• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Overclocking ASUS A8V mb AMD cpu

SPHERE

Processor opteron 165
Motherboard dfi cfx3200
Cooling zalman 7000
Memory mushkin xp4000
Video Card(s) x1900xt
Storage 4x320 7200.10 raid
Display(s) 21" sony trinitron
Case v2000b lianli
Audio Device(s) x-fi platinum
Power Supply pcpac 510
Software gaydows
helpimcrap said:
i forgot theres the newer P4s with higher HTT out.

i dont know what they run at though.

AMDs dont need as high a mhz as pentiums as they do more 'brainwork' per cycle or mhz than the P4s. without it getting silly complicated its hard to say.

quite simply technologys reaching its fastest at the moment and the next stage is to have 2 CPUs on one chip. they wont be any quicker in mhz but will be quicker in general use.
quicker in multi threading programs and multi tasking only but same in everything else

one2

helpimcrap said:
i forgot theres the newer P4s with higher HTT out.

i dont know what they run at though.

AMDs dont need as high a mhz as pentiums as they do more 'brainwork' per cycle or mhz than the P4s. without it getting silly complicated its hard to say.

quite simply technologys reaching its fastest at the moment and the next stage is to have 2 CPUs on one chip. they wont be any quicker in mhz but will be quicker in general use.

well yea, AMD is good with 2 GHz ... but why don't they do something with 3-4 GHz? Intel has 200*17 (& more), but AMD has only come to ... 14? 200*14 i think - i don't know what this numbers are, but AMD is behind - or should we say, that AMD still have some space)

Intel is doing something with this 1066 FSB - but now it's like 6 months old & not really 4 sale (still very $$$ and hard 2 get (don't think you can get one in Slovenia)) - more like a 'show PC' :rolleyes:
--->Pentium 4 processor with HT Technology Extreme Edition<--- there are only two; 3.46 & 3.73 GHz; the 3.46 has 512-KB L2 cache 2-MB L3 cache (3.73 has only 2-MB L2)

Processor Intel i7-8700k @ stock
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro iirc
Memory 16GB Corsair DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500G NVMe
Display(s) 34" ASUS ROG PG348Q + 28" ASUS TUF Gaming VG289
Case NZXT
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard CoolerMaster Storm XT Stealth
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
AMD uses another manufacturing process than Intel. With their process they can't get to that speeds/frequencies. Their max is about 2.6GHz at the moment.

Then the multiplier is that 14 and 17 you see. It serves only to multiply the FSB (Front Side Bus - the highway between your CPU and chipset/graphics card/memory) speed (the 200MHz, 266MHz, 1066MHz etc.) to attain the frequency of the CPU ex. 200MHz(FSB) x 12(Multiplier) = 2400MHz actual CPU speed. And AMD use HyperTransport to actually get a FSB of 2000MHz, so the 1066Mhz FSB of Intel is not that big an advancement as you might think.

Also, AMD are not behind, they are using another strategy... They try to increase the performance per clock cycle instead of increasing the frequency. Intel actually decrease the performance per clock cycle to get to higher frequencies. :D

And I don't believe the Pentium4 Extreme Edition has L3 cache. I think you mean 512KB L1 cache and 2MB L2 cache. L3 cache are usually found on some motherboards to increase performance.

one2

zAAm said:
AMD uses another manufacturing process than Intel. With their process they can't get to that speeds/frequencies. Their max is about 2.6GHz at the moment.

Then the multiplier is that 14 and 17 you see. It serves only to multiply the FSB (Front Side Bus - the highway between your CPU and chipset/graphics card/memory) speed (the 200MHz, 266MHz, 1066MHz etc.) to attain the frequency of the CPU ex. 200MHz(FSB) x 12(Multiplier) = 2400MHz actual CPU speed. And AMD use HyperTransport to actually get a FSB of 2000MHz, so the 1066Mhz FSB of Intel is not that big an advancement as you might think.

Also, AMD are not behind, they are using another strategy... They try to increase the performance per clock cycle instead of increasing the frequency. Intel actually decrease the performance per clock cycle to get to higher frequencies. :D

And I don't believe the Pentium4 Extreme Edition has L3 cache. I think you mean 512KB L1 cache and 2MB L2 cache. L3 cache are usually found on some motherboards to increase performance.

well P4 EE 3'46 GHz has 512-KB L2 cache 2-MB L3 cache for sure ... but this Extrem Edition is on old 5xx processors - new, 6xx processors are better, 64-bit, cooler, they have Enhanced Intel SpeedStep ... but they are still with 800 FSB.

this 6xx processors are really good - but for gaming still way behind AMD (& it's FX-55)

& Intel also has Hyper-Threading Technology - that allows software programs to "see" two processors and work more efficiently. This new technology enables the processor to execute two series, or threads, of instructions at the same time, thereby improving performance and system responsiveness ... and they are working on processors that will have 2 cores (like new video cards) + this H-T technology, so programs will actually "see" four processors :D

helpimcrap

software still only uses one though. HTT is useless in games currently. only major apps like photo editing/encoding can utilise multithreading. for the time being anyway. :)

one2

helpimcrap said:
software still only uses one though. HTT is useless in games currently. only major apps like photo editing/encoding can utilise multithreading. for the time being anyway. :)

i know that ... saw some tests ... this new P4 is more like for serious work - 2 bad that this is useless with games :rolleyes:

Kr4nG

if the multiplier changes will the fsb options change too?