• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop's Radeon IGP 340M TV out not working...

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
Hi all, I'm having a little problem with my laptop, and I thought you guys could help me.
The problem is that the TV out thing isn't working... My laptop is a Compaq Presario 2170US, and it comes with a Radeon IGP 340M video card and an S-Video TV out Adapter.
I've tried using different drivers but none of them seem to work, right now I'm using the latest drivers (8.003. something) and even with the cable connected to a TV, the control panel never detects it, and when I choose to force my TV detection, I can enable the TV display, but I get no picture on my TV.
Do anybody know how to solve this problem, any help will be greatly appreciated. :)

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Hi ... 15th ... do you have the TV cable plugged up before booting? I'll look to see what I can find tomorrow on the service boards ...

Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Urlyin said:
Hi ... 15th ... do you have the TV cable plugged up before booting? I'll look to see what I can find tomorrow on the service boards ...

Hi Urlyin!
Yes, I've tried connecting the TV cable before booting and after booting to no avail, any new info would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your help, as always, you're a life saver! ;)

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
try "force tv detection" in the cpanel

W1zzard said:
try "force tv detection" in the cpanel

I tried forcing the detection too, then the TV button lights up in the control panel, and I can enable the TV display and change the properties, but I get no display on my TV... :( Thanks anyway W1zz... :)

Last edited:

ati.bob

Erm.. no display as in the "no signal" mode or as in a blank screen?

Maybe your TV doesn't support the current resolution/refresh rate.. try to set it to a more reasonable resolution and refresh rate like 640x480@60Hz or 800x600@60Hz.. not sure if this works though..

ati.bob said:
Erm.. no display as in the "no signal" mode or as in a blank screen?

Maybe your TV doesn't support the current resolution/refresh rate.. try to set it to a more reasonable resolution and refresh rate like 640x480@60Hz or 800x600@60Hz.. not sure if this works though..

I get a blank screen, same as if I change to the video in without anything plugged into the TV.
Thanks for the tip AtiBob, just tried what you said, and still no results, btw, I've tried connecting my 9800 to the same TV with no problems at 1024x728 and 60 Hz, and didn't have any problems at all (except for colors changing when I watch any of the Star Wars trilogy DVDs, but I guess that has to do with the copy protection thing...)

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
15th ... have you used the FN-F4 keys to switch between the primary and secondary displays?

Urlyin said:
15th ... have you used the FN-F4 keys to switch between the primary and secondary displays?

Just tried it, and the screen on the laptop flickers for about half a second, but nothing is displayed on the TV, I've tried it on three TVs now to rule out any problem with my room's TV, and none of them work...
Urlyin, remember the time I ruined this laptop's BIOS after trying to flash it? I was flashing it because I thought the TV out didn't work with my old BIOS, now, after replacing the faulty mobo with a new one (because of the faulty BIOS flash :p ), that came with an updated BIOS and new vidcard I thought the problem would be solved, but it seems to be a defect in the drivers or something like that; although, on a second thought, I've tried several driver versions, so maybe it doesn't have to be a software related problem... :confused:

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
OS XP? using S-Video cable with TV adapter?, is that just the cable or are you a adapter to plug into the TV?

1) Right-Click on the desktop.

2) Select Properties from the pop-up menu.

3) Select the Settings tab.

4) Click the Advanced Button.

5) Select the Displays tab.

6) click on the upper left section of the box labeled TV. (should be blue).

Also check the format
3. If you are running Windows95 or later, to ensure that the computer recognizes your television format, click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Display. Select the Settings tab, then the Advanced options. Click the Displays tab and select TV. Select the appropriate television format (NTSC, NTSC-J, PAL, or PAL-M)
If you are running Windows NT, to ensure that the computer recognizes your television format, click Start, Programs, ATI Utilities, ATI Display Utility. Select the appropriate television format (NTSC, NTSC-J, PAL, or PAL-M. USA uses NTSC-M or just NTSC)
4. Turn on the television.
5. If the television does not display the correct image, repeat Step 3 and select a different television format. (Make sure the proper TV input is properly selected)
6. To switch back to the computer display, toggle the Fn+F4 hotkeys back to the panel and/or monitor display mode, or follow the sequence in Step 3 and select Panel and/or Monitor

We'll get it ....

Last edited:
Urlyin said:
OS XP? using S-Video cable with TV adapter?, is that just the cable or are you a adapter to plug into the TV?

1) Right-Click on the desktop.

2) Select Properties from the pop-up menu.

3) Select the Settings tab.

4) Click the Advanced Button.

5) Select the Displays tab.

6) click on the upper left section of the box labeled TV. (should be blue).

Also check the format
3. If you are running Windows95 or later, to ensure that the computer recognizes your television format, click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Display. Select the Settings tab, then the Advanced options. Click the Displays tab and select TV. Select the appropriate television format (NTSC, NTSC-J, PAL, or PAL-M)
If you are running Windows NT, to ensure that the computer recognizes your television format, click Start, Programs, ATI Utilities, ATI Display Utility. Select the appropriate television format (NTSC, NTSC-J, PAL, or PAL-M. USA uses NTSC-M or just NTSC)
4. Turn on the television.
5. If the television does not display the correct image, repeat Step 3 and select a different television format. (Make sure the proper TV input is properly selected)
6. To switch back to the computer display, toggle the Fn+F4 hotkeys back to the panel and/or monitor display mode, or follow the sequence in Step 3 and select Panel and/or Monitor

We'll get it ....

I'm using WinXP SP1, and the S-Video to RCA adapter that came with my 9800, plus a yellow 6 feet long RCA cable.
Followed all steps, but had to choose "force detection of my TV" option, like W1zzard said, in order to get the blue TV tab on the displays tab to work, tried both NTSC-M and NTSC and none worked, in my laptop's keyboard the monitor display is activated by pressing Fn+F5, but, only the laptop's screen flickers and then nothing happens...
Tried using softmod drivers, but they don't recognize my video card, I think because of the fact that it's a laptop video card, downloading latest version of omega drivers, as omega states that they work on all Ati laptop adapters, will tell you how it all went, thanks so much for your help mate, I really appreciate it ;)

Last edited:

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
So the TV can only do composite? The cable maybe the issue, can you check with a S-video to S-video cable ... I haven't looked but does the laptop have composite out or just S-video?

Urlyin said:
So the TV can only do composite? The cable maybe the issue, can you check with a S-video to S-video cable ... I haven't looked but does the laptop have composite out or just S-video?

The cable works with my 9800 TV out using the same configuration, so the cable is ok, and yes, the laptop only has S-Video out.
The omega drivers didn't work either, I've looked through all the BIOS options, and none of them seems to ge related to the TV-out thing... I'm considering taking it back to the HP dealer, as the new mobo came with a 90 day warranty, so they should be able to service it, that's probably the only option I have, aside from formating the OS, thank you very much for your help :)

Last edited:

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
15th... one more thing ... on the Displays tab where you click on the top left for TV, there is a Sheme setting which has a setting for Default Single Display or Switch amongst displays ... have you tried the Switch amongst displays then use the fn-f5 .... worth a shot

Urlyin said:
15th... one more thing ... on the Displays tab where you click on the top left for TV, there is a Sheme setting which has a setting for Default Single Display or Switch amongst displays ... have you tried the Switch amongst displays then use the fn-f5 .... worth a shot

Sorry I hadn't answered before Urlyin, I left my laptop in my office yesterday, and couldn't try your suggestion, just got back from work, and tried it, and once again, I only got the LCD screen to flicker for a second, but still no display on the TV screen :(
Just noticed that after pressing apply at the display settings tab, and then pressing ok to return to the desktop, if I load the control panel back again the TV tab (the light blue one) isn't red as it should be, so the driver keeps de-selecting the TV display everytime I leave the control panel! :confused: this is driving me nuts! :mad:

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
The external monitor may not be detected. In the BIOS Setup Utility, try setting Video Display Device to Both in the Main menu .... not sure if this is a setting in your BIOS but something check ...

C&C Freak 2K

On the old laptop 'm typing this on, the external VGA line can be used to drive a second monitor though extended desktop mode (not using clone mode) by setting it just as you would on a desktop.