• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

hdd acting weird, can't install os

B

bassmasta

well, if you look for my thread about internet troubles, you will understand how this started. neway, in the end i decided just to reinstall vista. it's not the first time i've done it, so i didn't see a problem. at completing install, i get a bsod, but it's too quick for me to see what the problem is. i tried to start windows, but it said that windows wont install if it restarts during install. so, i tried 3 more times.... now i was pissed. i tried both my shiny new dvd burner drive, and the original one. i drove to my brothers house and stole his pc while he was at work. im gonna return it. so, i took the hard drive out of his pc, which is the same model as mine, and put it in my pc, and took out the old one. i tried to boot into the xp that was on the drive, but when i did, it didn't find my mouse or keyboard. i assume it would have found drivers for it if i could get past the damn log in screen. well, i format the drive and try to install vista. same problem, except this time i caught a glimpse of the problem. the bsod was either irq not less or equal, or irql not less or equal. well, ive gotten irql when my memory was unstable, although i know that technically it means driver error, which makes sense because it always kills the ati driver. so, i go to my bios and hit the default values button. didn't help. ok, so i thought i'd try and install xp on either drive. both had the same problem. so, in all my intelligence, i put his hardrive back to make sure he could at least boot. it worked untill it asked for os. then i tried mine. the post would just stop before the last line and either sit there, waiting for me to press delete or f8, and still not work then, or it would just freeze..... now these are exactly the same model harddrive. well, i thought that i would try to install vista on his harddrive through his pc, and just tell him that his harddrive died. well, when it gets to the boot screen, i pick vista cd. what i get is my big-ass low-quality mouse, and a backroud that looks like the sky and the ocean are trying to make horrible, pixelated babies. then nothing ever loads. so, as i dont really care about installing xp on his machine again, i didnt try. it will be about two and a half hours before i'm at home again. as it is, im typing this in our janitor's room, because hes the only other guy w/ a pc here that i out-rank. when i get home, i will stop by my mothers house and borrow her laptop so that i can check in on your brilliant solutions :) btw, please help, because this is a ps2 keyboard... actually... from a playstation 2... and every period you see had to be an m, ,, /, or l before i deleted it and made it into a period. and a 200 dpli laser mouse, also from a playstation. his pc in a compaq. please help :(

B

bassmasta

oh, i forgot! i even tried to put vista on a ps2 ide hardrive! now, i'm going to see if i can get linux xubuntu 64 install, then i can atleast play quake. that is, assuming there are linux drivers for the 2900>.>

Last edited by a moderator:

Polaris573

Senior Moderator
Processor LGA 775 Intel Q9550 2.8 Ghz
Motherboard MSI P7N Diamond - 780i Chipset
Cooling Arctic Freezer
Memory 6GB G.Skill DDRII 800 4-4-3-5
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 7850 2 GB PCI-E
Storage 1 TB Seagate 32MB Cache, 250 GB Seagate 16MB Cache
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Coolermaster Centurion 5
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 600 Watt
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Unplug all unnecessary peripherals (including your mouse) and add in boards. Remove all but one of your memory modules. Try installing it like that. You might also want to run memtest.

Of course your brothers installation of XP on his HD did not work on your computer. Unless you have identical hardware many important drivers for your processor, motherboard, and chipset will not be installed.

B

bassmasta

>.> wow, i feel so stupid... it had never occured to me that the mobo would need some kind of driver. i had always assumed that if the drivers were not on the bios chip, they we're needed. is there any reason why the vista dvd would be so mesed up when used on his pc?

Polaris573

Senior Moderator
Processor LGA 775 Intel Q9550 2.8 Ghz
Motherboard MSI P7N Diamond - 780i Chipset
Cooling Arctic Freezer
Memory 6GB G.Skill DDRII 800 4-4-3-5
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 7850 2 GB PCI-E
Storage 1 TB Seagate 32MB Cache, 250 GB Seagate 16MB Cache
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Coolermaster Centurion 5
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 600 Watt
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Don't feel stupid, a lot of people make that mistake. What kind of hardware does your brother's computer have?

B

bassmasta

my brother's pc runs an athlon 3200 at 2.8 ghz, two 1600 pros in x-fire, 1.75 gb of assorted ram working at 2700, a shitty 450 psu and an asus a8r-mvp.

as for my problem, i went and saw a buddy at work who owes me a favor. i dropped off my pc and an hour later he called and told me that my psu was faulty and that it had screwed over my pci bus. so, i gave him fifty bucks and he told our commanding officer that one of the maintenance terminals had blown. our co, being 76 years old, doesn't know much about computers, but to him that sounded bad so he signed a cheque and told my buddy to go to the computer shop and fix it. so now, not only do i have a new psu and mobo, of the same models, though, i also now have some geil ddr2 800 ram. and i got vista installed! that's canadian tax dollars at work :D