• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New prototype Noctua CPU cooler spotted @ Computex

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
New Noctua Heatsink spotted at Computex!
This would definitely win the TRUE 120 and NH-U12P...
Now i wonder if can put 3 P12s in it.. hahaha..

Note that the design is similar to the IFX, but the IFX is 8 heatpipes.. 4 per side..
this baby is 12 heatpies, 6 per side!!!!!!

From the small words, seems to be nehalem compatible.. wonder if 775 can use..

Source: hardwarezone forums

Looks sweet ...

ZenEffect

looks like push/pull/push/pull for 3 fans. should be able to dissipate over 210 watts of heat!
reading anandtech's recent article on nehalem... this cooler should be more than adequate for a decent overclock. *dont believe the fudd rumors*

*number figured by average of heatpipe transfer capacities of 35watts x 6 heat pipes, number may be more but i doubt less from the look of things*

panchoman

Sold my stars!
Processor Amd Athlon X2 4600+ Windsor(90nm) EE(65W) @2.9-3.0 @1.45
Motherboard Biostar Tforce [Nvidia] 550
Cooling Thermaltake Blue Orb-- bunch of other fans here and there....
Memory 2 gigs (2x1gb) of patriot ddr2 800 @ 4-4-4-12-2t
Video Card(s) Sapphire X1950pro Pci-E x16 @stock@stock on stock
Storage Seagate 7200.11 250gb Drive, WD raptors (30/40) in Raid 0
Display(s) ANCIENT 15" sony lcd, bought it when it was like 500 bucks
Case Apevia X-plorer blue/black
Audio Device(s) Onboard- Why get an sound card when you can hum??
Power Supply Antec NeoHe 550-manufactured by seasonic -replacement to the discontinued smart power series
Software Windows XP pro SP2 -- vista is still crap
pointless.. the ifx 14 only does 1-2C better then a ultra 120.. something tells me this will have the same story. sure its great that it can dissipate 210 watts of heat.. but it cant cool below ambient, putting it in the same temp range as all of the other high end air coolers.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Audio Device(s) Onboard
pointless.. the ifx 14 only does 1-2C better then a ultra 120.. something tells me this will have the same story. sure its great that it can dissipate 210 watts of heat.. but it cant cool below ambient, putting it in the same temp range as all of the other high end air coolers.

It's the idle temps that won't change, but the load temps should: the better the cooler, the better the load temps, right?

ZenEffect

It's the idle temps that won't change, but the load temps should: the better the cooler, the better the load temps, right?

that was my train of thought. i dont see why everybody has to keep it shiny though. anodize everything black and you will get better performance. silver *the color* is actually one of the worst radiators of heat energy. guess fashion over function wins again...

Duffman

System Name Black Knight
Processor Intel Xeon W3520 @4.2Ghz
Motherboard evga Classified 760
Cooling Prolimatech Mega Shadow with Dual Noctua NF-P12 fans
Memory 6GB Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 (3gb x 2) 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
Storage Corsair P128 SSD for OS, 4 Samsung 500GB in RAID10 For Storage
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster T240HD
Case Corsair Obsidian 800d Twin Zalman ZM-MFC Plus fan controllers
Audio Device(s) HT|OMEGA CLARO
Power Supply Antec Truepower 1000
Software Win7 64bit ultimate
i love my Noctua and all but it seems they can only Copy off of Thermalright...

their fans on the other hand are unique and the shisnit.

panchoman

Sold my stars!
Processor Amd Athlon X2 4600+ Windsor(90nm) EE(65W) @2.9-3.0 @1.45
Motherboard Biostar Tforce [Nvidia] 550
Cooling Thermaltake Blue Orb-- bunch of other fans here and there....
Memory 2 gigs (2x1gb) of patriot ddr2 800 @ 4-4-4-12-2t
Video Card(s) Sapphire X1950pro Pci-E x16 @stock@stock on stock
Storage Seagate 7200.11 250gb Drive, WD raptors (30/40) in Raid 0
Display(s) ANCIENT 15" sony lcd, bought it when it was like 500 bucks
Case Apevia X-plorer blue/black
Audio Device(s) Onboard- Why get an sound card when you can hum??
Power Supply Antec NeoHe 550-manufactured by seasonic -replacement to the discontinued smart power series
Software Windows XP pro SP2 -- vista is still crap

idle temps are virtually the same for mid to high end coolers. high end coolers are all within the same range even at load temps, and that change is close to the ambient temp... if this cooler can do 210w of dissipation.. that would mean that it could easily cool all new cpu's at stock temp at full load and still remain at ambient temps..

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Audio Device(s) Onboard
i love my Noctua and all but it seems they can only Copy off of Thermalright...

their fans on the other hand are unique and the shisnit.

Can't say anything about that due to lack of info.

About this cooler, it's the first one that i've seen that appears to be able to hold 3 fans.

Duffman

System Name Black Knight
Processor Intel Xeon W3520 @4.2Ghz
Motherboard evga Classified 760
Cooling Prolimatech Mega Shadow with Dual Noctua NF-P12 fans
Memory 6GB Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 (3gb x 2) 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
Storage Corsair P128 SSD for OS, 4 Samsung 500GB in RAID10 For Storage
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster T240HD
Case Corsair Obsidian 800d Twin Zalman ZM-MFC Plus fan controllers
Audio Device(s) HT|OMEGA CLARO
Power Supply Antec Truepower 1000
Software Win7 64bit ultimate
if that is the case, it might differentiate it a bit. But is that really necessary? I almost think my NH-U12p with two fans is overkill. I haven't really bothered to test the difference between one and two fans on it but the TUT with one fan slightly betters it with only one fan IIRC.

spdz

that was my train of thought. i dont see why everybody has to keep it shiny though. anodize everything black and you will get better performance. silver *the color* is actually one of the worst radiators of heat energy. guess fashion over function wins again...

to be honest it wont... at least from what i am thinking...

black will absorb more ambient heat or (heat from the case) or the atmosphere.. therefore an increase of temperature ....as we know 1C is regard as a winning number when it comes to OCing and cooling.

while on the other hand shinny materials reflect the heat from any source acting like a mirror or glass in skyscraper which the environmentalist are so eager to break each and every piece of them as they reflect too much heat/radiation from sun.

thats why solar panel are made out of darker colored background and not shiny background.

however, i am not too sure if nickel coating will effect the performance of plain copper units. as copper has higher thermal coefficient than nickel by miles(copper at 410 W/m K and nickel at 91 W/m K @20C) that is copper can transmit 410W of energy per meter @ the specific temperature... *correct me if i am wrong*:roll::roll:

thats why other than making them cleaner and more ~BLING~ i really dont find any reason why on earth they coat copper with nickel. talking about oxidization....... i have been using a few aftermarket cooler which were made out of copper(namely zalman gpu coolers)... they dont oxidize... and they somehow looks more professional in copper red/orange...

just my long $0.02

ZenEffect

black will absorb more ambient heat or (heat from the case) or the atmosphere.. therefore an increase of temperature ....as we know 1C is regard as a winning number when it comes to OCing and cooling.

ahh. good thought however.... if the heat source being dissipated is higher than ambient case temperature, it can only radiate/dissipate the heat, it can not absorb. otherwise you would be violating the 2nd law of thermodynamics. however, if you have bad case flow, then i can see your point.

spdz

ahh. good thought however.... if the heat source being dissipated is higher than ambient case temperature, it can only radiate/dissipate the heat, it can not absorb. otherwise you would be violating the 2nd law of thermodynamics. however, if you have bad case flow, then i can see your point.

great.... hmmmm nvr think of that when i am replying... :)
lol ima such a noob... :banghead:
however wont black be difficult to release heat than other brighter colors? even tho the heatsink is at a higher temp.. shudnt it be harder to dissipate heat?

Processor C2Q6600 @ 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Memory GEiL2 x 1 GB PC2 6400
Video Card(s) MSi 4830 (RIP)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB Perpendicular Recording
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software MCE2K5

while on the other hand shinny materials reflect the heat from any source acting like a mirror or glass in skyscraper which the environmentalist are so eager to break each and every piece of them as they reflect too much heat/radiation from sun.

thats why solar panel are made out of darker colored background and not shiny background.

however, i am not too sure if nickel coating will effect the performance of plain copper units. as copper has higher thermal coefficient than nickel by miles(copper at 410 W/m K and nickel at 91 W/m K @20C) that is copper can transmit 410W of energy per meter @ the specific temperature... *correct me if i am wrong*:roll::roll:

thats why other than making them cleaner and more ~BLING~ i really dont find any reason why on earth they coat copper with nickel. talking about oxidization....... i have been using a few aftermarket cooler which were made out of copper(namely zalman gpu coolers)... they dont oxidize... and they somehow looks more professional in copper red/orange...

just my long $0.02

it will absorb fastest but it will also release more and heat moves in a gradient i dont thing the hot cpu cooler would absorb heat from the cooler surroundings but the other way around :)

remember the old school fridge radiators, black, weren't they?