• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI 890GXM-G65 Review

Processor Intel 6700K
Motherboard Asus Maximus VIII Impact
Cooling Noctua NH-L9x65
Memory 2 x 16 GB G.Skill TridentZ @ 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 Mini
Case Thermaltake Suppressor F1
Power Supply SilverStone 600w SFX
It’s been a while since AMD introduced a new chipset. The 890GX-SB850 has several new features, including USB 3.0, SATA 3, 6-core CPU support, and upgraded integrated graphics with DirectX 10.1 support. MSI is getting into the 890GX game immediately, and has sent me their 890GXM-G65 for testing. Though the 890GXM-G65 is part of MSI’s “Gaming Series,” here I’ll be testing it in an HTPC setting.

OC Genie Lite

* Automatically detect best OC configuration
* Optimized for 3-D performance

USB 3.0

* Revolutionary SuperSpeed USB 3.0, 10x faster than USB 2.0
* Up to 5Gbps bandwidth, boost data transfer rate between PC and USB device

OC Switch

* Help end-users upgrade CPU FSB directly
* Skip complicated BIOS settings and enjoy higher level CPU performance

eSATA/USB Combo Port

* Integrated eSATA and USB function
* No need for power source for external SATA device

M-Flash

* Fast, flexible, instant BIOS
flashing
* Can still boot from USB flash drive if BIOS crashes

Lossless

* Lossless content protection technology with full-rate audio enjoyment
* Support for 24bit/192KHz sample rate for high quality digital decoders and speakers

Other features

* Active Phase Switching to increase power saving
* SATA 6Gb/s
* Solid capacitors
* Super Ferrite Chokes

Price - $129.99

Packaging and motherboard pictures

I don’t know how many people have noticed this, but you can usually tell the grade of an MSI motherboard by the box color. Purple boxes are generally entry-level, orange boxes are mid to high level, and “special” motherboards, like the Big bang, get their own unique packaging. Since I’ve tested plenty of each, I usually know what to expect ahead of time.

This board came with just the essentials, as pictured here. I’m sure the full retail one will come with a bit more, including a user manual. I like the fact that MSI color codes their driver discs. The AMD ones have a green banner, while the Intel ones have a blue banner. This is a nice touch that I greatly appreciate. When I’m switching back and forth, and have a pile of driver discs on my desk, this makes finding the right one very easy.

The motherboard sports MSI’s typical (in recent boards anyway) blue on black color scheme, and has a nice clean layout. MSI has done a great job utilizing the small amount of real estate available in the mATX form factor. The two pci-e slots are spaced far enough apart for dual-slot video cards, while leaving enough room at the bottom for easily accessing the OC Switch and USB headers.

One thing I noticed right off is the lack of fan headers. This board has a total of two. That’s right, the CPU fan header, and the one near the SATA ports. For any additional fans, you’ve gotta run adapters straight from the power supply.

One thing I don’t like, but is not unique to this board, is the SATA connector orientation. Normally it’s not a huge problem, in fact it can make cabling much neater inside a case. But in a tiny mATX case, it can be very hard to get the SATA cables in and out of the ports, especially if they’re the type with clips on the ends. However, there is one upward-facing port, so if you if you have a need to frequently remove drives, this will make it much easier. If you’re using this in a full size case, ignore this paragraph.

The DDR3 slot placement is typical of most AMD motherboards. It’s all too common for memory slots on these boards to use adjacent slots for dual channel, instead of every other slot like the majority of Intel motherboards.

The CPU socket area is very clean and uncluttered, so insulating should be a breeze if I decide to do any overclocking with liquid nitrogen.

Read the rest of my review HERE.

I'll be updating this thread with new testing results as I have them available :)

System Name Dark Stealth
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard Gigabyte B450M Gaming rev 1.0
Cooling Snowman, arctic p12 x2 fans
Memory 16x2 DDR4 Corsair Dominator Pro
Video Card(s) 3080 10gb
Storage 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 Crucial P3 Plus, 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, 4TB WD RED HDD
Display(s) HP Omen 34c (34" monitor 3440x1440 165Hz VA panel)
Case Zalman S2
Power Supply Corsair 750TX
Mouse Logitech pro superlight, mx mouse s3, Razer Basiliskx with battery
Keyboard Custom mechanical keyboard tm680
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores 70-80 fps 3440x1440 on cyberpunk 2077 max settings
Really nice review :)

Processor Intel 6700K
Motherboard Asus Maximus VIII Impact
Cooling Noctua NH-L9x65
Memory 2 x 16 GB G.Skill TridentZ @ 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 Mini
Case Thermaltake Suppressor F1
Power Supply SilverStone 600w SFX
*Update!*

New BIOS Version supports full voltage adjustment and Core Unlocking!

Nip1

Just bought one of these MB and I'm trying to load XP on a SATA drive. I've been trying to get XP to see the drive, but no luck. There's no floppy port on the MB. I've tried a slipstream XP with generic SATA drivers that I burned with Nlite and still no joy. Does anyone know what the correct SATA drivers are for this board so I can make another Nlite disk? I've looked on the MSI site for downloads and don't see SATA drivers...Help!!...Thnx.
BTW..I'm using XP pro, 32 bit, SP2