• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[PLOG] Mac G5 --> PC Conversion

So, I've started my summer project. Putting PC components inside of an Apple G5 case. This thread will be dedicated to documenting my progress as I move through this project.

Background
So I saw this Mac G5 in my school's 'Mac Lab' that wasn't connected to anything. I asked why that was and I found out that it was apparently broken. The idea to put a PC inside of the Mac case came from a joke between me and the head computer admin at my school. He said that it would be really funny to install XP on one of the Macs so when someone turned it on, it'd be Windows instead of Mac OS. Well, in order to install XP, you'd need a regular (x86) system in there... So wouldn't it be cool to put a regular computer in the Mac case? After a bit of searching, I found many other cases (pun lol :cool:) of this mod. So right before school let out, I asked if I could have it because it wasn't being used. Surprisingly, they gave it to me. Coincidentally, I'm going to be taking a self-study class on video editing next year. I wasn't really looking forward to video editing on a dual 2GHz G5 in the 'Mac Lab'. So then it hit me that I could use the computer from this mod at school for the class. So the primary usage of this computer would be video editing. And with that, I started researching and planning out this mod.

The Plan
So I had a few goals in this mod.
  • PC in a G5 case
  • Needs to be a 'Sleeper'
  • CHEAP
  • Quad Core
  • Watercooled
The first requirement is fairly obvious. The second requirement means that I don't want to touch the exterior of the case. So no external mods beyond what's necessary. As cool as a window would be, no external mods for this one. I want this computer to be mistaken for a regular Mac. And I don't really have a budget for this mod, but I'm paying for most of it, so the cheaper, the better. This computer definately needed a quad core CPU because I'm going to be editing video on it and video encoding is extremely parallel. I want to watercool this PC for two reasons. First, I had a pump and 240mm rad left over from when I watercooled my main computer and I wanted to reuse these parts. Second, for looks. It's gonna be a PC... in a Mac case... AND it's gonna be watercooled... yeah, it's gonna look good. :cool: So with that in mind, I came up with these parts. (and I already have them)
PSU|400W OCZ Fata1ty
Mobo|Gigabyte Ga-P35-DS3L
CPU|Xeon 3210 (B3 Q6600 with 8x multi)
RAM|2GB (2x1GB) Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800
Graphics|Asus 9600GS0
Storage|74GB Raptor
|1TB Hitachi
Optical|Stock Apple Superdrive
Watercooling |D-Tek Fuzion
|Danger Den CPX-Pro
|Black Ice GT Stealth 240
|Koolance 80mm Inline Res

So that's what's going inside. Now, how will everything go inside.

That's how I'm planning to fit everything in. I think the pic speaks for it self.

The Process
As I see it, this project can be broken into 4 major steps.
  1. Disassemble the Mac
  2. Get an ATX mobo mounted in the case
  3. Mount PSU, HDDs, and WC gear
  4. Reassemble
The hardest part from what I've seen (by far) will be step 2. That's where I have to do some major cutting and fitting. Outside of that I think it's fairly straightforward. But I'm sure they're be snags and things I forgot along the way.

So that's it for now. The disassembly post will be up soon. FEEDBACK/ADVICE/SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOMED!! I am probably in over my head on this mod. I welcome all input because it can only help the project. (unhelpful input is simply ignored. problem solved) There's lots more to come folks, stay tuned. :D

Last edited:
Ok, so I got most of the Mac G5 disassembled. I'll let the pictures do most of the talking. And captions refer to the pic above the caption. In other words, the caption is below the picture. (because that ALWAYS confuses me :laugh:)

The case from many different angles. Reallllly wide pic btw

What the case looks like on the inside. It has a plastic cover that serves as an airflow guide. That's seen in the second pic. The third pic is the case without the airflow guide. Note that my school had already taken most user serviceable parts. (RAM, HDD, Airport Extreme)

After about fifteen minutes, I've gotten the easy stuff out. Everything was smooth sailing....

....Until I got to this piece. This cover covers the CPU heatsinks. I could not figure out how to get it out. I mean I literally spent a few hours on two different days trying to get that damn piece out! And there is ZERO info about this anywhere on the internet. Nobody had ever taken apart the same Mac as I did and recorded it. Finally, I found my answer in a comment of a small blog. It pointed me to this plastic piece that secured the G5 cover to the case. (see second pic) The 3rd pic shows where the plastic piece is relative to the rest of the case. The fourth pic shows the cover finally off. Basically, the plastic piece needs to go to the other side of the metal. Instead of squeezing the plastic through the hole, I decided to just dremel the top of the plastic piece off. Then, the G5 cover easily slides to the right and comes off. AFAIK, this is only documented with pics right here.

Now you can see the large CPU heatsinks

Next was another tricky part. In order to remove the heatsinks, you need to loosen (not remove) 4 hex screws for each CPU (8 total) Three are at the corners of the heatsink and the fourth is the the hole that the heatsinks make. I used a 3/32 hex wrench, but that was a bit too small. (but it worked) A 7/64 hex wrench was too big. ($5 down the drain) I suspect the hex screw may be metric... Can't confirm. Getting the first 3 screws out was challenging. Getting the fourth screw out (the one between the heatsinks, was a BITCH!! :banghead: The allen wrench needs to be at around 6in long to get down there. I couldn't find one. (I dunno if they even make them) Then I tried using needle nose pliers and holding a regular 3/32 allen wrench down there. Umm. No. Then I finally found a really tiny screwdriver that was really long and had a fairly narrow handle. I had to bend the two heatsinks apart as far as they would go. (which isn't much, but every mm helps.) The screw driver didn't fit perfectly in the hex screw, but if I pressed down hard enough, I was able to get enough grip to loosen the screw. After it's loose, and the other 3 are out, you can remove one of the CPUs. Note that you only have to remove 1 hex screw in the middle of the heatsinks. After that, one CPU can come out, giving you access to the other 4th screw. And, I had to do some bending to get to the other screws too. I bent the metal piece that separates the CPUs from expansion cards towards the top of the case and I also bent the secondary heatsink on the CPU.

[
Apple packages CPUs and heatsinks together as one unit. So you pull the heatsink, the VRM and the CPU out at the same time. Kinda cool way of doing it. Those are pics of the bottom of the CPU/heatsink package. The secondary heatsink on the back of the main heatsink is dedicated to the VRM. Like a HR-09++++.

A few screws later, the motherboard was able to come out.

Then the PSU followed. The PSU was at the bottom of the case and is very interesting. First, it's pretty big. Secondly, it looks ATX, but I don't think it is. I have the wiring diagram somewhere. But anyway, it has a 25v rail. A rather large one too @ 5.2A (130W) My theroy is that this goes to Apple's modified AGP port. Basically it's an AGP port with another connector in the front. Apple graphics cards have/had a special DVI connector. I think the 25v line is passed to then through the graphics card via a modified DVI connection to the monitor. So I think that Apple displays that have that special modified DVI port can be powered from the computer. So in the end, it's one less cable. I think nearly all LCDs fit in the 130W envelope. Or at least in 2004 they may have. But that's just my theroy that I've put together from some readings. Pics of the special AGP and DVI port to come.

You don't see many shots of the back of the motherboard. Anyway, there's a large heatsink array on it that cools what I think is the Northbridge. Some other components also have heatsinks. And why have heatsinks on the back of a mobo? Apple actually has a good reason.... (I'm looking at you Gigabyte) At the top of the case, on the left side of the HDD cage, there is a blower-style fan. That fan actually takes air and blows it down the back of the motherbard. Very interesting, eh? Apple products are so well designed imo.

A shot of (just about) all of the Mac G5 internals.

So right now, all I have left to disassemble is the two fans and the hard drive cage at the top of the case. Hopefully I'll get to that tomorrow. Still more ahead. I'm just gettin started. :D

I have high res pics of everything if you want them. If you want a better pic or a pic of something I didn't show, let me know. I'll be glad to take more pics.

Last edited:
System Name HTPC||Lenovo IBM ThinkPad
Processor AMD Phenom II x4 965 stock 3.4GHz||Intel C2D T9300 @ 2.5GHz
Motherboard Zotac 890GX-ITX WiFi||Lenovo 8918CTO
Cooling Stock 3x 120's||Stock stuff
Memory 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 6-6-6-15||3GB DDR2
Video Card(s) Asus 3870x2||nVidia Quadro NVS 140M
Storage 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 1x 2TB WD EARX ||Hitachi 160GB 7200RPM
Display(s) Samsung T260HD||
Case SilverStone Grandia GD05||
Audio Device(s) on-board||on-board
Power Supply Cooler Master 450W||6-cell
Software Windows 7 Pro x64||Windows 7 Pro x64/Linux Mint x64
Wow. never thought you had to remove so much! Pretty balls mod you want to do!
/Subscribed
:toast:

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
I so wish I could get ahold of a junked G5 case to mod like this :( All our G5's are still quite happily chugging along though.

Should be able to re-use the HDD sliders, HDD, and CDROM. That way you can keep the sleek ejecting tray. Drivers are available for Apple keyboards with Eject buttons. Or you could manually eject from windows which is easy enough.

I thought about reusing the hdd cage, but I didn't for two reasons. First I'm missing the screws that the HDD needs in order to 'slide' in. They were on the original HDD, which I don't have. Second, I need somewhere to put the PSU where it'll get some airflow. I don't think it'll fit below the mobo, so the top is the only other feasable place. If I can find some of those screws for the hdd, I'll definately reuse the cage and mount it somewhere else.

Oh, I have something planned for the eject button. I was gonna make a thread about this eventually. I was thinking about having an infered LED and reciever (wrong word) on the front of the case. So basically, when the 'reciever' detects IR light it will act as the usual button. So when I put my hand in front of the case, it should open. But I dunno if that's possible or not. (I may have seen it somewhere, can't remember) But if that doesn't work out, doing it manually isn't that bad. I don't really use a CD drive that often anyway. I'm pretty sure I can reuse the stock keyboard. Good to know that there are drivers for it. However, the stock G5 mouse doesn't have a right click, which drives me insane. (HOW DO YOU CHECK THE PROPERTIES??) I'm thinking about a wired Mighty Mouse.

And I am pretty lucky to get such a case for free.

Thanks for the comments! :)

freaksavior

To infinity ... and beyond!
System Name ZeroUptime | M.A.S.S / MM1
Processor Xeon 2659 v3 / Xeon 2683 v4 / ARM A14
Motherboard Asus X99-E-10G WS / ASRock x99 usb 3.1 / Apple
Cooling NZXT Kraken / Noctua NH-L12 / Apple
Memory 16Gb DDR4 / 32Gb DDR4 / 16GB HBLM
Video Card(s) Powercooler ATI vega 64 / GT 7300 / ARM
Storage Samsung 970 512 Evo NVMe / A lot. / 256 + 512 External TB3
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 / Headless / Acer X34 Non predator
Case NZXT H630 |Rosewill 8bay 4u server chasiss / MMM1
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Onboard / Onboard
Power Supply Corais HX850 | Corsair TX750 / Internal 250w
Mouse g502 proteus core / Headless / g502 proteus core
Keyboard Corsair K95 Cherry Blue / Headless / K65 Cherry Red
Software Windows 10 / ESXI / Big Sur 11.2.2
NO!!!!! WHY WHY WHY?!?! Such a beautiful piece of hardware destroyed :(

ship me the stuff so i can put it to good use :(

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
I'm pretty sure I can reuse the stock keyboard. Good to know that there are drivers for it. However, the stock G5 mouse doesn't have a right click, which drives me insane. (HOW DO YOU CHECK THE PROPERTIES??) I'm thinking about a wired Mighty Mouse.

And I am pretty lucky to get such a case for free.

Thanks for the comments! :)

Stock apple keyboard driver can be extracted from the Boot Camp driver install exe.. It should expand them to the harddrive when you try to run it.

I think you got one of the unlucky G5 mice that wasn't a mighty mouse.. :p The Mighty mouse is outstanding. I ADORE my Bluetooth one.

If you have the clear body/plain white USB bus mouse, then it doesn't have a right. Apple users would ctrl+click for right click. Worked great until windows users decided to invade :roll:

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
subscribed... it looks like something lian li would make.

Youu could easily get a micro ATX in there with no mods... or just a cutout for the MB backplate - that way it would look stock :D

Duffman

System Name Black Knight
Processor Intel Xeon W3520 @4.2Ghz
Motherboard evga Classified 760
Cooling Prolimatech Mega Shadow with Dual Noctua NF-P12 fans
Memory 6GB Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 (3gb x 2) 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
Storage Corsair P128 SSD for OS, 4 Samsung 500GB in RAID10 For Storage
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster T240HD
Case Corsair Obsidian 800d Twin Zalman ZM-MFC Plus fan controllers
Audio Device(s) HT|OMEGA CLARO
Power Supply Antec Truepower 1000
Software Win7 64bit ultimate
Cool, can't wait to see how it comes out

umm, and why is there PVC piping running down your wall?

System Name Felix777
Processor Core i5-3570k@stock
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Rosewill CAPSTONE 450watt
Software Win 10 x64
apple cases do seem very well put together and solid, they also look kewl :). Those are the biggest heatsinks i've ever seen for a CPU, bigger than the megahalems i thk. keep us updated :toast:

distemper

From somebody who's modded a G5 case

A) I think a PSU will fit into the area you want, but you'll need to remove that metal separator plate. You'll need a T-8 Torx driver for that I think. Its a pain to remove.

B) You might want to consider a specially selected PSU. Your OCZ Fata1ty PSU will need to suck in air through a hole you will cut in the separator plate. So it will be sucking in air off a hot hard drive. You won't want the raptor in that area. Its easier if you pick a PSU with inline fan(s). For example the Antec Basiq BP430 430W doesn't require you to cut holes in that steel separator at all.

It was my spring project. This in a North Carolina summer takes a dedication that I just don't have.

NO!!!!! WHY WHY WHY?!?! Such a beautiful piece of hardware destroyed :(

ship me the stuff so i can put it to good use :(
Mac fans. :shadedshu
(JOKE)

Stock apple keyboard driver can be extracted from the Boot Camp driver install exe.. It should expand them to the harddrive when you try to run it.

I think you got one of the unlucky G5 mice that wasn't a mighty mouse.. :p The Mighty mouse is outstanding. I ADORE my Bluetooth one.

If you have the clear body/plain white USB bus mouse, then it doesn't have a right. Apple users would ctrl+click for right click. Worked great until windows users decided to invade :roll:
This is the kind of mouse that was used with the case. It's definitely not a Mighty Mouse. This is the keyboard that it came with. I'll likely reuse this. No need to replace something that works. (Even though the aluminum ones look soooo coool)

subscribed... it looks like something lian li would make.

Youu could easily get a micro ATX in there with no mods... or just a cutout for the MB backplate - that way it would look stock :D
I considered a mATX board, but I ruled it out for some reason. (can't remember >.< ) It may have been price. I need a board that can hold a 400MHz+ quad for cheap. I got the Gigabyte P35 board for ~$45. I don't know of any mATX boards that can do that at that price.

umm, and why is there PVC piping running down your wall?
That's another project of mine. It was originally designed to be a pneumatic cannon. Pics when I get home.
From somebody who's modded a G5 case

A) I think a PSU will fit into the area you want, but you'll need to remove that metal separator plate. You'll need a T-8 Torx driver for that I think. Its a pain to remove.

B) You might want to consider a specially selected PSU. Your OCZ Fata1ty PSU will need to suck in air through a hole you will cut in the separator plate. So it will be sucking in air off a hot hard drive. You won't want the raptor in that area. Its easier if you pick a PSU with inline fan(s). For example the Antec Basiq BP430 430W doesn't require you to cut holes in that steel separator at all.

It was my spring project. This in a North Carolina summer takes a dedication that I just don't have.
Very nice on your mod! I really like how you fit an ATX mobo in there with such little cutting of the rear panel. That's exactly like what I was looking for. May I ask how you mounted the motherboard? That's the part that I'm the most unsure about.

I picked that PSU purely on price. I got it for $35 shipped, new. At that price most units are generic, and I didn't want a generic PSU powering this rig. This PSU is actually half decent, and it was cheap, which was my goal. I thought about getting a PSU with fans in the front, but I couldn't turn down that deal on that OCZ. Because of this, I figured that I could just mod it to work. I had considered cutting off the unnecessary cables anyway. If I do that, then I might as well take it out of its housing and put a fan in front of it. Because it's in a tunnel, it should get enough airflow. Plus I'm only going to be running it around 50% tops.

One last question. Do the fans and hdd cage come out without removing the top separator?

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
/tag

looks impressive...

You could sell those parts, even if you don't know if they work, with damage and all for a fair amount on Ebay. If you get them sold, sell that motherboard, and get an mATX 'board that suits your needs for overclocking, there are plenty more mATX boards now that will satisfy you than there were a few years ago.
Good stuff though, I've seen people modding PowerMac G4 cases for PCs, I think the G5s are bigger, stronger, and better made, so you got a really good project case there.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
this was fun, just to watch a mac being taken apart :D

King Wookie

System Name Blackbox
Processor Intel i5 750 @ stock for now
Motherboard EVGA P55 LE
Cooling Corsair H50 with 2 x Zalman ZM-F3 push/pull
Memory 2 x 2g team extreem DDR3 2000
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 460 Top
Storage Seagate 500.12, Seagate 320.11
Display(s) BenQ FP222W - 22 inches
Case CM 590 with 5x various fans (Thermalright/Noctua)
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX620
Software XP home SP3
I remember my G4. What an amasing case to work on. Just one latch on the side cover and the side panel opened up with the mb on it.

This now reminds me I have a non working apple 17" monitor. I wonder if I could build a pc in it, complete with working lcd screen?

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I remember my G4. What an amasing case to work on. Just one latch on the side cover and the side panel opened up with the mb on it.

This now reminds me I have a non working apple 17" monitor. I wonder if I could build a pc in it, complete with working lcd screen?

just remember the #1 rule of such things.

"Pics or it didnt happen!"

King Wookie

System Name Blackbox
Processor Intel i5 750 @ stock for now
Motherboard EVGA P55 LE
Cooling Corsair H50 with 2 x Zalman ZM-F3 push/pull
Memory 2 x 2g team extreem DDR3 2000
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 460 Top
Storage Seagate 500.12, Seagate 320.11
Display(s) BenQ FP222W - 22 inches
Case CM 590 with 5x various fans (Thermalright/Noctua)
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX620
Software XP home SP3
Ya ya.

I'm not sure when I will get time to install my new Xig 1283. So something of that magnitude requires plenty of off time preceded by plenty of work to pay for everything.

But the seed has been planted.

distemper

May I ask how you mounted the motherboard?
The big giant open area of the case that sits above the stock G5 PSU to the upper drive separator plate isn't of sufficient height to accommodate an ATX motherboard. Essentially, my ATX motherboard sits right above the area of the PSU (by 3mm or so), but extends into that upper drive zone. I had to remove that separator plate and use a jigsaw to cut out a slot for the motherboard. There's a picture of the amount of intrusion into the zone.

I reused the existing G5 motherboard mounts. I broke all but one off (in the upper area where I placed a 120mm fan). They come off easily - pliers push to one side. No damage to the case. They come in 2 differing heights - I used the shorter ones, and ground down one of the taller ones to get the 9 ATX standoffs I needed.

In the 4 corners, I screwed the standoffs onto the motherboard and placed the motherboard loseley inside the case. I inserted a spare PCI card to line up with the extenior PCI slot cage and marked on the G5 case where the 5 motherboard mounts would go. Swapped the standoffs to get the other 4 corners.

I didn't even scuff the aluminum, just alcohol wiped clean & remarked the area again just to be sure. I mixed up a batch of JB Quick (the 5minute version of JB Weld) and epoxied on 5 standoffs into the case. Quickly, I placed the motherboard back inside the case, placed the PCI card in to align the MB to the rear openings and used a mechanical pencil to nudge the now-quickly curing standoffs into position under the MB screw holes. Repeated the process for the remaining 4 standoffs a few hours later. I didn't put weight on the standoffs for a few days while it fully cured.
-------------
One last question. Do the fans and hdd cage come out without removing the top separator?

No, you need to pull out that drive plate to extract the blower/fan assembly & the drive cage. Unless you want to break them in pieces... in which case the fan assembly looks like its thick plastic that will cause some anger management issues. For removal, there are guides here (I think).
-------
The funny thing is that you've got 3 fans in your concept drawing.

I've got 9. And I'm pissed that I can't wedge another 60mm fan in the upper area because of a nest of cables!

freaksavior

To infinity ... and beyond!
System Name ZeroUptime | M.A.S.S / MM1
Processor Xeon 2659 v3 / Xeon 2683 v4 / ARM A14
Motherboard Asus X99-E-10G WS / ASRock x99 usb 3.1 / Apple
Cooling NZXT Kraken / Noctua NH-L12 / Apple
Memory 16Gb DDR4 / 32Gb DDR4 / 16GB HBLM
Video Card(s) Powercooler ATI vega 64 / GT 7300 / ARM
Storage Samsung 970 512 Evo NVMe / A lot. / 256 + 512 External TB3
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 / Headless / Acer X34 Non predator
Case NZXT H630 |Rosewill 8bay 4u server chasiss / MMM1
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Onboard / Onboard
Power Supply Corais HX850 | Corsair TX750 / Internal 250w
Mouse g502 proteus core / Headless / g502 proteus core
Keyboard Corsair K95 Cherry Blue / Headless / K65 Cherry Red
Software Windows 10 / ESXI / Big Sur 11.2.2

DrPepper

The Doctor is in the house
System Name Rusky
Processor Intel Core i7 D0 3.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus P6T
Cooling Thermaltake Dark Knight
Memory 12GB Patriot Viper's 1866mhz 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) GTX470 1280MB
Storage OCZ Summit 60GB + Samsung 1TB + Samsung 2TB
Display(s) Sharp Aquos L32X20E 1920 x 1080
Case Silverstone Raven RV01
Power Supply Corsair 650 Watt
Software Windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 18064 http://img.techpowerup.org/090720/Capture002.jpg
Wow I was hoping that someone would do this so thank you very much :D

The big giant open area of the case that sits above the stock G5 PSU to the upper drive separator plate isn't of sufficient height to accommodate an ATX motherboard. Essentially, my ATX motherboard sits right above the area of the PSU (by 3mm or so), but extends into that upper drive zone. I had to remove that separator plate and use a jigsaw to cut out a slot for the motherboard. There's a picture of the amount of intrusion into the zone.

I reused the existing G5 motherboard mounts. I broke all but one off (in the upper area where I placed a 120mm fan). They come off easily - pliers push to one side. No damage to the case. They come in 2 differing heights - I used the shorter ones, and ground down one of the taller ones to get the 9 ATX standoffs I needed.

In the 4 corners, I screwed the standoffs onto the motherboard and placed the motherboard loseley inside the case. I inserted a spare PCI card to line up with the extenior PCI slot cage and marked on the G5 case where the 5 motherboard mounts would go. Swapped the standoffs to get the other 4 corners.

I didn't even scuff the aluminum, just alcohol wiped clean & remarked the area again just to be sure. I mixed up a batch of JB Quick (the 5minute version of JB Weld) and epoxied on 5 standoffs into the case. Quickly, I placed the motherboard back inside the case, placed the PCI card in to align the MB to the rear openings and used a mechanical pencil to nudge the now-quickly curing standoffs into position under the MB screw holes. Repeated the process for the remaining 4 standoffs a few hours later. I didn't put weight on the standoffs for a few days while it fully cured.
-------------

No, you need to pull out that drive plate to extract the blower/fan assembly & the drive cage. Unless you want to break them in pieces... in which case the fan assembly looks like its thick plastic that will cause some anger management issues. For removal, there are guides here (I think).
-------
The funny thing is that you've got 3 fans in your concept drawing.

I've got 9. And I'm pissed that I can't wedge another 60mm fan in the upper area because of a nest of cables!
Here's my delimma. I really didn't want to cut into that plate. I can't really come up with a better reason than 'I just don't want to because of the look'. But in order to preserve the back panel, the mobo NEEDS to line up with the stock expansion slots. If I don't cut the plate, I was thinking about getting a mobo tray and hacking out a good sized hole in the back. So it's either don't cut the separator thing and cut up the back panel or cut the seperator plate and have the back near stock condition.

It seems like a micro ATX mobo would solve this dilemma. But I did some (a little) searching and all I found was a P5K-VM for $55 shipped. I've seen some reports say they've run a Q6600 at 400*9 at 1.4xxxV, so that's good enough for me. But it's kinda expensive. I'd much rather keep what I have, but if it'll make things easier, I'd get another board.

And I've just realized that I've fogotten the rear fans in my diagram. (I'll update it in a sec) If I decide to cut the top seperator plate for the mobo, then I'm going to try to reuse the stock dual 80mm fans. If I end up significantly cutting the back of the case, then I'll use a single 120mm fan.

oh dont even get me started
(JOKE)
I can't tell if you're annoyed or not. I'm all in good fun here. :) I used to be really anti-Apple, but recently, I've been trying to be really objective and I actually kinda like Apple's stuff. Very nicely designed. Unfortunately, it's also very expensive. But I guess really nice things cost alot. I've even considered installing OSX on this computer. We'll see about that later.

You could sell those parts, even if you don't know if they work, with damage and all for a fair amount on Ebay. If you get them sold, sell that motherboard, and get an mATX 'board that suits your needs for overclocking, there are plenty more mATX boards now that will satisfy you than there were a few years ago.
Good stuff though, I've seen people modding PowerMac G4 cases for PCs, I think the G5s are bigger, stronger, and better made, so you got a really good project case there.

I've offered to give the parts back to the school to serve as replacement parts for the other G5's. I did this out of courtesy, after all, they gave me the case for free. I'm hoping they don't wont them, and then I can ebay them for some $$$.

Wow I was hoping that someone would do this so thank you very much :D
Np.

And just a side note, I'm really sick of buying tools that I'm only going to use once. I'm even more sick of buying tools that I'm only going to use once AND THEY TURN OUT TO BE THE WRONG SIZE!! :banghead: Anyone want some Torx screwdrivers? I've got a T30, T25, T20, T15, and T10. Used only long enough to figure out that they all don't work. How the hell am I supposed to recognize a T8 screw? (I got them before distemper posted the correct size)

Last edited:
Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
And just a side note, I'm really sick of buying tools that I'm only going to use once. I'm even more sick of buying tools that I'm only going to use once AND THEY TURN OUT TO BE THE WRONG SIZE!! :banghead: Anyone one some Torx screwdrivers? I've got a T30, T25, T20, T15, and T10. Used only long enough to figure out that they all don't work. How the hell am I supposed to recognize a T8 screw? (I got them before distemper posted the correct size)

why don't you rent tools? its so much cheaper. And they dont end up taking up all of your space.

edit nvm home depo doesnt rent normal tools... Ace does though... $6 a day for a drill.

Last edited:

The first pic is of Apple's AGP port with a special connector in front of it. You can also see the connector on the Apple graphics card, a FX5200 Ultra btw. Finally you can see one a regular DVI port next to Apple's modified port. The 25v @ 4A is what makes me think that the LCD is being powered by the computer.

Someone pointed out the PVC pipe in the corner of my pictures. It's an attempt at mimiking a T-Shirt cannon. But in the end, it's just a pneumatic cannon. I never got around to testing it at higher pressures. Video Linky.