• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Wrong Bios Disaster Recovery! (W1zzards trick)

System Name Enslaver :)
Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming B650-Plus
Cooling CPU: Noctua NH-D14 with LED fans, Case: 2 front in - 1 rear out
Memory 2x16GB Kingston Fury Beast RGB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 4070Ti OC
Storage Samsung Evo Plus 1TB NVMe , internal WD Red 4TB for storage, WD Book 8TB
Display(s) LG CX OLED 65"
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II Mesh C Performance
Audio Device(s) HDMI audio powering Dolby Digital audio on 5.1 Z960 speaker system
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard ASUS Strix Tactic Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Hello all!

When nothing may seem to help try this!

I am writing this tread in quite a joy because I was able to restore a bad bios flash on my X600 with some help from the thread: "I flashed my X1900 Crossfire with an X1300 bios" from W1zzard.

I have an PCI-E Club3d X600 XT 128Mb Hynix 2.8ns card and flashed the Asus X600 XT 128Mb 2.2nsHynix bios on it (from the "ATI Bios Collection") .
No error messages while flashing and so I rebooted. No picture.. Hmm ...
I installed an old PCI graphics card removed the faulty PCI-E card and reset the motherboard bios. I installed the faulty one again (OF CORSE WITH POWER OFF! HOTSWAPING GRAPHIC CARDS IS DANGEROUS) and booted the PC from the PCI card.
I booted Flashrom from a bootdisk and was shocked that "flashrom -i" didn´t show the PCI-E card. Actual flashing with "flashrom -p 0 bios.bin" didn´t work either.
When booting up with only the PCI-E installed the PC didn´t post (no beep sound) so blind-flashing from a bootdisk was not possible.

I asked for help in the forum and Dolf gave me the link to the "W1zzards trick".
I have an 25P05V6 flashrom on my PCI-E card. So it were the same pins to connect which was uses in the article (1 and 8). I bought some thin wire and a switch. I set the switch in the middle of the wire and soldered the ends of the wire to the pins. I checked that the switch position did short-circuit pins 1 and 8 - and installed the card.
Booted up from the PCI card, booted to Flashrom ... AND ... it worked "flashrom -i" did find the card. Man I was happy :rockout:
I had the switch on the wire hanging outside my case and switched it to the other position
(WITH POWER ON). Then the programming ability of the video bios returned and i flashed the old bios on the card. I shut down the computer and removed the wire from the pins. Rebooted .. It´s magic...
So to remember:
Short-circuit pins = Previosly not recognized card is recognized
No short-circuit = Can be flashed again

I do not understand what went wrong in the first place (Tread:"Flashed Wrong Video Bios :-(" ) but it worked for me and now I am not afraid of video bios flashing anymore because I am quite sure the trick will work in most cases and when not then blind-flashing or then the PCI card trick.

With the switch this can be made a permanent mod on the panel of the card. Cuting the wire in 2 is also a way - but I do not recommend to just pull of the wire of one pin because the wire-end could short circuit something.

Last edited: