• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XFX 4870 512mb bios wanted

zenbandit

Hey,

I recently tried to flash my xfx 4870 512mb (HD-487A-YWFC) with the asus top bios. It didn't work and all I got was a black screen and no posting.

I used the proper DOS method with a usb stick and the flash appeared to go well. I know I should have taken a backup of the bios.

I have tried reflashing with various other bios's including Saphite, ati, asus, palit and powercolor.

I thought that my xfx was a reference design but am now thinking that maybe it isn't. I think the cooler is non reference but would that make a difference?

The best result I get is with the saphire bios which displays the power error message "you have not connected one of the power connectors (or something like that)". Power is 550w and was always fine before flash.

Also when I boot having the xfx as secondary display I can get a display in windows on the second monitor but windows is VERY unstable and may only stay up for seconds.

So if any one can help with a bios or advice I would be pretty grateful.

I have requested a bios from xfx support but they seem to be pretty slow and I am not sure they will give me one.

Thanks guys.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
What brand PSU?

That PSU might be pushing it, the specs for that card call for 500 Watts or greater(recommended)and 450(minimum). How old is the PSU? How many rails, what is the output of the rails, and are the rails up to the task? If the supply has a low efficiency, then it might not be up to the job.

You might want to list you specs under the user cp.

Have you read this, it may apply:http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=64328

And, yes, you should always back-up the firmware/bios, before doing any mods or updates to them!

:)

zenbandit

Hey 95viper.

I thought I probably should have put up more info than i did.

Anyway Specs are as follows:

ASUS M3N78-EM motherboard
AMD Athlon X2 7750 @ 3.1
4 x 1GB Crucial Ram
550W ATX PSU - Here is a link with PSU details - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/102994

I have 2 sata drives in a raid0 setup too, put still get power error message when these aren't plugged in.

The whole setup is only about 2 months old. The 4870 is run from 1 x 6 pin from the PSU and a 2 molex in to one 6pin.

I never had power problems before the flash, and that was when I had the raid drives, cd rom, 2 x case fans and satelite card all running too, so it seems unlikely (but possible) that it is the PSU.

Is it possible the xfx bios would have been required a less power??

Thanks.

mikek75

System Name As easy as falling off a lorry
Processor Core I5 2500K auto tuned to 4.2ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P
Cooling Corsair H80 sealed water cooler
Memory 16gb Gskill Ripjawz 1600mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6970 2GB
Storage Corsair 120GB Force 3 SSD, OCZ 60 GB Agility 3 SSD, Seagate 500GB, 2x80gb Maxtors
Display(s) DELL 2309w 23" Widescreen 1920x1080+ LG M2294D 22" 1680x1050 LCDtv/monitor
Case Zalman Z9 Plus
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro
Power Supply PC Power&Cooling 750w Silencer Quad PCIe
Software Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Probably unrelated, but that PSU is totally inadequate for a 4870. 20A total for the 12v rail, and thats max...probably around 15A sustained.

Clouds4brains

Hi if you still need it here it is, the new rbe will allso open and edit the bios now aswell.
Just confirmation my box says part No hd-487a-ywfc and it is a xfx 4870 generic version that goes to 850/1150 wooo
Regards
Mike

Attachments

• RV770.zip
    45.8 KB · Views: 564