• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PSU Purchase Guide

Damian^

System Name Quad Damage
Processor AMD Phenom II x4 965
Motherboard MSI 785GM-E65
Cooling Thermaltake Contac 29
Memory DDR3 6gb 1533Mhz
Video Card(s) 9800gt (HD4200 for now)
Storage Seagate 250GB 7200RPM/Hitatchi 500GB
Display(s) Acer AL2216 22" (1680X1050)
Case Antec 300
Power Supply Corsair VX550W
Software Vista Home Premium 64bit
Hey guys just thought I'd post some links and what not for some pretty helpful information on how to base a decision what kind of power supply one needs. For the beginners/tech junkies.

I know I know I'm always posting when it comes to power supplies, but they're so easy to talk about. Heck half my posts are in PSU threads and I don't even specialize in that area :laugh: (I'm more of a RAM/Cooling person ;)) Just goes to show how simple it is to base ones thoughts on them.

1. Panchoman's PSU guide.
Certainly a great buyers guide for well known brands/OEMS

2. The Truth About Graphics Power Requirements V2
http://archive.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=2&c=7&t=9354
I hope people understand the truth about just how much power is needed for video cards and that you don't need to go crazy on the watts when buying a simple gaming/overclocking machine. I like to think of this link as a bible for whenever I need to find out how much wattage is needed for my builds and other people's builds.

3. Proving you don't need a huge PSU to run a Hi-End System, Dispelling the myth Link

4. Everything you need to know about power supplies link
For the tech junkies! :toast:

5. Why 99% of Power Supply Reviews Are Wrong link
Guys! please read this article follow this artile live by this article! :)

6. 80+ certified PSU's link

7. Single vs. 12V rail (ITS A HOAX!) link
Forget rails and amps (well not entirely but you know what i will mean) first look for a unit that can actually deliver its rated output. Then look for a unit with at least 25A~30A or more on a rail (this isn't anything official but its just how I shop for units)

Well I was bored and I figured might as well post links for any beginners or people like me just wanting to learn and learn and learn and learn :)

Just a little tip when buying a unit:
Find out how much power your computer needs first, add a couple watts (100~150) so you have some headroom which can result in less heat which will result in greater efficiency. Once you find your predetermined wattage look for a well known brand that is known for using quality parts and know what they're doing. Then make a rough estimate on how many amps you will need. Follow Panchomans guide!

I'm a man of giving credit where credit is due but I'm also lazy so the credit can be found in the links. The work/articles that i pointed out which can be led to by the links above re not mine. I don't accept any credit of it.

Regards

Damian :toast:

System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL