• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nvidia 9700M GTS causing crashes of Qosmio 305 Q701 laptop

kestrelco

This is driving me insane. I believe, after exhausting all the things I can think of, that the problem is with the card - not the screen, not external monitor, not drivers. (Please don't suggest uninstall/re-install, I've done that roughly 20 times)

Here's the detail..

I have a Qosmio 305 running Vista 64bit Home Premium.
I am using an external monitor. (HP w2207)
video card: Nvidia GeForce 9700M GTS
My driver is current. (195.62)

No configuration changes have occured since things were fine to when they weren't fine.
I play games on it - LOTRO and Aion primarily.
Game website reports no known issues with my laptop/video card/driver

Up until perhaps 3 months ago things worked perfectly, then one day the laptop 'crashed' when the screen suddenly went to a funky color with tiny squiggly lines/checkmarks all over it - no identifiable object at all. It can best be desccribed as a 'wallpaper' pattern. Once this happens - I can't see anything, and it doesn't resolve itself. I have to shut the laptop off, then restart - and things will be fine until the next time.

It shows this on the laptop display which then goes to black.
It shows this on the external display until the laptop display goes black, at which point my external monitor goes to sleep.

After observing this for a while, it happens *most* often when I change from the screen my game is in, to anything outside that screen.

Ie: I'm playing, and get a call on Skype, leave the game window to answer Skype - crash.
I'm playing and want to look something up on the web - leave the game window to open the browser - crash.
I'm playing, take a screenshot, leave the game window to open a graphics program - crash.

IN the game - it happens most often in combat - with all the attendant flashes, bangs, fireworks etc etc of video game combat.

The anomaly to the problem is that it has done the same thing *rarely* (less than 1% of the time) upon reboot from this 'crash' and when I'm doing nothing with the game at all.
It also does not crash *every* time I change windows while playing.

I only tonight discovered a program which reports problems - and have a lengthy list of 'hardware failure' connected with the video card, but I do not understand the error msg or the details in it.

I will provide a cut and paste of the error report screen:

Description
A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Files that help describe the problem
WD-20100128-2047.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

View a temporary copy of these files
Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a copy of the files could harm your computer.

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 117
BCP1: FFFFFA8004A064E0
BCP2: FFFFFA6002717230
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_0_6002
Service Pack: 2_0
Product: 768_1

Please... I hope one of you can help. I'm about to tear my hair out :(

ktr

Check the video card temperature. You should be able to get a reading with HWmonitor (http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php) or with GPUz. Make sure the video card ain't overheating. I know the Qosmio's have decent cooling.

Now seeing corrupted graphics is bad news. They are called artifacts, and usually are caused by defective video memory. Refer to this: http://www.playtool.com/pages/artifacts/artifacts.html

You can try underclocking or seeing if you can reduce the memory size.

Hopefully your laptop is within warranty.

kestrelco

Check the video card temperature. You should be able to get a reading with HWmonitor (http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php) or with GPUz. Make sure the video card ain't overheating. I know the Qosmio's have decent cooling.

Now seeing corrupted graphics is bad news. They are called artifacts, and usually are caused by defective video memory. Refer to this: http://www.playtool.com/pages/artifacts/artifacts.html

You can try underclocking or seeing if you can reduce the memory size.

Hopefully your laptop is within warranty.

Temp appears fine.
The second link has a picture of my problem - under the diagnose by screen shot link, my problem is the very first one, only instead of seeing *some* windows elements on top of that 'wallpaper' look - I see nothing but the wallpaper.

Laptop is no longer in warranty.

The text of that image seems to indicate I have a video ram problem... that means I need a new card, right? (Drivers sure haven't helped) I'm sort of afraid to try underclocking... what exactly is that? And does doing it mean the performance of my games will suffer?

thanks!

System Name Black Panther
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO Wifi 1.0
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
Memory 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX2080 Ti Dual 11GB DDR6
Storage Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD M.2 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Display(s) 32'' Gigabyte G32QC 2560x1440 165Hz
Case NZXT H710i Black
Audio Device(s) Razer Electra V2 & Z5500 Speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 Gold 80+
Mouse Some Corsair lost the box forgot the model
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
I'm sort of afraid to try underclocking... what exactly is that? And does doing it mean the performance of my games will suffer?

Your card has a core speed of 530Mhz and a memory speed of 800Mhz.
Underclocking means lowering any one or both of these speeds.
If done slightly it won't affect game performance much, but the more you underclock the more game performance might suffer.

I guess you can use Evga Precision to underclock your card.
Try underclocking the memory first, normally overheating of memory is what causes your type of problem.

System Name The Dove Box Rev 3.0
Processor i7 8700k @ 4.7GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus X APEX
Cooling Custom water loop
Memory 16GB 3600 MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) 2x MSI 780 Ti's in SLI
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 PCIe SSD, 4TB
Display(s) 27" Asus 144Hz
Case Enermax Fulmo GT
Audio Device(s) ON BOARD FTW
Power Supply Corsair 1200W
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Win 10 64x
Temp appears fine.
The second link has a picture of my problem - under the diagnose by screen shot link, my problem is the very first one, only instead of seeing *some* windows elements on top of that 'wallpaper' look - I see nothing but the wallpaper.

Laptop is no longer in warranty.

The text of that image seems to indicate I have a video ram problem... that means I need a new card, right? (Drivers sure haven't helped) I'm sort of afraid to try underclocking... what exactly is that? And does doing it mean the performance of my games will suffer?

thanks!

Yes, if you underclock your card you will start to reduce the preformance of your gaming. You may need to turn off AA or change your resolution to a lower setting.

Edit, what are the full specs on the laptop? Ram? Processor?

System Name Black Panther
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO Wifi 1.0
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
Memory 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX2080 Ti Dual 11GB DDR6
Storage Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD M.2 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Display(s) 32'' Gigabyte G32QC 2560x1440 165Hz
Case NZXT H710i Black
Audio Device(s) Razer Electra V2 & Z5500 Speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 Gold 80+
Mouse Some Corsair lost the box forgot the model
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
I'm guessing it's this one, quite a nice lappie actually with 4GB RAM, P7350 @ 2.0 GHz

kestrelco

I'm guessing it's this one, quite a nice lappie actually with 4GB RAM, P7350 @ 2.0 GHz

Yes, that's the one.

And I think I was a moron earlier when I said the temp was ok... When I started that EVGA program listed above, it shows the degrees in Celsius.. which I didn't realize. It hovers between 56 and 57C... which seems rather extreme as that converts to roughly 135F!! That can't possibly be right! What should it be??

My desktop bit the dust, my laptop is biting it.. and I am about ready to just say screw it and buy a new one :/ Am considering another Qosmio, though am understandably a bit skittish about them now. Laptop has been flawless to this point, and past Toshibas have as well. New one: http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/pdet.to?poid=460941

Qosmio X505-Q870 Laptop : Detailed Product Specs
Processor*
Intel® Core™ i7-720QM processor
Operating System*
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Memory*
4GB DDR3 1066MHz memory
Display Size*
18.4" widescreen
Display Type*
HD+ TruBrite® TFT LCD display
Display Resolution*
Supports 720p content, 1680x945 (HD+), 16:9 aspect ratio
Graphics Engine*
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTS 360M
Graphics Memory*
2298MB total: 1GB GDDR5 discrete memory + up to 1274MB shared memory w/NVIDIA® TurboCache™ technology
Hard Drive*
500GB HDD (7200rpm)
Secondary Hard Drive Size*
None Available
Optical Drives*
Blu-ray Disc™ ROM and DVD SuperMulti drive supporting 12 formats
Wireless LAN*
Wi-Fi® Wireless networking (802.11b/g/n)
Bluetooth
Bluetooth® V2.1 + EDR
Webcam
Webcam and microphone built into LCD bezel
FM Tuner with Antenna
No FM Tuner with Antenna
Inputs and Controls
CD/DVD Buttons (Play/Pause, Stop, Prev Track, Next Track), Mute button, TouchPad™ pointing device with multi touch control, Premium US LED backlit keyboard with 10-Key Pad (Black), TOSHIBA eco utility™ (Energy-saving mode), Media button
Security and Protection
Security Cable Lock Slot
Modem
No Modem port
LAN
10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN
Audio
harman/kardon® stereo speakers, Microphone jack (mono), Built-in microphone, S/P DIF output port (shared with headphone port), Headphone jack (stereo)
AC Adapter
180W (19V x 9.5A) 100-240V AC Adapter
Battery
High Capacity Li-Ion (8000mAh, 12-Cell)
PC Express Slot
1-ExpressCard™ Slot
USB Ports*
3-USB (2.0), 1-eSATA/USB (2.0) combo port with Sleep and Charge
iLINK
i.LINK™ IEEE-1394
Media
S/P DIF output port (shared with headphone port), Memory Card Reader
Regza Link
HDMI-CEC (Regza Link™)

ktr

And I think I was a moron earlier when I said the temp was ok... When I started that EVGA program listed above, it shows the degrees in Celsius.. which I didn't realize. It hovers between 56 and 57C... which seems rather extreme as that converts to roughly 135F!! That can't possibly be right! What should it be??

Actually, those temperatures are just fine. If it stays under 90C on load, you are okay.

akshatrathee

A Solution!

I have found a solution to the issue!! I was so glad! This tool works (it worked for me) and apparently works for loads of others too.

And i believe it works across all platforms too. I know he solved a friend's problem on ubuntu and my problem was on XP and Win7.

i do hope that I do not have this post deleted :) Toshiba is in the habit of deleting posts it doesent like (especially if there is a solution involved!)

This is not spam! Trust this :) check out the site *link to payware removed* for more details

Akshat

Last edited by a moderator:

temp02

Yeah, right... 15 bucks for a piece of software that promises to fix an hardware (design) fault.
Good luck with that.

[/sarcasm]

Some MOD should edit his/her post and remove the link. EDIT: Thanks W1zz.

Last edited by a moderator:

akshatrathee

It does work

well i can vouch personally for the fact that it works and i dont even know the guy!

He agreed to do the transaction over ebay (so that i had buyer protection). I took him up on it as such and it worked dude... i swear

I had spent close to 200 dollars on trying to get my qosmio fixed... these 15 bucks were the best spent... Toshiba techs had no idea but charged me for 'servicing' it each time.

People will do what they will. I just wanted to share

PS: To W1zz and temp02

I would like to respectfully but indignantly like to say your actions have been unfair. I do believe that what you did by editing the link was wrong. It does work, and i shared a resource which might help people. you removed a link because temp02 'believed' that this cant be done. Check it, and then do what you will. I am not spamming or soliciting or advertising anything!

Last edited:

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
Software cannot fix hardware issues, it only delays the inevitable

temp02

*snip*

People will do what they will. I just wanted to share

*snip*
I am not spamming or soliciting or advertising anything!

So share that so called program and profs that it work, instead of a link to some blog page asking for money. Since you claim you already payed for it you must have it, care enough to share?

*waits for reply bitching about copyright and why you should give money to some prick hiding behind a shady blog page*

EDIT: Actually, upon further analysis, you created that blog so yes you are advertising yourself, good luck nest time a**hole! adsense user id

Last edited: