• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hi-Power Black 700W PSU advice

Read the psu guide it didnt really help me so i decided to ask.

Im thinking of getting the Hi-Power Black 700W PSU and i need to know if it isnt a crappy psu, ive seen a lot of ezcool psu and i have one just now and would like to stay away from them.

Dont worry about the price im not buying it from ebuyer.

All i want to know is it any good?

Currently i have a 500W Ezcool crappy mc crappyson.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/135197

i bet its shit just wanted to ask since the specs seem good nad it had good ebuyer reviews

only have around £30-£35 to spend on a psu and i know that is not a lot

System Name Ma Biatch
Processor i7 860
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3A
Cooling Noctua
Memory 8gb (4x2gb) G-Skill
Video Card(s) GTX 470
Storage WD5000aaks raid0
Display(s) Sony Bravia 37" 1080p
Case CM 690
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX520
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
its probably better than your ezcool your using atm, but there not a very good brand afaik, i was tempted to buy a 700w modular hi-power psu myself recently until i opted for my coolermaster 520w which will undoubtably last me longer and be more stable, sometimes less is more, for instance my coolermaster would power an sli/crossfire system and i would be very dubious about using the hi-power psu you mentioned in a similar setup

System Name Ma Biatch
Processor i7 860
Cooling Noctua
Video Card(s) GTX 470
Storage WD5000aaks raid0
Case CM 690
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Last edited by a moderator:
my psu is making me BSOD all the time

i need one thats higher wattage than the one i have but is a little bit quality because thing is i think its to do with voltage and my psu, a better higher power psu will solve my problems

check my spec to see i think a 550watt should be okay but a 600watt would be prefereable

System Name Ma Biatch
Processor i7 860
Cooling Noctua
Video Card(s) GTX 470
Storage WD5000aaks raid0
Case CM 690
Audio Device(s) Onboard
my psu is making me BSOD all the time

i need one thats higher wattage than the one i have but is a little bit quality because thing is i think its to do with voltage and my psu, a better higher power psu will solve my problems

check my spec to see i think a 550watt should be okay but a 600watt would be prefereable

a good 500w is more than sufficient, theres also an antec basiqpower for around £40 on ebuyer if you cant stretch to the corsair.

its not higher wattage you need, you need a good quality and stable psu from a reputable brand with decent rails, and how do you know the psu is causing your bsod' ?

Because i have another thread and we came to conclusion that it was the psu.
Ive tried replacing the ram and cpu and i know my motherboard is fine, my graphics card isnt the problem either.

Recently i had a few IRQ bsods i used to get and i was told it was ram or driver realated. I replaced the ram with better stuff, i thought it was conflicting IRQ and memory addresses then i found out devices can share and use IRQ and memory address and this was normal.

It cant be a faulty cpu socket either as ive had cpus running in it before, i got bsods with my old cpu too so the problem has to be linked. Ive gotten vista ultimate 64x since changing hardware too so it cant be driver ect.

So i guessed it was the PSU, since when i overclock im guarenteed a bsod even i little overclock i knew it was the psu, the psu dosnt like increases in voltage and i have new hardware like my new hard drive and dvd drive i have lots of fans connected up too 6 of them in all.

I think the psu cant handle all that voltage and maybe the hardware needs a little more power.

Since its an old psu by at least 2yrs maybe more i knew i shouldnt be running it!

sorry for the long speech :eek:

System Name Ma Biatch
Processor i7 860
Cooling Noctua
Video Card(s) GTX 470
Storage WD5000aaks raid0
Case CM 690
Audio Device(s) Onboard
i think you need to invest in a better psu, but i wouldnt put ur bsod's down to it without being positive thats what it is, am i right in saying you have the same mainboard as me or did they also make an earlier AM2 board (m,ines AM2+) because i have a hard time overclocking this board and have had frequent bsod's since purchasing it. after troubleshooting everything i came to the conclusion it was the memory but this was only an educated guess at best. i think the k9a2-cf doesnt overclock well and everytime i do it craps out on me and gives me bsod, the rest of my system is well upto the oc, but it just isnt stable hence im thinking the msi k9a2, is a good stable budget cf board with little to none oc capabilities

hmmn lol i have the msi k9a platinum its the old crossfire 3200 chipset

am2 not am2+

its been run at 3240 odd before so i know my board is fine

the psu has only got a 20pin atx connector also so it might not be getting a lot of power to the board fast or the correct amount of power

its a good crossfire board i have just that i only own a 8800gt so its not any use to me

i noticed it has a molex connector on the board for extra power to the graphics card, for crossfire stability and other stuff

the psu sucks anyway since it ran out of molex connectors, it dosnt even have any sata power connectors or pci ex connectors and it uses 6 fans!! 2 of which are daisy chained together

System Name Ma Biatch
Processor i7 860
Cooling Noctua
Video Card(s) GTX 470
Storage WD5000aaks raid0
Case CM 690
Audio Device(s) Onboard
what settings did you use to get to 3200mhz, like htt voltage/multiplier, cpu voltage, nb voltage etc, could do with some help to getting this X3 to 2.5/2.6Ghz

cpu is 1.35v +10% this board has a percentage voltage for extra to make it go as high as 1.7v i think
14x multi with i cant remember the bus speed
16x 200mhz is exactly 3200mhz

Ht link was for me at 600mhz but youve got a AM2+board and its HT link is different
Ht link was 1.4v and nb was 1.9v
my mobo has no ht link multi setting unfortunatly

its a shame my bios is up to 1.375v and not 1.4v because other people with my board get 1.4v

my ram is allways at 1.9v 800mhz if it goes higher i just bump up the voltage to 2v

try just raising the multi with it set at 200mhz

System Name PC
Processor i7 9700KF
Motherboard MSI Z390 A PRO
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000mhz
Video Card(s) PALIT RTX 4070 Dual 12Gb
Storage 2X Crucial MX500 2TB SSD, Samsung 850 pro 512gb SSD
Display(s) DELL C34H89x 34" Ultrawide
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D
Audio Device(s) Audioengine A5+ Speakers
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70
Software Windows 10 64bit
you going to spend about £10 per 100W for a decent psu...
but more importantly that the total wattage i would say is the amperage on the 12v rail/s

K

kyle2020

Because i have another thread and we came to conclusion that it was the psu.
Ive tried replacing the ram and cpu and i know my motherboard is fine, my graphics card isnt the problem either.

Recently i had a few IRQ bsods i used to get and i was told it was ram or driver realated. I replaced the ram with better stuff, i thought it was conflicting IRQ and memory addresses then i found out devices can share and use IRQ and memory address and this was normal.

It cant be a faulty cpu socket either as ive had cpus running in it before, i got bsods with my old cpu too so the problem has to be linked. Ive gotten vista ultimate 64x since changing hardware too so it cant be driver ect.

So i guessed it was the PSU, since when i overclock im guarenteed a bsod even i little overclock i knew it was the psu, the psu dosnt like increases in voltage and i have new hardware like my new hard drive and dvd drive i have lots of fans connected up too 6 of them in all.

I think the psu cant handle all that voltage and maybe the hardware needs a little more power.

Since its an old psu by at least 2yrs maybe more i knew i shouldnt be running it!

sorry for the long speech :eek:

Was the BSOD IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL? its just i have an EZ-cool PSU and i have been experiencing that bsod amongst others, i was tempted to buy new ram last week thinking it was that. I didnt know PSU's could cause BSOD's? :eek:

Processor Core i5 3570K
Motherboard AsRock z77 Pro4
Cooling Zalman CNPS10X Extreme
Memory 2x4GB GSkill Sniper
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970 Gaming
Storage 240GB OCZ ARC 100, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Display(s) LG 23" 1920x1080
Case Antec P100
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec Edge 750W
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64
+1 to the poster above. I run a frigteningly similar system to you and my Corsair 520HX powers it along nicely.

K

kyle2020

+1 to the poster above. I run a frigteningly similar system to you and my Corsair 520HX powers it along nicely.

that is quite scary haha - so no BSOD's or anything? i think ill go with that one posted as its just a bit more meaty, future proof for my Q6600.

Processor Core i5 3570K
Motherboard AsRock z77 Pro4
Cooling Zalman CNPS10X Extreme
Memory 2x4GB GSkill Sniper
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970 Gaming
Storage 240GB OCZ ARC 100, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Display(s) LG 23" 1920x1080
Case Antec P100
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec Edge 750W
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64
Never blackscreened due to power; handles my little OC nicely. More overhead for futureproofing should be nice for you though, especially with the quad plans. You can donate that Blacky to me when you get that built.:laugh:

BSOD IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL i do get those but i was getting some other errors

apparently if you change your drivers for your motherboard and your graphics card to the latest sometimes those type of BSOD disappear

it could be either the ram but the PSU is to blame for me

i dont think it can handle the voltage increases

its strange tho i havnt overclocked my pc and its worked fine so far

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/w2000Msgs/6077.mspx?mfr=true

If you encounter this error while upgrading to a newer version of Windows, it might be caused by a device driver, a system service, a virus scanner, or a backup tool that is incompatible with the new version.

Damn now im even more confused could it be trhe bios that is the problem for me then that would explain all that IRQ and memory address problems?

Still need a new PSU anyway since this is an old POS

K

kyle2020

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/w2000Msgs/6077.mspx?mfr=true

If you encounter this error while upgrading to a newer version of Windows, it might be caused by a device driver, a system service, a virus scanner, or a backup tool that is incompatible with the new version.

Damn now im even more confused could it be trhe bios that is the problem for me then that would explain all that IRQ and memory address problems?

Still need a new PSU anyway since this is an old POS

i flashed my bios at the first BSOD but it still comes, so i think you can rule that out. Ran memtest?

K

kyle2020

Never blackscreened due to power; handles my little OC nicely. More overhead for futureproofing should be nice for you though, especially with the quad plans. You can donate that Blacky to me when you get that built.:laugh:

haha ill sell it to you, as the egyptians would say, "For very nice price" lmao.

its not just ram its all memory on the pc so that includes graphics card memory and cpu cache

I KNOW IT CANT BE THE RAM OR THE CPU CACHE although why i cant overclock would seem to indicate it was cpu cache

cant be ram memtest is fine and its new, cant be cpu since my old one did this too and it worked fine for Dark who i bought it from

the link i see is the graphics card it could have faulty ram but there is no way of telling if that is the case

K

kyle2020

its not just ram its all memory on the pc so that includes graphics card memory and cpu cache

I KNOW IT CANT BE THE RAM OR THE CPU CACHE although why i cant overclock would seem to indicate it was cpu cache

cant be ram memtest is fine and its new, cant be cpu since my old one did this too and it worked fine for Dark who i bought it from

the link i see is the graphics card it could have faulty ram but there is no way of telling if that is the case

true. Im replacing my PSU anyway in time for the Quad upgrade, i just hope it solves both our problems!