• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Problem with 5870: rig refuses to update beyond 10.4

Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T v2
Cooling Noctua D-14
Memory OCZ Gold 1600
Video Card(s) Powercolor PCS+ 5870
Storage Samsung SpinPoint F3 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung LE-B530 37" TV
Case Lian Li PC-B25F
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 700w
Software Windows 7 64-bit
The easiest way to outline my problem is by quoting the exhcanges that occured in the following thread: AMD Releases ATI Catalyst 10.9 WHQL Driver Suite

I just tried to reinstall 10.9 again (same issues and immediate return to 10.4 fixed things) and I have now included screenshots so than you can see what is happening, just in case anybody is kind and smart enough to come up with a solution other than "stick with 10.4". I may have reduced the screenshots too much, but the text corruption in the first word of the message in the ATI registration window and in the "sí" button should be evident. Even for the sake of curiousity I would like to know what is happening and why it is occuring. It should be noted that the screen clipping mentioned below does occur in the screenshot showing the 10.9 display, even though this is not apparent in the screenshot, i.e. in my living room the screen moves beyond the borders of my tv.

The Problem

My issues:

As I found with 10.6, the text on the ATI registration window that pops up at the start is corrupt. Abiword is the only word processing software I have installed, I don't know if that is relevant.

I increased the scan slightly in CCC to minimize a small black border. No problems, but when I restarted the desktop was now so overscanned that it had moved slightly beyond the frame of the tv, cutting off the date and portions of icons. I clicked on CCC and without having to do anything else, the issue fixed itself and the desktop returned to the correct resolution. This issue occured each time I restarted.

I tried Metro 2033 and the three Company of Heroes titles: all ran perfectly. However, the two Dawn of War II titles crashed after the opening cinematics, just before the main menu appears. All games were played via Steam; I say this just in case the extremely recent inclusion of the ATI drivers on this platform could be causing me problems.

I restarted a number of times and none of the issues fixed themselves before finally deciding to reinstall 10.4, the drivers I had been using without issue up to this point: once again all issues were immediately resolved.

Any ideas what could be going on here? Why does my rig like 10.4 so much? I am more or less at the stage of sticking with 10.4 and ignoring all future drivers: that wouldn't be the end of the world, but it would be nice to know that I could move beyond 10.4 if I so desired. Any constructive input would be much appreciated.

much like you Mr McC, i had a really good experience with 10.3, but .4 .5 after that were no good for me (bsods on driver uninstall and lots of other minor silly nonsense which shouldnt happen on a stable rig) . I pressed on and by the time 10.7 was out my issues were resolved.

I look foward to trying 10.9 out tonight :)

That's weird, I liked 10.4, it seemed to be the best for me till.... 10.8 and Im having nothing but good luck using them. 10.9 I just installed and nada, no problems at all. Im going to run some mark benches to compair 10.8 to 10.9.

Im sure you used EROCKERS guide to do a proper un and new Install:cool:

It is weird and frustrating. Yes, I did follow erocker's guide. Obviously user error cannot be discounted, but I successfully reinstalled 10.4. With so many people providing positive feedback there is clearly some sort of issue with my particular set up, but I have no idea what's going on - I have tried 10.6 and 10.9 and immediately returned to 10.4 in both instances.

That's what I find most driver issues are, that or dodgy cards.

No worries man. Driver updates are optional. Not mandatory in most instances. Plus ever since 10.4 there really hasn't been any MAJOR upgrades. In other words you aint missing anything. :toast:

Honestly I just update mine due to my OCD. No other reason.

Yeah, I have more or less settled on 10.4 - they have worked perfectly from the outset. Later on I might try overwriting 10.4 directly rather than using erocker's guide to see if that makes any difference (although I used the guide to initially install 10.4 without any problems) and I'll also try to ensure that I choose Spanish for the driver installation wizard - my OS is Spanish and I noticed text corruption (words with accents) on 10.6 and 10.9 in the ATI registration window that pops up at the start. I don't think that either of these approaches will fix things, but I have no other ideas. It may simply be a case that drivers subsequent to 10.4 fix things for a majority of users but somehow and in some way conflict with something in my system. In any event, as you have said, it's not really something to worry about, given that 10.4 is working fine. I would worry if future drivers actually provided something substantial rather than a few extra FPS.

Screenshot 10.4

Screenshot 10.9

Namslas90

That looks like the same error I get if I remove ATI.ACE. when cleaning old ATI drivers. Don't remove ATI.ACE.

Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T v2
Cooling Noctua D-14
Memory OCZ Gold 1600
Case Lian Li PC-B25F
Audio Device(s) N/A
That looks like the same error I get if I remove ATI.ACE. when cleaning old ATI drivers. Don't remove ATI.ACE.

Thanks for replying.

It is possible that I removed it during a manual remove, but the last time I tried I simply overwrote the installed driver, found the same issues and returned to 10.4,which fixed everything. Doesn't that rule out ATI.ACE as the guilty party, I mean, ATI's uninstall wizzard wouldn't remove it when removing 10.4, would it?

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Processor E8400 @ 3.80Ghz > Q9650 3.60Ghz
Motherboard Maximus Formula
Cooling D5, 7/16" ID Tubing, Maze4 with Fuzion CPU WB
Memory XMS 8500C5D @ 1066MHz
Video Card(s) HD 2900 XT 858/900 to 4870 to 5870 (Keep Vreg area clean)
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Audio Device(s) X-fi Plantinum
Power Supply Silencer 750
Software XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7
Benchmark Scores This varies from one driver to another.
Try going: ATI\Support\10-9_vista_win7_dd_ccc_enu\Config\installmanger.cfg
edit it and change WorkaroundInstall=false to WorkaroundInstall=true
Save and then uninstall your current driver then reboot. Then try installing Cat 10.9.

Sidenote:
Before doing that go to Device Manager, Click on View and choose "Show Hidden Devices"
Go down to Non-Plug and Play Drivers. Provide me the 1st 3 entries (or provide me a pic).

Last edited:
Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T v2
Cooling Noctua D-14
Memory OCZ Gold 1600
Case Lian Li PC-B25F
Audio Device(s) N/A
Try going: ATI\Support\10-9_vista_win7_dd_ccc_enu\Config\installmanger.cfg
edit it and change WorkaroundInstall=false to WorkaroundInstall=true
Save and then uninstall your current driver then reboot. Then try installing Cat 10.9.

Sidenote:
Before doing that go to Device Manager, Click on View and choose "Show Hidden Devices"
Go down to Non-Plug and Play Drivers. Provide me the 1st 3 entries (or provide me a pic).

Is this what you wanted?

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
It looks like you do have amdkmdag. You can uninstall that once you uninstall your drivers. However, once you do install Cat 10.9 and reboot you may need to reboot again to get it to show up. My thinking is that there maybe a conflict with it preventing you from install current driver. BTW, they are using new vc redistributed so "select all" hit. And make sure that it's selected but gray out. Once you start the process it should be the first thing you see installed. If not just go to ATI\Support\10-9_vista_win7_dd_ccc_enu\Packages\Apps\VC10RT\vcredist\setup.exe and install it from there after reboot then reboot again.

Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T v2
Cooling Noctua D-14
Memory OCZ Gold 1600
Case Lian Li PC-B25F
Audio Device(s) N/A
It looks like you do have amdkmdag. You can uninstall that once you uninstall your drivers. However, once you do install Cat 10.9 and reboot you may need to reboot again to get it to show up. My thinking is that there maybe a conflict with it preventing you from install current driver. BTW, they are using new vc redistributed so "select all" hit. And make sure that it's selected but gray out. Once you start the process it should be the first thing you see installed. If not just go to ATI\Support\10-9_vista_win7_dd_ccc_enu\Packages\Apps\VC10RT\vcredist\setup.exe and install it from there after reboot then reboot again.

I'll fiddle about and see if you're on to something. Thanks for that.

System Name 2K Gamer
Processor AMD 8370 @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard ASUS Pro Gaming / Aura 970
Cooling Corsair H60 AIO
Memory 16GB G. Skill RipJaw @ 1600MHZ
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP! GTX 1070
Storage Samsung 600 Gig HDD (Raid 0 @ 7,500) / WD 1TB Blue @ 7,200 / PNY 128 GB SSD For Linux
Display(s) 27'' ASUS 144MHZ G-SYNC Read 1400p Gaming Monitor / 23'' LG LCD Flatron W2361VG 1080p @ 50,000:1
Case NZXT Source 530
Audio Device(s) Onboard 7.1 HD Realtek
Power Supply 750w Corsair HX
Mouse Cougar Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Saitek Eclipse
Software Windows 10 64bit Education Edition

Mine crashed the other day after installing ATI 10.9. I got the BSOD upon startup, however I unistalled via Drive Sweeper in Safe Mode, and reinstalled it again, and voila--it works now. I knew it was going to be a problem the first time I installed it because after installation it didn't ask for reboot and my crossfire wouldn't turn on.

Did you choose 'custom' settings when you install it instead of express?

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Mine crashed the other day after installing ATI 10.9. I got the BSOD upon startup, however I unistalled via Drive Sweeper in Safe Mode, and reinstalled it again, and voila--it works now. I knew it was going to be a problem the first time I installed it because after installation it didn't ask for reboot and my crossfire wouldn't turn on.

Did you choose 'custom' settings when you install it instead of express?

Yes I did install Cat 10.9 using custom. However, you may need to manually install C++ redistributed 2010 though.

Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T v2
Cooling Noctua D-14
Memory OCZ Gold 1600
Case Lian Li PC-B25F
Audio Device(s) N/A
Summary: EastCoast suggested 10.9a), a hotfix that according to ATI is only for 4850 x2 and 4870 x2, and which they do not officially support...

In any event, EastCoast was right: 10.9a) resolved just about everything and certainly everything relating to the initial resolution., hopefully 10.10 official drivers will incorporate this hotfix.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Summary: EastCoast suggested 10.9a), a hotfix that according to ATI is only for 4850 x2 and 4870 x2, and which they do not officially support...

In any event, EastCoast was right: 10.9a) resolved just about everything and certainly everything relating to the initial resolution., hopefully 10.10 official drivers will incorporate this hotfix.

10.9a is not just the hotfix for 4-series Multigpu...it also has flash tweaks for all gpus, and some other stuff.

■ATI Radeon™ HD 4870 X2 and ATI Radeon HD 4850 X2 series of products use both Graphics Processing Units (GPU) for high performance
■Intermittent hangs with Pop Cap games in a system with an ATI Radeon series graphics card installed
■High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) overscan / underscan settings are restored upon system reboot

Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T v2
Cooling Noctua D-14
Memory OCZ Gold 1600
Case Lian Li PC-B25F
Audio Device(s) N/A
10.9a is not just the hotfix for 4-series Multigpu...it also has flash tweaks for all gpus, and some other stuff.

I know that now, but that's not what ATI prints in black and white, I was drawing attention to that.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Unfortunately they are at least a month ahead. So there maybe another hotfix called Cat 10.10a. So wait before updating to official Cat 10.10 (at least 24 hours) to see if there is another hotfix and use that. The real fix may not show up until Cat 10.11. Unless those fixes are specifically written in the release notes of Cat 10.10.