• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[PLOG] Mac G5 --> PC Conversion

T

TechnicalFreak

Looks like a cool project (mod?). Nice "T-Shirt cannon" btw..

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
Anyone one some Torx screwdrivers? I've got a T30, T25, T20, T15, and T10. Used only long enough to figure out that they all don't work. How the hell am I supposed to recognize a T8 screw? (I got them before distemper posted the correct size)

I found a big all in one Torx tool that has like a t25 all the way down to a T8 at Meijer. PITA to find, yes. (Hex too)

A lot of computer "tool kits" come with torx of smaller sizes, a lot of things are common in computers, but not so common at hardware stores.

distemper

Here's my delimma. I really didn't want to cut into that plate. I can't really come up with a better reason than 'I just don't want to because of the look'. But in order to preserve the back panel, the mobo NEEDS to line up with the stock expansion slots. If I don't cut the plate, I was thinking about getting a mobo tray and hacking out a good sized hole in the back. So it's either don't cut the separator thing and cut up the back panel or cut the seperator plate and have the back near stock condition.

You don't have to resort to mATX, but its either:

• stick with your motherboard and do the tray, extensive epoxying and a huge cut in the rear. You'll wind up with a non-stock rear, but you'll probably gain a 120mm fan a little further off the MB than what you'll have with the stock look.

• get a MB tray and inset the tray say 3/4" behind the existing rear wall. You gain all 7 slots, you don't have to worry about the rear except cables entering a single voided PCI slot, and you don't even make a cut for the rear I/O ports, you just *shimmy* a cable through the existing opening and call it a day. This might be the MOST tempting: you don't knock off the existing G5 motherboard mounts: you screw the new tray onto those holes so that in the future you can completely undo the mod. And its probably the easiest requiring the fewest (more) tools.

• get a new motherboard with the perfect slot arrangement. You sacrifice the lower 3 slots, but you only have to make a cut for the I/O ports (and the PSU power cord).

And just a side note, I'm really sick of buying tools that I'm only going to use once. I'm even more sick of buying tools that I'm only going to use once AND THEY TURN OUT TO BE THE WRONG SIZE!! :banghead: Anyone want some Torx screwdrivers? I've got a T30, T25, T20, T15, and T10. Used only long enough to figure out that they all don't work. How the hell am I supposed to recognize a T8 screw? (I got them before distemper posted the correct size)

I got my T-8 bit from a little toolkit from Microcenter. Not too far from the little flat head screw drivers that I needed to get out micro-screws that held the rear fan assembly onto the back of the case. Since there are no Microcenters in NC, you could also try ebay.

$3.50: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290331808155

I got my T-8 bit from a little toolkit from Microcenter. Not too far from the little flat head screw drivers that I needed to get out micro-screws that held the rear fan assembly onto the back of the case. Since there are no Microcenters in NC, you could also try ebay.

$3.50: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290331808155
I found a T8 tool at Lowe's, but before you mentioned that it was T8, I had no clue on the size. I bought a set of 5 Torx screwdrivers hoping that the smallest (T10) would fit. The smallest didn't, so now I have 5 Torx screwdrivers...

And, as a side note, I think I'm going to replace all the images with thumbnails. Having the full image in the thread makes it cluttered. I want to be able to read the caption and see all the pics in a glance. The thumbnail will still link to a 800x600px image, but I have all the originals if anyone wants high res pics.

Ok, finally got everything out! :) Now it's time to get serious about how my new stuff is gonna go back in. I think I've decided on a design. It's the based on the design that distemper used. I will cut the top seperator so the motherboard can extend into the upper chamber. That way the only cut on the rear of the case will be for the I/O ports on the mobo.

I would like to reuse the hard drive cage, but I don't have enough screws. Using only 2 doesn't work as well as I would like. (the hdd is secure, but can wobble) I've checked ebay, but the cheapest I found is like $10. (Com'on. It's four tiny screws FFS. Should be like $2) So what I think I'm gonna do is ask if I can use some of the screws from another G5 at my school. They won't be upgrading those Macs anytime soon. I had a concern about the hard drive cage fitting in the same position with the mobo being up there and all. Well, they both fit, but the hdd cage will most likely require a custom mount. It just needs to come forward a few mm. I'll just drill some holes or something. I'm sure I can work it out.

So here's the new plan.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
Wow... i can tell that this will be one sweet rig. Didn't realize it was that big... (lol go ahead... thats what she said haw haw)

Needs a window :p.

p_o_s_pc

F@H&WCG addict
System Name el'lappy|Cruncher | Cruncher 2
Processor intel C2D T6400 | i7 3770k @4.2ghz | AII X2 220 @3.4ghz
Motherboard some Acer | Asus P8Z77-V Pro |Gigabyter GA-M61p-S3
Cooling dual 80mm cooling fan | WC'ing ) |cheapo
Memory 2x2gb ddr3 | 2x2gb Ripjaws 1600 |4x512mb D9s
Video Card(s) onboard | 60 1GB(hd7770 ) |8800GTS
Storage Momuntus xt 320gb |Kingston Hyper X 120gb SATA III|500gb WD
Display(s) 17in | 42" 1080P HD 3D TV
Case lappy case | CM HAF XB |none yet
Audio Device(s) onboard | onboard | onboard
Power Supply Dell brick w/ acer end end | Antec EW 650w |Antec SP 350w(upg.soon)
Software Windows 7 Ult. 64bit---->------->
Wow... i can tell that this will be one sweet rig. Didn't realize it was that big... (lol go ahead... thats what she said haw haw)

Needs a window :p.

the funny thing about that is thats what my GF said our first time :laugh: Is that a complement or insult :confused:(for real which one is it)

looks like it is coming along nice

Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
the funny thing about that is thats what my GF said our first time :laugh: Is that a complement or insult :confused:(for real which one is it)

looks like it is coming along nice

:shadedshu:laugh::wtf::laugh::roll:

That's when you say "OMG I was JUST thinking that same thing..."

p_o_s_pc

F@H&WCG addict
Power Supply Dell brick w/ acer end end | Antec EW 650w |Antec SP 350w(upg.soon)
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
I am so confused :confused: YGPM

lol... its a joke, she gives you a compliment and you tell her that she has a big vagina... be sure to tell her you were just kidding, or you might traumatize the girl lol.

It's alot funnier if you try not to think about it. at all.

PCpraiser100

System Name REBEL R1
Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard ASUS P6T
Cooling Stock
Memory 6GB OCZ GOLD TC LV Kit 1866MHz@1.65V 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) Two Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X Xfire'd and OC'd (920/1330)
Storage Seagate 7200.11 500GB 32MB
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D1 PCI Sound Card
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 500W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 16585 Performance Score on 3DMark Vantage
I hate macs, except 4 their cases and the EFI envoirnment. But really its like as if Apple makes fixing look hard with the internals since they put waaaaaaaaaaay too much pointless $h*t in their cases.

Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
I hate macs, except 4 their cases and the EFI envoirnment. But really its like as if Apple makes fixing look hard with the internals since they put waaaaaaaaaaay too much pointless $h*t in their cases.

not to mention the screws... they stop one step short of actually booby trapping the cases.

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
not to mention the screws... they stop one step short of actually booby trapping the cases.

I've never had any problems with screws in any mac I've serviced from the old Powermacs up to my Macbook Pro.

It's called having a "screwdriver" :roll:

Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
I've never had any problems with screws in any mac I've serviced from the old Powermacs up to my Macbook Pro.

if I send you my philips screwdriver kit you can take apart your macbook pro?

Last edited:

King Wookie

System Name Blackbox
Processor Intel i5 750 @ stock for now
Motherboard EVGA P55 LE
Cooling Corsair H50 with 2 x Zalman ZM-F3 push/pull
Memory 2 x 2g team extreem DDR3 2000
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 460 Top
Storage Seagate 500.12, Seagate 320.11
Display(s) BenQ FP222W - 22 inches
Case CM 590 with 5x various fans (Thermalright/Noctua)
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX620
Software XP home SP3

Ah yes. I must confess, I did try to open up my macbookpro to change the harddrive, but I was stumped after removing all the screws. You wouldn't know where to find a good guide to doing so?

It's the intel beast. Last gen case.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
i saw mention of a P5K-VM - I dont know about that board, but i had a P5E-VM HDMI - while the name and specs dont imply much difference, thats the OCing model of its series and what i used to have in my lan machine, it could do 430 FSB or so on my Q6600.

distemper

I don't have enough screws. Using only 2 doesn't work as well as I would like. (the hdd is secure, but can wobble) I've checked ebay, but the cheapest I found is like $10.

You can google for the roundest head 6-32 screw - pan, button, round head.

I myself wouldn't pay that price for screws - I'd solder on a dome of tin & file it to round it out. Maybe epoxy some Romex sheathing onto the head for gliding. I know that HomeDepot carries 6-32 slotted button head screws because its what I used on my hard drives.

You can google for the roundest head 6-32 screw - pan, button, round head.

I myself wouldn't pay that price for screws - I'd solder on a dome of tin & file it to round it out. Maybe epoxy some Romex sheathing onto the head for gliding. I know that HomeDepot carries 6-32 slotted button head screws because its what I used on my hard drives.
Yeah, no way I was gonna pay that. Good idea about screw alternatives. I'll see what Home Depot/Lowe's has.

Today's update very soon.

UPDATES!! :D

Ok, so first thing I did was get a HR-05 on the Northbridge. Bolts only.

Next I got the CPU in and mounted the Fuzion. The dark brown marks that you see on the CPU are actually there. I didn't lap it, I got it from Mike047. Even though they look like scratches, the surface feels smooth and is very flat. So, even though it doesn't look pretty, it (should) perform just like it should.

I realized that I don't have the stock Apple screws for the optical drive. Basically, the screws hang down and slide into place. Then you shut the little locks, securing it into place. Luckily, the optical drive conforms to standards. The 4 holes that are used for mounting are M3 threaded, the same thread as all optical drive screws. So I removed the locking mechanism, and hard mounted the drive with standard optical drive screws. Works just like it should, just minus the quick release.

Next, I played with the exact positioning of the mobo. I got an old X1300 and screwed it into the case and lined up the PCI-E connector with the PCI-E slot on the mobo. As you can see, standoffs will be necessary to raise the mobo up. And the third pic is a shot with everything in position.

So now I needed to cut the top seperator. So I measured it out, dremel'ed it, and sanded the edge.

Since everything was out of the case, I took the oppertunity to chean it up a bit. I got most of the dirt and stuff out. And Apple uses some really sticky goop stuff to keep some things in place. I tried Goo Gone and that didn't work... So I just got a razor and scraped it off. Surprisingly, the razor didn't scratch the case too badly.

Since, I cut a section out of that plate, the HDD cage would have to be moved forward. Otherwise it would stick off the back and hit the mobo. The stock cage filled up the complete upper chamber width-wise, so I needed to cut a section out.

New mounting holes also needed to be drilled. The drive cage uses 3 screws in a triangle shape. (rather than a square or something...) Now I realized something. I suck at drilling holes in the right place. I even cut my hand while doing so. There was only one hole in that sheet when I started...

After many tries, I finally got holes in the right place. And it works! Just like I wanted.

But when I put the seperator (with the optical and drive cage attached) back into the case, it didn't fit. Turns out I miscalculated a bit. The little levers hit the case. So I removed them. They don't have any purpose anyway, the drives are already secured to the cage.

And after today, I now have this: :rockout:

Now just some misc notes. First, I don't know how I will mount the PSU or pump. The PSU only has mounting holes on the rear. I need mounting holes on the top of the PSU. And I guess I need to drill through the bottom of the case too.

The pump could go on the floor of the case, but I odon't know if the tubing will be able to fit if it's that far down. I thought about making a little shelf for it. Pic 1 Pic 2 But I have no idea how I could make something like that. It looks simple enough though.

I was messing with the rear 80mm fans trying to figure out the pinout. both fans are wired together in a 6 pin connector. I hooked up a 9v battery up and tried different combinations until the fans supn. Well I tried several combinations, and nothing happened. Then I tried one more and there was this loud pop and a whisp of smoke came from the lower fan. Whoops.

I'm going to have to take the top panel back out at a later date to put in the 2 80mm fans that will go up there. I was thinking about polishing that seperator. I don't want a mirror finish, but I want something like a dull shine. Any ideas how to do that?

Thanks for reading! I'm gonna work on the motherboard's & radiator mounts next!

Last edited:
System Name Main / Home Media Serever
Processor Intel i5 2500k @ 4.75ghz / AMD AM3 5200+ x2
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty P67 Performance / Biostar 790GX
Cooling Xigmatek Dark Knight / XIGMATEK Apache
Memory 12gb of G.Skill Value Series DDR3 / 4x 1gb DDR2
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon 6870 1gb / Asus Radeon 5450 512mb
Storage 2x Samsung 830 64gb SSD Raid 0 & 750gb WD Blue HDD / OCZ Vertex II 80GB & 10TB of HDD Space
Display(s) 2x Acer 24" LED / Samsung 50" LED
Case Xigmatek Asgard II / APEX PC-389-C
Power Supply Rosewill 750w / Antec EArthwatts 380w
Software Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 / Ubuntu 14.04
Cool mod! Consider me subscribed. :p

distemper

Now just some misc notes. First, I don't know how I will mount the PSU or pump. The PSU only has mounting holes on the rear. I need mounting holes on the top of the PSU. And I guess I need to drill through the bottom of the case too.

The pump could go on the floor of the case, but I odon't know if the tubing will be able to fit if it's that far down. I thought about making a little shelf for it. Pic 1 Pic 2 But I have no idea how I could make something like that. It looks simple enough though.

I made a bracket that bends around the front of the PSU & gets screwed into new holes in the floor.

You could move your radiator down to the floor of the case. Extend a piece of plexi or flat stock or whatever to span from the upper lip or top of the radiator across the motherboard to the rear & wedge in between the bottom of the PCI bump-in & the rear fan grill assembly. You could put your pump/res on that span of material. If you are really careful with the sizing, you could wedge your radiator against the front of the case. and the span would be wedged between the lip & the hose connections.

Or screw in a piece of 90° bent flat stock, screw it into the drive plate separator and mount the res/pump on that hanging material.

p_o_s_pc

F@H&WCG addict
nice hand job(go ahead get it out i know what your thinking you pervs) I am talking about the cut in your hand btw

Last edited:
System Name HTPC||Lenovo IBM ThinkPad
Processor AMD Phenom II x4 965 stock 3.4GHz||Intel C2D T9300 @ 2.5GHz
Motherboard Zotac 890GX-ITX WiFi||Lenovo 8918CTO
Cooling Stock 3x 120's||Stock stuff
Memory 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 6-6-6-15||3GB DDR2
Video Card(s) Asus 3870x2||nVidia Quadro NVS 140M
Storage 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 1x 2TB WD EARX ||Hitachi 160GB 7200RPM
Display(s) Samsung T260HD||
Case SilverStone Grandia GD05||
Audio Device(s) on-board||on-board
Power Supply Cooler Master 450W||6-cell
Software Windows 7 Pro x64||Windows 7 Pro x64/Linux Mint x64
nice hand job(go ahead get it out i know what your thinking you pervs)

:laugh: I'm sorry, that comment just made me laugh even though I know what you mean.
And this build is coming a long very nicely! :cool:
Can't wait to see the finished product!

p_o_s_pc

F@H&WCG addict
:laugh: I'm sorry, that comment just made me laugh even though I know what you mean.
And this build is coming a long very nicely! :cool:
Can't wait to see the finished product!

i meant for it to be funny and have some seriousness

System Name Stealth 2 Duo Turbine
Processor Intel e6850 @ 3.8ghz
Motherboard Asus Striker Extreme
Cooling CoolerMaster V8 Modded With 2 white LED's & 100CFM fan
Memory OCZ DDR2 1066_ SLI Black-4GB
Video Card(s) 2xMSI 8800GT"s SLI
Storage <<HDD For OS>> 2x150GB_Western Digital Raptor_Raid 0. <<HDD For Storage>> 3 x 1TB
Display(s) ACER B273HU 27" LCD 2048x1152
Case Apex SuperCase_Custom 7 month Build
Audio Device(s) Striker Extreme Add-In Card HD-Audio
Power Supply EnerMax INFINITI 720watt
Software SE7VEN ULTIMATE 64bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark01=NTTA, 3Dmark06=NTTA 3Dmark_Vantage=NTTA, Core Temp v0.99.5=28C
looks like fun. maybe paint the inside black.