• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme 4870X2 (Old) - Short screws solution !

System Name Dire Wolf IV
Processor Intel Core i9 14900K
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z790-I GAMING WIFI
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Memory 2x24GB Corsair DDR5 6667
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX4080 FE
Storage AORUS Gen4 7300 1TB + Western Digital SN750 500GB
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF (QD-OLED, 3440x1440, 165hz)
Case Corsair Airflow 2000D
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Chuangquan CQ84
Software Windows 11 Professional
I got fed up with my HD4870X2 sounding like a 747 on takeoff under heavy load, so I got myself the Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme 4870X2 and ripped the stock cooler off. As some of you might know, the screws used on the stock cooler's X-shaped back-brackets are a bit too short to reach the Accelero (The manual says to re-use them on the Accelero) and quite a few HD4870X2 cards died when the owners tried to get from to fit and applied too much pressure.

A new version of the cooler is out (That includes 8 longer screws) and owners can request longer screws from AC for free, but that takes time. I got the old version, unfortunately, and didn't want to try and force the card (Nor wait for new screws from AC, since that would take a long, long while), so I started looking for replacement screws.

I didn't have to look very far, and here is the solution:
The small screws on the rear of the stock cooler (The side of cooler making contact with the card) which hold the plastic cover to the cooler itself fit perfectly in place of the too-short screws. Voila, problem solved !

Here are the screws marked:

Just thought I'd share it. I hope this helps someone else out.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
One month to late. Nice advice though. I had some other screws that worked, but at first I tried thier way. They should had included those longer in the beginning.

Great cooler, I am really impressed by it, cool and quiet...:)

System Name Dire Wolf IV
Processor Intel Core i9 14900K
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z790-I GAMING WIFI
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Memory 2x24GB Corsair DDR5 6667
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX4080 FE
Storage AORUS Gen4 7300 1TB + Western Digital SN750 500GB
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF (QD-OLED, 3440x1440, 165hz)
Case Corsair Airflow 2000D
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Chuangquan CQ84
Software Windows 11 Professional
One month to late. Nice advice though. I had some other screws that worked, but at first I tried thier way. They should had included those longer in the beginning.

Great cooler, I am really impressed by it, cool and quiet...:)

Yep, it is absolutely fantastic. Quiet and cools like a fridge.

azmza

I got fed up with my HD4870X2 sounding like a 747 on takeoff under heavy load, so I got myself the Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme 4870X2 and ripped the stock cooler off. As some of you might know, the screws used on the stock cooler's X-shaped back-brackets are a bit too short to reach the Accelero (The manual says to re-use them on the Accelero) and quite a few HD4870X2 cards died when the owners tried to get from to fit and applied too much pressure.

A new version of the cooler is out (That includes 8 longer screws) and owners can request longer screws from AC for free, but that takes time. I got the old version, unfortunately, and didn't want to try and force the card (Nor wait for new screws from AC, since that would take a long, long while), so I started looking for replacement screws.

I didn't have to look very far, and here is the solution:
The small screws on the rear of the stock cooler (The side of cooler making contact with the card) which hold the plastic cover to the cooler itself fit perfectly in place of the too-short screws. Voila, problem solved !

Here are the screws marked:
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e44/Direwolf007/Accelero-HD4870X2-Screw-Workaround.jpg

Just thought I'd share it. I hope this helps someone else out.

Thx alot, i was trying to pressure screws :banghead: , but i ll see if have small screws on the rear of the stock cooler or if different card model doesnt has these screws i will check when i go home.

Thx again :rockout:.