• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2 Ati Silencer 5 rev 2's dead from atitool

deathbyburk

System Name Custom
Processor E8400 at 4.2 ghz
Motherboard Asus Maximus
Cooling 9700 led
Memory 4gb muchkin1066
Video Card(s) 8800 gts (g92)
Storage Raptor raid
Display(s) Samsung 22
Case Antec
Audio Device(s) Motherboard
Power Supply Thermaltake 800
Software Vista x64
Ok not positive but here is my story. I installed the arctic cooling vga cooler 5 rev 2 on my pci-e ati x800xl and it worked great for about 2 weeks. It was overclocked slightly no artifacts running great. So i decided to go into fan control in atitool and override the fan control speen. As soon as i played withit my game froze up. So i playh aroound for an hour or so to find that the fan in my cooler has stopped. So long story short i get my 2nd cooler from newegg. Work great for a couple of hours. Said screw it I need to know and try atitool again and bam no fan again. If i reboot it nothing happens. If I leave the comp off for a while the fan will work temporarily but i can't get it to stay on even with atitool off. If wizz if u have any questions let me know im desperate i really don't want to give up my cooler i spent hours just making room for the thing. But maybe an option so atitool can just stay away from the fans or something. I reada post in the forums about someone with dead silencers also. He said he had atitool running his silencer at 100 and it died after a few hours.

System Name Dothan
Processor Intel Pentium M 770 @ 160*16
Motherboard MSI Speedster FA-4
Cooling Zalman CNPS9500 LED
Memory Adata DDR2 @ 240
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD3870
Storage Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300GB | Hitachi 160GB | Seagate 250GB
Display(s) Samsung 920T + LG Flatron 22"
Case TT Tsunami Xaser Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy 2 ZS
Power Supply Hiper type-R 480W
Software ATITool & SysTool
No problems here.
Rev.2 @ 8% fanspeed, all day long in about 6 weeks.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
had no issues with my ATI Silencer 4 tho I dont turn it down below 50% (I wouldnt do it as if you check the default speed it is 67%) and besides it runs so quiet I run it at 80% idle

jlin101

The fan on my Silencer 5 rev 2 died yesterday, overheating the gpu to 130C. I had had it on my x800xl for several weeks without problem. I reinstalled the fan wire and the fan started again, only to stop spinning shortly after. I did not have ATI Tool running at the time, nor did I ever use it to control the fan speed (didn't even know about the option). The stock fan is now working. Is it possible that it was Silencer's fault and had nothing to do with ATI Tool? Has anyone have their stock fan die using ATI tool?

Pinksteady

Hi guys I have just encountered this problem too!

I have an X800Pro and put a Silencer 4 on it no more than 2 weeks ago and today I (thankfully) noticed the temperature at idle rose from 30 to 60C! Yes, the fan had stopped. I took it out, checked the connections, put it back in and it started again, but only for about 10 mins, then it stopped.

OOOH as I am writing this message I can see the temp rising! Its stopped again as I speak! So far the only solution is to open the case and give it a tap, which seems to get it going again.

I use ATI Tray Tools but find it hard to believe that is causing the problem, but maybe it is, I dunno. Seems more hardware related, but maybe the Silencer needs to be left alone when it comes to fan speeds. This is bizarre and extremely annoying. I cant leave the PC unattended now in case the fan stops.

I may try getting rid of ATT. I set it, like INSTG8R said, to 68% at minimum.

Crikey, any ideas?

Last edited:

spectre440

Processor Athlon 64 x2 4000+ (65nm Brisbane)
Motherboard Abit AN-M2 (AM2) nForce 630a
Cooling Stock everything (for the time being), 2x120mm fans (intake & exhaust)
Memory 2GB (2x1024) OCZ Platinum PC2-6400 (4-4-4-15, 2T)
Video Card(s) PowerColor ATI HD 2600XT 256mb GDDR4 PCI-e
Storage Hitachi Deskstar 160GB SATA 3.0G/s, External USB2.0 WD 160GB
Display(s) LG 17' LCD (L1753TR)
Case HEC-Compucase 6A, black & grey
Audio Device(s) On-Board 7.1 (realtek)
Power Supply Spire Zeno 650W
Software WinXP Pro SP2 (32-bit, for the time being)
you guys should get your money refunded from AC or from wherever you bought them.

those things are supposed to have like a 6 year warranty on them.

Pinksteady

Maybe, but I really like this piece of kit so if I could just get it working (or at least work out what the problem is), I'll be happy(ish). I've had the side panel of my PC removed for the last few hours and the fan hasn't stopped yet...curious.

If this cannot be resolved, then yeah, I'll have to get my money back and find an alternative. Any recommendations for an X800, bearing in mind I spent only £20 and liked the idea that it was designed specifically for my card so I didn't have to worry about compatibility issues.

spectre440

Processor Athlon 64 x2 4000+ (65nm Brisbane)
Motherboard Abit AN-M2 (AM2) nForce 630a
Cooling Stock everything (for the time being), 2x120mm fans (intake & exhaust)
Memory 2GB (2x1024) OCZ Platinum PC2-6400 (4-4-4-15, 2T)
Video Card(s) PowerColor ATI HD 2600XT 256mb GDDR4 PCI-e
Storage Hitachi Deskstar 160GB SATA 3.0G/s, External USB2.0 WD 160GB
Display(s) LG 17' LCD (L1753TR)
Case HEC-Compucase 6A, black & grey
Audio Device(s) On-Board 7.1 (realtek)
Power Supply Spire Zeno 650W
Software WinXP Pro SP2 (32-bit, for the time being)
zalmans are good coolers and can be mounted on just about anything.

only downside to 'em is that unlike AC silencers they dont expel heat out of the case. so i'd suggest you increase your exhaust somehow if you're getting one.

jlin101

I RM'd my ATI silencer (had to do it through the vendor because AC does not have any distributor in the US) and received a "tested" (looked more than refurbished to me) unit which has worked for 2 weeks now... I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I am pretty sure the dead fan was related to the silencer and not ATI tool.

Pinksteady

its the lead!

ok guys I think the problem of the fan stopping is down to the fan lead, at the fan end. When it kept stopping, i tapped the case, and and tapped and fiddled with different bits of the card to get it moving again, and the lead was what did it.

Try this: remove the lead from the grips that hold it to the side of the Silencer case. I always thought it was being shaped into funny/un-nattural angles. I have done this, so the wire is just hanging free from the fan to the connector on the card. Then I pushed the cable a little further into the housing, and attached it to just one of the grips, lightly, trying to keep it as un-forced as possible, if you get what I mean.

With the cable in this position, the fan hasn't stopped all day, which is good news! Obviously this is not really a very reliable/permanent fix, but its working for me so far!

Here is a pic

acrowley23

my Rev2 Silencer is running on a 2d Profile..

under 45C the Fan is running on 0%..zero

No Problems over 6Month here...

jlin101

I agree that the dead fan's problem is in the connection--I uninstalled and reinstalled the lead to get the fan started again; but a few days later the fan stopped again. This happened several times and was a major hassel to repeatedly open the pc and remove the graphic card, not to mention the risk of damaging the card due to heat. Just RMA the thing and hope the next one is without defect.

Pinksteady

A very dissapointing fault indeed. I have sent my card back now and it is being tested by the company I bought it from (vadim computers), the only problem is that there is no guarantee that any replacement card will be free from this problem! This could go on forever!

Ex0skelet0r

i have also the same problem with ati silencer 5 v.2 with my x800xl. after 3 months. i have change it now and i have a new ati s 5. anyone knows why this is happening?

ggtronic

different problem with my ATi X850XT :

complete blury and disturb image , from bios resolution
to windows final resolution.... > at every boot with first unit,
and intermitent with RMA ( second one )

now i'm stuck between Artic Cooling who certainly keep
there head in sand , and Ati that will not support me
because i'm fooling around with there product.

ATi is responsable of a major flask about noise level with
there original fan/heat sink in X850XT

Artic cooling make deffective fan , because if i unplug it,
the system boot fine............ ( have to watch GPU temp go up to 55 at idle !)

So because my actual GPU has an hard time to handle that fan
, i think that a small capacitor to reduce noise from that fan could
make an improvement ? ( or try another kind of fan ? )

no answer yet from AC , from there website support ?

if you dont like trouble , dont buy this **** yet...( ATi silencer 5 )

hope to find technician here in your comunity to help me doing
some RD ( research and devellopment ) :ohwell:

thedivinehairband

Processor AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE
Motherboard AsRock M3A785GMH/128M
Memory Corsair 4GB DDR3 DHX 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 4870 1024Mb
Storage 2 x Western Digital Caviar 250Gb 16Mb Cache (RAID 0)
Display(s) 30" Dell 3007WFP
Case Antec P180B
Audio Device(s) Soudblaster Audigy 2 Platimun eX
Power Supply OCZ SilentXtream 600W
Software Windows 7 RC 64 bit (soon to be Home Premium)
Piling yet more mystery into this thread, I was overclocking and reached 466mhz before the card locked and the system crashed. I rebooted and a Check of the logs told me so. However when I checked my fan speed it had dipped to zero and the fan had stopped.
I checked the settings and set atitool (0.25 beta 8) to run the fan at 100% rebooted but still nothing. I removed the card and changed back to the stock fan again thinking that the Silencer had died on meagain and booted my PC.
The fan whirred at the start as normal but when into windows the temps began to climb quickly whilst doing nothing at all. I checked inside the case and found the fan was not spinning. I then booted into safe mode to find that the fan did indeed still work.
Changing back to the Silencer I stopped atitool starting with windows and lo and behold it sprung majestically back into life upon the next boot.
Any explanations anyone? Is there an issue with atitool? Please get back to us W1zzard as I don't think I am alone with this problem.

ggtronic

about ati tool

when i use fan speed overide , what ever the speed i select ,
im hearing an high frequency noise....anoying...

so i uninstall this tool , because i dont care about overclock
( looking for quiet environement )

i decide to conect my AC fan directly to PSU 12v
( still quiet a max speed )

Chivalry

!! mine too!

wtf is goin on with these fans? anyone sorted it yet?
I installed a x800gto2 the other day with a AC 5 rev 2 on it.... today while i was playing HL2... all of a sudden my machine froze up... nothing i could do except press the reset button and boot up again... then when windows got to the loadup screen with the bar movinf at the bottom instead of showing that screen it just sat there with a black screen! wouldent do anything!.. so i had to press the reset again..
This time it took me to the safe mode option boot screen.. and i just selected boot into normal mode..
When windows booted up i immediatly noticed my grapics temp on my GPU was showing at 59 idle!! its usualy 35-36!!!
i whip the side of my case of fast to see the fan isnt spinning :0(.. i have a fiddle with the fan controler in ATI tool tray and set it to max speed... still no fan... im wondering what to do next... and 20 secs later i check to see the fan spinning again! dunno what started it up again...
Now every time i try to start windows the same thing happens... it takes me as far as the XP loading screen but i get a black screen instead... and i have to press reset and choose boot normaly in the safe mode options page to get into windows,,, anyone else had a similer prob like this booting ? thnx

se2k

This is a known issue with ATI Silencers.. The problem occurs when the fan is connected directly to the video card. The ATI cards send dramatic voltage spikes when attempting to regulate the fan speed.. This causes a capacitor in the Arctic Cooler to blow and the fan no longer works. There was an article on Arctic Cooling's website about this, but I cannot find it anymore! Anyway, their advice in the article was to just connect it directly to the power supply. They went into detail about cutting off the end and soldering it to a molex connector!

I've done this with my RMA replacement AC 5 rev.2 and it's been working for some time now.

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
strikes me as a bad idea going straight from 0% to 100% all in one go..

plus there is no need at all to do it this way.. u could run 40% which is pretty nigh inaudible up to say 55C.. move up to 60% at 55c then at 65c up to 75% which should be enough to keep the card cool.. only useing 100% as safety overheat measure at say 75c

mine never runs at 100% it stays around 70% which is plenty enough to keep temps within reasonable limits..

however u do it i recon the 0% to 100% all in one goidea is bad news..

trog

zekrahminator

McLovin
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane @ 2.8GHz (224x12.5, 1.425V)
Motherboard Gigabyte sumthin-or-another, it's got an nForce 430
Cooling Dual 120mm case fans front/rear, Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, Zalman VF-900 on GPU
Memory 2GB G.Skill DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire X850XT @ 580/600
Storage WD 160 GB SATA hard drive.
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen, 5ms response time, 1440x900
Case Thermaltake Soprano (black with side window).
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Live! 24 bit (paired with X-530 speakers).
Power Supply ThermalTake 430W TR2
Software XP Home SP2, can't wait for Vista SP1.
I hate to just jack in, but...wouldn't it make life easier if you just plugged it into the motherboard connection? I mean sure, it runs at 100% 24/7, but its quiet! right? lol