• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

x800 dead after flashing

tonedi

have a x800 pro which has been succesfully flashed to a x800 xt with 16p. Tried flashing to a x800 PE but was too unstable so flashed back to a x800 xt bios. This however was a different xt bios than the one I tried before and screwed my card. Card will not boot at all! even with a pci card which I've used once before to restore a backup I cannot boot with my agp card in the system. If I remove the agp card or replace it with another everything works! Is there anyway I can get to my card to restore the bios?

any help would be appreciated.

Processor X5470 @ 4.1
Motherboard Asus P5Q pro
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory 6GB corsair 1066
Video Card(s) HIS 6970
Display(s) 34" ultrawide
Case antec 700
Power Supply Corsiar 750 watt
Mouse Razer Taipan
Keyboard Razer Arctosa
Software Win 8.1 64 bit
Go into your bios settings and make PCI your primary display adaptor. When you boot into windows use the latest version of winflash found on the bios page and flash the bios that worked. Make sure you don’t flash the pci card and it won’t hurt to back up its bios first just incase.

tonedi

thnx for the reply. Did make the change in bios to boot from pci but the problem is the pc won't boot while the agp card is in place. If i take out the agp card or change it to another the system boots up fine using the pci card as primary vga.

If I remove the agp card and (if I'm quick enough) put the agp card in when the system boots flashrom -i tells me there is no ati graphic card!

If I could flash the x800 with it's original bios all would be sweet.. but just can't get to it!

Processor X5470 @ 4.1
Motherboard Asus P5Q pro
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory 6GB corsair 1066
Video Card(s) HIS 6970
Display(s) 34" ultrawide
Case antec 700
Power Supply Corsiar 750 watt
Mouse Razer Taipan
Keyboard Razer Arctosa
Software Win 8.1 64 bit
tonedi said:
If I remove the agp card and (if I'm quick enough) put the agp card in when the system boots flashrom -i tells me there is no ati graphic card!
Use winflash not flashrom. If you can see the agp card in the device manager in windows it will work. The key here obviously is to just get the computer to boot so whatever you are doing don’t worry about getting the card to work at this point. If you can disable agp this may help too and don't connect a monitor to it either. If you still can't get the computer to boot then try using a computer with intergrated graphics. I had to do this and play with the boot device (AGP/PCI) priority a couple times but it worked. Just be sure to select the correct card when you flash. Make sure the power is plugged into it too! Good luck.

Last edited:

tonedi

ok thanxs I'll give that a go. Have a pc at work with intergrated graphics. At the moment if I can get the pc to boot at all with the agp card in it will only get as far as a boot disk. Won't load windows at all! If I take out the card windows loads no prob with the pci card.

I'm beginning to think it's a lost cause.. time for a x850 perhaps :) just seems a waste if I can't get the x800 to work :(

tonedi

update.. it's dead as a... I'm beginning to think the bios I used was infact a pci-e not agp.. cant think of any other reason why it would just die!

I take it there is no way of recovering from a pci-e bios flash on a agp card?