• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

5850 Fan control?

1keith1

Does it work with the new 1.24RBE?

I already set my mem to 1205mhz like i want it with my last RBE flash but i wanted to do another flash so i can have my settings with the overclock and fan control, which i know are 100% stable (40min GPU tool), at 978/1205 and i wanted to set up the fan profile to be similar to what i have set in Afterburner.

1keith1

In case you guys don't know what i mean, i mean setting a custom profile for the fan where you set the fan speed to 40% at 30C and 50% at 45C, like that.

LineLeo

Me too. I set the fan speed is:
Duty cycle min = 20
T min = 40
T mix = 75
but,
when temperature is lower than 75C(T mix), the fan speed is same as default,
when temperature is higher than 75C(T mix), the fan speed is 100%.
so if temperature is 75C~76C, the fan speed is default(about 55%) or 100% to switch.
(%)
100|            |------------
90|            |
80|            |
70|            |
60|            |
50|            /
40|          /
30|        /
20|------------/
10|
0|_________________________________
  0     55     75        (C)

and I want to set the fan speed is :
temperature / fan speed
0C/20%,10C/20%,20C/20%,30C/20%,40C/20%,50C/40%,60C/60%,70C/90%,75C/100%
(%)
100|               /------------
90|              /
80|             /
70|            /
60|           /
50|          /
40|         /
30|        /
20|-------------/
10|
0|_________________________________
  0      40       75     (C)

divertiti

5850 fan not spinning up after bios mod

I modded my 5850's bios with overclocking settings, however, the fan profile isn't exactly working.

My settings are
Tmin=55
Tmax=120
Dudy Cycle Min = 22

Hysteresis = 0
Spin up Cycle = 70
Spin up time = 4
Tmin Hysteresis = 4
PMW ramp = 1
PMW on

With GPU-Z monitoring, it says I idle at 41C with 21% on the fan, however when I play a game, the temperature goes as high as 74C but the fan only goes up to 31%, no higher. According to the graph on RBE, my fan should be at 40% when temp is at 70C

Anyone have any idea why it doesn't work?

egancj

I understand you
and I am in trouble changing 5850's fan speed by RBE not by CCC
I'm watiing for solution

egancj

How to change 5850's fan speed???

I change my 5850's fan speed into 55%
but it does'nt work

it stays 21%

aCid888*

Make one thread only.

Reported.

doodkipje

BAGZZlash, any news on 5850 fan control working for 5850's? desperately waiting xD

BAGZZlash

RBE Author
BAGZZlash, any news on 5850 fan control working for 5850's? desperately waiting xD

I received a 5830 for testing from W1zzard yesterday. :cool: Still have some problems installing it, though. It seems either the card or the catalyst driver (10.3) does have some trouble with my screen: Always 60 Hz! :banghead: Makes me crazy, my eyes start to tear as soon as I look at the screen for more than 5 seconds. And I've been doing it all day today... :mad:

Usually I install a card, install the monitor driver, disable EDID usage in the CCC, pump up the refresh rate to 85 Hz and that's it. Doesn't work here. Also tried ReForce and other tools. Any ideas?

doodkipje

I received a 5830 for testing from W1zzard yesterday. :cool: Still have some problems installing it, though. It seems either the card or the catalyst driver (10.3) does have some trouble with my screen: Always 60 Hz! :banghead: Makes me crazy, my eyes start to tear as soon as I look at the screen for more than 5 seconds. And I've been doing it all day today... :mad:

Usually I install a card, install the monitor driver, disable EDID usage in the CCC, pump up the refresh rate to 85 Hz and that's it. Doesn't work here. Also tried ReForce and other tools. Any ideas?

I have no idea, anyone else that could possibly help here? :D

sparksltd

Hey Bagzzlash, Why would you need to disable EDID? If your monitor supports higher than 60Hz then you shouldnt need to disable EDID.
Cant wait for fan control on 5**0 cards!

Thanks for all the hard work you have done so far:)

doodkipje

yea bagz your doing an eff-ing amazing job, if you could get the fancontrol working for 5850 (or 58xx series in general) i will donate to your project :rolleyes:

divertiti

For those of you eagerly waiting for the fan control to work, in the mean time you can use MSI Afterburner to set your fan profile. I left both 2D and 3D profile empty in Afterburner, so it's not doing any clock control, only fan, works great.

If you just set it to start automatically with windows, it's ALMOST as good as having the fan control in bios....almost.

doodkipje

I know, thats what I'm using right now, but thanks anyway :D Yea it'd be so much better to just have it done within the bios itself, you wouldnt have to grant msi ab admin rights everytime you startup your computer, msi wouldnt need to be on all the time etc.

1keith1

Yea I know I am using that also, only thing is I set my card to my overclock settings in my bios so it gets pretty hot booting up, then once in windows the fan profile kicks in and it is really loud because it is now trying to cool it off. Not really a big deal but its kind of annoying. :p

Another reason I don't like using MSI's Afterburner is because I notice that 40% of the time the profile doesn't start upon boot so I check every time to see that the fan is working which is getting annoying as well.

doodkipje

Yea I know I am using that also, only thing is I set my card to my overclock settings in my bios so it gets pretty hot booting up, then once in windows the fan profile kicks in and it is really loud because it is now trying to cool it off. Not really a big deal but its kind of annoying. :p

Another reason I don't like using MSI's Afterburner is because I notice that 40% of the time the profile doesn't start upon boot so I check every time to see that the fan is working which is getting annoying as well.

Yea same goes for me, it will spin up loud when im in windows to cool it off again :p The profile does always start with windows at my place though, dont know what thats all about :confused:

BAGZZlash

RBE Author
So here are my first findings. I'd really appreciate some of you guys confirm them! :toast:

I have an Asus 5830 installed, equipped with a default software controllable fan (please note that there's no such thing as a reference design by ATI for the 5830, so also no reference cooler). I have the catalyst driver 10.3 installed as well as the CCC.
Good news is: Fan control using RBE still works as usual! I tried both automatic transfer function and look up table mode. First I set the transfer function to rather drastic values, flashed and rebooted. See the settings I used here:

Transfer.jpg

After reboot, just during the POST screen, I noticed the expected: Pretty loud fan noise. This high fan spin rate kept up until windows was booted (and thus, driver settings kicked in). Please note that I have overdrive disabled, don't use any profiles in the CCC and don't use any other video card software such as Afterbuner, RivaTuner or anything like that. Still, the driver seems to take over the fan controlling job.

Afterwards, I confirmed these findings using a BIOS set to use these, again drastic, look up table values:

LUT.jpg

I found the same outcome: Loud fan during boot, fan noise cutting off as soon as windows was booted.

Conclusion: Fan control in BIOS itself still works, but settings are being overridden by driver even without any fan profile. Do you confirm?

doodkipje

Confirmed.
Same as you, during boot it was spinning up untill windows and the drivers kicked in...
Strange... :confused:

BAGZZlash

RBE Author
Hum, this is both good and bad news. Good to know that neither the BIOS itself nor RBE is the problem here. But how do we stop the driver from bullying the BIOS out of the fan control job?