• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Questions about X850Pro AGP

JustAnotherSquid

65tweet said:
What are your max GPU/Mem. Speeds with ATI Tool using the “new” method after flashing to 16 pipes?

540/580 with the stock cooling. Silencer5 should be here next week, and then I'll retest.

20PPC

Looking forward to your results Squid. I may have to order one as well. With stock cooling mine easily runs XT speeds, 520/540.

rivlez

well i bought the card last night, after learning about this mod a few months back. on my box from best buy it says directly where the UPC is X850XT. does anyone else have that also? well i flashed my card last night and i can't get any gaming action to work with the X850 XT PE bios and the X850 XT bios. why does this not work, i can't run 3dmarks or any kind of gaming, it just crashes. i'm gonna try flashin the x850 pro bios and keep the 16 pipes and see if that works, if not i'll just exchange the card and try again. i did the same thing to a x800pro last year and its been a x800 xt pe for almost a year and working flawlessly. hopefully i can do the same and get this card working correctly. any help is appreciated thanx

JustAnotherSquid

rivlez said:
on my box from best buy it says directly where the UPC is X850XT. does anyone else have that also?

Yes. My UPC code says "X850XT".

rivlez said:
well i flashed my card last night and i can't get any gaming action to work with the X850 XT PE bios and the X850 XT bios. why does this not work, i can't run 3dmarks or any kind of gaming, it just crashes.

Did you reinstall the latest release drivers from ATI after flashing the BIOS?

BTW, don't forget to flash your original BIOS back using ATIFlash to regain control of the fan.

rivlez

ya i uninstalled old drivers and put new ones and still couldn't do a single thing with the card. no 3dmarks or any gaming works, the card just dies out. i will try putting back the original bios, can someone post their original bios they had before flashing, i forgot to backup the bios from the card without thinkin about it. if someone can post that , that would be nice. thanx in advance.

JustAnotherSquid

rivlez said:
can someone post their original bios they had before flashing

Try this out ... this is the dump from my AGP card after unlocking 16 pipes. Default speed is 500/500.

Attachments

• x850_pro_agp_16pipe.zip
    34.2 KB · Views: 418

rivlez

do u possibly have the original backup before u did anything? i would like to try that and see if the card is actually functioning normally and its not a dud card. thanx

lesabre

Thanks From This Happy Camper

OK fellow OC'ers the support here is tremendous! If anyone's keeping score add my card running OC'ed and stable using the 520_540 bios and ATI's heatsink.
Just a thought here? This GPU runs real hot real fast! Then cools down as fast as copper dissappates heat.I know Of the Silencer 5 by Arctic Cooling.Does anyone know if the standard fan connnector on the video card can handle the wattage drawn by the Silencer 5 and thru the fan controller built into the card?

JustAnotherSquid

lesabre said:
OK fellow OC'ers the support here is tremendous! If anyone's keeping score add my card running OC'ed and stable using the 520_540 bios and ATI's heatsink.
Just a thought here? This GPU runs real hot real fast!

Did you follow the instructions on page 3 and then flash back your original bios with ATIFlash?

lesabre

JustAnotherSquid said:
Did you follow the instructions on page 3 and then flash back your original bios with ATIFlash?
followed directions exactly! Including the -p -f command changed the bios w/flashrom-restored it w/atiflash..
BTW: It's too soon to tell but I'm pretty sure the fan went back to its normal gradient speeds?
more benchmarks will tell!

JustAnotherSquid

lesabre said:
BTW: It's too soon to tell but I'm pretty sure the fan went back to its normal gradient speeds?
more benchmarks will tell!

If you've got fan control back and are still having trouble with heat, you can use ATITool's Fan Control to speed up the fan. I think the default control doesn't give 100% fan speed until 100degC and that's way too hot for us tinkerers. ;)

I've got mine set to go to 100% at 70degC, dropping 10% for every 5degC, and the card is happy so far at 520/540.

JustAnotherSquid

rivlez said:
do u possibly have the original backup before u did anything?

Here's the BIOS that came with the card. You'll have to use the modified flash to get it to overwrite the entire BIOS:

Attachments

• x_850_pro_agp.zip
    34.2 KB · Views: 380
Processor X5470 @ 4.1
Motherboard Asus P5Q pro
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory 6GB corsair 1066
Video Card(s) HIS 6970
Display(s) 34" ultrawide
Case antec 700
Power Supply Corsiar 750 watt
Mouse Razer Taipan
Keyboard Razer Arctosa
Software Win 8.1 64 bit
Did anybody try flashing with the ASUS XT PE bios from the bios page? I noticed it is 64 Kb and all the others are 57. I was wondering if ther were any differences? I'm waitin' on fed ex to deliver mine so I can't try anything yet. :(

JustAnotherSquid

I think that's because user-dumped BIOS' are the full 64K of BIOS space even if some of that BIOS space is not used, whereas the ones obtained from ATI have only the actual BIOS information - and in this case there is only 57K of actual BIOS data to be flashed.

The reason I assume that is because I dumped one of the 57K BIOS' and the dump was 64K, and in a hex viewer the last 7K or so was all FF's.

SeLrAhC

hmm hmm... so many success stories... but all agp

have any1 tried wif a pci-e x850pro vivo? >>> x850xt pe?

is there any diff?

i m now thinking whether 2 get a powercolour x850pro vivo... pls help guys

JustAnotherSquid

My (admittedly very limited) understanding is that only AGP X8x0 cards can be unlocked with just a BIOS flash.

But you should give it a shot anyway. Just make sure to dump your original BIOS so you can flash it bac k if you have to.

Also, you might want to read through this thread as it may have some tips for you:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=4971

SPHERE

Processor opteron 165
Motherboard dfi cfx3200
Cooling zalman 7000
Memory mushkin xp4000
Video Card(s) x1900xt
Storage 4x320 7200.10 raid
Display(s) 21" sony trinitron
Case v2000b lianli
Audio Device(s) x-fi platinum
Power Supply pcpac 510
Software gaydows
^just some of them. ;)

the pcie x850 pro is not known to be unlockable as far as i know but w1zzard says he saw someone do it a while back :)

SeLrAhC

thanks squid for d info,... but it didn't provide much info regarding my prob..

i wouldn't dare take the risk to buy d card not knowing that it can really b modded

thanks sean for d tip also... :)

20PPC

I installed a Silencer 5 today onto my modded X850 Pro. I ran it at 520/540 and got 5912 in 3DMark, so yet another nice gain on my system. And to top it off this heatsink works really well. I have it hardwired to 12V due to the LM63 issues but it is still quieter then the stock ATI heatsink running at only 54%. My peak core temps are hitting 47C now instead of in the 70s. The Silencer 5 is a really nice cooling solution for you X850 Pro modders. Now I need to try XT-PE speeds.

Processor X5470 @ 4.1
Motherboard Asus P5Q pro
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory 6GB corsair 1066
Video Card(s) HIS 6970
Display(s) 34" ultrawide
Case antec 700
Power Supply Corsiar 750 watt
Mouse Razer Taipan
Keyboard Razer Arctosa
Software Win 8.1 64 bit
Add another success! Flashed to XT PE then to XT. Results pro 12 pipes max 535/590, XT 535 571. I was hoping to have a higher core but that’s probably due to the cooling. This card has the exact cooler that my x800 had. The memory dropped more than I thought it would as well. An ATI silencer is a must. Did anybody else drop that much? A quick question for those of you that have and ATI silencer 5 rev.2. Did you use the pads it came with or use Arctic silver?
thanks

JustAnotherSquid

20PPC said:
I installed a Silencer 5 today onto my modded X850 Pro. I ran it at 520/540 and got 5912 in 3DMark, so yet another nice gain on my system. And to top it off this heatsink works really well. I have it hardwired to 12V due to the LM63 issues but it is still quieter then the stock ATI heatsink running at only 54%. My peak core temps are hitting 47C now instead of in the 70s. The Silencer 5 is a really nice cooling solution for you X850 Pro modders. Now I need to try XT-PE speeds.

Glad to hear it's everything people said it was! Mine arrived yesterday, and this weekend I should have time to install it, then we'll see how fast this puppy can go! ;)

SeLrAhC

ARGGH!!!

can some1 come up wif a success story for PCI-E? so far all AGP... zzz

txbitt

Another success!!

Hey thanks a lot Guys,
I am a newbie to this forum, just found a link on Futuremark. Used the information on this forum to successfully onlock my 850pro AGP(Sorry pci ex guys). I just bought the card at Best Buy for $249.00. I think it was a great buy now !!! This mod was so easy I almost felt like I was stealing or something. Again many thanks and I look forward to learning more on this site.

SPHERE

Processor opteron 165
Motherboard dfi cfx3200
Cooling zalman 7000
Memory mushkin xp4000
Video Card(s) x1900xt
Storage 4x320 7200.10 raid
Display(s) 21" sony trinitron
Case v2000b lianli
Audio Device(s) x-fi platinum
Power Supply pcpac 510
Software gaydows