• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Safe Buying and Selling Guide.

JC316

Knows what makes you tick
Heatware
77 0 0
System Name Budget Gaming
Processor AMD FX6300
Motherboard Gigabyte 880GMA-USB3
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Memory 8GB Ripjaws DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) HD7850 1GB
Storage 1TB Sata2
Display(s) Acer 24" LED
Case Generic black
Audio Device(s) Stock onboard
Power Supply FSP Aurum Gold 650W
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
I want to say this guide has been approved by a moderator for this section. Suggestions are welcome and will be implemented.

Safe Buying guide.

The number one thing that you want to look for is feedback. Feedback can be found in the form of heatware, Ebay, paypal or word of mouth. If a seller has at least 10 good transactions, then you are safer buying from them. If he has over 20, then you can really bet that he is a legit trader. Word of mouth is good too, if you get 10 people that say he is an excellent trader, then he probably is.

The second thing that you want to look for is post count and time registered. If someone has over 500 posts and has been registered for at least 3 months, then they have been here for a good while and it reduces the chances that they will scam you.

The third thing to look for is suspicious behavior. Very low prices, no feedback and lack of pictures would be the best examples of something to be wary of. More strange behavior can be being registered for a long time, yet having very few posts. Demanding paypal via non CC is also suspicious since you can't do a charge back.

You can also get the name, address and phone number of the seller. This will allow you to talk with the seller and make sure that you are getting the right person. You can also reverse lookup their phone number and make sure that the city and address matches up. Also, make sure to contact the e-mail of the heatware/ebay account to make sure that you are getting the right guy and not someone that's just using that feedback profile.

If the buyer doesn't have anything above, I suggest that you require that he ship first, before payment. If he refuses, then it would be best to just walk away as it is probably an attempt to steal from you.

If you follow these basic guidelines, then the odds are greatly reduced that you won't be scammed. This is not foolproof, so my final suggestion is that if you can't afford to lose the money, then don't try deal online. The temptation is high to just take the money and run since you feel like you are hidden on the internet and have no moral obligation to the buyer.

Safe Selling Guide:

As the seller, it's just as easy to get scammed out of your items and money. This can happen via fake checks, counterfeit money, and paypal charge backs.

Again, the number one thing to look for is feedback. If the member has good feedback, then you have more safety when dealing with them.

If they want to pay via paypal CC, make sure that they have a confirmed address. This is extremely important because if they do not, and they perform a charge back, you are NOT protected by paypal. You loose your item and your money. Also for paypal, I recommend transferring the money from your paypal to a bank account ASAP, because if they do charge back, then your money is automatically removed, if it's already been transferred, then your paypal account goes into the negative balance. This will give you time to sort the problem out with your buyer. If you ship to a confirmed address, you are protected from a charge back and do not need to do this

If they are paying with a money order or check, make sure that the money clears the bank before shipping the item out.

If they pay with cash, use a counterfeit checking pen to insure that the bill is real.

These steps will insure that you are safe from someone that's attempting to steal your items.

Last edited:
Heatware
116 0 0
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I would like to mention that if a newer user, or someone with little to no heatware feedback wants to sell you something here, it would be in your best interest to get some personal information from them before giving them your money. Protect yourself. :)

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
I would also like to add its smart to write down the serial numbers of anything you sell. An old scam is to buy the exact same product you have broken. When the working part comes in you switch it out with the broken one and tell the seller his goods are broken. They get stuck with your broken part and you get a new working one for free.

If you write down the serial number this can avoid such scams.

Heatware
1121 0 0
System Name Server
Processor Dual Intel Xeon E5645
Motherboard Supermicro X8DTH-6
Cooling Supermicro SNK-P0038P
Memory 98gb (12x8gb) PC3-10600R
Video Card(s) Matrox G200eW
Storage Samsung 840 512gb, 2x146gb 2.5" SAS 15k in Raid (OS), 4x300gb 3.5" SAS 15k in Raid (Data)
Display(s) Two 19" Westinghouse LCM-19V5 LCD's
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Generic
Power Supply Rosewill Capstone Series G1200
Mouse Logitech Wheel Mouse
Keyboard Macally
Software Win7
Sellers, Be careful out there. Possible new "scam" tactic.

I wanted to post this up as a warning to many sellers out there.

I have noticed a frightening trend where buyers will swoop in and pay full price for your item(s) listed for sale. However, after they get it, they'll nit pick over every detail and threaten you with negative evaluations or paypal claims unless you give them a partial refund.

My suggestion is, rather than cave to these extortion type tactics, simply tell them to return the items and offer them a full refund, no more no less.

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up so people are aware this is out there.

Heatware
90 0 0
I would also like to add its smart to write down the serial numbers of anything you sell. An old scam is to buy the exact same product you have broken. When the working part comes in you switch it out with the broken one and tell the seller his goods are broken. They get stuck with your broken part and you get a new working one for free.

If you write down the serial number this can avoid such scams.

This approach has been tried a few times on me already. And with some wisdom, I've kept a small log of serial numbers to counter that. However, people being desparate with limited funds will actually swap out the broke part and send your item back asking for a refund.

So, I started using a simple techequie. Use a marker that only shows up under black light. Just place a few dots on parts that could be swapped out by the buyer. This way, you have the evidence the part was tampered with prior to the return.

These marker pens (invisible markers) run about $5~$8 at Walmart or a craft store. They last for years. So, if you are selling a graphics card with heat-sink and fan. Just a dot on each component verifies the items you had sent. ;)

As the economy gets worse, people are getting more crafty more often returning goods with swapped out parts. Seller be aware.

Heatware
1121 0 0
System Name Server
Processor Dual Intel Xeon E5645
Motherboard Supermicro X8DTH-6
Cooling Supermicro SNK-P0038P
Memory 98gb (12x8gb) PC3-10600R
Video Card(s) Matrox G200eW
Storage Samsung 840 512gb, 2x146gb 2.5" SAS 15k in Raid (OS), 4x300gb 3.5" SAS 15k in Raid (Data)
Display(s) Two 19" Westinghouse LCM-19V5 LCD's
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Generic
Power Supply Rosewill Capstone Series G1200
Mouse Logitech Wheel Mouse
Keyboard Macally
Software Win7
Unfortunately if you accept payment by paypal, you can collect all the evidence you want and ultimately paypal will still side with the buyer. I had serial numbers, photos and all the documentation needed to prove they tampered with items and paypal still sided with them and I had to refund.

Heatware
116 0 0
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I would like to mention that if a newer user, or someone with little to no heatware feedback wants to sell you something here, it would be in your best interest to get some personal information from them before giving them your money. Protect yourself. :)

I'd like to stress this again, due to some bad dealings across some other forums as of late. Be smart everyone! ;)

t_ski

Former Staff
Heatware
867 0 0
System Name My i7 Beast
Processor Intel Core i7 6800K
Motherboard Asus X99-A II
Cooling Nickel-plated EK Supremacy EVO, D5 with XSPC Bayres & BIX Quad Radiator
Memory 4 x 8GB EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SuperClocked
Storage Samsung 950 Pro 256GB m.2 SSD + 480GB Sandisk storage SSD
Display(s) Three Asus 24" VW246H LCD's
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
If you have better feedback that someone who's new, it never hurts to expect them to ship first. I figure if I can prove myself with my awesome heat and they still won't ship first, either they are no legit or not worth dealing with.

Heatware
0 0 0
System Name Cruncher
Processor AMD Opteron 6272 G34 processor cores 2x 16 cores = 32 cores @ 2.10 GHz 64-bit capable
Motherboard SuperMicro AMD Opteron 6272 H8DGI-F dual cpu
Cooling Air
Memory 18 gig installed (RAM) 16.00 GB useable ddr3 1333 fsb
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 390 Direct CU II 8GB Ram
Storage all different sata 2 2gb Primary hard disk 139GB Free (442GB Total)
Display(s) view sonic VA2238wm-LED Primary monitor resolution 1920x1080 DirectX 11
Case Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) pcie hd
Power Supply SHAW Viper 1500 watts
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard ASUS
Software Windows 7 Professional 64-bit operating system
Hi all, just been looking throw the items for sale. I think the Idea is great, But there is one thing that has already annoyed me very much... and that is the pages and pages of Bump Bumps and BUMPS. o_O

Now I have nothing against a post being bumped once a day, but it would be much easier for people to find real info if the old bumps were deleted, when a new bump is added. :slap:

What would be a great function is to have just a 'Bump Button' and when a person hits it the last bump post created by the button script is deleted allowing for a cleaner layout also you will see the real amount of real posts and replies by a person and not the 1000 bumps they have made.:toast:

t_ski

Former Staff
Heatware
867 0 0
System Name My i7 Beast
Processor Intel Core i7 6800K
Motherboard Asus X99-A II
Cooling Nickel-plated EK Supremacy EVO, D5 with XSPC Bayres & BIX Quad Radiator
Memory 4 x 8GB EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SuperClocked
Storage Samsung 950 Pro 256GB m.2 SSD + 480GB Sandisk storage SSD
Display(s) Three Asus 24" VW246H LCD's
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
Thread cleanup can be requested by a moderator, or you can start a new thread. I don't know if a "bump button" would provide feedback to the staff if someone is violating the bump policy.

Either way, I don't believe that is relevant to the point of this thread, which is how to not get screwed when buying and selling. Your suggestion is probably more related to forum feedback.

Heatware
0 0 0
System Name Cruncher
Processor AMD Opteron 6272 G34 processor cores 2x 16 cores = 32 cores @ 2.10 GHz 64-bit capable
Motherboard SuperMicro AMD Opteron 6272 H8DGI-F dual cpu
Cooling Air
Memory 18 gig installed (RAM) 16.00 GB useable ddr3 1333 fsb
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 390 Direct CU II 8GB Ram
Storage all different sata 2 2gb Primary hard disk 139GB Free (442GB Total)
Display(s) view sonic VA2238wm-LED Primary monitor resolution 1920x1080 DirectX 11
Case Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) pcie hd
Power Supply SHAW Viper 1500 watts
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard ASUS
Software Windows 7 Professional 64-bit operating system
Thread cleanup can be requested by a moderator, or you can start a new thread. I don't know if a "bump button" would provide feedback to the staff if someone is violating the bump policy.

Either way, I don't believe that is relevant to the point of this thread, which is how to not get screwed when buying and selling. Your suggestion is probably more related to forum feedback.

Ok thanks for the heads up if anyone else would like to reply to my last post please do so by going to http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...ges-and-pages-of-bump-bumps-and-bumps.196856/ to not that this topic off course.

Thanks... look forward to your thoughts there.

Heatware
0 0 0
System Name Scan 3XS System
Processor Intel Core i7 11700K
Motherboard ASUS TUF GAMING Z590-PLUS WIFI
Cooling Corsair Hydro H150i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO [3000MHz 2x8GB]
Video Card(s) 10GB EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 ULTRA GAMING
Storage 1TB Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus, 2TB Seagate HDD, 240GB Kingston SSD
Display(s) Samsung C32JG5x Curved, 1080p, 1920 x 1080
Case Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB
Audio Device(s) USB Speakers 2.1
Power Supply Corsair RM750x 80PLUS GOLD
Mouse Razer Mouse
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit 22H2 (10.0.19045).4170 22H2
As a would-be first time seller this info really helps making my decision to sell or not sell,, it pays to go through these forums for seriously advice.

Thanks to everyone for their much appreciated information.