• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI K9A2 - GIGABYTE MA790FX-DS5 - Phenom 9600 BE Problems

PTECH

Well I have been having a rough week. First I get the MSI board but no matter what I do. I can not get it to recognise all four banks of memory regardless of different types memory tried. I have lowered the timing all the way down to 400MHz but nothing. I just can't figure this one out.

So i get a Gigabyte MA790FX-DS5 and it will not even post. Again, used different memory, CPU's graphics cards. Nothing. Question here is does this board need the 8pin power connection to operate the Phenom 9600 BE. My power supply only has a four pin for that and the other half has a blank on it. The book is really vague on the subject.

Setup
Either board
Memory 4G 2x2 for a total of 6G
MSI NX8800GTS Video
Phenom 9600 BE
Power supply is 500W

PTECH

As a FYI for everyone. I found that the Bios on the Gigabyte board needed to be upgraded to even recognize the Phenom CPU. I borrowed my wife's CPU, booted just fine, updated the Bios and re-installed my CPU and all is good. Should not have to go through all that to get something to work. Lucky my wife had a AM2 CPU or I was screwed.

System Name Addison Clark
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x3D delid
Motherboard Asus X670E Hero
Cooling Custom Bykski loop CPU, GPU, 2x 360 rads, and 1x 280 rad with Arctic P12 and P14 ARGB fans
Memory G.Skill DDR5-6000 64GB CL30
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 4090 Aorus Master
Storage Kingston Fury 2TB and 4TB NVME
Display(s) Samsung 57"
Case Lian Li O11 mini
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake 1000w SFX-L
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB SE
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platnium
Software Win 11 Pro
Lately I've seen alot of systems come in due to stability issues and we find the Thermaltake 800W Toughpower has no problems and the system run great, which I think is due to the PSU having an 8-pin and the customers PSU's only have a 4 pin. I would highly recommend to find a good brand PSU with the 8-pin just so you don't run into issues later.

Processor AMD Phenom II 1055T @ 3.6ghz 1.3V
Motherboard Asus M5A97 EVO
Cooling Xigmatek SD1284
Memory 2x4GB Patriot Sector 5 PC3-12800 @ 7-8-7-24-1T 1.7V
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 7950 DD @ 1100/1350 1.185V
Storage OCZ Agility 3 120GB + 2x7200.12 500GB Raid1
Display(s) QNIX QX2710 27" LCD 1440p @ 120hz
Case Cooler Master 690M
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Enermax Liberty 620W Eco Edition
Software Windows 7 Professional x64 / Ubuntu 12.04 x64
So you know, that motherboard doesn't recognize any DDR2 1066 RAM on stock BIOS. It also has trouble with some DDR2 800/667 RAM, but after the BIOS update, all is well. As for the 8pin connector, if you're overclocking, I'd suggest getting a PSU that supports the EPS 12V 8pin standard. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it (although who buys a BE processor to run at stock- even though these Phenoms don't go too much further). Also, don't worry about the molex at the bottom of the motherboard unless you are utilizing dual video cards (Crossfire X).

This board is the best I've ever owned (after updating the BIOS, of course!).

PTECH

Lately I've seen alot of systems come in due to stability issues and we find the Thermaltake 800W Toughpower has no problems and the system run great, which I think is due to the PSU having an 8-pin and the customers PSU's only have a 4 pin. I would highly recommend to find a good brand PSU with the 8-pin just so you don't run into issues later.

Thanks, i already did.

So you know, that motherboard doesn't recognize any DDR2 1066 RAM on stock BIOS. It also has trouble with some DDR2 800/667 RAM, but after the BIOS update, all is well. As for the 8pin connector, if you're overclocking, I'd suggest getting a PSU that supports the EPS 12V 8pin standard. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it (although who buys a BE processor to run at stock- even though these Phenoms don't go too much further). Also, don't worry about the molex at the bottom of the motherboard unless you are utilizing dual video cards (Crossfire X).

This board is the best I've ever owned (after updating the BIOS, of course!).

Sounds like you could give me some nice settings for my Bios? Thanks for the help.

Eoghan Mag

Explain please the bit about power supply again. When I plug into this board with the two 4pin power supplies that came with my OCZ Stealth X Stream power supply 600W and I also plug in the main power connector then the system will not operate. On the main power supply rail there is a second plug with 4 pins. This has to left out and only one 4 pin power supply plugged in for any power to go through the system. The instruction manual is terrible.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
The BIOS which the GA-790FX-DS5 ships with doesn't support the 9600 BE though it supports 9600. You can check the CPU Support list on Gigabyte's website and the "since BIOS" column. Many Newegg.com reviews I've read tell the same thing. You can use an older AM2 processor to flash the board's BIOS to the latest one available and merrily use the 9600 BE.

PTECH

Explain please the bit about power supply again. When I plug into this board with the two 4pin power supplies that came with my OCZ Stealth X Stream power supply 600W and I also plug in the main power connector then the system will not operate. On the main power supply rail there is a second plug with 4 pins. This has to left out and only one 4 pin power supply plugged in for any power to go through the system. The instruction manual is terrible.

I had similar problem and the board is real finicky. Plug all cable in and if it does not start. Unplug the system from the wall outlet and it should then start. I also had to push the power button two times at first to get it to power up. If your using a Phenom, put a AM2 CPU in and flash Bios or the system won't post.

The BIOS which the GA-790FX-DS5 ships with doesn't support the 9600 BE though it supports 9600. You can check the CPU Support list on Gigabyte's website and the "since BIOS" column. Many Newegg.com reviews I've read tell the same thing. You can use an older AM2 processor to flash the board's BIOS to the latest one available and merrily use the 9600 BE.

Oh how that brings back bad memories.:D

Processor AMD Phenom II 1055T @ 3.6ghz 1.3V
Motherboard Asus M5A97 EVO
Cooling Xigmatek SD1284
Memory 2x4GB Patriot Sector 5 PC3-12800 @ 7-8-7-24-1T 1.7V
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 7950 DD @ 1100/1350 1.185V
Storage OCZ Agility 3 120GB + 2x7200.12 500GB Raid1
Display(s) QNIX QX2710 27" LCD 1440p @ 120hz
Case Cooler Master 690M
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Enermax Liberty 620W Eco Edition
Software Windows 7 Professional x64 / Ubuntu 12.04 x64
Sounds like you could give me some nice settings for my Bios? Thanks for the help.

I'd like to, but from what I've read here, a Phenom overclocks quite differently than a Brisbane. As for non-overclocking tweaks, save yourself hours of pain and suffering by just setting both SATA controllers to EIDE mode from AHCI mode if you are using Vista RTM (they work perfect in AHCI in XP x64- haven't tried Vista SP1 RTM yet).

PTECH

I'd like to, but from what I've read here, a Phenom overclocks quite differently than a Brisbane. As for non-overclocking tweaks, save yourself hours of pain and suffering by just setting both SATA controllers to EIDE mode from AHCI mode if you are using Vista RTM (they work perfect in AHCI in XP x64- haven't tried Vista SP1 RTM yet).

I'm using Vista 64bit, I'll give it a try later. Thanks

Eoghan Mag

PTECH thanks! So far the system has not crashed. I have the two 4 pin plugs in now. It will not start under any circumstances if I put the entire 24 pins in along the main power supply. It seems alright with only the 20 pin connector. Curiously I can play audio and video but my DVD players are not working. Previously I had the DVD players working fine. Is this a case of missing codecs? I downloaded an updated BIOS from Megabyte's website as a file on this computer. Should I now transfer this across to the other build and see what happens? Do I need a special program to implement the changes or will it apply the changes on startup?

PTECH

PTECH thanks! So far the system has not crashed. I have the two 4 pin plugs in now. It will not start under any circumstances if I put the entire 24 pins in along the main power supply. It seems alright with only the 20 pin connector. Curiously I can play audio and video but my DVD players are not working. Previously I had the DVD players working fine. Is this a case of missing codecs? I downloaded an updated BIOS from Megabyte's website as a file on this computer. Should I now transfer this across to the other build and see what happens? Do I need a special program to implement the changes or will it apply the changes on startup?

If i understand you correctly. That system should not even boot without that 2x2 4 pin power connection hooked up. If you saying you just did the live update and flashed your Bios. You may need to reset some settings in Bios as it restores defaults. Example, I needed to remove the 1.44G floppy.

I was just re-reading your post. You need the entire 24 pin connection connected in additon to the four pin connection near the back right. Half of it is capped. My setup has a 20pin with a 4 pin that slides down next to it and then the other 4 pin in the back.

What CPU are you running?

Eoghan Mag

My CPU is an AMD Phenom 9500 AM2+. My system did not stay stable very long and today will not run for more than 15 minutes without freezing up. It is stalling in the middle of playing a DVD, which somehow I managed to get operational. I don't understand how removing the floppy drive could impact on the system. Is this the same as taking out a video card that is acting up and reinstalling it?

In the meantime I will take another look at the BIOS settings and if that fails to remedy the situation I will take out my floppy drive and see what happens.

PTECH

My CPU is an AMD Phenom 9500 AM2+. My system did not stay stable very long and today will not run for more than 15 minutes without freezing up. It is stalling in the middle of playing a DVD, which somehow I managed to get operational. I don't understand how removing the floppy drive could impact on the system. Is this the same as taking out a video card that is acting up and reinstalling it?

In the meantime I will take another look at the BIOS settings and if that fails to remedy the situation I will take out my floppy drive and see what happens.

What is your complete setup information. I had a lot of problems before I got my Bios setting correct. Now Crysis set to High, no lagging.

Eoghan Mag

I don't know if the casing has any impact on the overall set up but I will include this here anyway.

Case: NXT HUSH 2X Blue led fans, screwless design.
1 Samsung DVD±RW burner, SH-S202N, 20x, Dual, LightScribe, OEM
1 Plextor DVD±RW burner, PX-810SA, SATA, 18x, 10x Dual, DVD-RAM
PSU: OCZ StealthXStream Powersupply ATX/EPS, 600W, 120mm Fan, 4/8pin CPU, 20/24pin
Memory: OCZ Gold XTC DDR2 PC6400 4096MB KIT, w/two 2048MB PC6400 XTC, CL5-5-5-15
OCZ Platinum DDR2 PC6400 2048MB KIT, w/two 1024MB PC6400 XTC
CPU: AMD Phenom 9500 2.2GHz Boxed, 4MB Cache, Socket AM2+
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5, AMD 790FX, DDR2 ,Socket-AM2+,ATX, GbLAN,2xPCI-Ex(2.0)x16
I don't know what make or brand the floppy is as I pulled it out of a very old machine.

Graphics cards Sapphire ATI Radeon 1950 PCI 16x
Pinnacle PCTV Dual Hybrid Pro PCI Express

Last edited:

PTECH

I don't know if the casing has any impact on the overall set up but I will include this here anyway.

Case: NXT HUSH 2X Blue led fans, screwless design.
1 Samsung DVD±RW burner, SH-S202N, 20x, Dual, LightScribe, OEM
1 Plextor DVD±RW burner, PX-810SA, SATA, 18x, 10x Dual, DVD-RAM
PSU: OCZ StealthXStream Powersupply ATX/EPS, 600W, 120mm Fan, 4/8pin CPU, 20/24pin
Memory: OCZ Gold XTC DDR2 PC6400 4096MB KIT, w/two 2048MB PC6400 XTC, CL5-5-5-15
OCZ Platinum DDR2 PC6400 2048MB KIT, w/two 1024MB PC6400 XTC
CPU: AMD Phenom 9500 2.2GHz Boxed, 4MB Cache, Socket AM2+
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5, AMD 790FX, DDR2 ,Socket-AM2+,ATX, GbLAN,2xPCI-Ex(2.0)x16
I don't know what make or brand the floppy is as I pulled it out of a very old machine.

Ok, I had problems with my Bios with it CPU multiplier set to auto. I have the 9600 BE and set my multiplier to 11.5.

Install this program and run it. Take screen shots. On the top right tab. Let the program do some adjusting for you. Something is a little overclocked in your Bios. Also, this board does have memory problems.

Download

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/906/AMD_Overdrive_2.0.14_Beta.html

You did upgrade your Bios, correct?

Eoghan Mag

So far I think I have made things worse by using this program. It now stalls with a long beep from the system speaker. I could not figure out how to reset the multiplier. What do I do with the screen shots that I took? Can I post them on this thread and see if anyone can make sense of them?

System Name AMD/ATI PHENOM MONSTER
Processor AMD Phenom II 965BE
Motherboard ASUS M4A785TD-V EVA
Cooling Air right know. Water later
Memory 4bg Corsair Dominator PC3 8500 9,9,9,24 2t timing
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD7950 Vapor-X
Storage 5x 500gb sata3.0 Seagate in RAID 0 - 2x 160gb Seagate for backup
Display(s) MAG INNOVISION 19in LCD 2ms 1600:1cr, 22in LED 2ms-5ms
Case Thermaltake Armor QuadFX edition
Power Supply 1000w Thermaltake toughpower
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Benchmark Scores 3Dmark06 10712 single card and no oc, 12071 with cpu @ 2.8ghz and card oced, 13877 with crossfire.
You have to reset cmos unless you already did that. Its a pin on the board you switch it and then switch it back and it should boot up fine (If you can't find it look in the manual). Hope that helps

PTECH

So far I think I have made things worse by using this program. It now stalls with a long beep from the system speaker. I could not figure out how to reset the multiplier. What do I do with the screen shots that I took? Can I post them on this thread and see if anyone can make sense of them?

Yes you can post them on this thread. Look to the upper right corner of the page when typing a message. You will see "quick upload image"

You have to reset cmos unless you already did that. Its a pin on the board you switch it and then switch it back and it should boot up fine (If you can't find it look in the manual). Hope that helps

Yes clearing CMOS will reset the defaults in Bios and it should boot. On your board it is located on the corner where your SATA and front panel connections are made. There is no jumper, you need to short the pins across.

When you get booted, first load Optimized defaults for your Phenom and see how it works. Also, since your mix-matching memory. Try and use just two of the same sticks. Remember, this board has memory problems. Don't do any overclocking, just get it running and we can go from there. Try putting your CPU multiplier between 9 and 11 and see how that runs. Bump your memory voltage just a bit.

Eoghan Mag

Is there any difference between shorting the pins across and taking out the battery for 5 seconds? As far as I can read the manual it is the same bar when I short across then I have to reset BIOS to Load Optimised Defaults which is the factory setting. I have tried this on a previous attempt plus I have tried to set up with only 2 matching cards. I will attempt this again now step by step.

1 Remove 2 memory modules
2 Short across the jumpers
3 Reset BIOS to default

I will let you know what happens after these steps, if it freezes or acts in a strange manner.

Eoghan Mag

After these 3 steps I now have no sound and my display is messed up. When I say messed up I mean that I have 2 connection ports on the back of my video card and no matter which port I plug the monitor into it will not show what I want it to on screen. For example when I click the sound manager the setting panel seems to 'fly off the screen' as if it is being routed to another monitor. The fact that I have the sound manager open is shown by the fact that it is at the bottom of my screen on the taskbar. It is something to do with enabling display adapters but it is escaping my knowledge at the present.

I can't start up with the video card removed as the on board connection to the monitor is different to the connection on the video card.

The system lasted about 25 minutes in this state and then it froze again.

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX 1.1
Cooling Noctua NB-U12A
Memory 2x 32GB Fury DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 5700 XT Red Dragon
Storage Kingston FURY Renegade 2TB PCIe 4.0
Display(s) 2x Dell U2412M
Case Phanteks P400A
Audio Device(s) Hifimediy Sabre 9018 USB DAC
Power Supply Corsair AX850 (from 2012)
Software Windows 10?
borked graphics card try another one?
you must run IDE Mode on the SB600 unless you have SP1 if am not mistaking.

Eoghan Mag

borked graphics card try another one?
you must run IDE Mode on the SB600 unless you have SP1 if am not mistaking.

Please explain this. I did put in another video card but it is over 10 years old! That sort of defeats the purpose of the new card. The new video card display was working fine until I carried out the 3 steps that I outlined. I do not understand at all what you mean by:
you must run IDE Mode on the SB600 unless you have SP1 if am not mistaking

PTECH

Please explain this. I did put in another video card but it is over 10 years old! That sort of defeats the purpose of the new card. The new video card display was working fine until I carried out the 3 steps that I outlined. I do not understand at all what you mean by:

They didn't make PCIE tens years ago.

1. Enter Bios
2. Load Optimized defaults.
3. Go through Bios and make sure all onboard options you need are ENABLED.
4. Very important with Vista 64, Make sure you set the correct date and time in Bios. My Vista gets really screwed up if the date is not right.
5. What are you doing each time when you crash?
6. Try resetting all your cards and devices.
7. Try running in Safe mode and see if it crashes.

I really think your having some sort of heat issue. I ask before but have you done the Bios update on the board? Would be F3 on top of screen during boot if you did. This is your problem if you haven't.

Eoghan Mag

I am getting very close to chucking this motherboard out the window! I stripped it bare and used an old card to enable the monitor. I reset the BIOS and then I implemented the BIOS update and it still is freezing. I now know that the fault is not being caused by the video card, therefore the fault must lie with the board. The only thing I can think of doing is trying to take screen shots but there is no guarantee that the machine will stay on long enough for me to do that. I will try safe mode before this but as so much stuff is disabled in safe mode I'd say it will just last about 5 minutes longer before crashing.

Last edited: