• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Does not work with 6.4 and above

System Name Beaver's Build
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) - X570
Cooling Corsair H115i RGB PLATINUM 97 CFM Liquid
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory - 16-19-19-39
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition
Storage Inland 1TB NVMe M.2 (Phison E12) / Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe 512G / WD Black 6TB - 256M cache
Display(s) Alienware AW3225QF 32" 4K 240 Hz OLED
Case Fractal Design Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 USB Audio Interface
Power Supply SuperFlower LEADEX TITANIUM 1600W
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2
Keyboard Razer Cynosa V2 (Membrane)
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores 3dmark = https://www.3dmark.com/spy/32087054 Cinebench R15 = 4038 Cinebench R20 = 9210

Celsi

I can, or better say: must confirm this problem. It drove me crazy, could not explain this until I found this thread.

Athlon64 X2 4800+ (s939), x1900xtx with cat. 6.7.

I have 2 (maybe important) information:

- Did NOT occur with Athlon64 3500+ and same config!
- Drops clocks to 400/600. I wondered where he "found" those clocks to use. With Everest tool I could see a setting named "ATI Power Play" with 3 sub-settings 1,2 and 3. These clocks where shown for setting 2. Seems to be a power save thing for notebooks, don´t know why they are taken here. Uninstalling ATI tool and reinstalling catalyst solves the issue, but I do not want to stop using ATI tool.

Please fix. Thanks !

Celsi

NLight95

I can, or better say: must confirm this problem. It drove me crazy, could not explain this until I found this thread.

Athlon64 X2 4800+ (s939), x1900xtx with cat. 6.7.

I have 2 (maybe important) information:

- Did NOT occur with Athlon64 3500+ and same config!
- Drops clocks to 400/600. I wondered where he "found" those clocks to use. With Everest tool I could see a setting named "ATI Power Play" with 3 sub-settings 1,2 and 3. These clocks where shown for setting 2. Seems to be a power save thing for notebooks, don´t know why they are taken here. Uninstalling ATI tool and reinstalling catalyst solves the issue, but I do not want to stop using ATI tool.

Please fix. Thanks !

Celsi

It is still my belief that ATI purposefully put something in Catalyst 6.4+ drivers to "break" support with ATiTools. No matter how how much I've tried I can't get ATT to work with Cat 6.4+. :banghead: So I'm stuck with Cat 6.3. At least 6.3 works with every game I run (Oblivion, SerSam2, DungSiege II, FEAR, HL2 E1, Chronicles of Riddick, Dreamfall, Paradise).

While Crossfire may be nice, it is out of reach of the average gamer's budget--not to mention that xfire has it's own set of problems. If the AMD/ATI merger goes through perhaps we'll see a change in ATI's attitude towards gaming enthusiasts. They could learn a lot from AMD in that regard.

Celsi

If they did this on purpose, it´s silly. One of the strongest reasons for me to buy ATI graphic cards IS the ATI tool. I like the fan control : you cannot hear my PC in 2D mode although it is stuffed with high-end hardware and NOT watercooled, I regulate ALL 7 fans in it with ATI tool (I built a simple fan control with relays which are all connected to the gfx card´s fan connector). Furthermore I like to underclock my gfx card in 2D Mode.

I NEED newer catalysts than 6.3 to reduce gfx problems with battlefield 2, so I had to deinstall ATI tool to get rid of the problem. This is sad, I now control my fans with ATI tray tools, but under+overclocking is done by the x1900xtx itself, and she doesn´t quite use the clocks I did with ATI tool :)

Hope this will be fixed soon.

Regards,
Celsi

b1lk1

System Name Money pit
Processor Q2Q Q8300
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 deluxe WIFI AP@N
Cooling 120.2/Swiftech655/Apogee GT/DD Fillport & res
Memory OCZ PC3-1333MHZ 2X1GB/Kingston HYPERX PC3-1325MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD4830
Storage Seagate 7200.11 1TB
Display(s) Dell 2209WA
Case some crap 5 year old generic modded case
Audio Device(s) X-FI fagtality
Power Supply PC P&C 510W
Software Vista Premium 64
I don't know about the X1900 cards, but ATITOOL works fine for me with X1800 cards with ANY version on Catalyst drivers. You just need to be sure to disable the 2 services that ATI uses for hte 2D/3D switch and doo all your clocking in ATITOOL.

As for X1900 cards, I believe they have their own issues with ATITOOL that are not related to us X1800 users. And I even overclock my X1800 Crossfire setup very successfully with ATITOOL since all other methods only overclock the master card.

NLight95

I don't know about the X1900 cards, but ATITOOL works fine for me with X1800 cards with ANY version on Catalyst drivers. You just need to be sure to disable the 2 services that ATI uses for hte 2D/3D switch and doo all your clocking in ATITOOL.

As for X1900 cards, I believe they have their own issues with ATITOOL that are not related to us X1800 users. And I even overclock my X1800 Crossfire setup very successfully with ATITOOL since all other methods only overclock the master card.

This is a common misconception. Disabling the ATI Hotkey Poller & ATI Smart services does NOT work on anything later than Cat 6.3. Yes, you do need to disable those services to get ATITool to work with Cat 6.3 and earlier versions, but with Cat 6.4+ this strategy no longer works. There are many threads proving this problem exists, not only here in Rage3D but in several other forums (HotHardware, TechPowerUp, etc.). Try running a video with your card overclocked past 650 core with the Cat 6.4+ drivers and see for yourself. The video will lock every time.

Also, there is only one version of ATI Tool, not separate 1800 & 1900 versions. I'm using the latest build, 0.24 Beta 14.

See here: http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/

NLight95

If they did this on purpose, it´s silly. One of the strongest reasons for me to buy ATI graphic cards IS the ATI tool. I like the fan control : you cannot hear my PC in 2D mode although it is stuffed with high-end hardware and NOT watercooled, I regulate ALL 7 fans in it with ATI tool (I built a simple fan control with relays which are all connected to the gfx card´s fan connector). Furthermore I like to underclock my gfx card in 2D Mode.

I NEED newer catalysts than 6.3 to reduce gfx problems with battlefield 2, so I had to deinstall ATI tool to get rid of the problem. This is sad, I now control my fans with ATI tray tools, but under+overclocking is done by the x1900xtx itself, and she doesn´t quite use the clocks I did with ATI tool :)

Hope this will be fixed soon.

Regards,
Celsi

If you have an X1800XT 512mb card then you have the option to flash it with Sapphire's X1800XT PE BIOS. This sets the default 3D core/mem to 700/800 (1600DDR). Most cards can handle the higher clocks of the PE BIOS. You'll be able to overclock higher using Overdrive. I've done it successfully with my card but I can still get more performance from ATITool (an additional 20MHz on the core is substantial to me).

http://www.techpowerup.com/bios/?search=x1800xt&Submit=Search
http://www.modders-inc.com/reviews-print-41.html