• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Tt Giant III Fan control not working

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
Hi guys, as you can tell from my signature, I have a Tt Extreme Giant III on my 9800.
Sorry about the long story :p :
As most of you know this cooler has a fan control that can be fitted to the back of the PC, on any of the free slots.
The problem I have is that I recently changed my PSU because my old PSU died, I now a new 450W PSU, and after turning my PC I noticed the fan control was at the lowest setting, but the Tt cooler fan wasn't working.
I switched the fan to the middle speed, but still the fan wouldn't work. Then I moved the switch to the higher setting, and my PC suddenly turned off.
I tried to turn it on again to no avail, I removed the power cable, put the fan switch back to the medium speed, and turned on the PC without problems, but the fan didn't work again.
I removed the fan control panel, and checked it and there was an odd smell coming from it, like it had burned somehow, I put it back on the PC and it was working on all settings again like nothing had happened.
I tried switching the speeds a couple of times without problems, but then, after a few tries, I noticed only the high speed setting was working, and none of the other speeds has worked again since.

The thing is, the fan only works in high speed now, which is very noisy, and I want to know if it is possible to connect the fan to any PC connector so it doesn't work at full speed, the fan has a mollex connector, just like all HDD connectors.
Thanks for all your help! :)

Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
*BUMP*

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Lucas-10

Try this, disassemble the fan control switch and verify if no have short to ground or contact open when slide it. ;)

Lucas-10 said:
Try this, disassemble the fan control switch and verify if no have short to ground or contact open when slide it. ;)

Thanks Lucas, I tried that, the switch is protected by a thick gold plated aluminum shell, after removing it, I tried to switch beetwen the differnt fan speeds, and only the higher setting worked.
I disassambled the switch itself, and there wasn't any burned components or anything like that, altough it had a burnt smell.
At least switching to the high setting wont turn off my PC anymore.
The switch has some thick black rubber cables conected to it, and from this cables emerge the black and red cables that connect to the fan itself.
Is there anyway I could lower the voltage that goes to that fan so it wont run at full speed?

Thanx for the link Lucas, I'm gonna visit my local hardware stroe and most definitely give this mod a try, thank you very much, you're a life saver :) :cool: