• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X800 Pro VIVO mod 12P to 16P

Winni

I´ve tried it on my PCI-E Club3D X800 Pro ViVo with 5 bios versions.After flashing my pc shows that i have a X800 SE and still 12 pipes!!!!!!!!!!

mantaray

The method I discussed did in fact work, although it is recognised as a XTPE, but that is fine and the speeds are registered as 500.500
As far as PCIE cards are concerned , I believe they have laser cut the resistor s like the standard X800 Pro AGP, which makes the softmod unsuccessful.

Tek

I successfully unlocked my Sapphire X800 Pro Vivo to 16p using the ATi X800 Pro Vivo bios, but using the stock clock speed.

I tried to change the clock speed to 520/560 using atitool, but when i try to run the artifact test, my computer hangs and black screens.

At stock Pro Vivo speed, the card works fine with the extra 4 pipes enabled. So is it safe to say that the problem is voltage?

I have also tried other bios like the x800xt (500/500) and x800xt pe (520/560, 526/573), but all those bios made my computer hang and black screen during artifact test and games.

Btw, I have the Arctic Silencer 4, so I don't believe the tempurature is the problem.

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Tek said:
I successfully unlocked my Sapphire X800 Pro Vivo to 16p using the ATi X800 Pro Vivo bios, but using the stock clock speed.

I tried to change the clock speed to 520/560 using atitool, but when i try to run the artifact test, my computer hangs and black screens.

At stock Pro Vivo speed, the card works fine with the extra 4 pipes enabled. So is it safe to say that the problem is voltage?

I have also tried other bios like the x800xt (500/500) and x800xt pe (520/560, 526/573), but all those bios made my computer hang and black screen during artifact test and games.

Btw, I have the Arctic Silencer 4, so I don't believe the tempurature is the problem.

Tek ... most Pro VIVO can handle the XT speed of 500/500 ... but like I said before it's last in line to get a GPU so with the addition of the XT cranking out they are getting the bottom of the barrel in terms of waffers. Most Pro VIVO needed a volt mod to get to XT PE speeds... it may be needed to get you to XT speeds ... read the article here

Tek

Yeah, I have read the article in the past. I just want to eliminate some of the reasons as to why my card is locking up at speeds higher than stock.

So is it possible that the extra 4 pipes that I enabled are defective in any way? But then again, I am not shown any artifacts or any crashes with 16p and stock speed.

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Tek said:
Yeah, I have read the article in the past. I just want to eliminate some of the reasons as to why my card is locking up at speeds higher than stock.

So is it possible that the extra 4 pipes that I enabled are defective in any way? But then again, I am not shown any artifacts or any crashes with 16p and stock speed.

If you had a bad pixel pipe you'd know it .... still with the pipes enabled and at stock speeds it should have given you a nice bump ... it does sound like it needs mo juice ... did you try to replace your PSU? I think I saw that in several post back ...

Tek

I havent replace the PSU due to the fact that my dell case requires special PSU to make it to fit and the price for a 450W is around $150.

I don't want to rush into buying the PSU and find out that power is not the issue... Then I might as well just buy the X800XT PE from the beginning.

The pencil mod seems kind of complicated, don't want to break the card by doing it... Maybe I will just stick with the Pro bios for now until I am more familiar with the whole voltage procedure.

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Tek ... look at the bright side you did enable the 4 pipes ;) and it's better safe then sorry ... :)

mantaray

If it artifacts and not squares then it is memory related due to not enough volts or too much heat. have you made sure that you tightened your artic cooler tight,(first the core screws then the memory screws.
I have the same card and cooler and when i removed my cooler one memory chip was not even in contact, so i used a bit more Artic 5 on that chip and it was fine.
Squares all over the screen are from the core if some of you pipes are corrupt.
From what I have read there are very few cards that won't do 16 pipes and 500.500 especially Sapphire.

Last edited:

ventrix

Can people posting to this thread specify whether their card uses AGP or PCIE? There seems to be a difference in moddability.

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
mantaray said:
If it artifacts and not squares then it is memory related due to not enough volts or too much heat. have you made sure that you tightened your artic cooler tight,(first the core screws then the memory screws.
I have the same card and cooler and when i removed my cooler one memory chip was not even in contact, so i used a bit more Artic 5 on that chip and it was fine.
Squares all over the screen are from the core if some of you pipes are corrupt.
From what I have read there are very few cards that won't do 16 pipes and 500.500 especially Sapphire.

Good point Mantaray ...

pl4Gue

So here are my results from softmodding my Powercolor AGP xt800proViVo:

First of all, I would like to thank W1zzard, Urlyin and all the others for sharing their experience here.

I decided to get a Powercolor X800proViVo since on their site I have found tha memory specified to be Samsung GC16. I read in the specs for these GDDR3 modules that they can handle up to 600MHZ. Note that they also provide GC14 and GC12 :sabber: They would handle up to 700MHZ 8) ...

I also bought an ATI Silencer 4. My initial goal was to get up to XT PE Speeds.

I used ATI Tools to find Max Mem. The result wat quite nice. I got up to 570 MHz with the original bios.

Now it was time to flash (hum I couldn't wait, so I skipped the find Max Core, :/ ). After briefly scanning various benchmarks I guestimated between 10-25% performance increase just by unlocking the pipes. I flashed the Powercolor X800 XT bios.

I rebootet, clocks: 500/500, pps: 16 :)

However, the card is indicated as an "X800" so I miss the "XT" somehow.

Using this bios I can get (using ATItools MAxCore and MAxMem)
MaxCore: 510
MaxMem: 550
MaxTemp: 80c
... quite low numbers for 80c :confused:

One note about finding MaxCore and Max Mem: I realised its usefull to start finding MaxCore/Mem with ATItool AFTER you have heat'n up your card. Just run the 3D renderer for a few minutes ... If I dont, it seems that the clocks are increased too fast, while the card is not at its operating temperature. Once the operating temperature is reached, its probably to much OC'ed and it will not come down fast enough to find a good core/men clock. This resulted in various crashes in my case.

The Max temp was up to 80c (stock-cooler). I think this is quite much.

So here qare my questions:
Should I worry about the "X800" label?
Are my temperatures too high?
Could it me that I get lower temps and higher clocks with other bios'?
How should I proceed?

Last edited:

mantaray

As I said in my previous post make sure your cooler is on tight enough and is making good contact, mine never goes above 58*.
The Bios not saying XT is normal as it is alldue to the label in Bios(which is 4A4B -XTPE is 4A50)but if you chech the adapter tag you will see that it is a XT chip. The speed signifies an XT over Pro which is also in Bios.
I tried different Bioses but realised most are the same but stuck with the sapphire one although the Connect3D one seems good too.
There is a post that talks about the different bioses and different memmory timings which can affect temps.
First I would check the cooler and make sure it is tight enough and making good contact then try another bios, try running ATI Tray tools and adjust the fan speeds under the overclocking tab to make sure it runs at 100% when it gets over about 45*.
I think you will find the problem here somewhere.
Hope this helps not hinders

Last edited:

pl4Gue

mantaray said:
Ah OK, so "XT800" is normal, thx for that info.

I never took of the cooler (so far). Its still the stock cooler. So I wonder, if 80c is normal using a stock cooler? What is your MaxTemp? What cooling do u have?

I am sure I will bring down Temp, if I install the ATI Silencer Rev. 4.

But, until I didn't decide whether I voltmod, I wouldn't install the Silencer.

I override Fan Speed to 100% allways (default is 94% allways). Its getting a bit noisy. But as long as I am still wondering whether I should voltmod or so, I'll keep it at 100%.

mantaray

Sorry , I was under the impression that you had a Artic cooler already.
80* would be at the upper end of safe temp's( I believe they can go to 120* before any damage occurs: but I wouldn't like to try it) , but of course ll that heat is going back into your case whereas with the Artic cooler it is exited. Also cooler is better
When you flash to the new 16 pipe bios you automatically increase the heat generated as the GPU has to work harder -more heat. It is generally a good idea to upgrade the cooler after you flash for stability and also longevity.
I have have read that for every 10* increase in temperature there is a 10 -50% decrease in life of the the card, of course if you change cards anually or bi-anually -no big deal, but if you hang on to them for longer it is worth thinking about. The whole process from go to whoa takes 15-30 minutes and is really one of the simpler mods, if you can flash the card then you will have no problem(confidence wise).
My advice -change the cooler to a Artic Cooler 4 ( much quieter as well!)

pl4Gue

Yes thx, I will put on the Arctic Cooler. I have also checked the GPU voltage, to see if it makes sense to make a voltmod. It seems that Powercolor's X800 Pro ships with 1.38V whithout voltmod. So my conclusion is that voltmodding to 1.4 doesnt really make sense.

I testet a various temperatures with different bioses. Youre right 12->16ps makes lets say 7°. However, I checked also with open case. This gives a tremendious drop in Temp. Using the oldbios.bin (the bios my powercolor x800 pro was shipped with), I came up to 531MHz Core, MaxTemp@61°. Using the ATIX80016ps Pro-Bios I came came up to 526 MHz at 68°. Closing the case gives another ~ +9°.

Since the oldbios had the best results, I tried to be smart (lol). I though I'll use atiflash's feature that preserves some bios settings (especially the no of active pipes). So after I have flashed the ATI16PPs bios (with flashrom) I tried to use atiflash to flash my oldbio.bin. I expected that I would get back the original settings, but with 16 active pipes. However, atIflash says I have no grafic card installed, lol. Hum, nevermind .... I won't bother to try again, who knows what other bugs it has ^^.

So the conclusion is my card is ok. The case is not ok. Its an HP case rather new, not the real good stuff they used to produce before Carly Fiorina took over HP. Its a bit crappy I must say :D. I hate so say that (I worked at HP) but its true ... ^^

Last edited:

Mr. Pipi

hi,
first:i´m from germany and so i hope u excuse for my english.
well, i got a sapphire x 800 pro vivo and flashed my bios to different xt pe bios from diffrent producer like sapphire,connect 3d etc. benchmarks like aquamark 3 or 3d mark 05 work without problems but when starting far cry, in some levels i got a bluescreen or freeze.and when i check this problem with ati tool "scan for artifacts" there appears the first error after 0.0 sec. the bios i used was (lol) from sapphire.so i flashed my old bios again and checked for my max core and mem.it increased up to 530/570 and perhaps it would increas more and more if i didn´t stop the test.so i thougt that my x 800 could run stable with a xt pe bios and so i´ve checked out an other bios. i ´ve chosen the power colour xt pe bios.far cry runs now stable and there doesn´t appear a bluescreen yet. but when testing with ati tool "scan for artifacts" there still come errors, but now after 3.5 min. a little improvement. so i increased the fan speed up to 100%.
and then the error appears after 7.5 min.i have the ac ati silencer 4.
could anyone help me with my problem. i want the scan test run for infinity min without problems.
so what could i do without flashing a xt or pro bios, i want the best matching xt pe bios for my x 800.
so i ´d like to thank u for ur answers

shmidlab

Problems after flashing BIOS

I just got a sapphire x800 pro vivo card to replace my 9800 pro. I removed my 9800 pro from my mb and put the x800 in and started up. I loaded up ati tool and tested core and memory at xt speeds without any problems. I then flashed the bios to ATI x800xt pe. When I check the pipes in ati tool, I saw that it was now reporting 16 pipes, however when I started the scan for artifacts test, my computer froze immediately. I rebooted and decided to start up quake3 to see if it would have any problems, it froze immediately and I got an ATI GPU error after a few seconds. I flashed it back to x800 pro bios and have been running it for a couple of days without any problems. I just can't figure out why I can't do anything after flashing to xt. I tried the regular xt bios and had the same problem. I flash the xt pe bios again and underclocked the core and mem back to pro speeds. same lockup problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

pl4Gue

Mr. Pipi said:
hi,
first:i´m from germany and so i hope u excuse for my english.
well, i got a sapphire x 800 pro vivo and flashed my bios to different xt pe bios from diffrent producer like sapphire,connect 3d etc. benchmarks like aquamark 3 or 3d mark 05 work without problems but when starting far cry, in some levels i got a bluescreen or freeze.and when i check this problem with ati tool "scan for artifacts" there appears the first error after 0.0 sec. the bios i used was (lol) from sapphire.so i flashed my old bios again and checked for my max core and mem.it increased up to 530/570 and perhaps it would increas more and more if i didn´t stop the test.so i thougt that my x 800 could run stable with a xt pe bios and so i´ve checked out an other bios. i ´ve chosen the power colour xt pe bios.far cry runs now stable and there doesn´t appear a bluescreen yet. but when testing with ati tool "scan for artifacts" there still come errors, but now after 3.5 min. a little improvement. so i increased the fan speed up to 100%.
and then the error appears after 7.5 min.i have the ac ati silencer 4.
could anyone help me with my problem. i want the scan test run for infinity min without problems.
so what could i do without flashing a xt or pro bios, i want the best matching xt pe bios for my x 800.
so i ´d like to thank u for ur answers

The point is that max core with 12pps is different from maxcore with 16pps. The latter yields lower results on core. You might try X800 XT's Bios or the ATI X800 pro 16pps Bios.

pl4Gue

shmidlab said:
I just got a sapphire x800 pro vivo card to replace my 9800 pro. I removed my 9800 pro from my mb and put the x800 in and started up. I loaded up ati tool and tested core and memory at xt speeds without any problems. I then flashed the bios to ATI x800xt pe. When I check the pipes in ati tool, I saw that it was now reporting 16 pipes, however when I started the scan for artifacts test, my computer froze immediately. I rebooted and decided to start up quake3 to see if it would have any problems, it froze immediately and I got an ATI GPU error after a few seconds. I flashed it back to x800 pro bios and have been running it for a couple of days without any problems. I just can't figure out why I can't do anything after flashing to xt. I tried the regular xt bios and had the same problem. I flash the xt pe bios again and underclocked the core and mem back to pro speeds. same lockup problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

did u try the ATI's X800pro 16pps Bios?

**UPDATE**

I have put on the ATI Silencer Rev. 4. :) :eek: what a drop in temp !

Last edited:

shmidlab

I've tried about a dozen bios flashes. every time the same results. when I flash back to 12 pipes everything is fine. I've reinstalled my drivers and direct x.

KlouD

stange occurrences

hello i recently baught a Sapphire x800 pro vivo. I had already done alot of reading on this site about the different mods i can do to this card and was really enthusiastic about the pro vivo to xt pe mod and the pencil volt mods so i had an ok understanding of what i was getting into before i actualy did it. I first tested xt clock speeds thats was fine so i flashed a Sapphire xt pe bios and it worked... or so i thaught at least windows decected the card as a X800 XT PE (i was realy happy) then the drivers did there screen flashes like normal for the first time, only it did it once then it flashed black again and never came back. at this point i had not done the volt mod so i thought that could be the problem, I got everything i needed and proceeded with the volt mod, the voltages were were good but my problem stayed the same. Next i tried the ATI X800XT PE bios i got the same thing (im am using the softmod drivers). It was then i tried to install the drivers from vga mode, I did get to vga mode with 640x480 res and 8bit colour but the reinsalling didnt work either, so i went back to vga mode and tried to change the screen res and i got the black screen and reboot like before the first three times. what make this realy strange is xt pe speeds work fine its just when i flash the bios it goes crazy, am i missing something? any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
Processor AMD 5800x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Water Loop
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z neo
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4 NVMEs / SSDs
Display(s) 27" AOC AG271QX
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolve
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster AE-7
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750
Software Windows 10
I have some similar problems. When I flashed my vivo it seemed to work fine...untill I played games :(
I just used the modified flashrom and a X800XT PE 520/560 bios. The flash went great and windows showed it as the XT PE. I used Atitool and scaned for errors, got none. But then I ran 3dmark to see how it helped my score. There was the checkard board effect. At the bottem of my screen there was a block, then none, then block and so on. So then I played Quake 3 and same thing. I looked close at the blocks and they were made up of things that were part of the level. Say you stood at a wall, In the blocks you could see part of the wall on the other side. It was weird. But when I uninstalled the drivers and just used the windows based ones there were no blocks. It worked fine :eek: It was so weird. I tried some stuff like, different bios, turning the clocks down, but as soon as the ATI driver were on the drive the blocks came back :mad: I think I may have "defective" pipes, or maybe I just needed a volt mod. I currently have my card running at 540/560 and perfectly stable. The place I got my card form said that it is perfectly possible to do the mod on this card. But I don't know any more...I try to think that its way better then when I first had the card. But it bugs to know there is all that potential in the card but I get lol.

-Dan

bakasamaz

ATiTool Rebooting problem

Hi yall i recently bought a brand new His x800 Pro vivo. I have some questions regarding softmoding my card to XtPe.
When i got my card i softmod my card to x800 pro with 16p active(not xt pe) but when i oc'ed my card with atitool (520/560 xtpe stock speed) my computer rebooting it self. anyone could help me?
is my card not capable running at xt pe stock speed? i heard some ppl using the 523/573 xtpe bios and successfully softmod their card. can someone give me the link to this bios. I plan to flash xt pe bios and give it a try, but before that do i have to flash empty bios first?

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
bakasamaz said:
Hi yall i recently bought a brand new His x800 Pro vivo. I have some questions regarding softmoding my card to XtPe.
When i got my card i softmod my card to x800 pro with 16p active(not xt pe) but when i oc'ed my card with atitool (520/560 xtpe stock speed) my computer rebooting it self. anyone could help me?
is my card not capable running at xt pe stock speed? i heard some ppl using the 523/573 xtpe bios and successfully softmod their card. can someone give me the link to this bios. I plan to flash xt pe bios and give it a try, but before that do i have to flash empty bios first?

Bak ... alot of the Pro VIVO needed a vmod to get to PE speeds... try a 500/500 XT BIOS and oc from there.... no you don't need to flash the empty BIOS ...