• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Setting up RAID 0 --- without a floppy drive?

System Name Black Panther
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO Wifi 1.0
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
Memory 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX2080 Ti Dual 11GB DDR6
Storage Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD M.2 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Display(s) 32'' Gigabyte G32QC 2560x1440 165Hz
Case NZXT H710i Black
Audio Device(s) Razer Electra V2 & Z5500 Speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 Gold 80+
Mouse Some Corsair lost the box forgot the model
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
I'm getting a laptop with 2 x 120GB HDD's to set them in raid 0 array.

I never had raid array on any pc before... so I googled for some instructions. All seem to say that a floppy disk and drive is indispensible?

Does that mean that one cannot set raid 0 without floppy? :ohwell:

Also (excuse my n00bness here), where I'm getting the laptop from lists these options:

No RAID +0,00EUR
RAID 0 +0,00EUR
RAID 1 +0,00EUR
RAID 5 +0,00EUR

Which means I can choose the array. And I selected RAID 0.

Does that mean that the RAID setup will be ready up and running from the supplier and that I don't need to do anything? (I'm going to install the OS myself).

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Slipstream the RAID AHCI drivers into your Windows Installation CD/DVDs using V-Lite (vista) or N-Lite (XP).

Processor i9 9900k
Case NZXT H710i Black
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
That means there is no chance that the supplier is going to make the Raid array himself, and that Raid can only be done after the Vista is installed?

(if so why does he put the raid choices in the purchase specifications?)

The idea that you require a floppydrive for these things is wrong. Just like any other storage device a RAID controller requires a driver. If this driver isn't included in the OS setup won't find a drive. XP is for some reason limited to finding this driver on a floppy.

Though like BTA said, you can slipstream it into your install CD. Make sure you install the textmode driver, and ONLY the right one, installing a wrong driver = crash.

As for running RAID 0 on a laptop, that's just pointless and dangerous. Laptop drives tend to be moved around a lot since they're in a laptop. Odds of them breaking are therefor increased. Add that to the fact that a single drive failure destroys data on both disks (or more if you have a bigger array) and you have a disaster waiting to happen. I can't image the gained performance is required on a mobile system.
If data safety isn't your concern don't use RAID, if it is you can use RAID 1. RAID 5 is impossible with two drives.

That means there is no chance that the supplier is going to make the Raid array himself, and that Raid can only be done after the Vista is installed?

(if so why does he put the raid choices in the purchase specifications?)

No, if they list RAID levels with prices (although free) it means they'll configure it for you. If the machine comes with Windows installed they probably use their own CD with the driver or external floppy.

Processor i9 9900k
Case NZXT H710i Black
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
As for running RAID 0 on a laptop, that's just pointless and dangerous. Laptop drives tend to be moved around a lot since they're in a laptop. Odds of them breaking are therefor increased. Add that to the fact that a single drive failure destroys data on both disks (or more if you have a bigger array) and you have a disaster waiting to happen. I can't image the gained performance is required on a mobile system.
If data safety isn't your concern don't use RAID, if it is you can use RAID 1. RAID 5 is impossible with two drives.

Thanks for the good advice - data safety isn't my concern. I was going to choose either one 250GB drive or 2 x 120GB in Raid 0 and opted for the latter for increased performance.
The only 'data' I'll be keeping is that of games (which I can always reinstall if something goes wrong) and if I have a particular save I don't want to lose I'll back it up on USB drive. :)

I did ask the seller about whether I will have the Raid ready or have to do it myself, but he replied "Raid configurations is changable at every notebook start but afer a change you could loos the data on a raid stripe." I don't think he understood me since English is neither his nor my native language lol!:laugh:

But what Dan said here makes sense -
No, if they list RAID levels with prices (although free) it means they'll configure it for you.

D

Deleted member 38767

Vista has drivers for most of the onboard RAID controlers and if hasn't you can use USB drive to load drivers.