• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PCI-Express Scaling, redux?

velocd

In reply to the article concerning PCIe bandwidth from Mar 26th, 2010:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GTX_480_PCI-Express_Scaling/

This article has been the only one I've found searching Google that adequately tests PCIe scaling.

My question is about GTX 580 SLI. This review concerned a single GTX 480, but as lemonadesoda and Formula350 discussed on its thread, I'm not convinced SLI has the same yields.

lemonadesoda said:
This review is very interesting, but what it misses in the discussion is the interaction of PCI-E bandwidth, memory bandwidth, and chipset. The reason is that x16 2.0 is getting very close to memory bandwidths, give or take all the overhead and data marshalling.

W1z is getting some difference in performance on his highly OC rig where memory bandwidth >> PCI-E bandwidth, so that it is the PCI lane that is causing a potential bottleneck.

BUT for a regular DDR2 or DDR3 non-OC extreme edition, the difference would be much smaller still. So while it is nice to see OC figures to the max, it may also misrepresent the true behaviour for the regular user.

Furthermore, if you have SLI crossfire system, the results WILL NOT scale in the same way. Why? Because the bandwidth needed to fill 2x PCI-x16 2.0 lanes simultaneously is getting pretty close to memory bandwidth, esp. with all the data-marshalling going on in the chipset.

I would like to encourage w1z to do a follow-up to his otherwise most excellent review:

1./ I would really like to see the results at stock.
2./ Do a test with SLI/crossfire. The whole x8 x16 discussion is moot without putting into real context. The results will not scale in the same way as the single card set up... so therefore the results of the single card setup are irrelevant to the discussion about SLI/Crossfire performance under x4, x8 or x16
3./ By all means, do a sensitivity analysis on how OC'ing improves the results, or indeed worsens them from a relative perspective
4./ But also see how the results change by increasing/decreasing memory bandwidth by dropping a memory channel or two
5./ As 1 but do the test on a similarly clocked dual xeon system with memory channel bandwidth to the max, and see how much the results pull away compared with 1.

I think the results 5 vs. 1 vs. the original would be a very interesting comparative and help enthusiasts see the value of dual xeons vs single CPU vs x4 x8 x16 vs. SLI/Crossfire.

A follow-up article for the GTX 580 under SLI would be awesome. Regardless, what does anyone think the performance difference is between two GTX 580 in SLI @ 8x compared to 16x? I've been looking at P67 motherboards and Gigabyte's UD7 is the only one that does SLI @ 16x.

System Name The wifes worst enemy
Processor i5-9600k
Motherboard Asrock z390 phantom gaming 4
Cooling water
Memory 16gb G.skill ripjaw DDR4 2400 4X4GB 15-15-15-35-2T
Video Card(s) Asrock 5600xt phantom gaming 6gb 14gb/s
Storage crucial M500 120GB SSD, Pny 256GB SSD, seagate 750GB, seagate 2TB HDD, WD blue 1TB 2.5" HDD
Display(s) 27 inch samsung @ 1080p but capable of much more ;)
Case Corsair AIR 540 Cube Mid tower
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply EVGA GQ1000W MODULAR
Mouse generic for now
Keyboard generic for now
Software gotta love steam, origin etc etc
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/philbrown_23/
i agree. if you looks 2-10% from X16 to X8 and lets say xfire/sli scales at 70% do the math the difference is more then normal cards with gddr5 at high clocks has insane bandwidth, hopefully pci-e 3.0 is backwards compatible i know at first they thought it wasnt going to be

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I'm not so sure that the bottleneck is coming for the PCI-E bus or somewhere else in the chipset.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
i'm considering revisiting this on p67 with both ati and nvidia cards. not soon, weeks