• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

sapphire x800se help!!!

Mome

Processor Core i7 950
Motherboard ASUS P6X58D-E
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems
Memory 9GB OCZ Platinum PC12800 CL7
Video Card(s) 2x Radeon HD5870 Crossfire
Storage 2x Mushkin I/O Series SSD 64GB + 2x Samsung F1 750GB
Display(s) Dell 2709W
Case Lianli PC90
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Enermax 1250W
Software Win 7 Pro 64
Maybe they are at the same price, now.
But I do have a SE and so I would like to know if VulkanBros was successfull with his Pro mod.
Then I would try it too

elka

question

VulkanBros said:
NO volt or pencil-mod.....I tried to "flash-back" my card.......
Well ...lets put it this way.....I am running with my old Club3D 9600 PRO card again....
.....anyone who would like to buy a "slightly" fried MSI X800SE card....??? :eek:
does it mean that your reflashing (back to X800SE original bios) was successfull but your card still was not working properly ?
Did you try before if your card is able to run with PRO's core and mem speed ?

thanks

eLKa

Mome

Processor Core i7 950
Display(s) Dell 2709W
Case Lianli PC90
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win 7 Pro 64
I wasn't able to wait for VulcanBros... ;)

Today I flashed my SE with a modified Pro Bios (12Pipes but Clocks at 425/400).
When I restarted after flashing I was happy, that there was a picture and that everything worked. Then, when booting Windows, a new graphics adapter was found...X800XT :confused: .
Then I started Atitool, but I still showed 8 Pipes... :mad:
After that I flashed the original Pro Bios, but it didn't make a difference, still 8 Pipes.
A disgusting result!

I think it's because of a Lasercut on my SE, but I thought, that this Lasercut would only cut 16 Pipes.

So I have to cope with 8 Pipes and a Core Speed of 570/590 ;)
But I'm also happy, that my card is still working...

mitsirfishi

System Name Lazy boh
Processor AMD X6 1090T @ 4ghz
Motherboard ASUS M4A89GTD PRO
Cooling TT FRIO
Memory Kingston HyperX 1600
Video Card(s) HD4870
Storage 60gb Ocz vertex 2 2x2TB 2x1TB 1x500GB
Display(s) 25.5" hanns G
Case Antec 1200 V1
Audio Device(s) onboard :P FTW
Power Supply Corsair TX750W v1
Software W7 64Bit
well from my experances i had a 9800se and unlocked it and clocked it to a 9800pro and the improvements was impressive but regardin the x800se it will either be a faulty pro or faulty x800 and all they do is clock it down and shut down the pipelines but u mayb lucky to unlock 4pipes but it depends if its agp or pci-e but if you dont have any sucess then just clock it up abit

Inteleron

the X800XL has been on my mind l8ly, it has 16 pipes 256mb gddr3, how come it performs lower than x800xt? could it be jsut becaue the clocks are slower? or its gpu is of different design? is it possible to make an x800xl as fast as an x800xt by overclocknig it?

mitsirfishi

System Name Lazy boh
Processor AMD X6 1090T @ 4ghz
Motherboard ASUS M4A89GTD PRO
Cooling TT FRIO
Memory Kingston HyperX 1600
Video Card(s) HD4870
Storage 60gb Ocz vertex 2 2x2TB 2x1TB 1x500GB
Display(s) 25.5" hanns G
Case Antec 1200 V1
Audio Device(s) onboard :P FTW
Power Supply Corsair TX750W v1
Software W7 64Bit
well to be honest the x800xl has the x850 features but for some wierd reasons it has its own wierd code name which does make it relate to either the x850 or x800 but the xl was made just be a raw performer at not to highly priced and the pcb is slightly different

Quazi

I think the reason V due was having issues was because of the clock speeds of the bios he flased it with. If he would have used rabit to lower the clock speeds to what his card could handle stable, then I believe he would have been alright.

Mome

Processor Core i7 950
Display(s) Dell 2709W
Case Lianli PC90
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win 7 Pro 64
the first Bios I flashed was changed with RaBit, but it didn't help either.

Processor X5470 @ 4.1
Motherboard Asus P5Q pro
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory 6GB corsair 1066
Video Card(s) HIS 6970
Display(s) 34" ultrawide
Case antec 700
Power Supply Corsiar 750 watt
Mouse Razer Taipan
Keyboard Razer Arctosa
Software Win 8.1 64 bit
Mome, Did you reinstall the ATI drivers? When I flashed to XT PE ATI Tool showed only 12 pipes but when I reinstalled there were 16. What BIOS did you use? It took an original Gigabyte XT PE BIOS to unlock my extra pipes. For some reason that bios completely replaced the original one thus unlocking the extras. No other one would do it. It also sounds like a laser cut issue. If you sucessfuly hardmod it you may get 12 pipes, however I’d do the BIOS first. Caution though XT PE speeds will have a high likelihood of causing lockups when windows loads so I’d down clock first thing until you know it’s stable. Happy modding!

Not only Gigabyte BIOS can override completely the pipe info which usualy remains unchanged useing the normal flashrom (atiflash) when flashing the BIOS on X800Pro ViVo's. You also can use modified flashrom to do that but the advantage of this method is that it is completely convertable. Read this:
http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/100 and be sure that you haven't got lasercut on the core - one or two (you have to remove the heatsink and to see). For BIOS editing on X800 serie use RaBit 1.7 and for flashing flashrom 2.37 or 2.40 with command line a:\flashrom -f -p 0 (zero not letter "o") biosname (max 8 symbols).sufix (.bin or .rom)

Probably you will not succeed with enabling of the remaining pipes on the newer X800se/pro cards and PCIx but there is no reason to don't even try.

Successfull modding.

Last edited:

Mome

Processor Core i7 950
Display(s) Dell 2709W
Case Lianli PC90
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win 7 Pro 64
I used a Sapphire X800Pro nonVIVo Bios, because I have a Sapphire X800SE.
And I do have reinstalled the drivers...
And the card doesn't produce higher Benchmark scores. So I'm sure it still has 8Pipes.

x800se_owner

Hi all, i also have that x800se card, and all i can say i am happy with it's performance, as it was the best bang for buckets on AGP in Germany.
Any other card are well above that 160€ or not even faster, or not availiable.
So even that said, i am interested by nature in unlocking the pipes on that card.

reading all that is stated here, i think that it should be posible to reach the goal of may be 12 pipes.

but even having laying around my former ti4280 vid card, i not want to lose my x800se.
So bevore i start flashing and moding (1,4v sounds nice to me) the holy shit out of my se, i have some questions to those who already have tried zthat.

1. is it possible to flash back the original x800se bios if problems occure?
For me the experiences of Vulkan let me assume that this won't work...

2. if i save my current bios with ATITool, ist that oky as a backup messure?
ore could it be posible that the so created bios file isn`t any good and i should use ATIflash or some other dos based BIOS tool.

3. If the Bios flashing goes wrong, is al wich has to be done a starting with an PCI card or flashing with an DOS boot disk, having some fancy autoexec. bat flashing comand on it?

So no we come to what i planed to do:

First i want to flash the Sapphire X800 Pro (AGP) 256 MB 475 450 Bios,
due to the lack of any x800 bios.
I think i will do that with atiflash 3.xx and the "new bios " option.
if possible to disable (may be rabit?) vivo funktion, the ATI X800 AIW 256 MB bios sounds good ideal to me, even if the glocks are a bit high (500 / 500
Samsung 2.0 ).

But i am loocking for an MSI x800 pro AGP Bios with 400 /450 and Samsung 2.0 ram.
As far as i know, the Sapphire x800se i have is produced by MSI (same red PCB, same layout, all the same even power con).

So if there are some stability probs, i woudn't hesitate to do the volt mode,
so no limit in this way.

At the moment the card is runing fine with 550 core /500 mem clock.
But if unlocking pipes will do, i think those large overclock's will gone, i think to avoid the voltmod at the first step it is better to underclock the card first with the aprobiate bios.
if i won`t be able to free the pipes, i will loock if there are some lasercut's to close.

Last edited:

Mome

Processor Core i7 950
Display(s) Dell 2709W
Case Lianli PC90
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win 7 Pro 64
as I said I flashed my SE.
There was no Problem with flashing the card.
You can save the Bios with Atitraytools (Atitool?), when editing it via RaBit you'll see it's the same as the Bios you can load down. But you can also save the Bios with Atiflash.
First I took a Pro Bios and changed the Core/Mem Speed down to the SE clocks, to avoid the accident of VulcanBros.
But with my card it didn't work.
But I'm looking forward to see your results :D .
Maybe I have found somebody who can connect my cuttet pipes. But this will cost money and has a high risk of killing the card...

x800se_owner

ok then i will try ist,
but have you ever tired to flash back again?
do you have set the -newbios option of the flash program?

I have loaded several x800 bioses and opend them with rabit,
then i saved the log and go throw the differenzes.
the most important thing that i could see was the ASIC Config.
it is obvious that this determin the number of pipes.
But to my supriese there are even differenzes between the Sapphire x800se and the MSi x800se, and that is what me makes a little bit confused, but ok it could be possible that there are different pipelines disabled, depending on the chips they have used.

I think if you flash with the new BIOS option, then the ASIC block will get flashed too, which indeed is probabely what we want do doo.

Can you tell me which BIOS from the dl page u used? and wat x800se you have, the MSI one or the Sapphire one?

Dont get me wrong, id on't want to know what label is there, i want to know wich color your card has, as stated above, the Sapphire are relabeled MSi.
But as there are different Bios i think it is best to lock at rabit's log, the interesting part is the ASIC Config at 0x7A= , which is 0x22 on the MSi and ATI one (like mine) and 0x20 for the Sapphire se card.
The thing is clear, if that is a difference in card ore chip layout, this is something we have to consider.
I think all we should do is to analyzing the differenzes in this section, may be we can decipher the code.
In my opinion flashing a completely diffrent BIOS could be realy the wrong way, but of course the easiest.

How is it possible to change the number of pipes using rabit? i'v never seen that option.

Last edited:

x800se_owner

So, i flashed the ATI.X800PRO.256.Samsung20_040719.bin bios to my x800se card altered to 425.25/ 398.99 clocks. After some thought's on risking my x800se, i hit the button: :cool: :eek:

ATIFLASH.EXE -newbios -f -p 0 ati800pm.rom

After rebooting, w2k rededected my x800se as x800xt.

ATI Tool dont showed me some more pipes, but 3dmar03 gives me about 7010 point with 425.25 /400.
So at the moment i think that there is no succes, but ok the card still do oc to 500/450 and gives me in that config 7800points in 3dmark03.
As i am running it with the stock cooler, and temp is going beyond the line with 83°C, i think i will not use this core overclock, until better cooling is there.

Interesting ist, that rabit states some interesting things:

Active pipelines: 8, GB_TILE_CONFIG = 0x00010017
MPP_TB_CONFIG = 0x01FF0000

This has not altered by the flash, so i think that there is an other thing wich will determin the amount of pipes.
And as far as i know, the new BIOS file was only around 55kb, whereas the used flash chip is staed as 64kb size.
So i think the pipe information are stored in that space.
But ok, the only card wich changed Pipes was vulkans, and this has not that good ending.
So at the moment i don't know if i stay with the new bios or revert back to the x800se one.
But i think at least it would be a good information, if i can do that, without frying the x800se card.
Then i would feel more pleasant during messing around with x800 Bioses.
Next step is to dismount the hs, and check if there are any lasercut in my chip.

x800se_owner

So today i locked under the hsf of my x800se card, an hey there are some laser cut.
But the other one i have senn is that there are some resistirs, and some free soldering plates, thus i thinkl 2 of the resistors could have placed to another configuration.
If someone could post some nice photos of an x800pro GPU, may be i find the right setting.
on the other hand, my chip is't labeld r420, it is lable x800se and that makes me a little bit confused.
ok making another printing is easy compared with setting up another chipproduktion....
I tried reconnecting the cut, but as my ssl are a little bit tried out, i think there are no proper contact, ore it just won't do the trick.

Mome

Processor Core i7 950
Display(s) Dell 2709W
Case Lianli PC90
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win 7 Pro 64
first of all were are you from? (I'm from Germany)
so you had the same experience as me...
My card is also from Sapphire (I could send you some pictures...).
So the Pro Bios I loaded from the Bios Database was a Sapphire X800 Pro nonVivo Bios.
The easiest thing to see if a bigger Bios fits is to look for the file size of the original Bios you saved with Atitraytools or with Atiflash. With my card, the file size was about 55KB, so I have a 56KB Bios and I would kill my card with a 66KB Bios...

Another question:
Whats the rest of your system?
With my System (look at my Sig) I break the 10000Points at 3DMark03 with graphics clock at 575/590. So I was surprised, that you're getting only 7800 Points.

x800se_owner

Yes i am from Germay too.
And yes my system is now (not with the ti4280 ;) ) badly limmited by my CPU. :mad: :cool:
But there are IMHO no way to go further with the sockel A.
I have her an Semperon 2000, may be i will chek out the mobile mod, as with mine i have no succes yet.
2200Mhz would be that what i think should be reachable, but more i think is in no way someting which will make sense, apparently if i conisder that an Asrock 939 mobo with sis chip will only cost me 55€+ the 100 venice.
May be the dual slot Asrock wit Ali Chip will be an option.
The a64 are so damed fast.....and ocing is so an pleasure...
My sys:
http://www.nethands.de/pys/show.php4?user=pcfreak2

x800se_owner

no, you dont kill your card with an 64kb one, the chip is 64kb.
I think may be in the left space, the pipe information could be stored.
the other thing is, as far as i know there is an other EEPROM, may be thy stored the asic config there.
But ok, if i got some nice Aceton to thin my SSL, i will trie the laser cut mod again.
I think at keast it should do somethin.
But of course, it is possible that ATi hase locked the information in the mentioned EEPROM, this would be not impossible to alter, but hey we have to know how.
All in all i am sure that the x800se and the non vivo's could be changed, but may be this is far beyound some easy biosflashing or hw hacking trick.
I think if someone skiled in this area would try it, may be with one ore two testcard's, he will find the trick.
this is comparable with intels PII, no hobbyist could crack that multi lock, but i have seen PII cores, which are modified with an simple litle microchip atached, and are selled in the far east with a huge margin.
But the fact that vulkan has managed it to show the pipes, i think it could be possible.
May be we are on the right way, but only some driver glitches make us stuck.
As far as i know, vulkano changed the device ID's bevore runing in thos problems, but at that moment he has the pipes.
may be was this only a side efeckt, and thus his card is brocken.

it is clear that at the moment i am not willing to brick my card, but some intelligent prepared things i will try.

Mome

Processor Core i7 950
Display(s) Dell 2709W
Case Lianli PC90
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win 7 Pro 64
I've got a great idea, because you are from Germany, too. 1 We could write in German (aber echt jetzt Junge ;) ) oder du schaust mal in den Thread hier rein. Da sind nämlich nochmehr leute die sich mit dem Pipe freischalten beschäftigen. Und der Sisko da könnte dir zur not deine auch entcutten, d.h. er könnte dir die Pipes wieder verbinden. Mein Name da dürfte nicht allzu schwer herauszufinden sein.

Aso und wenn du ganz günstig aufrüsten willst kannst du auch ein S754 Board mit Sempron 2600+/2800+ in Betracht ziehen... die gehen nämlich auch super zu ocen und sind nur minimal langsamer als die A64...

x800se_owner

ok, the secret is discovered.
May be i will took the soldering iron out of the box......

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=4971&page=2&pp=10

Ja ja habe ich ATI doch mal wieder überschätzt, echt mal low tech protection..... :)
na ja hm mal sehen.
ich denke so groß ist der Preisunterschied ja nicht zum so939 und a64.
Hm na ja so ca. 60€.
Aber eigentlich bin ich gerade so halbweg abgebrannt, aber nu ja ich weis das ich am limit bin, was ich echt nicht für möglich gehalten hätte werde ich das schon mal überlegen.

Mome

Processor Core i7 950
Display(s) Dell 2709W
Case Lianli PC90
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win 7 Pro 64
wenn du ein Sempron 2800+ + ein DFI Lanparty UT3 bei dem bekannten Internet Auktionshaus ;) kaufst kommst du für ca 45 + 50 Euro raus. Und der Sempron lässt sich meist bis auf 2400MHz übertakten, womit er dann ca. so schnell wie ein 3500+ für S939 ist...
War nur ne Überlegung.

With the X800SE I will do a Hardmod with Silberleitlack, which I have to buy first.
How to do you can see in the Topic on Forumdeluxx.

x800se_owner

Ja so habe ich das noch nicht betrachtet, der so 754 war für mich eigentlich schon tot bevor er da war... ;)
Aber bei den Preisen muss ich das mal überlegen..... :rolleyes:
Ist der Semperon so754 tatsächlich vergleichbar mit dem So939? (ok singel channel Ram..aber das ist wurscht)
Also aus den Sockel A Kernen denke ich kann man nicht annähernd die Speed eines venice 3000 rausholen, obwohl man ja wesentlich höher tacktet.
Also ma schauen, denke wenn semperon da doch schon lieber so nen 64Bit fähigen.....
man das aufrüsten hat ja echt mal kein ende...... :) dachte das einzige was mich gerade ausbremmst wäre die gute Ti4280 gewesen....und nun selbst in HL2 bremst mich die CPU....damn thing hätte ich das nur vorher gewusst, dann hätte ich gleich ne 5900 von ebay gezogen, das hätte gereicht.
Was solls.
Ma schauen wo ich mir die 100 ocken aus den Rippen schneide.... :D
Hast mich da echt auf was gebracht.
Aber erst spiele ich noch mit dem Semperon So. A, den ich da rumliegen habe, rum und mach ma den mobile mod.... mal sehen ob es geht.
mit meinem aktuellen Tbred A geht er nicht.

Nen netten Zalman VF700CuAl :D liegt gerade neben mir, ne Flasche Aceton um meinen SSL wieder Flüssig zu bekommen auch.....mach das aber erst morgen, muss früh raus...und für den Lasercut Mod braucht man schon ein bisle ruhe...

Und dann werde ich mich einer irsinnigen Grafikkarte erfreuen, deren Potenzial ich nicht halbwegs heben kann....aber irgendwie trotzdem cool ne x800XTPE@16P für 160.... :eek: na ja wurst wens nicht klappt, ist mir ja eh jetzt schon zu schnell. :D

Sly.P.I.

X800se Agp Aiw R420

I was following you guys untill the German kicked in and totally confused me.
I have
X800SE AIW AGP 256mb (265bit)
8 pipes

Did anyone get 12 or 16 pipes stable?

If so, how??

Cheers, Steve

Mome

Processor Core i7 950
Display(s) Dell 2709W
Case Lianli PC90
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win 7 Pro 64
Sly.P.I. said:
I was following you guys untill the German kicked in and totally confused me.
I have
sorry! But it was easier to talk then ;)

I and X800SE owner haven't been able to unlock 12 or 16 Pipes.

But I heard of someone in a German Forum, who was able to unlock two SE Cards to 16Pipes.

There are two different types of Lasercut. If your card has a "external" Lasercut, you can fix it. If your card has a "internal" Lasercut, you can't fix the Cut and have to cope with the 8Pipes.

You can look for this in Atitool when looking at the fuses.