• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[PLOG] Mac G5 --> PC Conversion

Are there some pinions or gearwheels or whatever you call them missing? If you find out the problem you can salvage parts from some other drive to fix this one.

EDIT: Oh, this mod looks really good. Keep it up! :)
I found the problem with the optical drive. There's a small motor in the front that's responsible for ejecting the tray. Well the band that connected it to another gear(?) was missing. So the motor turned, fruitlessly. At first I tried to use Stretch Magic, but the knot got in the way. So after some thinking, I went to my small Lego stash. And I got a rubber band. Yes a Lego rubber band. (an official Lego part btw) Well, it fits and even better, IT WORKS! Legos FTMFW!! :rockout: Luckily this was an easy fix. Could've been much worse.

The rad brackets need a bit of tweaking before they'll fit. No work tomorrow, so I should be able to get some stuff done!

Radio Shack closed half hour ago, so I can't get the resistors I need for the IR thing. I'll be there first thing tomorrow though.

System Name Main / Home Media Serever
Processor Intel i5 2500k @ 4.75ghz / AMD AM3 5200+ x2
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty P67 Performance / Biostar 790GX
Cooling Xigmatek Dark Knight / XIGMATEK Apache
Memory 12gb of G.Skill Value Series DDR3 / 4x 1gb DDR2
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon 6870 1gb / Asus Radeon 5450 512mb
Storage 2x Samsung 830 64gb SSD Raid 0 & 750gb WD Blue HDD / OCZ Vertex II 80GB & 10TB of HDD Space
Display(s) 2x Acer 24" LED / Samsung 50" LED
Case Xigmatek Asgard II / APEX PC-389-C
Power Supply Rosewill 750w / Antec EArthwatts 380w
Software Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 / Ubuntu 14.04
Awesome! I had to replace a couple rubber bands in some Xboxs recently. Just ended up using some plumbing rubber bands. Cost like $0.75 for a two pack.

Processor AMD Phenom II 555BE unlocked X4 @3.8GHz
Motherboard GA-78LMT-S2P
Cooling Thermaltake Blue Orb + open case in cold room = low temps lol
Memory 8Gb DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) GTX580
Storage 64GB SSD Super Talent
Display(s) 22" Chimei, 17" Philips
Case POS!
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800W
Lol... when I read that first post about the drive issue I thought, "I bet there's a broken belt in there".. you can fix a lot of things with rubber bands.

When you say the resistance needs to be substantially over 48 ohms, how much is substantially? 75 ohms? 100? 1000?

I think 100 would be ok, but I'd go with 1000 to start with. You don't want any residual current going on so start high, if it doesn't work come down. (kind of guessing here, I want to try this myself)

I think what Ahhzz is trying to say is that the LED may not work if the voltage is too low, not that you would know because it's IRand you won't see it! You have to be careful to get the voltage in the right range to the LED. Too low, don't get over the bias voltage. Too high, fry it.

Then within that range tune the brightness so that your thing is sensitive enough to work but doesn't open the drive every time you move your head.

GREAT NEWS!! THE IR SWITCH WORKS!! Pics and vid when I get the wiring finalized!

Now for some tweaking. Right now I'm using the 1k ohm resistor and it's wired up just like the picture Cuzza provided near the bottom of page 3. Now the thing is that I have to hold the detector directly in front of the emittor in order to get the drive to open. If I lower the resistance, will that allow for less light to activate the switch?

Edit: I don't think the resistor makes any difference on how much light is needed to trip the switch. I changed to the 100 ohm resistor and got the same results. As long as it's above 64 ohms, I think it's ok. (maybe)

What is happening is that the IR LED is only bright at its tip. And the detector is oblivious to any IR light not at its tip. So the only way that this works is that the IR LED is facing the detector. There's about a 30 degree window where the detector can pick up the LED. Just a quick pic to illustrate:

The detector must be right in front of LED in order for it to work. It doesn't pick up anything off center. :( Maybe I need more IR light? Or maybe I need to modify the detector so it'll pick up stuff that's not directly in front of it? Any ideas? Thanks.

Last edited:
Motherboard GA-78LMT-S2P
Memory 8Gb DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) GTX580
Case POS!
yeah try lowering the resistance on the detector. then try upping the voltage on the emitter, it says 1.7V max so go to that.

Ok, I put a 22 ohm resistor on the emitter, giving the emitter 1.7v. The resistor in the detector circuit is 100 ohms. Everything seems more or less the same.

This is frustrating. I was really banking on the detector picking up the IR light reflected off of my hand. I was actually more concerned about it being too sensitive.

Last edited:
Motherboard GA-78LMT-S2P
Memory 8Gb DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) GTX580
Case POS!
hmmmmm.... you might have to build a more complicated circuit for the detector, with some transistors and such to amplify the effect

Since the detector is working in the switch modeit needs a certain amount of light to activate and it's not getting enough right now. but you need the switch effect but with a lower threshold. i'll think about it.

EDIT..

This is the one you want. It uses an NPN transistor. When the detector senses the light the voltage at the base of the transistor drops off, so it switches off and you get voltage to Vout.

I think that's how it works, never really understood transistors, mainly because I haven't tried since I was 10 years old messing about with my electronics kit (back then I had no idea)

Have to work on getting those resistances right though....

EDIT #2: Pretty sure that's wrong, don't use that circuit!

EDIT #3

Try this

Last edited:
Motherboard GA-78LMT-S2P
Memory 8Gb DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) GTX580
Case POS!
Nice work, good soldering. I need to get one of those soldering stations. And learn to solder properly. I suck.

Nice work, good soldering. I need to get one of those soldering stations. And learn to solder properly. I suck.

Oh I don't think I solder that well. Isn't there some technique that you're supposed to use? Like heat the component not the solder or something? Ah well.

The soldering station is definitely recommended for those who solder more than twice a year. Before I had to hold the iron in one hand, the component in another hand, and the solder in my other hand. Yeah.. that didn't work out too well. ;)

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
Very Sharp. Sorry Angel, for lack of reply, was extended AFK ;) Very impressed mate, may have to try playing with one of these myself now!!! I've got an extensive background in electronics, but haven't used it in years, and some of the possibilities rolling thru my head are wild heheh

Motherboard GA-78LMT-S2P
Memory 8Gb DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) GTX580
Case POS!
Just got around to watching the video.:toast:

if it is too sensitive just bump up that 500-ohm resistor

Very Sharp. Sorry Angel, for lack of reply, was extended AFK ;) Very impressed mate, may have to try playing with one of these myself now!!! I've got an extensive background in electronics, but haven't used it in years, and some of the possibilities rolling thru my head are wild heheh
Thanks! :)
Just got around to watching the video.:toast:

if it is too sensitive just bump up that 500-ohm resistor
Sorry for asking again, but by how much? I don't know how the resistance affects things. Will 50 ohms make a difference? 200 ohms?

And I'm having a problem getting the radiator brackets mounted. The res is mounted on the top chamber separator and the rad has to line up with the res. (The barbs of the rad and res will be about 1cm apart. Not much room for error) But right now the brackets are too large by less than 1cm total and they push up on the top separator plate, causing it to flex. Ideally, the top of the brackets (the short part) should be about a few mm lower than where it is now.

The problem is that making that change. I don't have any tools to make an exact bend in the aluminum. I just used pliers and the carpet for fulcrum. Bending the bracket back straight doesn't work. There's still a tiny bend that I can't get out. So now I'm stuck. I need to make a very fine adjustment in the bend of the bracket, but I don't know how to/can't get the bend how I want it. Any suggestions? :confused:

You can refer this post for pics of the bracket.

Motherboard GA-78LMT-S2P
Memory 8Gb DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) GTX580
Case POS!
i don't know what to suggest, but if you can't do it yourself, pay someone to do it.

as for the resistor, probably serious changes, i'd go to 1000-ohm, if that's too much come back down. trial and error. or get a pot and use that to vary the resistance, then swap it for what you need.

I'M GONNA REVIVE THIS THREAD! CLEAR!!

Whew, that was close. I almost let the thread die. Can't let that happen again!

First, I played with stock Apple fans again. I could make a thread dedicated to how those fans work... It's really weird. Ah well, I wired the fans up to 5v via Molex.
Details learned about Apple stock fans:
All the fans have 2 positive leads and won't work with just one. For example the 80mm fan in the top chamber has 4 leads, 12v, GND, RPM, 12v, in that order. Both 12v pins must be connected or the fan won't start. The only stock fans that I'm going to reuse are the rear 80mm ones. It too is wired weirdly. Both fans are already wired together, 4 wires from each fan, and 1 6 pin header. (some wires join) The setup is basically the same as the other fan, just two of em. Each fan has it's own 12v and RPM wire. The fans share their 2nd 12v wire and a Ground. After playing around, I've found out some things. First by unplugging the shared 12v line, you stop both fans. If you unplug one of the individual 12v lines only 1 fan stops. (depending on which wire you pull) Maybe this is used for some kind of fan control? Also, if you take the sticker off of the hub, there are only three exposed points on the fan's PCB. You can take voltage measurements from all three. I forgot what they are exactly, but they're all somewhere between 3V and 4v. Also, I noticed that the fans do not respond to voltage changes. I tried changing all the 12v lines to 5v. No (perceptable) change in rpm or noise. (I had to eye it) But I measured those 3 points again, and they were exactly the same! BUT they fluxuated a bit more slowly. At 12v the voltage would stay pretty constant, it would change by .01v every so often, but would jump right back pretty quickly. At 5v, The voltages were slower to change. This leads me to think that the fans have their own voltage regulation circuit built in and spin at a constant speed regardless of input voltage. But what use would that be? It would make sense for them to be controllable. I know all that info was a bit unnecessary, but I thought I'd document my findings, as this info is hard to come by on the net.

I also got some screws for the second HDD. It slides in and out of the HDD cage with ease.

I also got the PSU open and out of it's casing. I plan to mount the PSU PCB on the bottom of the case. (not directly on the bottom) However, ran into one snag. Part of the filtering stage is soldered right onto the power plug. Since the pics were taken, I've cut the main lines right above the PCB, so I could access the components on the plug without the PSU PCB attached. I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to handle the AC plug yet.

Most notably, I finally got the radiator mounted. It's not 100% perfect, but it's pretty damn close. It's in, which is progress to me. I had to get a friend to help me make the rad mounts because I don't have the right tools. With a drill press and a vice, making the mounts was easy. These are the 3rd pair I've made. These are made of steel (rather than Al) and I've polished them just like the top separator plate.

So everything is starting to come together! Now it's time to get the motherboard mounted. I'll be working on that next. Should be done in the next 2 days or so. Scratch that, it WILL be done in the next 2 days. :rockout: I need to get this done before school starts back. 10 days left. :cry:

Motherboard GA-78LMT-S2P
Memory 8Gb DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) GTX580
Case POS!
excellent. that is pretty strange with the fans though. maybe you already covered this but why are you taking the psu out of its case? does it not fit with the case on?

System Name Stealth 2 Duo Turbine
Processor Intel e6850 @ 3.8ghz
Motherboard Asus Striker Extreme
Cooling CoolerMaster V8 Modded With 2 white LED's & 100CFM fan
Memory OCZ DDR2 1066_ SLI Black-4GB
Video Card(s) 2xMSI 8800GT"s SLI
Storage <<HDD For OS>> 2x150GB_Western Digital Raptor_Raid 0. <<HDD For Storage>> 3 x 1TB
Display(s) ACER B273HU 27" LCD 2048x1152
Case Apex SuperCase_Custom 7 month Build
Audio Device(s) Striker Extreme Add-In Card HD-Audio
Power Supply EnerMax INFINITI 720watt
Software SE7VEN ULTIMATE 64bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark01=NTTA, 3Dmark06=NTTA 3Dmark_Vantage=NTTA, Core Temp v0.99.5=28C
nice res-rad setup,, looks awesome

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
yes... I was wondering what happened to this build... MOARH PICTURES!

excellent. that is pretty strange with the fans though. maybe you already covered this but why are you taking the psu out of its case? does it not fit with the case on?
Yes it does fit in there with the case on. However, I was going to cut unnecessary cables because there's no space for hiding excess cables. So since I was going to hack it up, I might as well take it out of the case... (bad reason, I know) But a better reason is that the mounting holes are on the 'back' (exhaust grill) of the PSU. I need the PSU to mount horizontally in the case in order to fit. (ie exhaust grill facing rear of case) There's literally nowhere to attach the PSU unless I made my own bracket. But seeing my previous attemps at brackets... yeah. I could just drill some holes in the bottom of the PSU cover and screw it to the bottom of the case, but if I go through all that effort, I might as well take it out and use the PSU PCB holes. Hopefully that made sense, kinda hard to explain without seeing it. If you saw it you'd understand.

But I still unsure about the filtering components on the AC plug. :confused:

yes... I was wondering what happened to this build... MOARH PICTURES!
As you wish :respect: :)laugh:)

So right now I'm letting the JB Weld dry under my mobo standoffs! :D First, I got my dremel and scuffed up the areas where the standoffs would go. Distemper said in post #20 that he(/she) didn't scuff the aluminum, but he(/she) was using 9 standoffs and I'm only using 6, so I need the strongest bond possible. Then I mounted 6 of the shorter standoffs onto my motherboard. I got the JB Weld and put a decent sized blob on each spot in the case and lined the graphics card up and placed the mobo attached to standoffs on the JB Weld. And I added to weights to give it better contact. Unfortunately, I can't tell how good of contact the standoffs are making with the JB Weld... So we'll find out tomorrow I guess. Tomorrow, I'm going to add some more JB Weld around and on top of the standoffs for added strength/security. Pic to illustrate:

p_o_s_pc

F@H&WCG addict
System Name el'lappy|Cruncher | Cruncher 2
Processor intel C2D T6400 | i7 3770k @4.2ghz | AII X2 220 @3.4ghz
Motherboard some Acer | Asus P8Z77-V Pro |Gigabyter GA-M61p-S3
Cooling dual 80mm cooling fan | WC'ing ) |cheapo
Memory 2x2gb ddr3 | 2x2gb Ripjaws 1600 |4x512mb D9s
Video Card(s) onboard | 60 1GB(hd7770 ) |8800GTS
Storage Momuntus xt 320gb |Kingston Hyper X 120gb SATA III|500gb WD
Display(s) 17in | 42" 1080P HD 3D TV
Case lappy case | CM HAF XB |none yet
Audio Device(s) onboard | onboard | onboard
Power Supply Dell brick w/ acer end end | Antec EW 650w |Antec SP 350w(upg.soon)
Software Windows 7 Ult. 64bit---->------->
what are the specs of the rig?

what are the specs of the rig?
PSU|400W OCZ Fata1ty
Mobo|Gigabyte Ga-P35-DS3L
CPU|Xeon 3210 (B3 Q6600 with 8x multi)
RAM|2GB (2x1GB) Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800
Graphics|Asus 9600GS0
Storage|74GB Raptor
|1TB Hitachi
Optical|Stock Apple Superdrive
Watercooling |D-Tek Fuzion
|Danger Den CPX-Pro
|Black Ice GT Stealth 240
|Koolance 80mm Inline Res

Oh, and thanks to all the people that complimented me. I'm sorry if I forget to respond to them, but I do read and appreciate them. :toast:

Last edited:
Motherboard GA-78LMT-S2P
Memory 8Gb DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) GTX580
Case POS!
i think i understand. you just be careful with those exposed circuits mate

Does anybody actually read post titles?

So the motherboard standoffs are JB Welded to the case! :rockout: Then I added some more JB Weld for added strength/security.

Next, I started working on the wires for the front panel connectors. So I cut all the wires I needed, stripped the ends off, and added a bit of solder to each end. I also took the black plastic connector holder thing off the front panel.

I ended up with all of this ^^

I was gonna go ahead and solder them to the front panel, but I think they should be sleeved. I think all the wires would look a little out of place without being sleeved. The problem is that if I order some, the earliest I'll have it is by Wednesday. And it's not worth overnighting it imo. Plus, I can't seem to find any anyway. Anyone know where I could get some? (local or online)

I was going through some spare parts, and I found a usb bluetooth adapter. Since I found it, I thought it could be useful. I had planned to put it right on the USB header. You can see the 4 extra wires. Problem is that solder won't stick to the gold contacts. :banghead: Anyone know how I can get that BT adapter connected? The casing was destroyed in order to get the PCB out.

Obviously this isn't gonna get finished before school. So expect slower updates from now on. :( That said, I'm in the finishing stages of the project, so there's not much serious stuff to do. Anyway, more pics.

I drilled holes for the PSU and got that mounted in the case. I also cut the stock I/O ports out of the case. It hurt to do because the case was flawless, but I had no choice.

Next, I focused on the PSU. I cut off the wires that I wouldn't be needing and wrapped thier ends in heatshrink so they don't short anything out. Then I shortened the 4pin ATX connector since it only needed to be like 2 inches. However, I really botched the soldering job up imo. I had to solder and unsolder all 4 connections about twice each. The first time the heatshirnk I used wasn't large enough to go over the soldered connection and the second time(s) I was rushing and forgot to put the heatshrink on before I soldered. :banghead: Idiot me. So hopefully all the connections turn out to be ok... they're gonna be carrying ~4-6A of current. Hopefully the resistance won't be to high. :confused:

Last, I had to cut the frame of the rear 80mm fans because it interfered with the I/O ports on the mobo. This was a miserable experience. Anyone who's cut plastic with a dremel knows my pain. Plastic does not cut... it melts.... :mad: Long story short, cutting plastic with a dremel is hell and will always come out very messy at best. Of course the type of plastic makes a difference... the thicker and denser, the worse. Of course, Apple uses the thickest and densest plastics ever. [/rant]

But, all in all, I'm making progress. Here are some shots with the mobo and PSU mounted. If I wanted to, I could just as easily throw in the HDDs, the optical, the rad, the res, and the pump. So just kinda imagine all that in the system.

Concern #1: PSU cooling. There will be 2 120mm fans in the front of the case and 2 80mm fans right next to the PSU. Do you think I need additional cooling? I was thinking about getting 2 more 80mm fans and putting them right in front of the PSU. But do you think I could get away without them? Need to now ASAP cus I'm ordering tomorrow morning. (thanks!)

Concern #2: USB bluetooth adapter. In my last post, I showed a USB bluetooth adapter that I had found. I'd like to use it because I've just found a wireless Mighty Mouse for $30. However, solder won't stick to the USB contacts on the adapter. The casing for the adapter has been destroyed. Is there any way to get that adapter wired up?

Still more to come. I promise.

Last edited: