• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Distance Texture/Detail/Rendering problems on HD4850X2

captain LEMONed

Please read before you say its the game engine:

I just built a PC last week, and after finally getting everything ready I was ready to play. :laugh: But sadly, after a few hours I noticed some glaring problems. With all Source games, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC, Fallout 3, there seems to be a limit to the full rendering or detail of distance. Many big objects will either pop in, be there and not fully rendered in detail until I am 5 ft. away from them. In games of instance in Team Fortress 2 and in other Source games, player models lose decals after they reach 10-15 ft. Objects will fade after 15-20 feet. Grass (in Source games) will not start showing up until 10ft. and will quickly fade into view as I walk forward.

I have tried, for the source games, to mess with the engine using tweak guides as with the expectation that it may be the game engine, but the only thing that will do anything is the r_lod -5, which will fix the player models losing decals, but other then having to do that with an autoconfig file, nothing else seems to have an effect on changing my draw, rendering, and detail distances. All of this I have used tweak guides for, but none of it has any effect on the game.

I have tried, a few of the different drivers 8.10, 8.6 (CD version), STALKER/Farcry hotfix (which BSOD me when trying to crossfire on) to no avail. I have thought that it could possibly be STALKER or another game affecting it, as in my old computer when I installed Vampire The Masquerade it seemed to effect the distance in my Source games in the same manner. But uninstalling, installing and all that has done nothing. I have reformated and put a new Vista64 and tried new drivers with the same outcome.

I'm stumped, and I hope you guys are bad enough dudes to help me out. Especially with Left4Dead demo coming out today. Seriously any help would be awesome and come with much thanks. In the following days, I may try installing XP64 to see if better results, but I would really like to enjoy DirectX10 since I especially made them system for Vista.

I tend to run games at 1920x1200 at pretty much the highest settings possible.

Some specs:

2 Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256bit GDDR3 - Crossfire'd
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2X2GB) DDR2
Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66 GHZ
ASUS P5Q Pro
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB
Vista 64 Ultimate

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 1700 @ 3.825ghz 1.36v
Motherboard ASRock x370 Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-C14s
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB 16gb 3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 ti
Display(s) LG 4k IPS
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 + more fans
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply EVGA P2 750w
Mouse G900
Keyboard G810
Software Windows 10 Pro
I had the hotfix blue screen me too. Keep crossfire off, then reboot a few times til suddenly for some reason you boot with low res and your cards are sorta disabled. Reboot again and fixed. Its linked with the other drivers not working right first reboot.

I have no issues in source games, but lighting does flicker for me in Fallout 3.
As for stuff popping up, im pretty sure it does that in alot of games and not just our cards. I dont think you mean literally for the distance though. If you do, im thinking of something else. Stick with regular 8.9, 8.10 or try the beta 8.11, they werent bad. Using hotfix atm, but its weird for us.

captain LEMONed

Sure, okay. I will re-try the hotfix. But I am very literal on the distance. There will be say in Fallout 3 or in a Source game, certain textures/props that will just either pop up instantaneously within' 5-10ft of them. Some objects will not be fully detailed until the same distance is achieved. In horribly obvious manners. This is all made worse that when these things happen, especially the poping or the instant rendering of detail hitches my computer and loads the object, I assume.

elmakina

I have the same problems as you have, textures just change when im 10-5ft near very weird, look I have a video of it here---> http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=3rG6K0Ui4JE

Im running Vista 64 ultimate on q9450 @2,66 4GB DDR3 1333 and GTX 280 my PSU is enermax infinity 720W, no one can tell a solution to this problem.

It happen in all newest games, like far cry 2, cod5 beta, crysis....:mad:

Tried in FarCry2 gfx_lodscale to 0 and now i can see textures better but cause me a lot of lag.

System Name Sovereign // HTPC
Processor i7 3770k 4.2 // i7 3770k 4.2
Motherboard Maximus V Gene // Sabertooth Z77
Cooling Noctua D14 // Intel HSF
Memory 16GB Samsung // 16GB VengeanceLP
Video Card(s) Deciding // 660 DC2
Storage OS (X25-M), Data (Seagate 1TB) // Samsung 840 120GB & bunch of drives
Display(s) Samsung T240HD // LG TV
Case TJ08e // Grandia GD08
Audio Device(s) DT880 Pro 250 ohm // TV speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Plat 1000 // Seasonic Gold 760
Software Windows 8 Pro x64 // Windows 7 Pro x64
I think you meant 2X HD4850

captain LEMONed

I have the same problems as you have, textures just change when im 10-5ft near very weird, look I have a video of it here---> http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=3rG6K0Ui4JE

Im running Vista 64 ultimate on q9450 @2,66 4GB DDR3 1333 and GTX 280 my PSU is enermax infinity 720W, no one can tell a solution to this problem.

It happen in all newest games, like far cry 2, cod5 beta, crysis....:mad:

Tried in FarCry2 gfx_lodscale to 0 and now i can see textures better but cause me a lot of lag.

Thank you elmakina, for the video. This is exactly the problem I have been having with practically all my games. And I'm personally stumped.

As for an update I have just tried moving my videocards around and trying each one separately, both will still have this problem. Once again I gave up on installing the hotfix as it still BSOD unforgiving, and it just got tiring. Tried different resolutions. Its even worse at lower resolution where every step it is constantly loading in new textures practically and objects.

I will try a few of the other drivers, obviously cleaning out everything old and reinstalling fresh. From what I read about past problems like this with ATI cards is it is either the driver or something assuming the graphics of the game are to be processed like watching a video. But that is just a theory. Either today I will revert back to XP64. :banghead: or tomorrow.

But thanks for the video, after searching for many threads, I was beginning to think I was one of the very few who have this problem (lucky me).

elmakina

I have 2x gtx280 on SLI, temperatures are ok and also cpu and mem passed the test.

Btw you have Vista x64, it could be related to vista or maybe the game it self, Im using vista x64 too.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Sounds like a driver issue, uninstall your drivers completely, then use drivercleaner, reboot again, and then install.

After flashing a custom BIOS on my old X1800XT it would take me four reboots and two cleanings and one reinstall of drivers to get it working correctly.

captain LEMONed

Sounds like a driver issue, uninstall your drivers completely, then use drivercleaner, reboot again, and then install.

After flashing a custom BIOS on my old X1800XT it would take me four reboots and two cleanings and one reinstall of drivers to get it working correctly.

Well I've pretty much tried every driver and specifically used driver-cleaner. Each fresh install resorts to the same problem. For my next demonstration in a little while I will be reformatting to XP64 to see if its a Vista problem. Annndd if that doesn't work, then I'm really stumped.