• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus m4a78-e and gskill F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK...memory Timing and voltages???

jdetnerski

My current rig:
Asus M4A78-E Motherboard Bios v.1803
8Gb (4 x 2Gb) G-skill DDR2 F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
Phenom II x 4 955BE@3.2Ghz
Gigabyte GV-R489UD-1GD (ATI HD 4890)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

I am having great difficulty in running this memory stable at 1066Mhz, at 800Mhz its stable with no issues found in Memtest V4.0. Neither Asus or G-skill have been able to provide me with bios settings that provide stability; all resulted in a BSOD. I have uploaded screenshots of the AI Tweaker menu and the DRAM Timings menu that show the last settings applied that resulted in a BSOD. Any help would be appreciated because its quite annoying to have a system that is advertised as capable of a specific speed and not being able to achieve it.

Attachments

• AI Tweaker Menu .JPG
    AI Tweaker Menu .JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 753
  • DRAM Timing Cfg..jpg
    DRAM Timing Cfg..jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 765
System Name ASUS ROG Zephrus M15
Processor AMD Rhyzen 7 4800HS
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) Geforce RTX 2060
Storage 1TB
do looser timings work? or still BSOD?

jdetnerski

Original attempt

For the first attempt I just adjusted the DRAM speed to 1067 and the DRAM voltage to 2.0v and ended up with the BSOD. The settings in the screen shots are after about 10 or 12 attempts working from suggestions by both G-skill and Asus.. The last suggestion resulted in having to Flash the bios. It was suggested to me that adjusting the CPU/NB voltage could help.. Problem.. That has a range from 0.8-1.7v in 0.125 increments so without knowing what the average draw when set to "auto" is I don;t know where to start boosting the voltage.. No baseline.. no sure starting point.

jdetnerski

I have since given up running this memory at 1066Mhz. After numerous e-mails and one annoying telephone conversation with Asus tech support they still have no solution to the problem. Asus actually can't figure out what memory runs at what speeds because e-mail support claims it only runs in this configuration but phone support claims that it'll only run at 1066 in the 2 stick single channel configuration.

G-skill tech support has been nothing but helpful, they suggested numerous unsuccessful settings until they dug through there knowledge base and suggested running this memory at 800Mhz with 4,4,4,12 timings 2.0v and 2T command rate. These settings improved benchmark performance by about 10% (depending on the benchmark software)

So for anyone with this configuration that wants to boost performance without really OC'ing the system... Here yah go..