• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Lanfest memory owners look here

System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
Memory 40gb of DDR 4 2700
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon 500
Storage Fusion Drive 1 TB
Display(s) 27 Inch IMac late 2017
I have 4 gig of Crucial Ballistix ram Lanfest edition and the ram seemed very good at first , however, two thing, first one stick of ram went bad and now a second stick has gone bad a rma is in progress , but what I noticed now is the ram chips, where the leds are lit, are burning my ram slots slightly leaving burn marks. Check and see if yours are doing the same I have a spot cooler over my ram and it is still doing it. It could be my motherboard it has been acting goofy with bios corruptions and usb devices shutting off,( but that can also be a ram issue) and my on board lan stopped working. I noticed once I removed the bad ram these problems went away excluding the lan problem. I'm not sure if it is the ram causing motherboard errors or a combo of a goofy motherboard and bad ram. However, check you ram slots and see if you also have slight burn marks. They are most noticable when the ram is lit. P.S. the highest I ever ran my ram for daily use was 2.2v so it is not a voltage issue. Mem test passes two sticks of ram, the second two stick won't boot at all. Also I'm wondering Gigabytes new bios F9 which when used causes error in my memory might have killed one kit of my ram. This was a new bios designed to accept the yorkfield. I found as soon as I switched back to F8 the ram error went away in mem test in my good set of ram sticks. One kit still remains bad. This is strange strange. Anyway check your ram slots for burn marks.

Last edited:

Hawk1

Processor E6600@3.6Ghz (8x450)
Motherboard Commando
Cooling TRUE
Memory 2GB Ballistix Tracers @900 4-4-4-12
Video Card(s) ATI X1950XTX w/TR HR-03
Storage 2 x WD250GB (RAID0) 1x WD150GB Raptor 1x500GB external
Display(s) Dell 24" Ultrasharp
Case TT Armour
Audio Device(s) Xfi xtreme Gamer (X-230s/HD595s)
Power Supply TT 750W modular
Software xp pro SP2/Vista Ultimate 32
Don't have the Lanfest, but I do have 2x1GB of the regular Tracers (installed for about 5-6 weeks). I'll have a look and see if any issues.

Edit: No issues on my board (and I've had them up to 2.25v - also with spotcool). Could be different (ie hotter) LED's on the lanfest.

System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
Don't have the Lanfest, but I do have 2x1GB of the regular Tracers (installed for about 5-6 weeks). I'll have a look and see if any issues.

Edit: No issues on my board (and I've had them up to 2.25v - also with spotcool). Could be different (ie hotter) LED's on the lanfest.

might be

Processor AMD FX 8320 @ 4GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 rev1
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 4 x 4GB DDR3 Ripjawz 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vapor-X AMD R9 280X
Storage 1 x 500GB Samsung Evo 850, 1 x 500GB Vrap Data Drive, 3 x 2TB Seagate, 1 x 1TB Samsung F1
Display(s) 3 x DGM IPS-2402WDH
Case Coolermaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Coolermaster 1000W Silent Pro M
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

IIRC the Lanfest LEDs are on the bottom of the RAM, the Tracers are on the top. That's the difference.

Hawk1

Processor E6600@3.6Ghz (8x450)
Motherboard Commando
Cooling TRUE
Memory 2GB Ballistix Tracers @900 4-4-4-12
Video Card(s) ATI X1950XTX w/TR HR-03
Storage 2 x WD250GB (RAID0) 1x WD150GB Raptor 1x500GB external
Display(s) Dell 24" Ultrasharp
Case TT Armour
Audio Device(s) Xfi xtreme Gamer (X-230s/HD595s)
Power Supply TT 750W modular
Software xp pro SP2/Vista Ultimate 32
IIRC the Lanfest LEDs are on the bottom of the RAM, the Tracers are on the top. That's the difference.

Regular tracers have LED's on the bottom also;):toast:

What is Ballistix Tracer memory? Ballistix Tracer memory is specifically built for performance enthusiasts and case modders who want to push the performance envelope while adding flash appeal to their boxes. The Ballistix line of high-performance memory modules features advanced speed grades, low latencies, and integrated aluminum heat spreaders. Ballistix Tracer memory features a black PCB, black integrated heat spreaders, and one or two rows of eight "chasing" red and green LEDs atop the module, circulating in a random pattern based on memory utilization. A custom-designed circuit relays bus activity to the LEDs, allowing them to accurately reflect usage of each memory module. In addition, eight blue ground effects LEDs emit a constant glow near the pins.

Processor AMD FX 8320 @ 4GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 rev1
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 4 x 4GB DDR3 Ripjawz 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vapor-X AMD R9 280X
Storage 1 x 500GB Samsung Evo 850, 1 x 500GB Vrap Data Drive, 3 x 2TB Seagate, 1 x 1TB Samsung F1
Display(s) 3 x DGM IPS-2402WDH
Case Coolermaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Coolermaster 1000W Silent Pro M
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Regular tracers have LED's on the bottom also;):toast:

What is Ballistix Tracer memory? Ballistix Tracer memory is specifically built for performance enthusiasts and case modders who want to push the performance envelope while adding flash appeal to their boxes. The Ballistix line of high-performance memory modules features advanced speed grades, low latencies, and integrated aluminum heat spreaders. Ballistix Tracer memory features a black PCB, black integrated heat spreaders, and one or two rows of eight "chasing" red and green LEDs atop the module, circulating in a random pattern based on memory utilization. A custom-designed circuit relays bus activity to the LEDs, allowing them to accurately reflect usage of each memory module. In addition, eight blue ground effects LEDs emit a constant glow near the pins.

Hahah, oops. I honestly thought only the Lanfest had those, oh well silly me.

System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
still it is very strange that the ram got that hot. My ram was running at ddr 1100 when it died but was only using 2.2v and wasn't erroring at all. First one stick last week, then another this week, it seems to me it has to do with bios f9 because when I used it my ram was stable but would error in memtest. There are other people with similar report but they seemed to indecate it was just the bios and memtest not getting along. I ,however , wonder if that bios didn't kill the ram, but if you go on that therory then why didn't it kill all 4 sticks. I'm now using F7 with my two working sticks of ram and am totally stable again. The two bad stick ,however, when placed in the board won't allow it to boot at all and are dead. When I went to check on this ram problem is when I noticed the burn marks. If I touch this ram during operatuion it is hot as heck, but i thought that was normal. Also I do have a 250mm fan blowing on my motherboard. her is another crazy thing my lan died right after a prime run testing my cpu with a new cooler and I wonder could that have killed my lan, it shouldn't have but it lights but is not identified by windows. Hey Wizard if your in can you chime in on this