• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Adv of Dual core vs Single core.

macbeth

What are the advantage of dual core over single core? Will i see much performance gain? If so how much performance gain? Double the preformcance or just abit faster. And what kind of task or application benefit from dual core. Most important of all will dual core benefit gaming?

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
macbeth said:
What are the advantage of dual core over single core? Will i see much performance gain? If so how much performance gain? Double the preformcance or just abit faster. And what kind of task or application benefit from dual core. Most important of all will dual core benefit gaming?

If I believe rightly no games support dual threading at the moment so Dual Core CPU's are wasted on gaming. I opted for the Athlon 64 3700+ for my gaming system instead of the AMD X2 3800+ because of this. But you do get more points in 3DMark06 with a Dual Core CPU because it supports dual threading (but who cares really!)

Dual Core CPU's are better for multi-tasking (ie running more programs at once) and Dual Core is more future proof than Single Core because no doubt games and programs will support dual threading before long (IMO)

I hope this helps :)

Alec§taar

Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
Processor DualCore AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ (o/c 2801mhz STABLE (Ketxxx, POGE, Tatty One, ME))
Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium (PCIe x16, x4, x1)
Cooling PhaseChange Coolermaster CM754/939 (fan/heatsink), Thermalright heatspreaders + fan built on (RAM)
Memory 512mb PC-3200 DDR400 (set DDR-33 for o/c) by Corsair (matched pair, 2x256mb) 200.1/200mhz
Video Card(s) BFG GeForce 7900 GTX OC 512mb GDDR3 ram (o/c manually to 686 core/865 memory) - PhaseChange cooled
Storage Dual "Raptor X" 16mb 10krpm/RAID 0 Promise EX8350 x4 PCIe 128mb & Intel IO chip/CENATEK RocketDrive
Display(s) SONY 19" Trinitron MultiScan 400ps 1600x1200 75hz refresh 32-bit color
Case Antec Super-LanBoy (aluminum baby-tower w/ lower front & upper rear cooling exhaust fans)
Audio Device(s) RealTek AC97 onboard mobo stereo sound (Altec Lansing ACS-45 speakers - 10 yrs. still running!)
Power Supply Antec 500w ATX 2.0 "SmartPower" powersupply
Software Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully patched, & massively tuned/tweaked to-the-max (plus latest drivers)
Quite a lot of advantages, mainly performance oriented

macbeth said:
What are the advantage of dual core over single core?

Well, we have to start out w/ how OS run programs, & on Windows? The "smallest atomic unit of execution" is a "thread" (even Linux/UNIX & other OS shifted to this, vs. process forks for instance)... which is, in & of itself, a "lightweight" child process of a parent one (main thread).

This paradigm is "cheaper", resources-wise, for the OS to use, than forking entire process (as UNIX did for years).

That said - if you open up taskmgr.exe (taskmanager), & go to its PROCESS tab, & then its VIEW menu, SELECT COLUMNS submenu, tick off the THREADS column as visible.

You SHOULD note, that a GOOD 90-100% of what you're running uses 2-N threads... which is good, because modern OS' process scheduling portions of their kernels' can take threads (child ones) & spin them off to a least used processor/cpu, getting MORE done @ once (think of it as picking up cards that are scattered with one hand, vs. 2).

This shows you that the OS is ready, as well as most of the programs you run no doubt (most will bear more than 1 single thread, odds are).

Therefore, you don't REALLY need SetProcessAffinity (for single threaded code to run specifically on a certain CPU) or SetThreadMaskAffinity (for multithreaded code to do the same) type EXPLICIT smp-ready API calls usage (this has its overheads too, on init. load, detecting CPU's - but less later because it does not stress the process scheduler to send code to CPU's)... the process scheduler will send threads to the LEAST used CPU when needed, getting MORE done @ once per CPU cycle.

macbeth said:
Will i see much performance gain? If so how much performance gain? Double the preformcance or just abit faster. And what kind of task or application benefit from dual core. Most important of all will dual core benefit gaming?

It will get you gains, in that MAINLY, you will be able to multitask a LOT better! BUT, also at the individual APPLICATION level too, if threads are used right (again, the Quake 4 SMP example... it's OUTSTANDING!)

(E.G.-> Right now, I am watching WinTV32, recompiling a Delphi app, surfing here talking to you, & running 22 other process as smooth as glass all the while (including SETI@Home @ HIGH CPU priority across two diff. CPU's via Affinity settings via taskmgr.exe)).

I have been up to 5 times that amount in process' running, & Dual or more/SMP (& to an extent HyperThreaded rigs even by Intel) run a lot "smoother" multitasking than single CPU rigs do...

Another one, one you MAY appreciate more, is Quake 4 SMP! It has shown up to 87% gains vs. running std. Quake 4 single-threaded model...

APK

P.S.=> I've been using Dual CPU/SMP machines since, oh, the Pentium I days (started out with Pentium I 233mmx's) & have had them ever since thru every OS & processor generation... & I've been writing multithreaded code since 1996 or so. It's ALL in how efficiently you design using threads, some things however, are NOT meant for it & are too "linear" in nature to benefit from them, e.g.:

A=A+B
B=A-1
C=A

B can't complete itself, until it gets A's result (&, vice-a-versa, + all the way to C result too, may not be BEST example, but point is here)...

This is not a case where I would put A's & B's code on diff. threads to get C... because A has to wait on B, etc. - et all...

Commonly shared data is another - something called a "race condition" can result if you put 2 threads onto the same datablock to process, so you have to watch it.

It's "better" to do 2 - N DIFFERENT tasks with diff. data - as in the Quake 4 SMP example, I would wager they put Sound processing on 1 thread, the main body thread is the game animation loop on its own thread, & networking code on yet another thread for example... safe & there is little arguing with the results (up to 87% increases!!!).

Above all - Multiple thread code is better on SMP/Dual or more CPU systems, & actually has MORE OVERHEADS on it on single cpu rigs, & runs SLOWER on them because of it!

However, again, do note - most of what you run in APPS, and certainly your OS (Linux, Unix, Windows, all ready for it now)? IS MULTITHREADED & has been for years... taskmgr.exe above can & should have showed you this, & if done right? The Quake 4 SMP gains (up to 87%, which IS huge imo) certainly does... apk

Last edited:
M

markkleb

Alec, I am a pretty bright guy but everytime I read one of your posts I feel stupid, LOL

Basically you say dual core rules! Right?

Alec§taar

Processor DualCore AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ (o/c 2801mhz STABLE (Ketxxx, POGE, Tatty One, ME))
Cooling PhaseChange Coolermaster CM754/939 (fan/heatsink), Thermalright heatspreaders + fan built on (RAM)
Memory 512mb PC-3200 DDR400 (set DDR-33 for o/c) by Corsair (matched pair, 2x256mb) 200.1/200mhz
Video Card(s) BFG GeForce 7900 GTX OC 512mb GDDR3 ram (o/c manually to 686 core/865 memory) - PhaseChange cooled
Storage Dual "Raptor X" 16mb 10krpm/RAID 0 Promise EX8350 x4 PCIe 128mb & Intel IO chip/CENATEK RocketDrive
Display(s) SONY 19" Trinitron MultiScan 400ps 1600x1200 75hz refresh 32-bit color
Case Antec Super-LanBoy (aluminum baby-tower w/ lower front & upper rear cooling exhaust fans)
Audio Device(s) RealTek AC97 onboard mobo stereo sound (Altec Lansing ACS-45 speakers - 10 yrs. still running!)
Software Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully patched, & massively tuned/tweaked to-the-max (plus latest drivers)
Thanks!

markkleb said:
Alec, I am a pretty bright guy but everytime I read one of your posts I feel stupid, LOL

First of all: Thanks for the compliment - you must be one of the FEW that can stand their length, lol!

(I get a LOT of slack for this online @ various forums' (from folks lacking PhD's in english no less, lol, you know - human grammar/spelling checker types), & yes - even in the workplace, but imo? The "devil's in the details" & you miss just 1? You can blow a great deal of things in this field... & I will NEVER go for the current trend in corporate america of "write like ADD people need to see", no way (lack of detail & JUST GIVING AN ANSWER TO FOLKS is not enough imo, educate them as well so they can understand things, so next round? They know what to do, themselves, on a particular process or hassle with data))

Secondly: Ah, man... believe you me - There's guys out there that "dust my doors" in this field! And in specific areas of concentration? CERTAINLY!

See imo, nobody is "uber computer god" first of all, as there is areas that someone just has you in, specific areas of expertise... & it just comes with time/experience.

Stick around this field long enough, keep current (hard as heck to do imo, changes SO fast) you'll pass me by one day, this IS inevitable (as I am transitioning to mgt. soon, & will not be able to keep as "current" as I have now, which is FAIRLY so in coding)...

Besides - imo @ least, nowadays in THIS field & others? Heck, we all stand on the "shoulders of giants" nowadays, imo! WE learn from others...

Always keep in mind - tools may change, but principles of GOOD design, NEVER do & they work toolset to toolset for development, & across diff. OS types largely too!

Try to keep "well rounded" too: i.e.-> Not TOO much on coding, not TOO much on hardware or softwares, OR too much on network engineering, as they ALL "interrelate" & it's best to have a SOLID understanding of each...

This assumes you want a career around this field though - & that's my opinion though, they vary!

markkleb said:
Basically you say dual core rules! Right?

Depends... see my P.S. above!

However, for the MOST part?

Yea, if done RIGHT??

I'd say so! At BOTH an "overall" OS process performance level (due to multitasking being better & having more CPU's to use to do this & using them via threads & the function of modern process' schedulers, OR explicit SMP related API calls in the app itself) AND at an individual process' level!

E.G. of that last one? Heck - look @ the gains John Carmack (one of my tech/intellectual heros, dwarves me in programming skills, & so do guys @ MS like Anders Heijelsberg, my other 'tech hero' (designer of Delphi my fav. dev tool, & Visual Studio 2003-2005, my 2nd fav)) got out of Quake 4 in its SMP build:

UP TO 87%... that, is HUGE gain!

APK

P.S.=> IF smp wasn't better, overall? I wouldn't have been on it, using it, since 1996 & the Pentium I family... apk

Last edited:

Alec§taar

HookeyStreet said:
If I believe rightly no games support dual threading at the moment so Dual Core CPU's are wasted on gaming.

You may be right for the MOST part currently (when thinking about a SINGLE process, but not overall & I will explain why)!

However, you might want to "rethink" this as time passes w/ individual apps, like games, but ALSO, the overall "speed/efficiency" of your OS & all of its other concurrently running processes'!

(Try to think of it like how folks move pagefile.sys off to other disks (another "hand" to help in overall faster processing of work/tasks @ hand)):

It's no longer true that games aren't SMP ready, & hasn't been for awhile: E.G. -> see my posts above, & especially about Quake 4 SMP ("A look @ the future, & the FUTURE IS NOW!")

:)

* Not busting on your either, as it is fairly new as well & you simply are NOT aware of it yet is all, & now ya are... but the gains? INCREDIBLE! Up to 87%... at the individual app level, no less!

(Now, also, circling back to what I stated initially? Think about this - IF your other apps are capable of being run across diff. processors if they bear 2-N threads, that means the OS can "intelligently" make a process "hog" 1 of the N processes', & run the others & the OS itself on yet another cpu! ALL survives & runs...)

This above in parenthesis illustrates WHY you can run a process in REALTIME cpu process priority on an SMP/Dual or more CPU rig... where it locks up a single cpu rig, & is NOT recommended on them...

This can be done on an SMP rig: You can set a single process to REALTIME cpu priority via taskmgr.exe process tab rightclick Set Priority menu, & the OS + other apps will run on the other cpu's surviving & multitasking smoothly (when the REALTIME cpu priority set app will take up the entire CPU it is on if set REALTIME).

Better multitasking results... faster overall operations (much as how programs like Ms-Project work, via the Gantt chart process of making an OVERALL project run faster, by multitasking in others during its comrades running concurrently as well during various parts of their stages).

APK

P.S.=> There ARE others as well, not just IDSoftware, who have accomplished this & others on the forums here mentioned a couple in the past since the time I have been around here... iirc, CounterStrike may have one, but don't quote me on that! apk

Last edited:

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
Alec§taar said:
Not true - see my posts above, & especially about Quake 4 SMP (a look @ the future, & the FUTURE IS NOW!)

* Not busting on your either, as it is fairly new as well & you simply are NOT aware of it yet is all, & now ya are... but the gains? INCREDIBLE! Up to 87%...

Thanx for correcting me on that m8 :)

{JNT}Raptor

System Name Ummmm...Mine
Processor I7 920 @ 4.2ghz @ 1.29v's load
Motherboard ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
Cooling Custom 1/2 inch H20
Memory 3x2gb Patriot Sector 7 @2008Mhz 27-9-11-9 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 580 SC 900/1800/1090
Storage 1-Mushkin 60gb SSD 1-500GB WD Black and 2-1TB 32mb WD Black
Display(s) 25 inch Hanns-G 2ms
Case Custom
Audio Device(s) Turtle Beach Catalina
Power Supply Corsair AX850 Pro Series-Modular
Software All Kinds...and then some.
Benchmark Scores 3dMark 11 P7066 Compare Link- http://3dmark.com/3dm11/251153
Dual rules.....period....the advantage In everyday windows will be evident as XP and more than likely future OS Vista are "Multi-Threaded"....a nearly 100% no slowdown computing expierience can be yours.....and on July 24th.....the Entire Line of Duals from AMD will getting Chopped In prices....X2 3800 for $169......theres no way you can NOT justify spending the little extra for a system that simply won't slow down under everyday use.

Theres a Few games out Utilizing Multi-Thread abilities......Oblivion has hidden "Multi-Thread" settings that you simply have to setup In the INI file.....after doing that.....she'll run even better....trust me. :)

I've Encoded DVD's on Core 0 and played UT04 on Core 1.....Seemless......and the Movie Kicked Ass as well. :D

With the prices of Duals dropping soon......there Is no Excuse good enough to not get Into one.

Azn Tr14dZ

Processor AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Motherboard DFI LanParty nf4 Ultra-D
Cooling Thermaltake Big Typhoon
Memory 2x512MB GeIL
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon X800XL
Storage 2x80GB Western Digital
Display(s) HP vs17
Case SuperTalent
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster
Power Supply Ultra X-Finity 500 Watt
Dual-core will be good in the future. I just ordered an AMD Athlon 64 3200+, but when Vista and DX10 come out, I'll get the X2 3800+.

Call of Duty 2 and Quake IV also support dual-core processors.

PVTCaboose1337

Graphical Hacker
System Name Whim
Processor Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 2gb
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD 2TB Black
Display(s) Shimian QH270 (1440p), Asus VE228 (1080p)
Case Cooler Master 430 Elite
Audio Device(s) Onboard > PA2V2 Amp > Senn 595's
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Software Windows 8.1 (Tweaked)
When Vista comes out, It'll be good. When it does, will the games be dual core compliant? If so, dual core is reasonable. Put it this way:

If you spend $20 dollars on the X2, you have a processor that lasts longer, and to stay ahead for so cheap is good. So yes.

{JNT}Raptor

System Name Ummmm...Mine
Case Custom
Azn Tr14dZ said:
when Vista and DX10 come out, I'll get the X2 3800+.

I'm running the New Beta now on my X2 3800+ with 2gig of memory...Very nice.....few Issues with the new UAP service...honestly....It'll be great for the Novice user to keep them safe from themselves until they gain some knowledge....but to the Hardcore control fanatic......At least with this newest Beta....you'll have to tune It to your liking...or Kill It off entirely....Finding protection soft to use won't be as easy....especially If your set on your own stuff.....but....getting It to work Is the fun of It anyway.

UT04
F.E.A.R.
Serious Sam 2..all play flawlessly

Yet to check Oblivion...SOF2 Is giving me some crap about no suitable OpenGL driver found.....gotta do some digging on that yet.....but overall a nice Beta to play with. :)

Azn Tr14dZ

Memory 2x512MB GeIL
Display(s) HP vs17
Case SuperTalent
Yeah, I admit, dual-core is nice to have, but I myself won't be getting it till I can see more stuff supporting it, but I'll get it eventually though. If it's only a little bit more for dual-core, go for it. You'll be ready for Vista and it's apps when it comes out. When Vista does come out, all I'll be getting is 1 more GB of memory, and SLI DX10, if dual-core is better for it, that too.

KennyT772

System Name Raptor
Processor Intel E8400 Wolfdale @3600
Motherboard Asus P5Q-Pro LGA775
Cooling Zalman CNPS9700
Memory 1024mbx2 Crucial Ballistix DDR800
Video Card(s) XFX 9600GT
Storage Seagate 7200.11 500GB
Display(s) Acer AL2216Wbd and Acer AL1717
Case Gigabyte 3DAurora Black
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer Faitality
Power Supply OCZ GameXStream 500w
plain and simple
in gaming a 3700+ single core will always beat a dual core 3800+
once games are multi threaded the 3800+ will win.
similerly clocked single and dual cores have very little difference in windows and general programs as 90% of todays software is single threaded.
this will change and dual will be much faster.
get dual but you will be paying extra if u want the same fps as a single core

macbeth

However, again, do note - most of what you run in APPS, and certainly your OS (Linux, Unix, Windows, all ready for it now)? IS MULTITHREADED & has been for years... taskmgr.exe above can & should have showed you this, & if done right? The Quake 4 SMP gains (up to 87%, which IS huge imo) certainly does... apk

in gaming a 3700+ single core will always beat a dual core 3800+
once games are multi threaded the 3800+ will win.
similerly clocked single and dual cores have very little difference in windows and general programs as 90% of todays software is single threaded.

So will there be much gain in performance running OS (windowsXP) in dual core. If so how much performance gain will there be? And does it justify the cost of al dual core processor. I know prices are coming down but not yet.

I am very confuse here. Basicly only multithread will gain in dual core but not single thread? And windows xp is single or multithread?

System Name Not named
Processor Intel 8700k @ 5Ghz
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Assassin II
Memory 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15
Video Card(s) Zotac 1080 Ti AMP EXTREME
Storage Samsung 960 PRO 512GB
Display(s) 24" Dell IPS 1920x1200
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Watt Fully Modular
Well do you plan on using the processor you plan on buying for the next few years? If so you probably want to go for a dual core solution as the benifits for them will increase as time goes on while single core processors may eventually disappear altogether

{JNT}Raptor

System Name Ummmm...Mine
Case Custom
macbeth said:
And windows xp is single or multithread?

XP Is Multi-Threaded....and does run smoother IMO on Dual cores.

Imagine all your processes...and afew apps.....running across 2 cores Instead of one......It has to be smoother....and It Is.

And magibeg hit It on the Head......Multi-Core whether In Dual Triple or Quad design Is the Future......with the price drops In Dual core comming on July 24th.....you could very well be seeing the end of Single core......I mean common......you can get a PentiumD Dual 2.66gig CPU right now for UNDER $110,.....and the prices are only going to continue to fall...the X2 3800+ when Intoduced was $450+(I know...I bought one)....July 24th....going for $169.....With price drops like this.....There won't be many......If ANY reasons Not to go With Dual/Multi Cored CPU's.

My 2c's.

Azn Tr14dZ

Memory 2x512MB GeIL
Display(s) HP vs17
Case SuperTalent
For now I have a 3200+, but later on, maybe Christmas or b-day, Ima get a X2 3800+. Socket 939 btw.

Alec§taar

Azn Tr14dZ said:
Yeah, I admit, dual-core is nice to have, but I myself won't be getting it till I can see more stuff supporting it

Like I said earlier? Open up taskmgr.exe, go to its PROCESSES TAB.

Then, use taskmgr.exe's VIEW menu, SELECT COLUMNS submenu...

Select THREADS specifically.

You SHOULD see a good 90-100% (I actually run NO single threaded stuff here typically/usually, all the time is why) of what you run IS "SMP-ready"!

That's simply because of modern OS' process schedulers being able to send diff. threads of execution (including child threads of main threads of execution in single apps) to diff. CPU's, if they are present & especially to the LEAST "saturated" (used % of cpu-cycles available that is) cpu!

* So, in essence? Well, the day you're waiting for??

It's been here since, imo, @ least 2001... this examination as I illustrate it above SHOULD show this to you, since most of what you are running 24/7 is multithreaded, odds are.

APK

P.S.=> Speaking strictly about gaming though? You do have a point!

Yes, more SMP ready games need to be made, & made like IDSoftware managed in Quake 4 SMP (up to 87% gains)...

However, they are out there, & that's not the ONLY 1 available now (others here pointed out other examples of it being done to games other than IDSoftware's works also)...

Still, do think about this:

With an SMP/DualCore rig? Heck - Even your SINGLE THREADED games can gain!

Simply because on an SMP rig, You CAN set that single threaded game to REALTIME cpu priority believe it or not (taking up that CPU entirely to itself), & NOT lockup your rig...

The OS & other apps will survive on the 2nd or more CPU's, due to process schedulers moving threads about as is needed to diff. cpu's! apk

Last edited:
System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
u are gonna have to fork out for enough memory if u really want to use the other rather expensive components your system consists of to the full..

till u do i cant see much point in having it all..

trog

Alec§taar

Assuming you are addressing me, though off-topic

First, see subject line/title, & read on:

trog100 said:
u are gonna have to fork out for enough memory if u really want to use the other rather expensive components your system consists of to the full..

Explain why you state this - where is my setup & memory amount problematic in your point-of-view? I don't have any hassles doing anything I do here on my system, as is, & I use it in a variety of capacities from work, to fun.

trog100 said:
till u do i cant see much point in having it all..

trog

Oh, I dunno about that... I'll wait to see what you think is "wrong" w/ only having 512mb of RAM here, & you may not be aware of my placement of my pagefile.sys & where it is located... which works excellently for Virtual Memory performance/speed (because, it's ALL "virtual memory" as far as the OS is concerned - your memory in RAM sticks, or your pagefile.sys)...

APK

Last edited:
System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
yes i should have looked a little closer at your ramdisk..

how much was it and does it work as well as bigger ramsticks would.. as a quite clearly needed part of your virtual memory system that is.. i can see the other benifits..

trog

Alec§taar

trog100 said:
yes i should have looked a little closer at your ramdisk..

how much was it and does it work as well as bigger ramsticks would.. as a quite clearly needed part of your virtual memory system that is.. i can see the other benifits..

trog

It's going to be even better/faster, once a new model of Pci-Express x1 slotted RamDisk called the DDRDrive releases...

* Supposedly coming this year sometime, & that's all I know on that account...

APK

P.S.=> Faster (in burst most likely): IMO, as it is a higher bandwidth bus type, vs. the PCI 2.2 slotted solid-state disk type I use now (which has PC-133 SDRAM on it (2gb))...

Plus, that DDRDrive uses a faster RAM type used in DDR2 type memory iirc, about its specs... Looking forward to it!

Mainly, so I can put my CENATEK unit back into where it came from - my old former #1 rig (P4 3.2ghz/WD Raptor 36gb 10k rpm/GeForce 6800 GT OC/512mb SDRAM) so it can be "all it can be" again too... apk

Alec§taar

Photograph... pictures say a 1,000 words

* Now, imo? That's GOOD stuff!

APK

dual core processors f'ing rock

if they suck so bad at gaming, why are only noobs saying such things?

are there any disadvantages of having a dual core processor? no.

taogeh

Processor P4 930 Dual core 3.0
Motherboard asus p5wd2 premium
Cooling watercooled= cpu, gpu, hard drive
Memory Corsair 5400 512 x2 x2 2 gig total xms twins leds
Video Card(s) X700 pro
Storage 10000 raptors
Display(s) trinitron 20 inch
Case Koolance
Audio Device(s) realtech
Power Supply vantex 520
Software XP pro 64 bit addition
That Ram Thing is TOO COOL

Wow thats all too cool ram set there,running dual core no diffrence as for what i can see had p4 3.4 single sold it too buy the dual core 64 bit 3.0 load times are not nearly as fast because front side bus restricted over clock due to over heating however I am water cooled ,the 64 bit made a huge difference in every way 2 gig ram seems thats just enough to run the extra core took 1 gig out loaned it to a friend and hardly anything worked anywhere near where it was ,so I had to get the ram back,now everything running smooth again,wishing i went for gig pairs instead of 512 pairs now,ohh well anyhow i would take note that the dual cores do need the ram power. hey if it seems like hey this guy doesn't know anything your Right never tok any classes just looking at stuff like these posts here .
I need That RAM thing Now .