• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PowerColor 9800 Pro: Advice needed please :)

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
Hi,
After 3 weeks of waiting Ive finally got my replacement card (as I killed my other Radeon) Ive been sent a PowerColor 9800 Pro 128mb (with R350 core) instead of the ATi branded 9800 Pro 128mb (R360 core version) that I originally had :eek:

Ive got a few questions :) :

1) My core is 324.00 Mhz & mem is 290.25 Mhz, does this seem really low to you guys?

2) Ive installed my VGA Silencer Rev.3 and 8 Vantec Iceberq ramsinks so should I overclock it?

3) Can this card be flashed with an XT bios (the memory is Infineon)

Thanks in advance :D

N

nightelf84

The stock core and memory speeds for a 9800 PRO is 380 and 340. Those speeds are way off m8...

According to power-color's product page, it seems that you were sent an Ati Radeon 9800PRO EZ which has a core speed of 380 (yours seem to be lower than this as well ?1?!) and a mem speed of 300 (which seems to match the one you have). The EZ series also has only 128bit of memory bus width compared with a normal 9800PRO. Try to check the sticker on your card and match the part number to the ones found on their product page. Looks like you were either sent a wrong one or got cheated :(

http://www.power-color.com/

You can overclock but to mod, you will need a R360 core. Before you do this, you might wanna check with your retail store and sort out why you were given a lower spec card...

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
nightelf84 said:
The stock core and memory speeds for a 9800 PRO is 380 and 340. Those speeds are way off m8...

According to power-color's product page, it seems that you were sent an Ati Radeon 9800PRO EZ which has a core speed of 380 (yours seem to be lower than this as well ?1?!) and a mem speed of 300 (which seems to match the one you have). The EZ series also has only 128bit of memory bus width compared with a normal 9800PRO. Try to check the sticker on your card and match the part number to the ones found on their product page. Looks like you were either sent a wrong one or got cheated :(

http://www.power-color.com/

You can overclock but to mod, you will need a R360 core. Before you do this, you might wanna check with your retail store and sort out why you were given a lower spec card...

Thanks for the info m8, Im sure this is the peice of shit Ive been sent:

http://www.power-color.com/xr98-c3-b.htm

It must be naffed as the speeds are way too low (just like you said)

*ucking MicroDirect, bunch of cowboys (I will be ripping into those *astards first thing tomorrow)

N

nightelf84

LOL

How did you verify your speeds btw? Using AtiTool? If you were sent that card (the one you linked to), it's supposed to have 380 core, 340 mem and 256bit bus, which is what you want in a 9800PRO. hmmm..... interesting.....because the EZ series has a 'black' heatsink, and is the only one that has lower specs...

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
nightelf84 said:
LOL

How did you verify your speeds btw? Using AtiTool? If you were sent that card (the one you linked to), it's supposed to have 380 core, 340 mem and 256bit bus, which is what you want in a 9800PRO. hmmm..... interesting.....because the EZ series has a 'black' heatsink, and is the only one that has lower specs...

Hi m8,

I used AtiTool to verify the speeds and the heatsink is silver ???? :confused:

N

nightelf84

Discontinued?!?! OMG... Its not even a PRO
Man...there are actually sellers out there who still think the consumers know nothing?!?!? Well m8, I'm fuming way over here as well!!! ask for a refund man.... and get a card somewhere else!

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
nightelf84 said:
Discontinued?!?! OMG... Its not even a PRO
Man...there are actually sellers out there who still think the consumers know nothing?!?!? Well m8, I'm fuming way over here as well!!! ask for a refund man.... and get a card somewhere else!

Im going to phone them shortly and demand a refund, this is totally out of order. I cant believe they think Im that stupid to accept this :mad:

I will let you know what the idiots say :) Thanks for all your help m8 ;)

Daz

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
I just spoke to them and Ive got to return the card (again!)

i checked the code No. on the card whilst I was removing it and its really strange. The label attached to the card say 'R98PC3 - R98 Pro 128M' which matches the 9800 Pro details on the PowerColor site, yet the core/mem speeds are that of the BULK edition ????????
Also the retail box it was sent in is just a Radeon 9800 box with a sticker stating PRO slapped on it??????
Could this be PowerColor's fault not MicroDirect ????????

N

nightelf84

hmmm.....its either a mistake or somebody must have tampered with the product at some stage.... If its PowerColor's fault, there must be more cases out there like yours as these are mass produced.... I haven't come across a mislabelling case before...but dat doesnt mean its impossible....maybe somebody else has had the same experience..... But from what you said.... it sounds more like tampering to me.... (9800 box with a PRO sticker?!?!? , I mean what is that?!!!?!)

Well, i just hope you get this sorted out soon mate :) another 3 weeks wait? hmmm...dats going to be a pain....

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
Well, i just hope you get this sorted out soon mate :) another 3 weeks wait? hmmm...dats going to be a pain....[/QUOTE]

Tell me about it m8, Im dying to get on CS:Source :D

Oh well, Ive sent the card now Ive got to wait :eek:

I will keep you posted m8

Daz

System Name VisheraX8
Processor AMD FX-8350 4.00GHz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9900 NT
Memory 4 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2133MHz
Video Card(s) ATI RADEON HD 7770
Storage 48TB Total + 250GB Samsung SSD 840 Pro
Case AirCool Predator
Power Supply Antec High Current PSU 1200W
Software Microsoft Windows 8 Pro X64
It seems you actually got a 9800 NP (325,580).

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
Fahim said:
It seems you actually got a 9800 NP (325,580).

When you say NP you do mean 'non-pro' right? All of this is really weird as my PC recognized the card as a PRO yet it obviously wasnt one!

N

nightelf84

That's prolly because it was flashed with a PRO BIOS to give the appearance of a 9800PRO but because the card could not handle PRO speeds, the BIOS has NP speeds written to it.

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
nightelf84 said:
That's prolly because it was flashed with a PRO BIOS to give the appearance of a 9800PRO but because the card could not handle PRO speeds, the BIOS has NP speeds written to it.

Its out of order that they try to fool people with this kind of shit!!!! :mad:

Whats so wrong with wanting to get what you pay for??? :rolleyes:

N

nightelf84

hmmm....well...this is all speculation up to now....we don't know how this happened....yet.

You make money buy selling NP cards at PRO prices m8 :)

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
nightelf84 said:
hmmm....well...this is all speculation up to now....we don't know how this happened....yet.

You make money buy selling NP cards at PRO prices m8 :)

Yeah, bloody conmen! :(

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
Your never going to believe this bullshit!

After all the shit with this Radeon I contact MicroDirect today and they tell me theyve given me the wrong return code and credited someone elses account!!!!!

Anyone thinking of using MicroDirect.....DONT!!!!!