• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Weird Screen Garbling With ATi-Tool and X800

VomitOnLino

Hello,

I have an X800 Pro ViVo modded to XT PE. Now when I run ATi tool my screen sometimes (not always!) ends up looking like this :
And I haven't done anything in ATi-Tool yet, I barley started it in that shot. :confused:

http://img89.exs.cx/img89/8504/Deadscreen.jpg (click link for Image)

The temps seem fine, (48C° Idle, 62C° max load) and so do the games and demos. I can play/run them all without any signs of overheating, crashes or artifacts. (Farcry, Doom3,RtHdrIbl, Various ATi Demos, 3dMark 03, Aquamark, Hl2 Stresstest, Soldiers Heroes of WW2, Joint Ops, Mafia, Freedom Fighters.....Edit : Add MoH Pacific Assault Demo to that) I just don't get it. Been playing with it for 19 days now, yet have to find a game/demo that artifacts...
Still I'm pretty worried about this issue, as I fear losing my card or some undiscovered errors, has anyone gotten something similar ?

Sys :

WinXP Pro
P IV 3.0C @ 3.58
Intel 865Perl Mobo
1024Mb Kingston CL3 (Dual channel)
400W Power Supply (Be Quiet!)
Soundblaster Live!
X800 Pro@XT (Catalysts 4.8, DX 9.0C)
2 Hdd's
1 DVD-Rom

Last edited:
I had this too, when the core OC is too high and it locks up. I test my core, just with a rotating cube and when it locks up, that is what my screen looks like. I think it also looks like this, when I return from S3 sleep state.

VomitOnLino

Thank you for your reply. But sometimes It looks like this just by starting ATitool - without doing anything else - just doubleclicking the shortcut so to speak... :confused:

L

LabShark

Same here with my X800XT and no overclocking. Only when I click on the Temp Icon in sys Tray. Only with the .22 version.......

acrowley23

yeep.....same Prob "sometimes"....just when Windows is booting and AtiTool gets his startup and 2d proflie, i'm becoming this Screen!
Or sometimes when i make a high Coreclock Jump with my Ram from 560Mhz to 450Mhz....,or loading a profile...then my Screen is freezing with such a Picture.... :(
Also not OCed!!
I'm running a x800proVIVO@xt too. I've found that i'll get this much more often when i´m having the XT-PE Bios running on my Card!
Also my Temps really cool with a max of 68C on Ati4 Silencer! And everything is stable with
XT-PE clock...no Artifacts, freezes or something in 3d Mode.....only sometimes this Problem!

But it's a little bit strange......I've this Prob sometimes with the AtiTrayTool too!
Same reason....changing the Clock, loading a profile.... :eek: only sometimes too (1of100).

Also Strange is ,that when i doesn't change the Clock manually with AtiTool, but let change the 2d and 3d profile autom. I dont have his Problem....Never...
I'm sure it must be the Ram where this Prob is come from....I'never get this when i change the GPU clock Settings.. And with the Pro Bios (lower Timings) working on my Card i never see this the last weeks!
I think there is something with the Ram timings where this Problem is comig from ,when using the AtiTool to initiate the Card. And it's not a Defect..must be software Prob..
Maybe it must be based on the routines how AtiTool is working to change the clock or initiate the Card... :) who knows....... :)

GrEEtz

Last edited:

otbcsteve

I've got a connect3d x800 vivo @ XT and I get exactly the same problem. sounds like it's a bug rather than problems with our cards (i hope).

PRozAC

I've got the same card as otbcsteve. i built it in yesterday and made no changes regarding bios or clock rates. and i get the same screen :(
btw. how can i read out the temps of my card?? atitool says 1°c ???

greetz...
PRozAC

acrowley23

otbcsteve said:
I've got a connect3d x800 vivo @ XT and I get exactly the same problem. sounds like it's a bug rather than problems with our cards (i hope).

I think its 100% not our x800proVivo@XT-pe Mod....People with orig XT Cards and unmodded x800pro has reported the Same Error...

My Problem..I've never such a Screen when AtiTool is autom Changing the Profiles from 2d to 3d Profile...only manually...Also never Probs in 3d like Gaming..

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
does it make a difference if you change the frequency by a small amount (5 mhz) or a big amount (50 mhz) ? any difference if directions is up or down? happens only on core?

acrowley23

W1zzard said:
does it make a difference if you change the frequency by a small amount (5 mhz) or a big amount (50 mhz) ? any difference if directions is up or down? happens only on core?

Wizzard...I must say NO.... i've seen this with low and high jumps.....
But I've the feeling thats more often when a bigger Step .....And I think it's the memory and not the Core..maybe both, I can't say it 100% sure!!
Cause when i have an XT Bios working, i've seen much earlier Artefacts ,so when there is basicly an unstable Memory, and then with this ,the Problem seems to be very much often more. So i think i could be the Ram, an maybe AtiTool's working and setting the Ram..
And it happens when going up "and" down... :( "sometimes, often like a "period"...

Also i've seen this Problem sometimes when i set the clock ,and these Screen takes his start only in the AtiTool Window..strange :confused:

Now after 4 Weeks with the orig Pro x800Vivo Bios, for me i can say for sure, thats not so often as with an XT Bios....cause the RamTimings????!! could there be the reason for this Prob??:confused:

GrEEtz

Last edited:

Freddy23

I'm having the same issue, happens sometimes if i raise my mem clock by 5 mhz to 565, but as said above not always and even in 2d mode. Card Sapphire X800Pro@XT (520/560). Have you guys overdive enabled, and what kind of catalyst driver and control panel are you using?

I use Cat 4.8 and the new Control Panel (Is kinda buggy in my opinion, but that's another question...)

acrowley23

i've tested all latest Catalyst....4.6- 4.9B it's not the Driver... and it's not Overdrive...

Sure, your Freeze could be ,cause it's too much Mhz for the Ram..such a Screen with Strings and so on is also a typical Ram Mistake at to high clockrates...
The Prob what i mean is at low clock to...and if i clock high or down...in 2d mode only, when changig the Profiles or the clock with AtiTool... not a question of the clockrats...

Do you have this only at high rates ??

But it's good to know tht more and more user have this Prob reported! :)

Thought my nice Card have maybe a damage cause it was from Ebay a Used one.. :D

Last edited:

Freddy23

Nope, I'm having it on ALL Rates: gpu and mem speeds don't matter, even if i start with 475/475 i sometimes get artifacts while changing clockrate to 470 for example

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
hmm i cant reproduce this .. x800 pro, default bios, i've just been testing 3000 clock changes at a rate of about 1000 changes per minute ... range was random value +-32 mhz for both core and mem at the same time.. i'll try a longer test now

Freddy23

this problem just happens sometimes at the first clock change after the pc is switched on, I never had any problems later with further clock changes. (but of course, after reboot the weird artifact-screen still comes back sometimes after the first clock change)
...this is a totally strange thing, but it seems i'm not the only one with this issue.

acrowley23

Freddy23 said:
this problem just happens sometimes at the first clock change after the pc is switched on, I never had any problems later with further clock changes. (but of course, after reboot the weird artifact-screen still comes back sometimes after the first clock change)
...this is a totally strange thing, but it seems i'm not the only one with this issue.

yeep..other users here in this Thread too...

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
doyou have lock reference divider in settings on?

Freddy23

W1zzard said:
doyou have lock reference divider in settings on?

No, I didn't, perhaps that was the problem...I will report changes later

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
no idea what causes this .. the reference divider was just an idea .. i cant reproduce it with my x800 pro non-vivo

acrowley23

I've no Idea too...but there must be something cause 6 People with exactly the same Problem here..
It can't be an too high OC, cause we're all have this at Default too! Also if with the pro pro and XT Bios. Only what is strange for me, and I can't say it for sure, i've the Card only for 4 Weeks..is that i seems like to be not so often as like with an Pro Bios. I've this with orig Pro Bios one time in 2 Weeks.. With an XT Bios sometimes 2 times a Day !! Cause that i tink about here before, it could be the Mem Timings were AtiTool is failed (or something) in some cases when changig the Clock MANUALLY(or Profile).
Otherwise i cannot believe it's an XT Bios cause some people here don't have any flashed Cards...Also the others said before too, that with the Cards everything is allright so far. Good Temps,no Artifacts..all is stable and cool running...

Its very Strange too.....This ONLY happens when changing manuelly something...With the automated 3d Profile (with any Clocksettings, low and high rates) loading it doesn't exist. 100% sure to say for me!
That shows, there must be something wrong Tool sited...

It's hard to say what's produce the Error, because there's is no constant Trigger, I can't reproduce it with every Time the same Trigger......but i'm 99% sure It's not the Card himself...there must be a crash with this Tools....dont know...I really hate It!! :(

Now I'm testing Powerstrip if there's this Problem too....in the moment I don't see it with PowerStrip...when its not there with it must be AtiTool and his routines himself....
GrEEtz

Last edited:

foreignkid

Not really sure if this is relevant... but I've had corruption somewhat similar to this when o/cing memory to high. I think it has something to to with 1 or 2 of the memchips not liking the speeds and crapping out on you without everything going completely bad.

http://www.nmt.edu/~lbaker/corrupt.jpg

acrowley23

looks like here's no Way out for it... :(

Finally, i only set the Clockrates over the ini. File and let it change autom..with 2d and 3d Profiles..That's working for me and the Problem is gone...
I found out, that when the Screen Mode is changing ,going over Blackscreen, change the clock ,and coming back.. the Way Powerstrips sometimes working on 2d Mode, there's no Freeze...not 1 time...
Only when changing the Clock "on the Fly" how AtiTool is working on 2d Mode it's going to freeze sometimes....
Don't no know why sometimes (not everytime), for example Powerstrip, is working in such a Way... But so the Problem is gone. Must be the same Way when AtiTool's changing autm. from 2d to 3d Mode so the Problem is gone too....

Never Mind..it's not a defect of our Cards..seems to be not relevant..and in this Way it's working for well at all...but i think there must be a Way to match that generally..I'm not the programmer

GrEEtz an Thanx

Last edited:

otbcsteve

I've uninstalled ATItool and since my system has been entirely stable, no graphics errors what-so-ever. I'm pretty sure it must be a bug, any idea if there will be a fix in the later versions?