• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Desert Conflict for Battlefield 2

ktr

This is gonna be one of the mods (plus FH2) to keep BF2 alive...

This mod is a recreation of DC0.7 and DCX to the the BF2 game.

http://desert-conflict.org/

These are the same guys who brought CTF to BF2.

About:

Desert Conflict (DCON) Is trying to bring the feel of Desert Combat to Battlefield 2.
Ah, yes... Some of you say: "Well isn't BF2 basically DC." Yes and no. Battlefield 2 is no longer based on the Gulf 1 and Gulf 2 Wars. Desert Conflict hopes to take BF2 back a few years and back into the sandy desert of Iraq.

Desert Conflict is being developed by Desert Combat Fans and Supporters. Trauma Studios or original Desert Combat developers are not included in the developement of Desert Conflict.

Latest News:

Latest News:
Open Letter To Our Fans

Thank you all for your time and patience as we've been developing this mod over the past year and a half. We appreciate all the feedback that we've recieved, be it good or bad. Sometimes we don't always take it as well as we should, but the beloved internet doesn't allow you to apply tone of voice to text. This leads to alot of disagreements with supporters and non-supporters alike. This, unfortunately, happens when the lines of communication either get broken or get crossed. The team is very happy with the work they have done over this past amount of time. We are very passionate about this mod and have poured endless hours into it. Its as if its our child. We're very protective parents.

We've listened to the fan base since day 1 and we've tried to implement alot of the communities suggestions into the game. Some have been far fetched and zany and some have been realistic. However, all have been read and all of them answered in one shape or another by a developer. We interact with our fan base quite regularly and we have our hand on the pulse of our community. You guys make DCON what it is. We just build the stuff. You guys have created the mod in the end. You didnt want lock-on missles, we tossed them out and gave you dumb fires. You didnt want auto hovering helos, we tossed that out as well with a smile and have worked very hard on getting the helo flight physics close to DC as we can. You then said well we want the old maps back like El Al. We gave you that one and many more. You wanted the look and feel of what DC was with a splash of Bf2ism.. YOUR GONNA GET IT GUYS!!! You wanted player controlled Arty.. YEA we got that too. Then you wanted CTF for all the classic maps.. Bingo done, cross that off your list guys. Then we went and created even more game play modes to make the maps more replayable. Oh have we got a treat for you.
You wanted solid infantry combat, you got that too along with solid air and armor combat. The planes are quite good in my opinion and so are the helos. We're happy with the spectrum of changes we've been able to make over previous release candidates. We think you all will be to. However the team will be open to suggestions after our release in regards to the planes and how they handle.

After release the Devs will be playing DCON right along side you all for a bit as we take a small break to relax and get started on our next release. We find it extremely important that we reach out the fans as much as you all have reached out to us.

We are probably the most unorthodoxed dev team out there but we always put you guys first and foremost. We arent afraid to mix it up with you all. We dont always agree on some stuff but we wouldnt have this community any other way. We are passionate about what we've done and we dont apologize for that. You all are the best community any development team could have standing next to them. You all have kept us going when we were struggling, and that means a whole helluva alot to us. More than you all will know. We made a promise to you all that we would see this through and we are fulfilling that. Alot of people thought we wouldn't see a release, thought we'd fail. Oh we gave the impression of that for quite sometime and it played out nicely. Its always nice to see the people who really care about our work stick around during hard times. Most of all its always nice to see the developers stick around for those times and step up and achieve so much.

Quite a few of the Devs can now do multi-roles. This has slowed us down in the beginning and the middle, but it has paid off for us in the end. It's forced us to become more than the sum of our parts. It's made us better overall developers. Our work flows have increased exponentially over the past few months as we've learned better ways and more efficient ways of doing stuff. Plus with learning other roles this has allowed us to do a bit more work to help relieve others who have been doing a lot. With exception of SNM and Kiff, who are unmatched with their abilities. These guys are major multi-taskers who are huge assets to myself and the rest of the Devs and most of all to you guys. Hoofer, who has returned to us recently, is also a powerhouse for us. The dev team has only gotten stronger through the wost of times. For us the light at the end of the tunnel has been reached and we're basking in it more and more at each new release candidate thats prep'd for the alpha build.

So thank you all once again for your support and praises and most of all for your encouragement. I wouldn't want a better community than what we have. We have the best already and I don't see how it can get any better. You the fans of DCON should be patting yourselves on the back for your support. You all have come through for us time and time again. From creating new art work for our installers to helping us pay for our license for our forums software. Most of all for just being here along for the ride in the passenger seat and for being so participatory in all of our discussions. Also for being so willing to help out where and when you all can with anything be it testing server offers or hosting offers, or mirroring our work. Plus some of you know that some of our devs came from the same community that you all are apart of here at Desert Conflict. Many more are out there that have talents to offer and we're still looking and waiting for you.

Thank you all so much again. We're preparing the last RC for testing shortly. Animations are complete. This is what we we're waiting on so we could get into testing the new build. Your wait is pretty much over. Sit back and enjoy PR's news postings over the next few weeks. They have alot to show you about DCON. We're pleased that you've enjoyed the sneak peeks so far. More to come.. Thank you all once again

Posted By: Doorstop

Well were in the home stretch ya'll. Final build is being compiled in the next week from what I can tell.. Still on vacation so my contact is limited with everyone. Just waiting on a few things to get into it like some tweaks for some tank tracks and some icons and stuff and some animations for a few weapons.. Piddly little stuff. We'll go into final testing then to make sure everything is ok and that there are no show stoppers and you all can finally get your hands on the goods.

Just a heads up of sorts of what you will find. Dont go looking for A HUGE amount of content. The team has spent a good time generating content but as I've stated before. This is an alpha build.. There are loads of toys to play with so you wont have to worry. All the favorites are in there for the most part with more to be added for next release. We spent alot of time on coding stuff up like the gpms and most importantly the arty system. The arty system alone [this is the classic arty system of bf42!] is a feat and a half of coding. We have alot of the classic maps redone. Some were given a face lift and modernized and they look fantastic. We've learned so much from the first alpha that making other builds should go faster. But we'll be discussing that after our release.

We've enjoyed doing this and its been alot of headaches both personally and jointly as a team but we're at the finish line. As I said in case you missed it all. Final build is being compiled some time this week or next and it will be tested thoroughly to see if anything major pops onto the grid in regards to bugs. If not, you all will have DCON VERY VERY SOON!

Posted By: Doorstop

Media:

Apache Longbow

Nighthawk

A10

M109

t-72

EL ALAMEIN!!!
http://desert-conflict.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5551

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xA3vzSnZnU

Last edited:

Mediocre

Processor C2D E8400 @ 3.60GHz
Motherboard ASUS P5Q-Pro w/ extra Vreg HS
Cooling Apogee GTX, 2x120mm DD, MCP-1000P Res/Pump, all 3/8" 7x80mm (4x push/pull, 2x exhaust, 1x side)
Memory 2 x 1GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 @ 800 (4-3-3-6)
Video Card(s) EVGA 9800GTX+
Storage 3 x 80 GB WD SATA300 (2x RAID 0)
Display(s) Scepter x37 1080p 37" LCD & Samsung 204B
Case CoolerMaster HAF932
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Mushkin HP-580AP (C/O TPU!)
Software Vista Ultimate (32-bit)
Good stuff. Thanks for all the work.

Looking forward to giving it a try.

'Ocre

System Name Red Matter 2
Processor Ryzen 5600X
Motherboard X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Water is Masterliquid 240 Pro
Memory GeiL EVO X 3600mhz 32g also G.Skill Ripjaw series 5 4x8 3600mhz as backup lol
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming Radeon RX 6800
Storage EVO 860. Rocket Q M.2 SSD WD Blue M.2 SSD Seagate Firecuda 2tb storage.
Display(s) ASUS ROG Swift PG32VQ
Case Phantek P400 Glass
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA G3 850
Mouse Roccat Military/ Razer Deathadder V2
Keyboard Razer Chroma
Software W10
Can't wait for it to be finished.

PVTCaboose1337

Graphical Hacker
System Name Whim
Processor Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 2gb
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD 2TB Black
Display(s) Shimian QH270 (1440p), Asus VE228 (1080p)
Case Cooler Master 430 Elite
Audio Device(s) Onboard > PA2V2 Amp > Senn 595's
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Software Windows 8.1 (Tweaked)
Forgotten hope looks nice. I want that.

D

Deleted member 24505

FH2 looks very nice,any idea when its due.and the desert conflict client is avaialable now,there is also a patch for bf2 1.4.

ktr

FH2 looks very nice,any idea when its due.and the desert conflict client is avaialable now,there is also a patch for bf2 1.4.

Thats the CTF addon, not the total conversion. I have no clue of the release date of FH2...but like every game developers says "when its done"...

Sovereign

System Name "The Gateway Donation"
Processor Mobile AMD Turion 64 ML-34, 1975 MHz (9 x 218) (1MB L2)
Motherboard MSI K8N Neo3-FSR (3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x16, 1 AGR, 2 DDR DIMM)
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 PRO + Various 80mm Case Fans
Memory 1024 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM, Hynix & Nanya Chips)
Video Card(s) MSI HD2600XT 256MB GDDR4 Diamond OC Edition PCI-E x16
Storage Maxtor 6E040L0 (40 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
Display(s) Princeton LCD1950 19" 8ms Digital LCD (1280x1024 @ 75Hz)
Case Gateway (2000) Beige P150 ATX MidTower Case
Audio Device(s) Aureal Vortex 2 SQ2500 "SuperQuad" Audio
Power Supply HEC Orion 500 watt ATX Power Supply
Software Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 w/ SP2
Benchmark Scores SuperPi 1M @ You don't even want to know! ;)
Thanks for the heads up, KTR! I just may look into these! :cool:

ktr

Updated Latest news:

Here are the major pointers...

We've listened to the fan base since day 1 and we've tried to implement alot of the communities suggestions into the game. Some have been far fetched and zany and some have been realistic. However, all have been read and all of them answered in one shape or another by a developer. We interact with our fan base quite regularly and we have our hand on the pulse of our community. You guys make DCON what it is. We just build the stuff. You guys have created the mod in the end. You didnt want lock-on missles, we tossed them out and gave you dumb fires. You didnt want auto hovering helos, we tossed that out as well with a smile and have worked very hard on getting the helo flight physics close to DC as we can. You then said well we want the old maps back like El Al. We gave you that one and many more. You wanted the look and feel of what DC was with a splash of Bf2ism.. YOUR GONNA GET IT GUYS!!! You wanted player controlled Arty.. YEA we got that too. Then you wanted CTF for all the classic maps.. Bingo done, cross that off your list guys. Then we went and created even more game play modes to make the maps more replayable. Oh have we got a treat for you. You wanted solid infantry combat, you got that too along with solid air and armor combat. The planes are quite good in my opinion and so are the helos. We're happy with the spectrum of changes we've been able to make over previous release candidates. We think you all will be to. However the team will be open to suggestions after our release in regards to the planes and how they handle.

ktr

Another news update...mod is releasing in 3 days!!!

Is it time yet? I keep hearing this echo across my msn screens and in my ears on TS. First off let me begin by saying this..

DCON was started with the thought of trying to recreate a feeling that we as BF2 players now haven't had since the days of DC. After Bf2 was dropped on us.. It felt lacking. Some of the players stuck to Bf2 happy with playing for stats and unlocks. Some felt, well, out of place. The skill that once was, was no more. The fun that once was had, disappeared. DCON heard the cries of the community early on in its development before I was here. After taking over the helm and the team growing and shrinking and growing again. We pressed on with the single goal of making BF2 fun once again. We started working on CTF.. A game mode that wasn't included with BF2. The fans downloaded it and played it.. Enjoying it. However it was lacking.. It was lacking that which was. Vehicles and weaponry and maps that are all familiar to us all who had played DC. So we started our work on getting those things together. The current team faced alot of criticism for inheriting a mod that was trying to bring back the game play of DC.. We've taken our knocks and kept going. YOU the community was there for us right from the start.. You guys have been a pivotal part of what DCON is.. You the Fans! This was made for you.. This was made to give you back something that has been lost for nearly 2 yrs. This was made so that you can dust off you bf2 discs that you've tucked away cause you were waiting for this moment to dust them off. THIS WAS MADE FOR YOU!

You wanted skill to come back to the game. Done
You wanted dumbfire missles for handheld aa, ground based aa, and for aircraft. Done
You wanted CTF. Done
You wanted classic maps to play this all on. Done
You wanted familiar vehicles. Done and still adding more.
You wanted Artillery brought back to the player. DONE!

We have bent this engine to our will. Some areas its not so flexible and we just have to work around them. Other areas it is and we've exploited it. Its been an up hill battle making this. But its been worth ever single waking hour we've put into it. BECAUSE YOU ALL DESERVE IT! This mod was created with the fans in mind this was created just for you all. We exist because of you. Without the fans, we are nothing. No mod can be anything without a fan base. WE have the best fans in the world. No one can tell you all otherwise.

YOUR WAIT IS OVER!

As i stated in a previous post made sometime ago. When you saw the release of the promo video you would know that the wait was over and a release was comming. IT IS TIME.. As of tomorrow evening at 7pm est I will be releasing the server files to the public.

THATS RIGHT!!! I AM RELEASING THE SERVER FILES TO THE PUBLIC TOMORROW AT 7PM EST..

So the next question is. When is DCON being released..

that answer..

FRIDAY March 30th I will be releasing the client files at 4pm est.

Thurs is Kiffs BDay So i want you all to be wishing him a happy bday.. He and alot of the other guys have busted their ass to get this ready to be released to you all.

So.. with that being said.. I have a few more things to add.

We have some known issues. They will be addressed with a patch shortly after release.. cant give you an exact date of when, but they will be addressed.

We found some lag on DS and EL AL for some testers. Come to find out It was exported with old tools and it added 5x's the faces.. So a total of about 50k extra faces for the factory and the hangar together. We caught this last min and it would have taken us quite some time to fix and all. Its liveable. Hell DC forgot the network info for the apache on their release.. LOL..

There are a few other things that you may find that you like or dont like.. We will be opening a suggestion thread for the public to post their thoughts about what they would like to see changed or adjusted that will addressed if they are small enough in the patch that will have the fixes for the maps after release.

I didnt want this to come as a surprise to everyone as they were playing and wonder what the issues were..

Most of all guys. Enjoy the party.. Friday night the devs will be rolling across multiple servers playing with the community.. We will make our schedule for this over the comming days so that you guys can join some of us playing..

So with this all being said.. Thank you all for your support. Thank you all for your help. Thank you all for your comments. And most of all thank you all for being our biggest fans.. HERE'S TO YOU ALL.. HERE'S TO OUR FANS!!!

System Name Red Matter 2
Processor Ryzen 5600X
Motherboard X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Water is Masterliquid 240 Pro
Memory GeiL EVO X 3600mhz 32g also G.Skill Ripjaw series 5 4x8 3600mhz as backup lol
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming Radeon RX 6800
Storage EVO 860. Rocket Q M.2 SSD WD Blue M.2 SSD Seagate Firecuda 2tb storage.
Display(s) ASUS ROG Swift PG32VQ
Case Phantek P400 Glass
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA G3 850
Mouse Roccat Military/ Razer Deathadder V2
Keyboard Razer Chroma
Software W10
Well I think I know what I will be doing Friday night.

wazzledoozle

Processor X2 3800+ @ 2.3 GHz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty SLI-DR
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9500 LED
Memory 2x1 Gb OCZ Plat. @ 3-3-2-8-1t 460 MHz
Video Card(s) HIS IceQ 4670 512Mb
Storage 640Gb & 160Gb western digital sata drives
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen LCD w/ DVI 5ms
Case Thermaltake Soprano
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 softmod@Audigy 4, Logitech X-530 5:1
Power Supply Coolermaster eXtreme Power Plus 500w
Software XP Pro