• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to revive a dead video card (128mb fx5200 inno3d)

Jbasin

Hi guys!

Hope you could help because my Inno3d video card (128mb fx5200) is DEAD. I WAS TRYING TO FLASH THE BIOS BUT THE LIGHTS SUDDENLY RUNS OUT THAT I HAVE NOT REPLACE THE BIOS THAT I ERASE. I FOLLOWED THE PROCEDURE IN RECOVERING THE BIOS BUT I CANT SAVE A NEW BIOS ON MY DEAD VIDEO CARD. I THINK I HAVE SEEN THAT HERE I USE A PCI VIDEO CARD TO REVIVE MY AGP 8X VIDEO CARD. BUT I WAS NOT ABLE TO SAVE A BIOS PLEASEEE SOMEONE HELP ME PLSSSS. :eek:

AMDCam

Processor AMD Opteron 148 at (hope) 3.0ghz
Motherboard MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum with Nforce 3 Ultra
Cooling XP-90C (CPU), A400 (Graphics), 8 case fans, 92mm Tornado
Memory 2gb OCZ Gold DDR500 dual-channel
Video Card(s) Leadtek 6800GT near UEE speed (448core/1.18memory)
Storage 2x 80gb WD 7,200rpm 8mb cache Caviar SATA 150 in RAID 0
Display(s) (2 soon) Samsung Syncmaster 172N 17" LCD
Case Atrix black case with A LOT of mods
Audio Device(s) Motherboard
Power Supply Aspire 520w tri-fan blue LEDs
Software Windows XP Home, Office 2003 Professional Edition
Well then download a BIOS for your card (they're all over the internet, people with your card save the BIOS to websites). I knew a really good website, but I can't remember now. I think someone here knows the one I'm talking about, it's got ATI and Nvidia BIOSes. So just download that to the floppy and there you go, it's recovered (when you follow the "restore original bios" thing). You might need to use another computer if yours isn't running with the PCI card though. Hope I can help

Jbasin

hey i have done already. the problem is that i cant save the new bios in my dead video card. i have use a pci in reviving my agp 8x video card and i have downloaded a bios for my video card. i was wondering why cant i save my new bios ??? i think my mistakes is in saving the bios in my dead video card. please help in this area. send me info. in step by step flashing the video card because i tried using the command in the review that i have read here.

AMDCam

Processor AMD Opteron 148 at (hope) 3.0ghz
Motherboard MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum with Nforce 3 Ultra
Cooling XP-90C (CPU), A400 (Graphics), 8 case fans, 92mm Tornado
Memory 2gb OCZ Gold DDR500 dual-channel
Video Card(s) Leadtek 6800GT near UEE speed (448core/1.18memory)
Storage 2x 80gb WD 7,200rpm 8mb cache Caviar SATA 150 in RAID 0
Display(s) (2 soon) Samsung Syncmaster 172N 17" LCD
Case Atrix black case with A LOT of mods
Audio Device(s) Motherboard
Power Supply Aspire 520w tri-fan blue LEDs
Software Windows XP Home, Office 2003 Professional Edition
Okay, then that means you can't see the screen if it's dead. So get a PCI graphics card, boot from that (if it doesn't boot, disconnect the AGP card so the computer knows which one to boot from), and then flash it using the instructions from the floppy. That's really the only way I can think of, unless you time it right and hit the right keys when the startup screens are popping up. So unless your card is literally dead and not getting power to it, it should be able to have the BIOS flashed again. Good luck with it man

By the way, if you don't have a PCI graphics card, if I were you I would just get an upgrade for the AGP card, like a 6200 or something, because a PCI card and AGP card in that price range are almost the same (about $50 to $80).

Processor X5470 @ 4.1
Motherboard Asus P5Q pro
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory 6GB corsair 1066
Video Card(s) HIS 6970
Display(s) 34" ultrawide
Case antec 700
Power Supply Corsiar 750 watt
Mouse Razer Taipan
Keyboard Razer Arctosa
Software Win 8.1 64 bit
I have a 9200 that has the same “problem”. The card is a leftover from upgrading so I was purposely flashing BIOS’s from other cards to see what the card would do. Anyway I found a bios that didn’t work (imagine that :rolleyes: ) and after rebooting the card is dead. The computer won’t even boot with it installed. If I remove it, boot with a pci card and reinstall I get a “device not found” error message when flashing. It sounds like jbasin is having the same problem. I’m not cryin’ over the thing so save the sarcasm. I just want to know if the card can be revived. I have a feeling I have tortured the thing for the last time but I would be nice to know if anybody had revived one with the same issue. It was nice having a card to tweak and push well beyond its limits that I didn’t care about. Yes the card was limited but tweakin’, moding, and over clocking it was more fun than gaming with it ever was. That’s what it’s all about anyway right? :D

cosmyco

Greatings to all...

Well, a week or so ago I had the same problem with my Radeon 9600 PRO trying to flash with a FireGL T2 Bios... The power didn't go off, but the bios was wrong size and the card refused to re-flash, despite the options on flashrom or atiflash commands... I was trying with a PCI card on, seeing what your typing really helps ! :D

But anyways, after giving up for a day or so (the PC was on with both cards, using PCI card thought), I tried again, this time booting from the floppy and executing the flash command FROM THE HD (C:), and voilá, it flashed ! Now I'm using my Radeon with a modified bios and my system (Debian) is seeing it as a FireGL T2, just how I wanted...

I don't know what really solved, if it was running the program from the HD or letting the AGP card as secundary on for a day or two, but it came to life again... I was getting errors like "Device not found" or "Serial ROM locked" before I suceded...

But since you were in the middle of the flash, maybe you'll have to zero your bios before you can flash another one, try this:

http://forum.techpowerup.com/printthread.php?t=188 (After "Performing the Mod" there are instructions)

BTW, if you give us some more info like programs you've tried, sintax of command, etc, maybe we can help you better...

Good luck !

Processor X5470 @ 4.1
Motherboard Asus P5Q pro
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory 6GB corsair 1066
Video Card(s) HIS 6970
Display(s) 34" ultrawide
Case antec 700
Mouse Razer Taipan
Keyboard Razer Arctosa
Software Win 8.1 64 bit
Hmm… I don’t know if that would have worked in my case. Now that you mention it though I should have tried erasing the bios first before performing an autopsy on my dead card. :eek: Oh well always wanted to know what the insied of a GPU looked like. ;)

Processor X5470 @ 4.1
Motherboard Asus P5Q pro
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory 6GB corsair 1066
Video Card(s) HIS 6970
Display(s) 34" ultrawide
Case antec 700
Mouse Razer Taipan
Keyboard Razer Arctosa
Software Win 8.1 64 bit
cosmyco said:
HAUahUhauhahau

Was there any beauty inside it ? :D

No rather disappointing, but then so was it’s performance.

cosmyco said:
I tried again, this time booting from the floppy and executing the flash command FROM THE HD (C, and voilá, it flashed !
What exactly do you mean from the hard drive and what utility did you use? I’d like to try it. Thanks

cosmyco

What I mean is:

1 - Boot from floppy

2 - Wait :laugh:

3 - From the prompt, type C: and go to a folder that has the program you'd like to run (Flashrom, atiflash, etc...)

4 - run the program as you would from the floppy...

That's it !

Processor X5470 @ 4.1
Motherboard Asus P5Q pro
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory 6GB corsair 1066
Video Card(s) HIS 6970
Display(s) 34" ultrawide
Case antec 700
Mouse Razer Taipan
Keyboard Razer Arctosa
Software Win 8.1 64 bit
Anybody have or know of a VGA bios flash utility for ATI cards that is used in windows? I am trying to flash a dead card but both atiflash & flashrom only tell me device not found. I can see the card in the device manager when it’s installed so maybe a windows flash utility may work. Gigabyte has the @VGA utility but I can’t find a copy anywhere. Maybe someone has a similar utility they know of that may work? I have not given up yet on the hope that my card my live to be tortured another day.

Last edited:
Processor X5470 @ 4.1
Motherboard Asus P5Q pro
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory 6GB corsair 1066
Video Card(s) HIS 6970
Display(s) 34" ultrawide
Case antec 700
Mouse Razer Taipan
Keyboard Razer Arctosa
Software Win 8.1 64 bit
I tried winflash but it only finds the pci card. I'm sure that if I try flashing I'll end up with two dead cards. If I take out the pci card the system won’t boot. :mad: I still wont give up on it yet though. I can see the card with the device manager and ATI tool so there may still be hope. I wonder if I can hot swap it like you do with motherboard bios chips and then flash? While in windows I removed the PCI card and reinstalled it. There were no problems with the display coming back up and I didn't damage the card. It may not be the safest method of flashing but if it works then I have found a work around to fix dead cards. :toast: The only problem is I don't have another card like it and at the very least given the nature of winflash that will be necessary, not to mention windows will probably freak out swapping two different cards. I’ll have to look around to see if somebody has a card I can borrow for this experiment. Although it’s an interesting theory it’s definitely not worth buying another card over.

Processor X5470 @ 4.1
Motherboard Asus P5Q pro
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory 6GB corsair 1066
Video Card(s) HIS 6970
Display(s) 34" ultrawide
Case antec 700
Mouse Razer Taipan
Keyboard Razer Arctosa
Software Win 8.1 64 bit
Tried 'em all. :banghead:

Processor X5470 @ 4.1
Motherboard Asus P5Q pro
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory 6GB corsair 1066
Video Card(s) HIS 6970
Display(s) 34" ultrawide
Case antec 700
Mouse Razer Taipan
Keyboard Razer Arctosa
Software Win 8.1 64 bit
Success! The latest version of winflash here: http://www.techpowerup.com/bios/ did it! If you have a dead card from a bios flash try it.:D The card has memory issues now so I still need to do some tweaking but it works none the less. I have a word of advice from a lesion learned though. When flashing a dead card and using a pci card for your display, back up its bios too!:banghead: I flashed and killed my pci card too along the way. :twitch: Thankfully a dead pci card is easy to reflash provided you have the bios to do it. BTW pci bios files aren’t easy to come by. My card was very selective and it took a lot of searching to find the ONE that worked.
My 9200 lives to be tortured another day!!! Muhhahahaha Muhhahahaha ...

lamarfearon

you didnt tell how to use win flash

I have the same prob with my x700pro 256MB but right now i am using a pci card since its not working, the prob is that i have a dead screen/garble screen an i would like to know how i can fix it by using the same method, i dont know how to use winflash and anytime i try opening winflash my system freezes up

Abit fatal1ty an8
Amd 64 939 3200 V E3
512 MB ddr 466 pqi
500W aspire power supply
cooler master wave master (blue)