• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Project Infinity... (Htpc with built in 8inch Touch Screen)

pro-infinity

Hello and welcome to project Infinity where shall i start well i wanted to build something different i wanted to build a Home Theater Pc (htpc) but not just a boring box but something different so with the car pc getting boring the idea came to me. Build a small form factor pc with a touch screen built in making this a great little Htpc. here are some pics still not finished yet hope you like and will comment.

Case when i bought it​

Hole cut out and screen temopory fitted​

Front panel Design that was made in germany and sent here to the uk​

starting to fit the screen properly​

Switches fitted and wired to illuminate also dvd drive in​

Still got alot of work to do ive brokend the thermometer so need to find another one to fit in the gap next to the dvd drive also got to remove and spray the dvd drive at the front to silver + i want a new motherboard and cpu n memory as whats in there now is rubbish.

Keep watching there will be more pictures to come look forward to reading your coments

Lillebror

Processor Intel Core2Duo e8400 @ 3.6ghz
Motherboard Asus P5Q Pro w/ mBios
Cooling Xigmatec something with a orange fan
Memory Kingston HyperX 4 gig
Video Card(s) Sapphire hd4870
Storage 320 gb Maxtor 750gb samsung f11 250gb hitachi
Display(s) IIyama e1900s
Case CoolerMaster Ammo
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2/PM Pci
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Software Windows 7 x64
Hey mate! Good to see you on the site ;) And welcome to Tpu!

I wish you would build one like that, for my computer.

K

kyle2020

such a nice mod, ruined by one thing - the disc drive being that horrible white. haha. Maybe consider making a stealth cover for it?

How does windows perform on a touchscreen, might I ask?

pro-infinity

i knwo the dvd drive ruins it :mad: but it is not yet finished like i said plenty more work to be done :rolleyes: so it will change i just need time lol could not decide weather to leave a gap there or not or just stick the drive in so i stuck it in n it runs my pics :mad: lol never mind. windows runs ok actualy :D

System Name Stealth 2 Duo Turbine
Processor Intel e6850 @ 3.8ghz
Motherboard Asus Striker Extreme
Cooling CoolerMaster V8 Modded With 2 white LED's & 100CFM fan
Memory OCZ DDR2 1066_ SLI Black-4GB
Video Card(s) 2xMSI 8800GT"s SLI
Storage <<HDD For OS>> 2x150GB_Western Digital Raptor_Raid 0. <<HDD For Storage>> 3 x 1TB
Display(s) ACER B273HU 27" LCD 2048x1152
Case Apex SuperCase_Custom 7 month Build
Audio Device(s) Striker Extreme Add-In Card HD-Audio
Power Supply EnerMax INFINITI 720watt
Software SE7VEN ULTIMATE 64bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark01=NTTA, 3Dmark06=NTTA 3Dmark_Vantage=NTTA, Core Temp v0.99.5=28C
Nice mod,,I'm sure if you went to all the trouble to get the screen in,, you''ll finish it up with a nice drive. maybe you could make a video of it in action,, that would be nice to see. welcome to TPU & hope to see more.

pro-infinity

Ive been asked for a pic of the inside so here it is notthing special yet mainly due to cash but im saving hard :) and still in the middle of this build so. also cd drive was chucked back in for the pic so its not in properly as it was out for the next idea i have to tidy the front up ;)

K

kyle2020

i knwo the dvd drive ruins it :mad: but it is not yet finished like i said plenty more work to be done :rolleyes: so it will change i just need time lol could not decide weather to leave a gap there or not or just stick the drive in so i stuck it in n it runs my pics :mad: lol never mind. windows runs ok actualy :D

I wasnt saying it in a nasty way, just making a suggestion - rather than spraying the front perhaps making a stealth cover.

Nevermind, ill keep my suggestions to myself in the future.

pro-infinity

lol no no im glad for your sugestion and im going to run this by you please tell me what you think. right ive had the dvd drive in bits today well not bits but the case off ect.. now im thinking of fixing this to the front of the cd drive and push the drive a little bit back into the case so the front of the lcd is flat against the case ive worked it all out and it can work so i was going to solder some wire to the board of the cd drive and link it to the bottom switch on the case so when you press that the drive comes out with the lcd attatched so its then invisable and cool what you think???

o and the lcd panel is 5.25 inches same as the cd drive lol

becandl

System Name Antec 900
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz - OCed to 3GHz
Motherboard eVGA 750i FTW SLI Mobo
Cooling Zalman CNPS9700 w/ Arctic Silver 5
Memory 4GB (2 x 2GB) OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 800MHz - OCed to 1200MHz
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX260 Core 216 - OCed to 662/1427/1260
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 250GB + 160GB
Display(s) Dell Ultrasharp 21" Widescreen x2
Case Antec 900
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1 7.1
Power Supply Corsair 750watt
Software Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit
That would be absolutly amazing! Good luck!

pro-infinity

Hi ive been looking at my case and from the front it looks good but behind the screen it isnt as tidy as i want the plastic isnt smooth ect.. where i have cut out the hole for the screen so today i decided i need a dremel but when i looked at the price i thought :eek: i cant afford one so i was a bit anoyed but went around town with the wife after work to get sum bits and bobs for the house when i walked past this

not exactly got the name of a dremel but does the same sort of things and the price £17.69 which is at least £40 saving :D also it came with 40 little tools, a hanger to hang it up on for the other bit it came with which allows you to not have to hold the chunky motor end bit and gives you a thinner extention to the tool so you can get to all the hard to get places easy :D i dont think its bad for £17.69

K

kyle2020

where did you get that rotary tool from? :eek: I paid £15 for mine and its a crappy little draper in a box haha.

pro-infinity

lol i got it from a place called boyes lol its alrite aswell ive been using it tonight :D your profile says your from nottingham and here is your nearest stores

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE

Kirkby
15 Lowmoor Road
Kirkby in Ashfield
Nottingham
NG17 7BE Tel: 01623 750448

Newark
Appleton Gate
Newark-on-Trent
Nottinghamshire
NG24 1JY
Tel: 01636 700972

duno if there near you but thats were to pick one up

K

kyle2020

Boyes is like 10 minutes away from me - is it decent quality like? If so, ill go and nab one tomorrow :rockout:

pro-infinity

A little update on what im up to at the moment.

well ive started to make a back cover for the screen because im almos 100% sure if i dont protect this touch screen at the back im gona break it lol because the front cover is off n on every 2seconds at the moment also ive been filling the top of the front cover and just gona wait for that to dry then sand it down ready to get sprayed anyway here are the pics so far of what ive done tonight

a bit of work still to be done on the front because behind the posh infinity front panel its looking a mess so now i have the rotary tool i have no excuse not to tidy it up

_jM

System Name The money pit v.2 (v.1 is the wife!)
Processor Core2Quad-Q9550@3.9ghz/1860mhzFSB @1.344v
Motherboard ASUS Maximus II Formula = best damn P45 OCer out there!
Cooling CoolerMster V8-- Custom WC system on the way! =]
Memory 8GB DOMINATORS @1100mhz 5-5-5-18
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 280
Storage 150GB WesternDigital Velociraptor OS Drive/1 WD 500AAKS for Storage
Display(s) SAMSUNG 2243SWX 22" LCD
Case Cooler Master Cosmos S w/custom lighting and cable management
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium (Fatality edition) - paired with RAZER Barracuda's
Power Supply CORSAIR HX1000W modular PSU
Software Windows 7 RC 7100--eats vista for breakfast lunch and dinner!
Benchmark Scores Coming to a theater near you!
Nice mod bro.. looks great! :) Welcome to TPU !

pro-infinity

In Need Of Help

Rite well ive bought that lcd display for the temperatures ect to Stealth the drive anyway ive got it fitted but my only problem now is how do i get the wires to go out and back in when the cd drive opens and closes without them catching ect.. ive had a few ideas but i would like to see what everyone else comes up with here are the pics so far

Thanks

K

kyle2020

maybe run them in drinking straws down either side? Kinda ghetto but it would work if the wires are thick enough not to bend?

pro-infinity

lol i kinda 4t of that but not with drinking strwas :laugh: like plastic pipes but still it dosnt really work :shadedshu the wires are going to catch all the time and its going to drive me mad so ive decided im going to make the lcd flip down with a push from the cd drive then flip back up when the cd tray goes back in

System Name VAN
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz LGA 775 95W @ 3.0GHz
Motherboard ASUS P5Q Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P45 Intel Motherboard
Cooling Thermaltake SpinQ VT, front-rear-side 120mm, top-bottom 80mm
Memory Crucial Ballistix Tracer 8GB(4x2GB), DDR2, 800 MHz, 4-4-4-12, 2.0V, w/ Red LEDs
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon HD 6770 1GB
Storage Samsung 850 PRO 256SSD (OS) - WD 640GB 7200 RPM (files) - Seagate 1TB 7200 (backup)
Display(s) DUAL 19" Samsung, LG LCDs
Case NZXT Lexa Blackline
Audio Device(s) Realtek Onboard
Power Supply OCZ 600 Stealth-X-Stream 600W RT
Mouse Cyborg R.A.T. 9
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Ultimate
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
Nice idea, I just read your thread so far this mod looks awesome! When I got half way down the thread I was like oh no hes geing to have broblems with the wires lol but flip-down is a better alternative either way, a nice simple spring machanism. Great job and Welcome To TPU!

I need to get back to my mod...:shadedshu

pro-infinity

Ok so ive now decided the flip down front is the way to go for the 5.25`` lcd so i got in from work today and got thinking how im going to make a hinge ect but then it came to me all i have to do is get out the dremel drill 2 holes in the side of the lcd frame n get 2 bits of plastic with holes in ect.. stick the plastic to the back of the infinity front cover and stick a bolt thru tighten that up and then the bit that sticks out after the bolt is fastend will go thru the side of the lcd frame and repeat that on the other side of the lcd and it will swing down :D anyway hope you understand what im on about lol here are the pics.

just got to sort the bit out to make it spring back up now :Dand get the dremel on the cd tray so it can pass over the wires once there in the lcd.also i got to add a bit of plastic over the back of the lcd so it dosnt get damaged when the cd tray slams into it to knock it down
hope you like this so far all comments appreciated
thanks

Last edited:
System Name Machine XV
Processor Dual Xeon E5 2670 V3 Turbo unlocked
Motherboard Kllisre X99 Dual
Cooling 120mm heatsink
Memory 64gb DDR4 ECC
Video Card(s) RX 480 4Gb
Storage 1Tb NVME SSD
Display(s) 19" + 23" + 17"
Case ATX
Audio Device(s) XFi xtreme USB
Power Supply 800W
Software Windows 10
i think your mods are brilliant so i have just bought the same case from ebuyer for my rig and i am going to build somthing similar to yours. i found a small 2.5" screen on ebay that will take up the 3.5" bay and the space below it where the buttons are.

i have been looking to build a small gaming machine and this case is perfect because you can use 2 full size graphics cards and an atx power supply and theres still enough space for a watercooling setup.
keep up the good work

my rig

Q8200 @ 3.1ghz 453mhz x 7
DFI LANPARTY DK P45-T2RS matx crossfire
4 x 1Gb ocz reaper 1150mhz DDR2
Gainward HD 4850 Golden Sample Edition 512MB

Last edited:

pro-infinity

Thanks :D decent motherboard cpu and ram is needed next and yea water cooling is summut i want to have ago at glad you like my work still along way to go with this project before i can say its complete but its all good fun :) the case is a good case to work with

:toast:

yum yum, nice mod. +1 for a UK chappy too. We need more people.. lol.

How much did you get that case for?

And i reckon you should turn the PSU around so the fan is facing upwards, might look better than a sheet of metal.

Sc1mitar

System Name LANBOX
Processor Core2Quad Q6600 G0 + Zalman CNPS7500 Blue LED
Motherboard Asus P5K-VM mATX
Cooling 2x 120mm, 2x80mm Coolermaster Blue LED
Memory 4GB OCZ DDR2-800 Platinum
Video Card(s) VisionTek HD4870 512mb GDDR5
Storage Maxtor 500GB+1TB Samsung External
Display(s) Acer x223w
Case Cooler Master Centurion 540 mATX
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer
Power Supply Ultra Modular 600W
Looks great man, i really dig the silver front, if i could make a suggestion tho.

i think you should stealth that 5.25" with a peice of the same material as the front, then have that flip down. I think it would look very clean and sexi.

jus a suggestion, keep up the great work man!