics as i build the PC, put that up here as a small guide on how to build a HTPCdone
5. benchmark the living hell out of it, just to see what that onboard video can do
6. write up a small guide showing people how to get proper dolby digital/DTS audio out of their HTPC's, as well as the best video quality (AKA, a guide on media player classic, coreAVC and AC3 filter) done. stopped being small.

Suggestions on what else to do here, are welcome. i've got nothing but free time, as its holidays here so i have no uni :)

Overclocking results:
Combining RMclock and my OC, i've done the following.

• System boots at 250x8 (2GHz) on auto CPU voltages. Ram is at 866Mhz (its stable)
  • RMclock then kicks in, raising the multi to 10.5 (CPU max) and voltage to 1.328V (tock volts for 500MHz more? win!)
  • RMclock then uses its automatic adjustments, dropping to 1.25GHz (5x250) at 0.9v
  • system runs cool and low power at idle/watching movies, and clocks right up when needed (which is... well, never)
  • load temp is 38C in everest ultimate (15C in coretemp, but thats obviously wrong)

end result: a smart PC that does exactly what i want, when i want it... and doesnt waste any power doing it. pity this doesnt help the pathetic 3dmark 06 score.

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
The guide!

How to build a media PC aka "Home Theater PC" (HTPC)
Obviously, you're gunna need a big screen, a TV, and some speakers. The hardware you have there, will dictate the hardware you'll need from your PC - so plan ahead.

Planning stage:

First things first: when making a HTPC, choose small, quiet components. it doesnt matter how good your case/accesory/doodad is that claims to be silent, if it has a single moving part... its not silent. Choose hardware that can run without fans, silent hard drives, and a quiet PSU from the start, and you wont need to spend another $100 later soundproofing your case.

by choosing a motherboard with the right hardware from the start, i wont need an extra sound card or video card - that saves me money when building it, AND saves power when using it (which indirectly, saves me more money). In my case, i also made sure the motherboard has E-sata, as theres where the movies i'll be watching are stored.

here is the rear of the motherboard i chose: for this system i will be using HDMI for video, optical SPDIF for audio, and E-sata to connect my external hard drives. Because i have all neccesary connectors onboard, thats it for hardware purchases. I dont need any add-on cards to meet my goals.

Some of this stuff is common sense, but its all important when building a media PC.
Because my build is going to be silent, all the fans need to be slow, quiet and possibly temperature controlled. The concern here is that if you dont choose your parts properly, your new media PC could overheat. There are a few key things you can do, to help with this.
  • Choose low power parts to start with. Check CPU Wattages, and power draw of video cards - lower is better, for media PC use. If it comes passive out of the box, its going to be a low heat model.
  • Be careful with your wiring. If you only have one, or two fans - you cant afford for loose wires to get in the way, and block what little airflow you have
  • Zip/Cable ties are your friends! tie those loose wires out of the way!
  • Choose quality fans to begin with. My nexus fans are quiet at full speed, and silent when slowed down. Why buy high speed fans, if it takes a $30 fan controller to get them to an acceptable speed?
  • Choose a high efficiency power supply, with a quiet fan. If you get an 80 plus certified PSU, that means its going to be more efficient - and that means colder. less heat means less problems.
  • Positive airflow is better. That means more air in the case, than out. (dont forget to count your PSU fan here). The logic is that a positive airflow case, while not quite as well cooled will attract less dust - and your media PC is going to be sitting there, for hours and hours, collecting dust for months before you ever get to it. Keep it off the ground, and keep it clean.

Installation
At this point, i start installing the hardware. Check this guide here by Zekrahminator. He covers all the basics, i'm only going into media-PC specifics.

In my case, i already had a "sound proofed" nexus caterpillar case available, so i'm using that. Its a full sized ATX case, supposedly soundproofed and silent. Might as well use it for this guide, and my initial build.

The motherboard i'm using, is a Gigabyte mATX (micro ATX) board, with onboard video, audio, and networking. Why? Because its cheaper when i build the PC, and because it will save me power having just one piece of hardware doing all the work (instead of adding in dedicated cards to do the same job). The other advantage here, is that most media PC cases are 'half height' - that is, normal sized expansion cards dont fit! going all onboard, means i dont have to worry about parts not fitting when i replace the case.

First thing when installing a micro ATX (mATX) mobo into a full sized ATX case: lining up the screws! due to different sized motherboards using different hole locations, not all cases line up correctly out of the box. They use brass 'standoffs' which screw into the case, and then the motherboard screws into them. Motherboards do NOT screw directly into a case.
See the following pics, for example.

In this pic, you can see that the motherboard has 8 screw holes (highlighted in red circles)

In this picture of the nexus case, you can see four pre-installed standoffs in the right positions for this motherboard, and some holes where i'll need to attach the rest. Notice how sometimes they're very close to each other - its important to get the right ones, or you could have a standoff poking into the back of your motherboard, and short it out.

Of course, once its all in the case its ready to go. From here on will differ between systems, but theres a few tricks i've learned which can help people out, but have nowhere else to go in this guide.
  • Get a cordless mouse and keyboard, and place the transmitter on top of your TV. it will have line of sight even if you place the keyboard on an arm rest or a coffee table, therefore having a better signal to use.
  • Try and get a case with easy access front USB ports or get a USB docking ball on top of the PC, so people can plug in flash drives or external hard drives with ease. Might as well make it simple to get your movies/music on and off the PC.
  • Bling is bad. You dont want roaring fans drowning out your music, and you dont want bright LED fans blinding you when trying to watch movies
  • less is more. One hard drive is enough - make the rest external, or its only going to add to the noise, heat, and power consumption.
  • Universal remotes can be used in combination with USB media center remotes. Simply "teach" your universal remote the commands your USB MCE remote uses, and you can do what i do and run your TV, speakers, and PC all from the one remote!

Software Setup

I'm going to write this guide using the software i use. It works, it doesnt conflict with other applications or programs. If you have any other codec packs installed on your PC (especially K-lite) - remove them before following this guide.

Software you will need:
1. CCCP (aka combined community codec pack)
2. AC3 filter
3. if its on a slower PC, you'll need CoreAVC
CoreAVC is not free, but it definately speeds things up. On dual core machines, its not neccesary - so try with CCCP's inbuild codecs and only buy coreAVC if neccesary.

step 1. Installing CCCP

four pictures are included here - i have omitted steps for install directory and such, as they are unimportant.

1. Install with media player classic as the default player.

2. My suggested settings

3. Screenshot of settings for analogue speaker users (these will be changed later, for those with digital speaker setups like my logitech Z-5500's)

4. reccomended settings

Install AC3 filter now. its pretty basic.

Analogue users:
Pictures are not needed at this stage, so long as you listen to what i'm saying here. There is an option under "output format" to allow you to choose your speaker setup. If using analogue speakers, set this to match your speaker setup. If you're on digital, there should be a "no change" or "same as input" option - use that instead.
That setting can wreck true 5.1 files and drops them down to a "stereo x2" instead of true 5.1, so if you're having problems - try alternatives settings here.

Digital users:
tick the "use SPDIF" box on the "main" tab, and then setup your "SPDIF" tab like the following picture

This will pass through digital audio signals, without modifying them in any way. If you have a 5.1 file, you will get 5.1 sound - if you have a 2.0 file, you will get 2.0 sound. If your file is dolby digital you will get dolby digital, if its dolby DTS you will get DTS.

now for coreAVC (should you use the trial, or buy the program)
You can skip ahead until you get tickboxes for what components to install: untick "haali media splitter" - its already installed with the CCCP, so theres no need to have it twice. thats it.

Now, load media player classic.
Right click on the blank image in the middle of the window, and click options.
In the left hand pane, click 'output' under playback.
use these settings below:

Next click "external filters" and click "add filter"
click AC3filter and hit ok. On the right side of the window, click "prefer"
Repeat this for CoreAVC if you intend to use it.
click ok, close media player classic, and then open your media file... and you will now have the fastest software decoder for High definition files, as well as true 5.1 surround sound.

And the results?

You tell me... just how slow of a CPU can i pull this off with? :)

While the full movie may be a higher bitrate than this trailer, it does give you a pretty good indication that even 'older' hardware is more than capable of running HD movies in a media PC.

Power testing!
Now that the system is complete, we'll go on and dispel a few myths about PSU's - some people tell you to get ridiculously high wattage, others tell you it literally 'wastes' power.
I have a power meter, so i did some tests with a few PSU's i had lying around.

Power test: antec basiq 550W PSU

System boot up: Highest reading was 92W, and that was while the vista logon screen appeared. Lowest was 50W. Average was around 65-70W.

Idling at the desktop with cool and quiet enabled, the system is using 46W of power.

Watching the aforementioned HD trailer played steadily at 62-64W, depending on the complexity of the scene.

Maxing out the system with a combination of ATI tool and Orthos, the system peaked at 106 Watts of power used. At this maximum load, the PSU gave off a power factor efficiency reading of 91%.
Despite the fact this PSU was at one fifth of its rated output it had over 90% efficiency, and ran the system perfectly fine. There is nothing wrong with using a 'too large' PSU to run even a low power system such as this one.
**************************************************************************************
Generic "Sun Pro" 550W PSU
This PSU came free with a case, and i know for a fact its pretty poor. Its got a 50W higher rating than the other one, but anyone with PSU knowledge out there already knows this generic, cheaply made unit is going to make a poor showing of itself.

System boot up: Highest reading was 94W, and that was while the vista logon screen appeared. matched up with the antec here, more or less

Idling at the desktop with cool and quiet enabled, the system is using 53W of power. almost 10% more than the antec.

Watching the aforementioned HD trailer played steadily at 79-81W, upto 15W higher than the antec

Maxing out the system with a combination of ATI tool and Orthos, the system peaked at 118 Watts of power used. At this maximum load, the PSU gave off a power factor efficiency reading of 65%.

this PSU was rated 50W higher than the antec (which sounds like it should be 10% better, to a beginner) but in the end, it was around 10% *worse* - it was less efficient, and that showed up in the power consumption.

Summary:
Buy a real PSU - it doesnt just save you the risk of a PSU dying and killing your hardware - this example here uses about 10% less power, so thats 10% less electricity cost every year. THAT will save you money, as media centers are nearly always left on for hours and hours a day.

Note: just because there was a 10% difference in wattage, and roughly a 10% decrease in efficiency at the tested wattages, doesnt lend any credence to higher wattage PSU's "wasting" power. The higher the consumption got, the further and further these PSU's spread apart - if this was a 200-250W system, that generic would be wasting 50 watts or more of power, making the % difference even greater.

Modifying cool and quiet to save even more power with RMclock.
This *only* works on AMD CPU's and in most cases, ONLY if motherboard settings are left on auto - if you change your voltages in the BIOS, they aint gunna change in RMclock.

While this process is fairly simple, the program has a somewhat confusing layout. I'll be providing pictures, and a step by step process to show how its done.

1. Default settings

This is RMclocks default settings - notice how the voltages are all rather high.

Here, we disable everything except the multiplier we wish to test (5x) at the voltage we wish to test (1.250v, in this example - which is too high, as AMD CPU's are guaranteed to run at 1.10V at 1GHz)

Now we use the maximum performance profile (this one doesnt auto-adjust) and test it out. Locking it to this setting will allow us to test this specific multiplier on this specific voltage - it ensures its completely stable.

Next we turn the profile on - at this point, if your system freezes or locks up, it means your voltage was too low and the system crashed.

Next, we fire up a few programs.
  • CPU-Z to make sure the Multiplier and voltage are correct, and actually changed.
  • Coretemp to check temperatures. On my system, they're very innacurate - it claims 12 degrees, when its over 25C in my room.

Now, you let it test - if it lasts a few hours, consider dropping it another notch. The goal here is to find the lowest voltage that multiplier will run at - that makes it uses less power, and therefore saving you more money (and making the PC cooler/quieter too)

Once you've done this for the 5x multi, work your way up, one by one, testing each individual voltage out.
Once you've done that, repeat this process for each individual multiplier. it *will* take you a few hours/days, so be prepared to spend some time on this.

Once you've got them all narrowed in, it will look something like this

Next, go to "performance on demand" and tick all the boxes to enable those multipliers in this profile

Finally, set the program to start that profile whenever the program is started (using the startup dropdown, instead of 'current'). I prefer to set this up, and then leave a shortcut to RMclock in my windows startup folder, so that if it ever goes bad, i can simply boot into safe mode and delete the shortcut.

Thats it!

End results
average FPS is shown in the player to prove it wasnt stuttering or performing badly.
Tray icon for RMclock shows i'm running at 1000MHz (or 1GHz) at 0.85v ( as opposed to 1.10V with AMD cool and quiet)
at this setting, plaback consumed an all-devouring 46W of power :) mission accomplished.

Last edited:

viczulis

System Name Bandit 7
Processor Intel I7 920 (Havent OCd yet)
Motherboard MSI X58 Pro
Cooling Air Black Knight
Memory 6 Gbs of something
Video Card(s) 2 - XFX 5770s 1 Gb (waiting for a price drop to go higher)
Storage 1 - TB Sata Seagate
Display(s) 28" LCD
Case CM HAF , G-5 mouse, Saitek Cyborg Keyboard
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX 2 Audio Card
Power Supply ABS Tagan BZ Series 900 W Modular
Software 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium
System Name UltraPC
Processor E8500 Core 2 Duo, 1333Mhz FSB, 3.16Ghz @ 4.5GHz (got into Windows @ 4.75GHz)
Motherboard ASUS P5Q-e
Cooling CPU Cooler - TT V14 Pro, 2x120mm CM Blue LED fans, 1x90mm CM Blue LED fan
Memory G.Skill Pi 4GB (2x2GB) Dual Channel DDR2 PC8000 (1000MHz), 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD4850 512mb with ASUS EAH4850 BIOS
Storage 2x 500GB Seagate 7200.12 Raid 0
Display(s) Acer AL1912, 19" LCD screen
Case Thermaltake Soprano Black ATX case
Audio Device(s) Onboard 7.1, Speakers - 5 + Sub + Monitor speakers
Power Supply Thermaltake 850W Toughpower Cable Management - Quad (2x18A and 2x30A) 12V rails
Software Win 7 Pro x64, MSN, CS:Source, etc etc
Lol Mussels you bored .. :p.

Na I feel the same way...uni over and sooo much free time :D.

But yeah, just a suggestion, if you wanna do a professional thing (I mean if your spending all the time, you may as well lol) do it up nice and post it as an article! I know there is already an article on how to build a computer, but this is diff ;).

**BTW if you do make it an article, ill be happy to help/spellcheck/etc.

^ Just a suggestion :)

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
thanks pinchy, thats half my intention. not just the hardware, but the software side as well. all info will be in the first post (personal stuff) and second post (pics/guides) so that the second post can just be imported into an article, if and when its ready.

I wont be going too far into the basics (installing ram/CPU etc), so the other guide and this should go hand in hand.

Last edited:
System Name VAN
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz LGA 775 95W @ 3.0GHz
Motherboard ASUS P5Q Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P45 Intel Motherboard
Cooling Thermaltake SpinQ VT, front-rear-side 120mm, top-bottom 80mm
Memory Crucial Ballistix Tracer 8GB(4x2GB), DDR2, 800 MHz, 4-4-4-12, 2.0V, w/ Red LEDs
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon HD 6770 1GB
Storage Samsung 850 PRO 256SSD (OS) - WD 640GB 7200 RPM (files) - Seagate 1TB 7200 (backup)
Display(s) DUAL 19" Samsung, LG LCDs
Case NZXT Lexa Blackline
Audio Device(s) Realtek Onboard
Power Supply OCZ 600 Stealth-X-Stream 600W RT
Mouse Cyborg R.A.T. 9
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Ultimate
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
this sounds really interesting! subscribed! I'm excited for following along!

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
second post updated with software instructions.

this guide is going to cover quite a few things, in the long run.

The settings/software in the guide, have let me play 1080P anime movies smoothly, on systems as low as a 1.6GHz pentium 4 laptop (dothan) and a 2.4GHz pentium 4 desktop (northwood)

System Name VAN
Memory Crucial Ballistix Tracer 8GB(4x2GB), DDR2, 800 MHz, 4-4-4-12, 2.0V, w/ Red LEDs
Storage Samsung 850 PRO 256SSD (OS) - WD 640GB 7200 RPM (files) - Seagate 1TB 7200 (backup)
Case NZXT Lexa Blackline
Mouse Cyborg R.A.T. 9
wow VERY in depth and detailed this is going to be an amazing guide!

System Name Stealth 2 Duo Turbine
Processor Intel e6850 @ 3.8ghz
Motherboard Asus Striker Extreme
Cooling CoolerMaster V8 Modded With 2 white LED's & 100CFM fan
Memory OCZ DDR2 1066_ SLI Black-4GB
Video Card(s) 2xMSI 8800GT"s SLI
Storage <<HDD For OS>> 2x150GB_Western Digital Raptor_Raid 0. <<HDD For Storage>> 3 x 1TB
Display(s) ACER B273HU 27" LCD 2048x1152
Case Apex SuperCase_Custom 7 month Build
Audio Device(s) Striker Extreme Add-In Card HD-Audio
Power Supply EnerMax INFINITI 720watt
Software SE7VEN ULTIMATE 64bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark01=NTTA, 3Dmark06=NTTA 3Dmark_Vantage=NTTA, Core Temp v0.99.5=28C
well done,, no matter how much some of us know,, I bet will learn something from this guide.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
well done,, no matter how much some of us know,, I bet will learn something from this guide.

it has about twice as much info in there now, and i'm finally learning the codes this forum uses while i'm at it!

all thats left is to re-arrange it into a more logical order, and get pics/test results once the parts are in.

System Name VAN
Case NZXT Lexa Blackline
Mouse Cyborg R.A.T. 9
cant wait for the new picts...are those going to be in post 2?

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
cant wait for the new picts...are those going to be in post 2?

yup. mobos already shipped out, CPU ships tomorrow. once they're in, i'll start assembly/pics.

ktr

If your planning to connect this to a surround sound system, I would go for an nvidia 8200 chipset (or 8300) for it can do 8ch lcpm uncompress audio over HDMI, while the 780g can only do 2ch uncompressed, and 5.1ch compressed.

Last edited:
System Name VAN
Case NZXT Lexa Blackline
Mouse Cyborg R.A.T. 9
wow I just realized the audio industry is huge and I know absolutely nothing about it

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
If your planning to connect this to a surround sound system, I would go for an nvidia 8200 chipset (or 8300) for it can do 8ch lcpm uncompress audio over HDMI, while the 780g can only do 2ch uncompressed, and 5.1ch compressed.

my Z5500's dont have HDMI inputs. see directly under the first pic, where i state that i use optical audio.

System Name Desktop|| Virtual Host 0
Processor Intel Core i5 2500-K @ 4.3ghz || 2x Xeon L5630 (total 8 cores, 16 threads)
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V || Dell PowerEdge R710 (Intel 5520 chipset)
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100 || Stock hotplug fans and passive heatsinks
Memory 4x4gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 || 12x4gb Hynix DDR3 1066 FB-DIMMs
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 760 Gaming Twin Frozr 4GB OC || Don't know, don't care
Storage Hitachi 7K3000 2TB || 6x300gb 15k rpm SAS internal hotswap, 12x3tb Seagate NAS drives in enclosure
Display(s) ViewSonic VA2349S || remote iDRAC KVM console
Case Antec P280 || Dell PowerEdge R710
Audio Device(s) HRT MusicStreamer II+ and Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 || Don't know, don't care
Power Supply SeaSonic X650 Gold || 2x870w hot-swappable
Mouse Logitech G500 || remote iDRAC KVM console
Keyboard Logitech G510 || remote iDRAC KVM console
Software Win7 Ultimate x64 || VMware vSphere 6.0 with vCenter Server 6.0
Benchmark Scores Over 9000 on the scouter
lots of great info in this guide. CCCP and media player classic or zoomplayer are a definite must for any media pc. I prefer zoomplayer, but the free version doesn't play dvd's, so media player classic is probably the best option for a media pc.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
motherboard is due today and CPU + ram tomorrow :D piccies soon!

Edit: motherboard just arrived. not much point taking pics yet, as the gigabyte website yielded some pretty decent images of the motherboard.

This is the board i received, a revision 1.1 instead of the 2.0 posted in the original post.

Differences between it and rev 2.0: the CPU support. This revision cannot take the phenom 9850 or 9950. kinda sucky that.

Last edited:
System Name VAN
Case NZXT Lexa Blackline
Mouse Cyborg R.A.T. 9
wohooo cant wait to see these :D

by the way what time is it there when I made this post? I am just curois how far different our time zones are. If you dont want to tell for some reason, no harm done...just curious.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
wohooo cant wait to see these :D

by the way what time is it there when I made this post? I am just curois how far different our time zones are. If you dont want to tell for some reason, no harm done...just curious.

12:51pm when you made the post. its 1:05pm now, as i post this.

System Name VAN
Case NZXT Lexa Blackline
Mouse Cyborg R.A.T. 9
wow 8 hour difference, you are 8 hours in the past....

or 16 hours in the future...:eek:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
wow 8 hour difference, you are 8 hours in the past....

or 16 hours in the future...:eek:

16 hours in the future, technically. i just had my wednesday lunch :p

Now i get to sit here and wait for the CPU to arrive, so i can get cracking on the rest of this guide!

System Name VAN
Case NZXT Lexa Blackline
Mouse Cyborg R.A.T. 9
16 hours in the future, technically. i just had my wednesday lunch :p

that's weird...ha its nowhere near Wednesday for me or at least when i posted about it

Now i get to sit here and wait for the CPU to arrive, so i can get cracking on the rest of this guide!

sweet, cant wait

P.S. are you going to OC this computer? if so please make a guide of it, I am trying to learn how...I went in and got my v core frequency from 3.00GHz to 3.06GHz lol wooohoooo, I have no clue what I'm doing though lol

System Name GaMEr / HTPC
Processor FX8320 4.5ghz so far NB- 2815mhz / X2 255 @ 3.2ghz (Temp till BD)
Motherboard 990FX-UD5 / GA-MA785GPMT-US2H
Cooling XSPC - 240rad 480rad 5 x 120mm out, 6 x 80mm in / H220-edge 1/2" & 2 x 120mm Magma
Memory 4gb PI 6,8,6,18 1T 1706mhz / 4gb Crucial D9's 1400 @ 6,6,6,18,1T
Video Card(s) 3gb HD7950 / Onboard
Storage 2 x 120gb Sandisk ultra plus 2tb WD / 60gb vertex 2 + 2 x 2tb WD Greens
Display(s) 3x24in Dell Ultra (portrait) / NEC 32" FullHD LCD
Case LL PC71A Full tower / Antec fusion black with Imon remote Modded for WC
Audio Device(s) OB / Auzentech cinema 7.1
Power Supply TT 700w TR2 / TT 600w Litepower modded with Noctua S12 fan.
Software 7 Ult / 7 premium x64
Hey mussels. Ijust rma'd my rev 1.1 and in the meantime bought the rev 2.0. The northbridge on the 1.1 sat around 80c and the rev 2.0 sits around 45c. Just an FYI. :) It may have been a board problem as it did die.

The rev 2.0 has a different NB cooler on it.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
that's weird...ha its nowhere near Wednesday for me or at least when i posted about it

sweet, cant wait

P.S. are you going to OC this computer? if so please make a guide of it, I am trying to learn how...I went in and got my v core frequency from 3.00GHz to 3.06GHz lol wooohoooo, I have no clue what I'm doing though lol

not for part of the guide, but i have no problems OCing the hell out of it just to see what it can do. For now its in a large, ATX Case - and i happen to have a thermalright ultima 90 CPU Cooler ready to go ;)
ALso, it seems i can OC the onboard video :D

Hey mussels. Ijust rma'd my rev 1.1 and in the meantime bought the rev 2.0. The northbridge on the 1.1 sat around 80c and the rev 2.0 sits around 45c. Just an FYI. :) It may have been a board problem as it did die.

The rev 2.0 has a different NB cooler on it.

Yeah i noted the northbridge heatsink change. i didnt realise you already had this board, i may ask you for OCing advice if i need it.

System Name GaMEr / HTPC
Processor FX8320 4.5ghz so far NB- 2815mhz / X2 255 @ 3.2ghz (Temp till BD)
Motherboard 990FX-UD5 / GA-MA785GPMT-US2H
Cooling XSPC - 240rad 480rad 5 x 120mm out, 6 x 80mm in / H220-edge 1/2" & 2 x 120mm Magma
Memory 4gb PI 6,8,6,18 1T 1706mhz / 4gb Crucial D9's 1400 @ 6,6,6,18,1T
Video Card(s) 3gb HD7950 / Onboard
Storage 2 x 120gb Sandisk ultra plus 2tb WD / 60gb vertex 2 + 2 x 2tb WD Greens
Display(s) 3x24in Dell Ultra (portrait) / NEC 32" FullHD LCD
Case LL PC71A Full tower / Antec fusion black with Imon remote Modded for WC
Audio Device(s) OB / Auzentech cinema 7.1
Power Supply TT 700w TR2 / TT 600w Litepower modded with Noctua S12 fan.
Software 7 Ult / 7 premium x64
From my experience its not a very good oc board. It has a shit load of options ( remember CTL F1 in bios). I haven't oc'd an am2 cpu for a while but I couldn't get the FSB past 220. There are a couple of freq's though that I may have had mixed up. There is NB, FSB, Mem controller etc....

I really haven't had the time or patience to oc the thing yet.

That by no means implies that you can't ask though. :D

haahaaa

Good luck. I am subscribed as I bought this rig to turn into a HTPC once I get a big screeen!!