• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer Problems (Powers up but doesn't boot up?)

Namslas90

You might be able to remove the two clips from mem slot 2,3 and snap them back into 0,1 to hold in memory.

pearye

Is that okay to do? They're a Twinx matched memory pair

And honestly I think it doesn't have anything to do with the secureness of the memory...it's been working fine for 6 months, and they're pretty snug now

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Processor Intel Core i9 11900K
Motherboard MSI Z590 Carbon EK X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Display(s) 43" LG NanoCell 4K 120Hz
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200w
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
Keyboard Asus Strix Claymore
yeah why not dual channel is yellows together,and blacks together ...shouldnt cause no problem

Namslas90

One stick of a matched pair is ok, two unmatched can slow you down.

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
i say your computer is tha devil!!!! Time to RMA motherboard

Namslas90

doesn't sound good. swap the sticks of memory try again with the other stick only.

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
CALL ASUS TECH SUPPORT..............time for an RMA

Namslas90

Well only thing left is to take it to the geek squad and learn from the mistakes. sounds like something bad has happened.

pearye

I guess I'll have to wait till Monday to do that. Darn, and I have an exam on Monday

Thanks for helping anyways, guys. Much appreciated.

syKo47

Hey I found your original post through google, as I'm going thru exactly the same problem. Last night i was blasting away in World of Warcraft, and this morning i come back to finish up a research paper and bam.. power led doesn't light up, monitor shows "no signal from pc", all fans and drives power up inside the case, gpu fan powers up, cpu fan powers up, etc. Everything seems to be working, but no bios screen or anything. Tried the CMOS reset, no use. Rebuilt basically the whole system, to no avail. I'm ready to call MSI tomorrow morning, hopefully they will give me a new one quickly. Let me know if you figure anything out in the meantime.

my system specs:
MSI K8N Diamond Plus Motherboard
AMD 4400+ X2
2x1gb Corsair pc3200 Dual Channel RAM
2x250gb 7200RPM WD HDD
BFG GeForce 7900GTX GPU
etc etc..

I'm glad i found someone sharing my problem tho, at least I know I didn't miss anything in my attempts to fix it. Cheers!

Carcenomy

System Name Project T - the computer I've never finished!
Processor Intel Core2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard ASUS Striker Extreme
Cooling Zalman 9500AM2 with 9500AT fan on CPU, Zalman VF1000 on both GPUs
Memory 4GB Corsair XMS2 Pro DDR2-800
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTS250 OC'd 1GB w/ stock Zalman VF1050 x2 in SLI
Storage A-Data S592 64GB SSD and 2x 320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA2 in RAID0
Display(s) ViewSonic VX2433wm
Case 1997 Macase SuperMid tower. Vertical hinge sides, custom mesh front, open air path, fan controller.
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Elite Pro PCI
Power Supply Silverstone Decathlon DA750
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Hasn't been benched.
For both of you with issues:
Have either of you considered a slightly dodgy power supply? My Pentium4 build many years ago went awry due to a faulty Hyena 400W PSU, the P4 12V rail was poked so it was ONLY when running with the actual P4 parts that it caused grief... it'd blow motherboards up.

As for the 'The computer needs a hard drive to boot' speech, that's a load of bollocks. The machine will run through its BIOS POST sequence and get to boot mode without one, and indeed some machines don't have one anyway (Amiga 500? PCs with solid state drives?).

syKo47

Well the thing is, everything in the box powers up without hesitation.. even my monsterous 7900gtx spins up. Sadly I don't have any psu's laying around so I can't swap and test it..

and to comment on that same speech... i let out a chuckle when i read it lol.

Carcenomy

System Name Project T - the computer I've never finished!
Processor Intel Core2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard ASUS Striker Extreme
Cooling Zalman 9500AM2 with 9500AT fan on CPU, Zalman VF1000 on both GPUs
Memory 4GB Corsair XMS2 Pro DDR2-800
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTS250 OC'd 1GB w/ stock Zalman VF1050 x2 in SLI
Storage A-Data S592 64GB SSD and 2x 320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA2 in RAID0
Display(s) ViewSonic VX2433wm
Case 1997 Macase SuperMid tower. Vertical hinge sides, custom mesh front, open air path, fan controller.
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Elite Pro PCI
Power Supply Silverstone Decathlon DA750
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Hasn't been benched.
If you can track one down, give it a go. I only found out mine was bad when motherboard number three (an EPoX) exploded the power supply rather than the other way around! Before that I'd systematically blown up an i845 SD board and an (at the time new) i845PE board... I was getting stressed until the weakpoint showed itself. But hey, you live and you learn.

HalfJoey

This is my first post, I found this forum through a Google search because Im having this same problem but my system specs are different. I wanted to do a cheap upgrade to get a new graphics card. My old motherboard didn't have a PCI-E on it so decided to get a new motherboard, then i had to get a new processor. I'm reusing an old stick of Ram Cosair 512 DDR 400.

My Specs:

Intel Pentium D 2.66GHz
Abit IP-95
BFG 7600GT OC

CORSAIR XMS 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400
PSU

I hook everything up, go to turn on my computer and the power goes on, HDD light movies, fans spin including graphics card fan, but my monitor wont come on and theres not beep. I notice the light on my keyboard flicks on every ten seconds like power is cycling every ten seconds. I couldn't imgine what it is. so i rebuild the computer, and even resit the processor while keeping my optical drives and HDD unplugged. still the same problem.

I decide to take out my graphics and sound card. Wala! everything works and boots up fine. I test more and it turns out everything i insert my graphics card the computer does that. Its not that it just wont turn on my monitor, i cant even get the on board VGA to work and the computer doesn't boot if i have the card in there.

I call BFG and answer their questions and tell them what is happening and they tell me its their card and issue and RMA. But im not 100% convince its their graphics card. But i'll do the RMA just to be sure if the problem happens again.

There is another off thing that is happening to both of you. My power light has never gone on with this new motherboard. I checked to make sure its in the jumpers correct and it is. Power button works just not the light anymore...

Another weird problem im having is a two slow beeps on start up. which is suppose to be a CMOS error that i think has someone thing to with my RAM but ill test that out right now. I haven't had any problems with that yet.

My worse case scenario is that I have to get a new motherboard and new kind of RAM to fit in it. (since i bought this motherboard because it could use my old RAM.) but i mixed it with a different model.

HalfJoey

One thing we have in common is that we are all using the 7xxx GT graphics cards. Two of us are BFG.

pearye

Joey, I think you might have multiple problems. We know its something to do with your graphics card, but if lights on your motherboard aren't working then it could also be your motherboard and possibly your RAM.

In any case, I fixed my problem, it was my motherboard. I kind of figured since the motherboard controls the power LED but I wasn't sure (and was hoping) it wasn't anything else. After I RMA'd my mobo and got another one from Newegg, everything works pretty fine now. Thanks guys.

HalfJoey

Sorry i forgot to post an update.

I got in my new graphics in and it fit in fine. everything works now. I believe the problem was in the manufacturing of the card itself. there was a little piece of plastic awkwardly sticking out preventing me from locking the card in its PCI-E slot. When i got this new card in the mail they had sawed that little piece off and it fit in perfect.

Thanks for your help guys.

meg

Yeah I reset the CMOS as per your instructions. I looked around on my mobo and I didn't see anything wrong, but I also don't exactly know if something's broken or not unless it's VERY OBVIOUSLY hanging loose or something like that. :p

Hello, I'm having a similar problem.
I've a MoBo ASUS M2N4-SLI and I'm using a single video card. When I power on the computer, the MoBo seems to work ok, but my monitor isnt recognizing anything.
The video card is in PCIe-16x slot (the blue one).
I try clearing the CMOS and nothing.

This is my computer description:
- MoBo: ASUS M2N4-SLI
- CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual-Core 4200+
- Video Card: ASUS en6200TC512
- Memory: 2 Kingston 512 KVR 800
- HDD: SATA WD 160

Does anybody know how can I make this work?
Thank you very much!!

Meg.-

HalfJoey

Have you tried plugging the monitor into the motherboard and seeing if it works.

As you've seen with my problem it was a matter that the card didn't fit into the PCI-E slot because a plastic piece was preventing it from going down all the way. Try removing the graphic card and putting back in, make sure it locks in with that little locking piece. So just make sure it fits in there snuggly.

If that doesn't work, check out your Bios and see if you have to enable the PCI-E slot. I'm sure most motherboard do it automatically now, but you never know.

Are yo sure the monitor works?

[edit]

Another follow up to my problem i should say is that I did have a corrupt stick of Ram. It was causing my computer to shut down at random times, slowly getting worse and worse. My computer still beeps twice on boot up after replacing the ram sticks. It doesn't really affect me, but i still think about it. :)

meg

Have you tried plugging the monitor into the motherboard and seeing if it works.

As you've seen with my problem it was a matter that the card didn't fit into the PCI-E slot because a plastic piece was preventing it from going down all the way. Try removing the graphic card and putting back in, make sure it locks in with that little locking piece. So just make sure it fits in there snuggly.

If that doesn't work, check out your Bios and see if you have to enable the PCI-E slot. I'm sure most motherboard do it automatically now, but you never know.

Are yo sure the monitor works?

[edit]

Another follow up to my problem i should say is that I did have a corrupt stick of Ram. It was causing my computer to shut down at random times, slowly getting worse and worse. My computer still beeps twice on boot up after replacing the ram sticks. It doesn't really affect me, but i still think about it. :)

Thanks HalfJoey! But it's still not working.. :(

I've checked my monitor with another computer and it's working OK.
I can't plug the monitor into the motherboard because this motherboard has no video card onboard.
And, finally, the card fits ok in PCI-E slot. I've removed and put it back but nothing changed.

HalfJoey

Is this computer a new build or did this problem just start happening all of a sudden?

Does your computer beep during post? what are the deeps like? If the computer doesn't even beep during start up it could be a number of other things.Let us know what it does. do the power and hard drive lights light up when you turn the computer on?

Does the fan spin on the graphics card? Does the graphics card need power from the power supply? Double check all the power connectors in the case just to be safe.

Is it possible for you to get another graphics card from another computer and try that out? maybe an AGP or normal PCI card? Maybe you can go to an electronics store like Fry's and get a cheap $5-10 PCI graphics card and see if that works.

I know its a lot to do, but im just trying to cover all the bases.