• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hackintoshes, Oh no...not another G5 case replica!

spuddly2003

G5/Mac Pro "built-from-scratch" case mod. I'm thinking along the lines of "what could have happened if Apple had decided to design a Mac Pro/XServe server...but in a server-tower design case?" I have just bought an old ATX server case on ebay...purely for it's chassis to provide some "structure" to this one-off case design. I am intending on using a full-size Gigabyte board...and a triple-circuit water-cooling setup. The "chassis" I am beginning with is 610mm tall...here are some pics of the donor chassis.

This is...as I said...more a "Concept" case mod/fabrication...so it won't necessarily be an accurate Mac Pro "replica" as such...just an idea of what could have happened if there was a Mac Pro/XServe in a tower format. But where possible...I will try to stay as true to the Mac Pro/G5 "style" as possible.:rockout:

I hope you enjoy following this thread...as I will certainly be having a ball creating it!
Cheers!:toast:

Last edited:

King Wookie

System Name Blackbox
Processor Intel i5 750 @ stock for now
Motherboard EVGA P55 LE
Cooling Corsair H50 with 2 x Zalman ZM-F3 push/pull
Memory 2 x 2g team extreem DDR3 2000
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 460 Top
Storage Seagate 500.12, Seagate 320.11
Display(s) BenQ FP222W - 22 inches
Case CM 590 with 5x various fans (Thermalright/Noctua)
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX620
Software XP home SP3
Wow, some serious space in that frame.

I'll be watching with interest then.:toast:

spuddly2003

Dual Optical Drive Bay?

Just a small update...I had a dilemma facing me as to how to mount 2 optical drives, I didn't want to have to make a drive bay specifically for the job...but I still want the front panel looking as close to authentic MacPro as possible. Thankfully, I still have some old technology laying around!

...an old Pentium 200 MMX...surprisingly a still operational machine (but why!)

It just so happens that this design of case has a "removable" dual optical drive bay...therefore saving the drama of having to make a dual optical bay from scratch!

The "donor" dual optical bay...still located in the "victim"!...lol

Out with the CD-RW drive...

...off with the plastic front panel(didn't even bother disassembling the rest of the machine!) ...

...and out with the cordless drill to drill out the pop-rivets...

...with a quick flick of the wrist...

...voila...dual drive bay...ready to be used!

They aren't much to look at yet...I will be sanding them up smooth...and painting them in "chrome" paint...but I'm not real worried...in true MacPro form...it will be hidden behind the aluminium finish panel.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Pro Wifi II
Cooling Hyper 212 EVO v2
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR4-4000
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6750 XT
Storage WD Black SN850 2TB, various other SSD's from ages past
Display(s) LG 27GL850 1440@144, AG Neovo EM2701QC 1440@75
Case Zophos EVO Silent by Raijintek
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud II Wireless headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse ProtoArc EM01
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow X Chroma Mercury
Software Windows 11 Pro
Looks interesting so far. Curious as to how well chrome paint is gonna work. I've used it on plastic with decent results.

-subscribed-

Exavier

Processor Q6600 G0 Stepping @3.4
Motherboard DFI LanParty DK P45 T2RS-PLUS
Cooling Fitseries3 Edition Fuzion v1, XSPC Razor X2, XSPC RS320, Hydor L30
Memory Crucial Ballistix @972mhz CL5
Video Card(s) Sapphire 4870X2 2GB
Storage Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB x2 (I need another OS drive LOL)
Display(s) Sony Bravia 40L4000 40" HDTV :D
Case Silverstone TJ07 (Mod is a WIP)
Power Supply Corsair HX620w
Software Windows Vista
looking good so far...keep us updated :)

commandercup

Processor Intel Pentium E2200
Motherboard EVGA 680i SLI T1
Memory 2GB Patriot Memory
Video Card(s) PNY 9600 GT 512MB
Storage 250GB Maxtor
Display(s) HP w19
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Xtreme Audio
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 600W
Software Windows XP Media Center
shouldn't this be in the project logs forum? ...

anyways, interesting idea... I don't think the finished product will look anything like a G5 though lol

spuddly2003

shouldn't this be in the project logs forum? ...

anyways, interesting idea... I don't think the finished product will look anything like a G5 though lol

Well as I had already said in my first post...the intention wasn't to build a "replica"...just to follow a similar concept...there are other G5/Mac Pro Hackintoshes (that are actually using "genuine" Apple cases!) that still haven't ended up retaining their "G5" appearance from an internal point of view either, but they've still been damn nice mods...all the same! But I do plan on trying extremely hard (where possible/practical) to stay as true to a Mac Pro in design as possible...but thank you for your comment...

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
Go to the chemist. Buy a small bottle of "EUYCALYPTUS" oil. Put a small drop of the oil on a rag or kitchen paper, and it will wipe those stickey glue marks off within 5 seconds.

System Name Hogan's Crap
Processor Intel i3-2120 Crap!
Motherboard Dell POS Crap!
Cooling Stock Crap!
Memory 4 GB Kingston DDR3 10600 Crap!
Video Card(s) Stock Crap!
Storage 500 GB 5400 rpm Crap!
Software Windows 10 64bit
Very interesting.... Keep the pics coming, we love our pictures :rockout:

spuddly2003

So...here's the theory??!!

Ok...so here's the theory...don't you just love it when people say "it's all good in theory?" Anyway...the idea is:

*Invert the chassis(BTXstyle).

*Remove the motherboard tray(D'uh!).

*Disassemble the chassis panel by panel drilling out all the pop rivets holding it together.

*Completely cut out the original front and rear panels...leaving basically a 20mm "frame" for a front panel...and about a 10mm "frame" for a back panel.

...and apart from the motherboard tray and the slides that it slides in on and of course the front and back "frames"...pretty much discard the rest of the chassis!

I have had it pointed out to me on this thread...that there are doubts as to just how close this mod will actually be to a G5/MacPro.

In light of that comment...I had discovered that with the depth of this chassis...it would have only allowed me to have 3 hard drive bays across instead of 4. These of course will be double drive bays instead of singular...(more hard drives, 8 in total, true to servers) but I did say I wanted this mod to be a "concept" of what Apple could have done if they'd thought of it...rather than a true "replica"!

So therefore...I have decided to rejoin the front and back panels with aluminium angle...to make for a little more depth, which in turn will also allow the case to grow a little wider...in better proportion with a "genuine" MacPro case!

Unlike a MacPro...the rear panel will be flat, instead of curved at either end...but the front panel will still have the integrated curves top and bottom. It will also have a flat front panel behind the curved "perforated" front panel...to allow for mounting of 3 120mm fans to cater for the CPU's water cooling loop...along with a Radiical® Ultra Triple120 mm Fan Radiator-Dual Pass.

Due to the overall height of this case...I am having to deviate away from a MacPro in design slightly...just so the structure of the case doesn't become too "flimsy" and weak...this is going to be quite a heavy computer!

Thats all for now...another update in a few days!

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
The pictures with the electric screw driver made me chuckle. What in the world..

spuddly2003

The pictures with the electric screw driver made me chuckle. What in the world..

Cheers for that...here in Australia we call them a cordless "Drill"...and I was illustrating drilling out the rivets that held the drive bay in place!

spuddly2003

Aluminium Angle.

Just a quick update. I went out to Bunnings today and bought 4 1 metre lengths of 20mm flange aluminium angle, and 4 1 metre lengths of 12mm flange aluminium angle, that will be used to tie the front and rear panels back together, and also tidy up some of the original steel edges. This will form the new chassis with which the rest of the MacPro/XServe tower will be built around.

Stay tooned, as over the next few days, I will be starting to disassemble the original server tower, cut out the front and rear frames, bog (bondo) the holes up in the front panel, and start to form the new chassis!

spuddly2003

Time to Slice and Dice?

I apologise for the lack of recent updates...have recently changed ISP, but I'm back now...with some all-new updates!

Cutting up the original Front Panel... to leave a basic "frame" for an aluminium faceplate to be mounted, to accomodate the 2 optical drive bays (at the top) and 3 fans for the triple-fan CPU water loop radiator (about 2/3rds the way down the faceplate).

Firstly...here is marked what needs to be cut away...

(This was originally the top of the case...where the floppy drive and power switch were)

(This was originally the lower front of the case...where the factory fitted 80mm fans were, for hard drive and case ventilation)

The front panel will be inverted (to make for a cleaner edge for the optical drive bays) and in keeping with the original theory of inverting the whole case BTX style.

Next is a photo of me holding the angle grinder in my hand getting ready to start the cut, with a devious look on my face!

....after all...how often do you hear the words "angle grinder" and "computer" used in the same phrase...???...lol...!!!

...first cut...the top section where the floppy drive was...

...and the cut out section completed...

Next, moving on to the lower section...
...starting the cut...

...about a third of the way through...

...and finishing up...section falling away...

It doesn't show in the photos...but it actually took 3 full cutting disks from start to finish (just on this lower section!)...I have learnt my lesson now...you get what you pay for...cheap, rubbish cutting disks!!!

Lastly...the complete...cut-out original front-panel...

In future updates...I will be bogging up this panel...and smoothing it out...in preparation for forming the new chassis...stay tooned!!!

spuddly2003

Bogging up the front panel

A little more progress made…front panel roughly scuffed up a little…so as to have a raw surface to use Stainless Steel reinforced bog (bondo) on…filling up as many of the original holes/gaps as possible.

Front of front panel roughed up…

Back of front panel….

Masking up of the front panel…from behind…so the bog would actually stick and not just fall through the holes…

…and lastly…the first stage of applying the bog and filling up the holes…

I don't honestly really know why I am going to the trouble…the front and rear frames are going to be trimmed with aluminium angle…and as the project progresses, these frames eventually won't even be visible…but call it my perfectionist nature, I guess!

The aim is to try to get the finished case to be as smooooooth as possible…and if I know it's there…and it ain't right…I won't let up till it's put right!

The completed bog filling job...

...painted in red oxide primer...

...and finally...painted in grey primer...

The frame has only been bogged and painted on the front so far...I decided to start making the aluminium angle frame first while it is still at this stage...that way if there's any damage to the paint in the process...I'll just touch up the paint all in one go...

Anyway…that's all for now...by next update the frame should be ready for stuff like hi-fill primer to be applied and sanded, etch primed and painted chrome…in preparation for the aluminium framework which will eventually support the "hidden" front.

intel igent

System Name old school / new school
Processor 3.0e C0 @ 3.6 / e5200
Motherboard p4p800e-dlx / p5q-DLX
Cooling custom water see sig / air
Memory 2x1g oczPC4000EbPl / 2x2g ocz2rpr1066
Video Card(s) 3850AGP / 4890vaporX
Storage 36g raptor+120g wd / wd 1001fals 1tb
Display(s) BenQ / sharpAQUOS LC-37D64U
Case modded antec plusview / generic
Audio Device(s) audigy 2zs / ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3
Power Supply fan/cable modded powerstream 520 / OCZ 700mxsp
Software Xp pro SP2 / VISTA ultimate OEM
where's your goggles? :)

spuddly2003

where's your goggles? :)

...many years in the metal fabrication industry...you sorta get to know stuff like which way sparks/shavings are gonna go after a while...but...yes...kiddies...don't try this at home....this man is a trained fuckwit....lol!!!

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Pro Wifi II
Cooling Hyper 212 EVO v2
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR4-4000
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6750 XT
Storage WD Black SN850 2TB, various other SSD's from ages past
Display(s) LG 27GL850 1440@144, AG Neovo EM2701QC 1440@75
Case Zophos EVO Silent by Raijintek
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud II Wireless headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse ProtoArc EM01
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow X Chroma Mercury
Software Windows 11 Pro
:rockout:

Keep at it sir, I thought you had dropped off this project. Good to know you're still around.

Processor Intel E8400 @ 3.6ghz (1.25v)
Motherboard Evga 680i SLI
Cooling ASUS Arctic Square
Memory 4GB GSKILL PI Black (2x2GB) 4-4-4-12 @ 1.8v
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 275 Superclocked
Storage WD 320GB (B3 revision)/WD 160GB
Display(s) Acer X241W
Power Supply PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750w
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Looking good!

And I know how fast cutting wheels go, lol. That's why if I cut anything, I usually just go and use a plasma cutter at my friends shop. :p Just hook up a straight edge next to where you want to cut, and it works wonders. :D

spuddly2003

No Recent Updates???

Hi, Y'all!
Just a short note to say I haven't given up...and that I am still here...I just have no current updates to report. Unfortunately I am going through an Australian winter here at the moment...and I do the majority of my work outside (bit difficult when it's pretty much constantly raining!)...and I also have 2 other completely unrelated mods on the go as well (one for my wife, one for my eldest son) which were actually started long before mine...and I have had them both breathing down my neck to make some more progress on theirs!
Hopefully I will have another update soon, possibly while I am painting the other two!
Cheers...and see you all again soon!